The future of Hannibal Mejbri - will he get a real chance this season?

L1nk

I think we could do with signing a DM and CM sure, but would love to see him be a bigger contributer to that midfield on a consistent basis next season

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Too good for that level, he appears ready to step up and should be given a chance before the end of the season. A pre season friendly against Toronto fc isn’t sufficient to give our new manager an idea of where he is at.

Grande

In exactly the way I said. Let’s not forget he’s already been sent off for arguing with referees. And he came closest to completely losing his head last night after an opposition player handled the ball, nothing to do with a bad tackle. In fact, he kept his composure quite well the one time he did get a nasty foul.
He seems to have a temperament somewhere between Cantona, Bruno and Keano. I think it is part of his strength, yeaterday he bounced back and became more intent and active in his playing after he got wound up, which is the way we want it. When we fell behind, he was the one who got going in stead of slumping back.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Perhaps, but what else was he supposed to do tonight? He waltzed past what was put in front of him, in a manner that the other players were not waltzing. The credit is still due.
Sure, just being a bit careful about expectations of him in the first team. I would like to see him get a chance as much as anyone.

Devil may care

I think we could do with signing a DM and CM sure, but would love to see him be a bigger contributer to that midfield on a consistent basis next season
I know some fans feel his future is as a #8 but I'd start him out as Bruno's understudy next season.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
In exactly the way I said. Let’s not forget he’s already been sent off for arguing with referees. And he came closest to completely losing his head last night after an opposition player handled the ball, nothing to do with a bad tackle. In fact, he kept his composure quite well the one time he did get a nasty foul.
In the same game, his opponents should have seen 2-3 red cards. Bruno complains all the time so not sure why it will be an issue when Hannibal does it. And that handball incident was blatant foul which any team would have complained vociferously. Hannibal complaining about the decision makes sense as he was the captain.

He was chosen as captain, its obvious that the staff at United believe in him.

lex talionis

Hannibal won't be given a chance this season, at least not until we're mathematically out of the running for fourth place. Next season, it seems likely.

Bondi77

If he looks better in training than the first teamers than I cannot see why he would not be given an opportunity.
Top teams train like they play so it makes sense.

Devil may care

‘Bruno’s understudy’ will barely get a kick. I think we need him in the middle.
if Bruno remains untouchable we're fecked anyway, and I doubt any manager is going to trust Hannibal in deeper midfield for 2 or 3 years yet.

mav_9me

In the same game, his opponents should have seen 2-3 red cards. Bruno complains all the time so not sure why it will be an issue when Hannibal does it. And that handball incident was blatant foul which any team would have complained vociferously. Hannibal complaining about the decision makes sense as he was the captain.

Good point

edcunited1878

He first needs to know what position he'll be tasked to play in, then can be maximized by the first team manager and club.

If Pogba goes, then potential central midfielders next season include: New CM, Fred, McTominay, Garner, Hannibal, and maybe Matic. Can also consider Bruno, if the club wants to really have a proper 3 man midfield...then there's also VDB. Potentially 7 players (not including Matic) for three central midfield positions. That is at least one too many players.

jesperjaap

if Bruno remains untouchable we're fecked anyway, and I doubt any manager is going to trust Hannibal in deeper midfield for 2 or 3 years yet.
I agree. Get the love for Fernandes based on his firt 4/5months at the club. But surprised until the last couple of weeks he seems exempt from criticism and you are barraged with stats if dare do so. He has been just as sloppy and inconsistant as some of the other profile names that get slaugtered for months now.

Like almost every other position on the pitch currently, Fernandes doesnt need an understudy, he needs competition as he hasnt been good enough either

In Rainbows

Who's the bigger talent- Hannibal or Zidan Iqbal?
Hannibal has more energy, and I personally think he's calmer when under pressure. Even with the ball in the air, Hannibal finds a way to cooly deal with the situation. Which is an underrated part of a technical skillset, where even the best technical players might not have.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Hannibal has more energy, and I personally think he's calmer when under pressure. Even with the ball in the air, Hannibal finds a way to cooly deal with the situation. Which is an underrated part of a technical skillset, where even the best technical players might not have.
I noticed that in the Dortmund game highlights, I might not have watched him properly in a while, but he does seem a lot more composed and mature. Like he knows he's the best player on the pitch at this level. I hope that can transcend to the mens game.

Kramer

I think any injury to our midfielders and Hannibal will be in the first team squad.

He’s on the cusp. I think he’s done enough in the U-23’s to deserve a call up.

But it’s much harder making the step up to men’s football when you’re playing in midfield, unlike someone like Elanga in the forward positions.

gormless

I know he’s so talented but after the massive disappointments we have had with Rossi and Pique, Morrison, Wilson, Greenwood and to an extent Pogba not contributing to the clubs first team, I just can’t get excited.

wise_old_man

I know he’s so talented but after the massive disappointments we have had with Rossi and Pique, Morrison, Wilson, Greenwood and to an extent Pogba not contributing to the clubs first team, I just can’t get excited.
I think we can trust the talented midfield youngsters in the hands of a coach a bit obsessed with philosophy like Rangnick, Pep Guardiola and to an extent, Van Gaal. Young midfield players tend to flourish under that profile of coach.

Golden Nugget

When he eventually does get a run of games I just hope people can be patient and realistic, give him time and remember he’s still a young kid with a great future ahead of him.

I mean, just look at the Diallo and Elanga threads

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Interesting point indeed.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Pique needed more time, and he got it at Barcelona and turned out world class. Greenwood is one of the best young footballers in the world and saved our ass quite a few times at 19 years old. Pogba went to Juventus and did great.

You have to look at the overall context. He's way too good for youth level football, always targeted and doesn't get protection by refs. What is the point of continuing that experiment? He'll develop further and faster by playing first team football. As it is, we have no one close to his skill set in midfield.

I was hoping Rangnick would have already given him minutes, actually hoped he'd start against Boro in the Cup. With 3 crucial games coming up, I suspect he won't get any closer than maybe being an unused sub for a game or two this month, but come April, I want to see him get minutes.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
1. Mejbri
2. Galbraith
3. Iqbal

Our three best youth midfielders
Galbraith is a solid player but Garner's playing at an objectively higher level and against better opposition including some good performances against PL sides, I also feel Garner's performances before his initial loan to Watford were far better than anything I've ever seen from Galbraith. Even when they were in the same midfield together I never saw anything that had Galbraith above Garner, at least in my opinion.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
How long is his deal? I remember him signing one last year but I can’t remember if it was a proper one or one of those 3 year ones teenagers get.

AltiUn

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Yagami

Good post resistant
Galbraith is a solid player but Garner's playing at an objectively higher level and against better opposition including some good performances against PL sides, I also feel Garner's performances before his initial loan to Watford were far better than anything I've ever seen from Galbraith. Even when they were in the same midfield together I never saw anything that had Galbraith above Garner, at least in my opinion.
Fair enough, mate. Personally, I just don't rate Garner. Galbraith, on the other hand, is one of my favourite players I've ever watched in our academy, and his press resistance is a key factor in that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We should have an uninterrupted pre-season for the first time in a long time this year, and hopefully he features a lot. No summer tournament, no covid restrictions- which is just as well with a new manager coming in.

Devil may care

I agree. Get the love for Fernandes based on his firt 4/5months at the club. But surprised until the last couple of weeks he seems exempt from criticism and you are barraged with stats if dare do so. He has been just as sloppy and inconsistant as some of the other profile names that get slaugtered for months now.

Like almost every other position on the pitch currently, Fernandes doesnt need an understudy, he needs competition as he hasnt been good enough either
Agreed, Bruno should be under the same pressure as Rashford and Maguire are now under, where they're fighting for their place, whether Hannibal is ready to push him like that I don't know, but I'd like to find out.

AltiUn

Agreed, Bruno should be under the same pressure as Rashford and Maguire are now under, where they're fighting for their place, whether Hannibal is ready to push him like that I don't know, but I'd like to find out.
Should he? Fernandes is actively contributing unlike the other two, he’s our 2nd top scorer and our top assister. No one in our squad is capable of replicating that productivity.

Devil may care

Should he? Fernandes is actively contributing unlike the other two, he’s our 2nd top scorer and our top assister. No one in our squad is capable of replicating that productivity.
He also gives the ball away constantly and attacks regularly break down when it comes to him, there's more to teamwork than just stats.