The genius of Marcus Rashford

Doracle

Sensible post. Before this season, he had one truly bad campaign. That was also when everyone else was naff. The rest has ranged from good to great, which again in a team that has been consistently inconsistent isn't bad.

This season has been a mess since pre season (for everyone) but his recent goals have shown that he's still clearly a talented player. There's also still a lot to play for with the FA Cup.

He attracted a whole load of additional criticism when he had the audacity to help feed hungry children during lockdown.
Yeah, even playing in a dysfunctional team and not having really had his shooting boots on so far this season, he’s up to a GA every 2.6 games. I’d expect that to be at around 1 in 2 by the end of season, given his improvement recently. If we had a right winger (or even a CF) who could come close to those stats, then we’d be in a much better position.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's not just the goals. His celebrations are wicked too
His celebration is much funnier seeing the weirdly hostile posts in here, he’s upset a lot of ‘supporters’

Doracle

I love Nani but people genuinely think he’d be doing better than Rashford in this team??

His celebration is much funnier seeing the weirdly hostile posts in here, he’s upset a lot of ‘supporters’
It’s also hilarious how fecking toxic our fanbase has become when any “shhh” gesture celebration used be taken as being aimed at rival supporters or media, whereas now this toxic lot of his own fans suddenly thinks “who is this prick telling me to shh”.

Stadjer

There were clueless jokers in the Ten Hag thread going on about how beloved Berbatov and Nani would've been now :lol:
What? :lol: Berbatov and Nani werent even liked when they were part of a team with success. Imagine being part of a bad team without success. Berbatov would be treated and hated like Martial is or Pogba was. Berbatov would be called lazy, sulking and would be blamed for not be running around like a maniac. Nani would be slated for losing the ball or making the wrong decision in the same way Rashford currently is.

sugar_kane

Sensible post. Before this season, he had one truly bad campaign. That was also when everyone else was naff. The rest has ranged from good to great, which again in a team that has been consistently inconsistent isn't bad.

This season has been a mess since pre season (for everyone) but his recent goals have shown that he's still clearly a talented player. There's also still a lot to play for with the FA Cup.

He attracted a whole load of additional criticism when he had the audacity to help feed hungry children during lockdown.
You mean when he had the audacity to allow his PR team to launch a campaign against government policy and allow everyone to think he was the mastermind?

If things were different and he played in light blue across the city under a different bald genius our fan base, especially the online contingent would be creaming their crackers over him.
Marcus has consistently been our best player and carried this team (along with Bruno) since his debut.
He had one bad season a few years ago where he was playing with multiple injury issues, and personal issues were also affecting his game and certain factions in the support have never forgiven him. Its pathetic.
It’s no wonder if he’s had enough, it’s been constant for years and it’s understandable if it’s ground him down.
I pretty much disagree with every line of this. He doesn't even make it into a City team under Pep for a start, but I also can't recall any season where he's been our best player.

Not a chance he's been consistently our best player since he started. Last season was the closest he got, in every other season there have been bigger standout performers, as terrible as we have been.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I’m sure some of this was pure jealousy. Speaks volumes that our most bitter rivals over on Merseyside could put rivalry aside and show gratitude and appreciation for his hard work and caring attitude while his own ‘fans’ chose to mock and deride the guy.

El Jefe

127 goals sounds great but it averages out at 16 goals in 8 seasons. That’s actually pretty decent but when you consider that he’s pretty much had the keys to our attack since Ole joined it’s not really that impressive.

Even if we use average goals per season since 2018/19 when he became the leader of the attack his average is still 16.5 goals, this includes the assumption that he scores at the same rate for the rest of this season.

These are numbers for an ancillary piece in the team not someone who thinks he’s a star.

His PL average is about 10 a season and that’s where the numbers really highlight that he’s not been good enough. For someone given fat contracts, the No.10 shirt and who claims to be a star that is a very average return.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nani in this team would be doubled up on and barely ever have any decent movement around him.
A massive chunk hated him when he was surrounded by a World Class team, he’d be absolutely despised now by this toxic fanbase.
He’d still be twice the rest of our wide players which would naturally show him in better light. The massive chunk of criticism back then was because he was surrounded by a top class team and hence usually judged in that context.

He’d still be twice the rest of our wide players which would naturally show him in better light. The massive chunk of criticism back then was because he was surrounded by a top class team and hence usually judged in that context.
So you think Nani would be able to show his best ability in this side?
He was playing in a side where defenders had the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, van Nistelrooy, Scholes, Giggs, Tevez and a full back like Evra to worry about and to help him create space and options, yet was still slated.
He’d be forced into the worst parts of himself here in this side, that much is clear.

Doracle

127 goals sounds great but it averages out at 16 goals in 8 seasons. That’s actually pretty decent but when you consider that he’s pretty much had the keys to our attack since Ole joined it’s not really that impressive.

Even if we use average goals per season since 2018/19 when he became the leader of the attack his average is still 16.5 goals, this includes the assumption that he scores at the same rate for the rest of this season.

These are numbers for an ancillary piece in the team not someone who thinks he’s a star.

His PL average is about 10 a season and that’s where the numbers really highlight that he’s not been good enough. For someone given fat contracts, the No.10 shirt and who claims to be a star that is a very average return.
The thought process behind this post:

- 127 goals. That sounds good but I think Rashford is rubbish. Let’s have a look at goals per season. He’s been playing for us since 18 so I bet that will look bad;

- Hmm, 16 goals a season. That sounds good, so I can’t do much with that stat. But he’s been the forward who has contributed the most for several years despite us spending hundreds of millions. I can use that against him by saying he’s been given the “keys to our attack” - that sounds like all his goals/assists have been handed to him;

- Ok, still haven’t really justified my dislike. Let’s also say he’s been the leader of the attack since he was 21 to argue he should have done better. I’ll ignore that we had Lukaku, Cavani, Martial and Ronaldo in that time-frame. It sounds a great way to say 16.5 goals a season mainly from left wing isn’t good enough;

- Ignore that he averages 17 GA per season in the league alone in the last 5 years (since turning 20) and go back to averages since he was a kid. Throw in some random unsupported comments about him claiming to be a star and make a statement about fat contracts;

- Be happy that dislike is now supported by post.

amolbhatia50k

So you think Nani would be able to show his best ability in this side?
He was playing in a side where defenders had the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, van Nistelrooy, Scholes, Giggs, Tevez and a full back like Evra to worry about and to help him create space and options, yet was still slated.
He’d be forced into the worst parts of himself here in this side, that much is clear.
Best ability? No. Like I said, he’d still be twice the other wingers because he was that much better than them all. It’s actually very common for players to stand out even more in lesser teams because they’re judged by a different yard stick.

Best ability? No. Like I said, he’d still be twice the other wingers because he was that much better than them all. It’s actually very common for players to stand out even more in lesser teams because they’re judged by a different yard stick.
It’s also very common for players to stand out in better teams, as we know all too well for how it went for many players that left Fergie or how it goes for many post-Klopp.

I’m certain Nani would be hated, I loved his risk taking but our angry bunch of fans would be screaming blue murder at him, they were bad even then, now they’d be beyond belief. Just look at how much shite Bruno gets.

Withnail

It was as stupid and wrong-headed as Maguire's that time. If you underperform for nearly a whole season you should expect criticism. Scoring your first goal at home since May is not the time for silliness like that. Who'd he prove wrong? Nobody yet.

Skills

Snitch
The thought process behind this post:

- 127 goals. That sounds good but I think Rashford is rubbish. Let’s have a look at goals per season. He’s been playing for us since 18 so I bet that will look bad;

- Hmm, 16 goals a season. That sounds good, so I can’t do much with that stat. But he’s been the forward who has contributed the most for several years despite us spending hundreds of millions. I can use that against him by saying he’s been given the “keys to our attack” - that sounds like all his goals/assists have been handed to him;

- Ok, still haven’t really justified my dislike. Let’s also say he’s been the leader of the attack since he was 21 to argue he should have done better. I’ll ignore that we had Lukaku, Cavani, Martial and Ronaldo in that time-frame. It sounds a great way to say 16.5 goals a season mainly from left wing isn’t good enough;

- Ignore that he averages 17 GA per season in the league alone in the last 5 years (since turning 20) and go back to averages since he was a kid. Throw in some random unsupported comments about him claiming to be a star and make a statement about fat contracts;

- Be happy that dislike is now supported by post.
So accurate :lol:

Lentwood

He's scored 80 league goals in 259 games and has 39 assists. This despite playing virtually every minute of every game for a team that, despite its struggles, has always been a top six side.

Its a very, very mediocre record at best for a player who has also taken penalties and free kicks - and that's before we even start on the argument about his work rate, attitude and overall contribution.

Nani, a player I loved (and got angry at the time over the hate for him) has a worse rate of goal and assists than Rashford, despite playing in miles better sides, with miles better players. Hence why I’m dumbfounded that @amolbhatia50k thinks he wouldn’t be absolutely despised by our lovely fans today.

cyril C

Can someone remind me how many goals has Rashford scored THIS SEASON?

He's scored 80 league goals in 259 games and has 39 assists. This despite playing virtually every minute of every game for a team that, despite its struggles, has always been a top six side.

Its a very, very mediocre record at best
Show me all these other mediocre players that average a goal or assist almost every second league game for 260 games?

Nogbadthebad

Nani, a player I loved (and got angry at the time over the hate for him) has a worse rate of goal and assists than Rashford, despite playing in miles better sides, with miles better players. Hence why I’m dumbfounded that @amolbhatia50k thinks he wouldn’t be absolutely despised by our lovely fans today.
Nani, and I love the guy, was far more wasteful, and made far more boneheaded desicions on the pitch, than Rashford. Like all supremely creative players he blew hot and cold, and you take that as part of the package.

The best comparison with todays team I think is bruno, because he doesn't play the percentages either, but goes for the high risk stuff. Nani would get the exact same criticism that bruno does, but more of it, because he played high risk much more often.

amolbhatia50k

A) Unlike Nani, Rashford is all about end product. His general play is piss poor. B) Unlike Nani, forget goals and assists, Rashford wouldn’t even last at the club in that era he’s be so much below the required standard.

Doracle

Its a very, very mediocre record at best for a player who has also taken penalties and free kicks - and that's before we even start on the argument about his work rate, attitude and overall contribution.
A goal or assist every two games from LW, primarily without taking penalties, from age 18 onwards is not mediocre at all. It’s exceptional.

I get that there can be frustrations with the fact he can have bad matches and bad runs of form. I also get frustrated with him when he throws his hands in the air. However, he seems to have become a lightning rod on this forum for the frustrations with the team as a whole.

The reality is that his goals and assists propelled a relatively poor team to 3rd last season and we have seen this season what happens when he’s slightly off form. Our goal output drops down to Luton and Burnley levels.

KeanoMagicHat

A goal or assist every two games from LW, primarily without taking penalties, from age 18 onwards is not mediocre at all. It’s exceptional.

I get that there can be frustrations with the fact he can have bad matches and bad runs of form. I also get frustrated with him when he throws his hands in the air. However, he seems to have become a lightning rod on this forum for the frustrations with the team as a whole.

The reality is that his goals and assists propelled a relatively poor team to 3rd last season and we have seen this season what happens when he’s slightly off form. Our goal output drops down to Luton and Burnley levels.
Rashford was in and out of the team, lots of subs appearances then deployed primarily as a defensive forward under Mourinho for two seasons too, which wouldn't help his record. Because there was a lot of cup runs, he played 105 games in those two seasons for 24 goals scored, 0.22 per game. When you take out those two seasons, his record is 103 in 280, 0.37 per game, which is more in line with how he does, even with this season bringing him down so far.

GreatDane

The worst.
:lol:
You made a negative thread about Onana, but if someone dares criticize Saint Marcus then they are the worst.
We will be a better team when he's gone, he's not a team player and he's not that great.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
:lol:
You made a negative thread about Onana, but if someone dares criticize Saint Marcus then they are the worst.
We will be a better team when he's gone, he's not a team player and he's not that great.
Hey, I never said don’t criticise poor performance, but a thread calling him a prick and a stroppy twat for 1) an innocuous goal celebration guessing at its meaning and 2) being irritated at being substituted off like he was supposed to be happy about it is just ridiculous and unnecessary.
The difference is Marcus occasionally fails to help us win where as Onana has actively contributed to us losing games this season and cost us CL progression.
Marcus is consistently amongst our top goal contributors (G&A) and if he should leave he will be a better player with our horrible fans off his back!

Mingus

He does seem to have the knack of drawing out the biggest bellends from the support.
Has rattled the snowflakes by having a good game I see.

It was interesting watching him a few times at O.T. this season . The amount of times he makes runs but isn't passed to was an eyeopener.

Having Garnacho on the other side has doubled the threat from the wide forward players which makes it harder for opposition teams to concentrate on nullifying him, without leaving gaps elsewhere.

clarkydaz

Has rattled the snowflakes by having a good game I see.

It was interesting watching him a few times at O.T. this season . The amount of times he makes runs but isn't passed to was an eyeopener.

Having Garnacho on the other side has doubled the threat from the wide forward players which makes it harder for opposition teams to concentrate on nullifying him, without leaving gaps elsewhere.
He had a poor second half. but again, a 3 month purple patch means all last season. A good half means a good game now

Mingus

He had a poor second half. but again, a 3 month purple patch means all last season. A good half means a good game now
That's what happens in football. Having a good first half meant that Spurs had to devote more resources to stem the threat.

Last season he was more difficult to stop as he built up a lot of confidence. Getting pilloried for not attempting to dribble and being tackled when he does must play with his head. The same with "poor decision making" when things that were coming off last season suddenly don't anymore.

This is what has been happening with Saka recently.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It was as stupid and wrong-headed as Maguire's that time. If you underperform for nearly a whole season you should expect criticism. Scoring your first goal at home since May is not the time for silliness like that. Who'd he prove wrong? Nobody yet.
He gets dogs abuse whenever he’s not in the form of his life, he did a celebration which has only upset the people that shit on him online. If the shoe fits…