The future of Hannibal Mejbri - will he get a real chance this season?

Daengophile

I fully expect him to ride onto the Old Trafford turf on the back of a huge elephant with Beefy Botham behind him and to score 3 goals

mctrials23

Main fear is that he looks very lightweight and will just get bullied. Plenty of players who are good enough that being skinny isn't an issue but there are far more that it causes issues for.

Smores

Main fear is that he looks very lightweight and will just get bullied. Plenty of players who are good enough that being skinny isn't an issue but there are far more that it causes issues for.
Nothing unusual for a lad of his age, he'll get gametime to get used to mens football and he'll no doubt be in the gym building up some muscle.

He's not that bad at holding players off to be fair, they usually have to foul him. If you've got good balance and control it's no where near as much of an issue.

mctrials23

Nothing unusual for a lad of his age, he'll get gametime to get used to mens football and he'll no doubt be in the gym building up some muscle.

He's not that bad at holding players off to be fair, they usually have to foul him. If you've got good balance and control it's no where near as much of an issue.
Yeah, like I said, he might be alright, he might not. David Silva was absolutely fine, Juan Mata looks like he would struggle at under 10s level when it comes to the physicality.

Hackman2210

Give the kid a chance - he may surprise everyone! Problem is Man Utd is such a high pressure environment for young players. If he isnt in the plans then loan him - the boy needs competitive football to develope.

Reactions: Cheimoon

mavradal

Really feels like Ragnick fancies Shoretire and Iqbal a ton more, it would appear Mejbri is way down the pecking order in his plans.

@Reapersoul20: The reason is that he chose those two over him to play in the CL match against Young Boys(sorry I am out of posts for the day so I can't reply anymore)

LE: I thought Arab Cup started after that match, mea culpa. Thanks for that, @Adnan and @pratyush_utd.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Really feels like Ragnick fancies Shoretire and Iqbal a ton more, it would appear Mejbri is way down the pecking order in his plans.

@Reapersoul20: The reason is that he chose those two over him to play in the CL match against Young Boys(sorry I am out of posts for the day so I can't reply anymore)
Hannibal wasn't available for selection due to being away with Tunisia at the Arab Cup.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Mejbri has been away on International commitments for 2 months now.

Should be back this week.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
With the 4 players out (Edinson, Lindelof, Bailly, Lingard) it would make sense that he'll minimum make the bench against Boro. Not that many other options with the players we've loaned out

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Promising. It makes sense to blood him into the mix now.

Hopefully his experiences with Tunisia will help him adapt even quicker.

Rolaholic

Yeah, like I said, he might be alright, he might not. David Silva was absolutely fine, Juan Mata looks like he would struggle at under 10s level when it comes to the physicality.
Some of the greatest midfielders we've ever seen like Modric, Iniesta and Pirlo were never physically imposing. Same for other great players like Veratti and Messi.

Don't think that's a massive detriment in football like it is for other sports if the player is still technically proficient and sound like Hannibal looks.

That being said, he's still 6 ft and around 80 kilos so he's not exactly diminutive :lol:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I know the pressures off in a sense as he’s an interim manager, but he’s already way more willing to use the young players than I remember Ole being. Ole only really has Greenwood to take credit for.

mctrials23

That being said, he's still 6 ft and around 80 kilos so he's not exactly diminutive :lol:
Really?? I am 6'2" and just over 80KG and I am quite a bit larger than he is and much more muscular. I would be amazed if he is much more than early 70s in KG.

Asger

I know the pressures off in a sense as he’s an interim manager, but he’s already way more willing to use the young players than I remember Ole being. Ole only really has Greenwood to take credit for.
I wonder if Ralf would have used Angel Gomes more at the time.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I wonder if Ralf would have used Angel Gomes more at the time.
Seems like a few factors falling into place as does happen from time to time. Injuries, sales/loans, suspensions and young players showing form and growth that can’t be ignored any longer. I honestly think for Ole to have put Elanga or Hannibal in last season it wouldn’t have worked out anyway. He did the best thing for them and now they have the best chance of success with an actual pathway into the team with a year more experience and physical growth behind them

Asger

How's he doing anyway?
He has played 12 games in Ligue 1 No assist or goal. I have seen few games and highlights from the league this season and he playes most of the times as left winger in 4-4-2.

CL: 3 games, 1 assist and 1 goal
Coupe de France: 2 games, 1 goal

He should have choose other than France league. Its physical league I would say. But who knows maybe with time he will benefits from it.

meamth

Some of the greatest midfielders we've ever seen like Modric, Iniesta and Pirlo were never physically imposing. Same for other great players like Veratti and Messi.

Don't think that's a massive detriment in football like it is for other sports if the player is still technically proficient and sound like Hannibal looks.

You're right.

Jorginho as the thinnest leg I've ever seen for a midfielder. He certainly dominates the midfield in PL.

MUFC OK

Would love it if we could develop him into a holding midfield playmaker to address the never ending number 6 issue. Seems like he loves to burst forward though from what I've seen of him. Would like to see him given plenty of chances before the end of the season.

He can't be anymore wasteful/conservative than the likes of Mctom and Fred have been for the last few years.

reddevilz007

Garner as a 6, Hannibal as one of the two 8s.
Hopefully both can add a few pounds of muscles for next season, get on the Goretzka regime.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think when physicality is talked about in relation to the game today, I don't believe the focus is on physical strength per say, but rather stamina levels, ground coverage and intensity. So when I evaluate a player of Hannibal's profile, who is a player that looks to provide the class and guile in central areas in possession. It's easy to see that he also provides a high energy game off the ball that should help him greatly in the game today. He's also a versatile player and has the potential to develop in a deeper or advanced central role.

Last edited:

Marwood

Garner as a 6, Hannibal as one of the two 8s.
Hopefully both can add a few pounds of muscles for next season, get on the Goretzka regime.
I'm always s bit surprised as to how little muscle the young guys add. Or how long it takes.

Speako

I know the game has changed, but we dominated world football with two centre midfielders who were 5ft 6 and 5ft 10. Mourinho’s obsession and belief that your mids need to be the size of Rugby League second rowers to win titles is flawed. He’ll be fine.

Gentile’s Ghost

I know the game has changed, but we dominated world football with two centre midfielders who were 5ft 6 and 5ft 10. Mourinho’s obsession and belief that your mids need to be the size of Rugby League second rowers to win titles is flawed. He’ll be fine.
To be fair, quite a few of the Rugby League second row forwards I’ve watched would likely be a defensive improvement on what currently masquerade in that role at OT. At least the ”fear factor” would be restored, their legs wouldn’t go after 60 mins and the “press” would actually become more of a “hunt”!!

Bestietom

LE: I thought Arab Cup started after that match, mea culpa. Thanks for that, @Adnan and @pratyush_utd.
Why do you think that. Rangnick praised him after Arab cup games and said he would go straight into squad.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Outside of maybe the City and Liverpool matches, I just want to see him given a chance. Would certainly make the season a lot more enjoyable and he's got all the talent in the world. The kid is ready.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Only got home in time to watch the second half, but he was taking the piss against Dortmund out there tonight. They could barely get near him (legally). Kid looks a dead cert. This is the sort of talent we need to be giving a proper chance to.

AshRK

He is such a class player. How is the likes of Lingard playing ahead of him. He has to start featuring.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Good talent for sure but looking at that game, that Dortmund midfield was rubbish, he wouldn't waltz past prem players so easily.

Bwuk

Good talent for sure but looking at that game, that Dortmund midfield was rubbish, he wouldn't waltz past prem players so easily.
My thoughts too. He also faded in and out the game quite a bit.

Either needs a chance in the team or a loan next year.