The future of Hannibal Mejbri - will he get a real chance this season?

Thiagoal

Thought he was anonymous in the first half but really grew in stature as the game developed. I can only see him having cameos as an attacking left forward position for the first team at present but an exciting talent clearly

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Good talent for sure but looking at that game, that Dortmund midfield was rubbish, he wouldn't waltz past prem players so easily.
Perhaps, but what else was he supposed to do tonight? He waltzed past what was put in front of him, in a manner that the other players were not waltzing. The credit is still due.

Based Adnan

He clearly gets targeted at youth level. It's criminal he hasn't even had appearances off the bench for the first team when we have the likes of Mata and Lingard taking up spots every week.

jesperjaap

Not seen much of him and read he can play several positions. I cant help but think from the little i have seen that he looks perfect for the Fernandes role. Love to see him as an understudy there, but it seems Fernandes is undroppable and hardl ever taken off either, so opprtunities for minutes there unlikely

Njord

Good talent for sure but looking at that game, that Dortmund midfield was rubbish, he wouldn't waltz past prem players so easily.
If he was consistenly waltzing past prem players and setting up team mates like he did in the second half, he would already be one of the best midfielder in the world.

Glorio

I've always said I reckon he would thrive. He's outrageously talented, is a hard worker, and has zero fear.

Incidentally our boys struggle to win every game, so there are very few low pressure periods (where the game us won) to bring him in. Either way, I think when trying to unlock defenses, he could be key to bring off the bench

mav_9me

I'll be honest I am surprised he hasn't been given gametime so far by Rangnick. Particularly after he spoke well about him. I would play him alongside McT in a middle 2 with Sancho, Pogba and Bruno behind a striker.

gregor

I think he would be perfect for Rangnick's 4-2-2-2 system. Or left sided attacker in 4-1-4-1 formation with Pogba, Bruno and Sancho as other three players behind striker.

In Rainbows

I think he would be perfect for Rangnick's 4-2-2-2 system. Or left sided attacker in 4-1-4-1 formation with Pogba, Bruno and Sancho as other three players behind striker.
I feel like it's a waste to have him play in a position that is easier to fulfill. He has the potential to be a metronome midfielder like Modric. That's a much harder position to fill, with a possible greater reward to top it off.

Mainoldo

Can’t see him being a player until he’s 22. But the boy has talent.

ash_86

Brilliant performance. Receiving ball in half turn and drive in the midfield already his trademark.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Brilliant performance. Receiving ball in half turn and drive in the midfield already his trademark.
He’s an excellent footballer. Destined for the first team. I get Pogba vibes from some of our posters on here for some reason. That they don’t like him and are already looking for negatives and ignoring positives. I hope I’m wrong and this lad is given a chance by our supporters.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He has a lot of abilities that are easily translatable to the higher level. Spacial awareness, weight of pass, vision. Those things are there whoever he is playing against.

He's almost ready. Won't get any minutes in March with our fixtures, but I'd be amazed if he isn't pushing for starts early next season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He always looks brilliant in the youth teams. My only worry is he was rather anonymous when playing for Tunisia.

That could be because they don’t suit his style or just aren’t very good, I don’t know.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Needs to fill out looking at him his calves and across his shoulders seem very light. And yes hi Modric

RomfordRed75

I've been very impressed with what I have seen of him so far he is great on the ball and he seems to have that real desire to win, which is sadly lacking from a majority of our first team squad!
He was tearing around the pitch last night when we were searching for the equaliser and winner.
I hope he gets a chance before the end of the season. He deserves it ahead of the likes of Lingard.

goptun

His balance and poise is that of an elite looking player. He's got the "it" factor.

Interested to see how the club bring him through. I feel like we see Liverpool give appearances to their talented youth players far more than we do nowadays which is crap. If he's given gametime now until the end of the season, we'll be well placed to know whether or not he can contribute significantly next year.

Just to add. Curtis Jones played 34 games for Liverpool last season, 12 the season before that. Obviously players develop at different ages etc., but surely Hannibal has the talent and physicality to earn a few appearances? His temperament was a big issue last year, perhaps that's why he's being slowly introduced?

Last edited:

Crimson King

He always looks brilliant in the youth teams. My only worry is he was rather anonymous when playing for Tunisia.

That could be because they don’t suit his style or just aren’t very good, I don’t know.
From what I read during AFCON it's more to do with their style. The manager opts for hard working runners over flair, which probably suits them better as a group tbh as they got to the QFs I think.

I think the hope is that when he's older and more experienced he'll become the creative lynchpin with those others around him, but he's not ready for that yet.

romufc

His balance and poise is that of an elite looking player. He's got the "it" factor.

Interested to see how the club bring him through. I feel like we see Liverpool give appearances to their talented youth players far more than we do nowadays which is crap. If he's given gametime now until the end of the season, we'll be well placed to know whether or not he can contribute significantly next year.
Who exactly?

We have given quite a few over the last few years. Brandon, Greenwood, Elanga, Chong, Tuanzebe all have been given chances.

In Rainbows

better highlight video

From what I remember, it was only the last match where he was fairly anonymous. He played on the wing in that match. However, the change got them a result, which the coach then relied on for the rest of the tournament. He was one of their better players prior to that, albeit in a lesser tournament. However, if not given much chances in a stronger competitive environment, it's hard to fault him as there isn't enough evidence to conclude anything apart from those specific minutes pertaining to that specific performance.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Looks excellent. From what I read he will have to mature which should happen with time and also learn to protect himself as opponents do target a dribbler. But really hope we start introducing him to the first team. Can take VDB's minutes.

goptun

Who exactly?

We have given quite a few over the last few years. Brandon, Greenwood, Elanga, Chong, Tuanzebe all have been given chances.
This season alone Liverpool have given several appearances to Tyler Morton, Kaide Gordon, Kelleher, Neco Williams, Curtis Jones, and Harvey Elliott. Tuanzebe is 25 this year!

romufc

This season alone Liverpool have given several appearances to Tyler Morton, Kaide Gordon, Kelleher, Neco Williams, Curtis Jones, and Harvey Elliott. Tuanzebe is 25 this year!
Kelleher, Neco, Curtis have all been given time before this season.

Harvey Elliot is not a product of Liverpool youth either. Its like saying we bringing through Amad.

goptun

Kelleher, Neco, Curtis have all been given time before this season.

Harvey Elliot is not a product of Liverpool youth either. Its like saying we bringing through Amad.
So what? I didn't say it had to be this season, I specifically said "I feel like we see Liverpool give appearances to their talented youth players far more than we do nowadays which is crap". Ergo, the past couple of years. We signed Amad when he was 18, Harvey Elliott was 15. Massive difference at that age that I'm surprised needs stating. Hannibal was 16 when we signed him, as was Pogba fyi.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I hope him and Elanga will be the highlights of our season. I need it.

romufc

So what? I didn't say it had to be this season, I specifically said "I feel like we see Liverpool give appearances to their talented youth players far more than we do nowadays which is crap". Ergo, the past couple of years. We signed Amad when he was 18, Harvey Elliott was 15. Massive difference at that age that I'm surprised needs stating. Hannibal was 16 when we signed him, as was Pogba fyi.
Okay but then you also said " This season alone Liverpool have given several appearances " So past couple years, we have given minutes to Chong, Greenwood, Williams, Elanga, Shoretire, Garner, Levitt.

I see you changing your tune to suit the narrative.

goptun

Okay but then you also said " This season alone Liverpool have given several appearances " So past couple years, we have given minutes to Chong, Greenwood, Williams, Elanga, Shoretire, Garner, Levitt.

I see you changing your tune to suit the narrative.
:lol: I swear all the pedants congregate on this one forum. Garner and Chong haven't featured in the past couple of seasons, Levitt has appeared a grand total of once (also more than 2 seasons ago), Shoretire has also featured only once this season though it was great to see him play a few games last season. You used Tuanzebe as an example earlier. Talk about feeble arguments to suit the narrative...

It's quite different from the list of names I provided from Liverpool. Tyler Morton alone has featured 8 times this season. I also didn't include Trent.

romufc

:lol: I swear all the pedants congregate on this one forum. Garner and Chong haven't featured in the past couple of seasons, Levitt has appeared a grand total of once (also more than 2 seasons ago), Shoretire has also featured only once this season though it was great to see him play a few games last season. You used Tuanzebe as an example earlier. Talk about feeble arguments to suit the narrative...

It's quite different from the list of names I provided from Liverpool. Tyler Morton alone has featured 8 times this season. I also didn't include Trent.
In 19/20 CHong played 11 times actually.

Kaide Gordon has made 3 appearances this season.

I mean you are talking as if Liverpool are fielding a squad of youngsters and we are not bringing anyone through, clearly that is false.

In the last 3 years we have had Greenwood, Williams, Elanga all come through and play alot of games for us.

jeepers

Looks excellent. From what I read he will have to mature which should happen with time and also learn to protect himself as opponents do target a dribbler. But really hope we start introducing him to the first team. Can take VDB's minutes.
And Lingard’s and Mata’s. Pretty please.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Hannibal isn’t any more immature than any 19 year old will be. I will try to find a link but there was a story when he was subjected to racist abuse, he personally requested the owner of the football club to help his abuser to see what he was doing wrong instead of punishing him. I can’t imagine more maturity from a 19 year old.

He gets kicked every single game. He tries to stay on his feet when he is being man handled and when he finally tumbles over, referees dont give foul. Gets next to no protection in youth games and then he sometimes lashes out. This can happen absolutely anybody, even to a seasoned pro. So i find the analysis of calling him immature bit lazy. Maybe it has to do with his fancy hairstyle which might give that impression.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If he goes on loan, I hope we loan him to a side that will play him in a midfield 3/in a central midfield position. I think he’s got the capacity to be a Modric style midfielder, super press resistant and great on the turn — basically the kind of CM we’ve not really ever(?) had.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/man-utd-plan-tunisia-golden-boy-hannibal-mejbri/blt1c8d5b06d09e7685

Indeed, in August, when United faced Lincoln in the EFL Trophy, Mejbri was racially abused by a home supporter and it is understood after the game he met with Lincoln’s CEO to request that the guilty party not be banned for as he didn’t want to ruin his future as there were mitigating circumstances. The club did decide to ban the supporter until he completed an education course with Kick it Out and the League One side subsequently sent a letter to United commending Mejbri on his maturity and apologising for the incident.
Also has bits about how United Staff are impressed with his attitude and demeanour. I hope this should put to bed his maturity questions unless we have some new event.

Glorio

They had him playing as a 6 in some cases, which he managed decently, he had a number of MOTM performances at number 10 and inexplicably, he got shunted to the right hand side and his teammates just didn't use him

Glorio

He seems a very immature, emotional kind of guy. Might take a bit longer than most to be ready for senior football. A lovely player to watch though. Glides over the pitch. He’s got more than tiny shin-pads in common with Jack Grealish.
In what way though? I know he's perhaps reacted strongly to a few tackles, but that's because he gets targeted with no real protection. Apart from that though he seems quite level headed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In what way though? I know he's perhaps reacted strongly to a few tackles, but that's because he gets targeted with no real protection. Apart from that though he seems quite level headed.
In exactly the way I said. Let’s not forget he’s already been sent off for arguing with referees. And he came closest to completely losing his head last night after an opposition player handled the ball, nothing to do with a bad tackle. In fact, he kept his composure quite well the one time he did get a nasty foul.