The genius of Marcus Rashford

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's such a Trumpesque dog whistle. Those unnamed ulterior motives that provide a better explanation than people thinking he's simply not very good at football. It isn't the fact he walks around the pitch, it's some undefined conspiracy against him

#DeepStateNotWorkrate

Honestly no wonder this lad feels offended by criticism. He's probably surrounded by those also taken in by (or likely originators of) these unnmaned conspiracies as to why anyone would have the nerve to think he wasn't very good.

So many unnamed ulterior motives to make Liz Truss go weak at the knees. He's not lazy, it's big pharma.
I mean, racism and political vendetta / propaganda exists and I’m sure there’s some of that aimed at Rashford but it’s rather conniving to use it to shield oneself from genuine criticism because of a lack of a decent response. Rashford has been pathetic on the pitch this season as he was the season score the previous one. But what has genuinely created this strong reaction towards is him being the most useless player we have off the ball. He sticks out like a sore thumb.

I’d argue that someone like Sterling had a genuine case of being unfairly targeted. His treatment back when he moved from Liverpool to City was extremely toxic and agenda driven. He handled it very well too - both on and off the pitch.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
I could spend a good half an hour listing “cocky Johnny foreigners” that showed showed more commitment and respect for the badge than Rashford. They also didn’t endlessly run their mouth about how much they love the club. You could see it on the pitch
Heinze and Tevez the traitor showed more commitment in the pitch than this "local lad" its shameful. Both of them worked like dogs on the pitch. Does Rashford realize he is already given so much leeway because he's a local lad ? He's talking like people are giving him short strings. Obviously we all question your commitment since you stroll around the pitch like people walking their dog in a park and went out to party abroad like its the end of the world one day before a game. Unless you are prime Ronaldo/Messi/Zidane/Ronaldinho/Maradona no manager should tolerate this kind of lazy unprofessional behaviour. Even then Pep kicked out R10 and Rashford doesnt even fit to lace his boots talent wise.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
fair do's - the hatred towards him from our fanbase feels excessive to me, but point taken.
I think it’s mostly fair. No club should tolerate a player ambling about as if he’s beyond defending. Not in today’s game that’s for sure. He’s not 35 year old Messi or Ronaldo. Heck he’s not even performing let alone good by our standards. He’s also paid an enormous wages. It really is a clusteruck of a situation. ETH should have dropped him by now to send a message. Just like Ronaldo giving that interview is an offense, not putting in the effort and improving your defensive game should be one.

Heinze and Tevez the traitor showed more commitment in the pitch than this "local lad" its shameful. Both of them worked like dogs on the pitch. Does Rashford realize he is already given so much leeway because he's a local lad ? He's talking like people are giving him short strings. Obviously we all question your commitment since you stroll around the pitch like people walking their dog in a park and went out to party abroad like its the end of the world one day before a game. Unless you are prime Ronaldo/Messi/Zidane/Ronaldinho/Maradona no manager should tolerate this kind of lazy unprofessional behaviour. Even then Pep kicked out R10 and Rashford doesnt even fit to lace his boots talent wise.
Forget Heinz’s and Tevez, all our current forwards work hard. Even Garnacho who until this season was a bit poor defensively has really upped his intensity and work rate this season. He still makes mistakes and can get caught but you can clearly see major progress and he’s rarely lacking for effort these days.

Malons

I've never seen any criticism of his tattoos. I wasn't even 100% sure he had any. He's hardly shirtless everywhere. Yet he makes this one of the central criticism he's hitting out against. I remember Sterling being criticised for tattoos. Maybe I'm missing lots of conversation about Rashford's tats, but I've never encountered this as one of the criticisms leveled at him, ever.

Is this an invention to draw parallels with Sterling? Is he attempting to appropriate someone else's criticism?

RuudtheRed

We should support our players but it's also fair for fans to expect their heroes to put in 100% effort on the pitch, and not to get drunk before calling in sick for training with 2 hours of sleep.

I don't think this recent puff piece by Rashford helps his cause very much because people judge not words but his actions. Saying "if you doubt me, even better" just sounds like arrogance and a lack of self-awareness when he has had a poor season compared to what we know he is capable of. Hand-waving some pretty egregious mistakes away and then saying Man Utd means the world to you just seems contradictory.

However, I still have respect for him as to how he has accepted consequences for being late for team meetings or being hungover before training. It shows room for a redemption arc unlike the temperamental and unrepentant child that Sancho is.

RedinIndia

He might well feel that he's being made a scapegoat for United's poor performances.

But no one will point fingers at him if he does the hardwork. No matter what his circumstances of rising to the top are and how hard he did work to get there , he needs to put in the work to deserve his place.

Not just handed to him because he's shown loyalty to the club in the past.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Once Rashford went against the Tory government he automatically became the establishment's enemy (including a big chunk of the media). That means that while others might get away with certain things, Rashy can't. That's totally unfair but unfortunately it's also how life work. It doesn't help that United are struggling which means that fingers will be pointed out at players.

That doesn't make Rashy totally blameless. Once Mohammed Ali was asked what is the hardest part of his training. He replied that the hardest part was Dodging the nightclubs and the party’s and the girls. And being in bed by yourself at 9 o’clock at night. That's a tough thing for a 26 year old. However that's what expected from a 300k+ a week player especially one whose living the dream of playing for the club he supports.

ForeverRed1

He’s put so much pressure on himself now before the city game. Words are easy, words are cheap.. he’s got to back it up after that. We want nothing less than 100% effort. We want to see him press, chase every single ball down, put in challenges. It needs to be one hell of a performance after that or again, it’s all just words.

Wazzaduke33

All of this nonsense about the government, establishment, racism being the reasons behind Rashfords lack of effort, dedication and ultimately contribution to the team is just drivel

43% of Premier League players are black - 3% of the UK population are made up of black people, this is HUGELY disproportionate when analysing

I’m not sure Rishi Sunak was serving shots in that bar in Belfast ?

Or even that the illuminati are in control of his motor skills and prevent him from being able to run

It’s down to him and his attitude, end of. Jadon Sancho tweeted and challenged that he was training hard and was exiled and loaned out with immediate effect. Rashfords copy book looks to be impervious to blotting . . .

To suggest any kind of conspiracy and overly harsh treatment is bordering on insane

Last edited:

WaltJabsco

City's first goal encapsulates everything that is bad about modern football. Rashford chooses to go to ground trying to get Walker sent off instead of going on and getting a shot on goal, 10 seconds later the ball is in our net. I hate the fact that football has become more about cheating than trying to fecking win the game.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Remember when everyone had a go at me for refusing to let one “magic moment” forget what an idle cnut he is?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Scored the one he shouldn't have done, bungled the ones that were much more his signature sort of chance.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He had an amazing moment today and then promptly messed up two amazing chances where scoring at least one of the two might win us the game and you'd expect a Vini Junior player to do score.

Says it all, really. He's not at the level required to start, have a team build around him, much less be the face of the club. If he has a Portuguese passport, he'd be hounded more than Nani

Fergies Gum

How weak and limp wristed is he. Even a 10 year old could make him fall down in a game.

baskinginthesun

A bit soft for a modern day footballer. Absolutely refuses to protect the ball and wants every pass perfectly played into feet.

Nice goal today. But, otherwise, he let's attacks break down a bit too easy.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Manages to put in the worst performance of the season despite scoring the 2nd best goal of the season.

His first touch is shocking at times. We can't play out of defense with players like him in front. If he doesn't get the ball in front of him he's completely useless.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
To be fair, if you're going to have a 1/10 performance then it's pretty smart to score a screamer first. Genius.

TheRedDevil2019

Dreadful performance, spectacular goal but his all round play was clumsy and wasteful.

clarkydaz

does that not sum him up entirely? Happy for him to have his moment, but i hope we can look at the bigger picture

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I'm sure everyone remembers and cares about your opinions.
From the guy who tried sharing his opinion, had 16 replies calling him an idiot before it was locked for his own good

Wazzaduke33

Mr Moments scores in a wonderful moment for Moments FC, that’s it in a nutshell. . .

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
From the guy who tried sharing his opinion, had 16 replies calling him an idiot before it was locked for his own good
Makes for a more fun read than your attention-seeking "woe, is me" posts on a football forum.

Nobody cares if 3 people ("everyone") disagreed with you 2 hours ago.

freddie the red

Once Rashford went against the Tory government he automatically became the establishment's enemy (including a big chunk of the media). That means that while others might get away with certain things, Rashy can't. That's totally unfair but unfortunately it's also how life work. It doesn't help that United are struggling which means that fingers will be pointed out at players.

That doesn't make Rashy totally blameless. Once Mohammed Ali was asked what is the hardest part of his training. He replied that the hardest part was Dodging the nightclubs and the party’s and the girls. And being in bed by yourself at 9 o’clock at night. That's a tough thing for a 26 year old. However that's what expected from a 300k+ a week player especially one whose living the dream of playing for the club he supports.
Uh??? What on earth is this?

The majority of fans in here are on the left so wouldn't be at all swayed by the supposed right leaning, Tory supporting media.

Have you read the majority of the opinions of him in here?

If it was a left/right issue then he'd be defended until the cows came home, but it isn't!

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Didn't this all end with him getting a pat on the back from Boris Johnson for holding the Tory government into account? He simply used his voice. I like Rashford but in terms of media it seems he's got a lot of them in his back pocket like Henry Winter and The Athletic.

van Nistelrooy

+ Superb strike for the goal. Bravo.

- Fluffed two golden opportunities spectacularly.
- Dived when put through and cost us the equalizer.

Can't take anything away from the goal, but that alone just isn't good enough. The team as a whole just weren't good enough, but you can't be the main man, the biggest earner, and regularly put out performances this bad. Those worldies will only come around now and again and won't excuse you from doing the basics of football.

Amazingly, Sky Sports didn't show a replay or once mention either of the two fluffed opportunities in the punditry at half or full-time. They even discussed Rashford in depth and still didn't touch on the wasted chances. Why are they protecting him?

Do we have any clips/gifs of Rashford's missed chances today?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Uh??? What on earth is this?

The majority of fans in here are on the left so wouldn't be at all swayed by the supposed right leaning, Tory supporting media.

Have you read the majority of the opinions of him in here?

If it was a left/right issue then he'd be defended until the cows came home, but it isn't!
I was speaking in terms of media mate not the fans on redcafe.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
How could anyone go on to have such a poor game after a goal like that?

He is a big, powerful and quick lad (or at least he was). How is there so little fight in him?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Scored the one he had no right to score, then bungled the type of breakaway chances that are his bread and butter.

Bobski

I think the one he was through and tried to head it forward was a bit unlucky, the spin on the ball created a difficult bounce to take at speed, but the Walker one in the second half was an excellent break with McT playing a good pass to him, if he takes his first touch across Walker he gets his shot away at the least, but instead a passive one then a soft fall hoping for a bail out from the ref.

The other chance were he fluffed it at the back post crap as well.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
This was the lowest point really.

I think a lot of these players knew they just weren’t ever good enough to succeed at a club of our size. United was offering them far more money than they were worth. They were embarrassed for being shown up as not good enough but delighted to take the money and have the security of us most likely never letting you go as long as you wanted to stay. We kept signing all these duds because of bad recruitment practices. They look around at each other and see mediocrity and players dancing around. Apathy spreads. Standards slip. The likes of Rashford or Pogba become the face of the club and the leaders of the younger players and it’s more about being cool than winning stuff.

Hopefully INEOS is the shot in the arm the club desperately needs.
We pay loads to try and stop other teams pinching them, issue is, no team actually wants these dweebs.

DonkeyChops

If he'd been around under Fergie, he'd already have been packed off to Sunderland by this stage of his career.

mctrials23

It absolutely boils my piss to the extent that I dislike lazy players far more than I hate crap players. I appreciate that’s a bit of a weird take but that’s my honest opinion.
I think most people feel the same way. A crap player that works hard is just hitting the limitations of their ability. A good player not putting in the effort is just taking the piss. When thats Steve down Asda you can understand. When its a professional footballer getting paid more in a day than most people get in a year, its hard to swallow or rationalise.