The greatest treble winners and manager ever: City 22/23

Oranges038

Absolutely deserved,

It's going to be the second biggest achievement in football this year after Chelsea staying up.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If they win their first CL as part of a treble, it's undisputed sadly.

Over the last decade they've not even done a Chelsea and won it out of the blue which I find mental when you look at the names they've had.

The treble is a ridiculous feat. Even a League and CL double is pretty remarkable nowadays when you consider that the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool have failed to be the best domestically when they've won it in recent years. Even Madrid and all their heritage win the CL without winning La Liga quite often.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Always in our shadows. Even if they do it it will be the first PL team since United, 2nd treble by an English team, only team apart from United to do it, etc.
The most memorable thing about their treble will be the cheating and the charges.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Over the last decade they've not even done a Chelsea and won it out of the blue which I find mental when you look at the names they've had.

The treble is a ridiculous feat. Even a League and CL double is pretty remarkable nowadays when you consider that the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool have failed to be the best domestically when they've won it in recent years. Even Madrid and all their heritage win the CL without winning La Liga quite often.
Madrid did it last season.

Sadly the treble isn’t as unique as it used to be. Porto (I think), Inter, Bayern and Barca twice have done it in the space of what is 19 years? With City it could be 6 times in 20 years or something like that.

Edwards6

Not a ridiculous feat when you don't follow the same financial rules as every other club

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
United 99 wasnt that good technically speaking but boy they are a special team. The co 92, the rise and fall of Beckham, the Turin match, the last minute double winner.

It's one hell of a season for United supporter

crossy1686

career ending
Madrid did it last season.

Sadly the treble isn’t as unique as it used to be. Porto (I think), Inter, Bayern and Barca twice have done it in the space of what is 19 years? With City it could be 6 times in 20 years or something like that.
I think Porto’s was a quadruple but it involved the EL and not the CL.

slyadams

They are better than '99 United but it's a byproduct of the eras. Simply put it's much easier to be this good now than it was to be as good as United was in '99. It's also easier to win the treble now

Edit: disagree that Barcelona would have beaten this City side. No chance they could have coped with their speed and energy, and they lagged behind tactically as well
Absolute rubbish. That Barca side is the best club side of the last 25 years, and comfortably at that.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I appreciate that this is a jinx thread.

Having said that, it is crazy to me that pundits and journalists are discussing this City team as the greatest ever and just completely overlooking that they cheated in order to create it. This is a team with over a hundred charges brought against them. They are cheats and everyone knows, I hope history remembers that (but don't think it will).

Hughie77

Always in our shadows. Even if they do it it will be the first PL team since United, 2nd treble by an English team, only team apart from United to do it, etc.
The most memorable thing about their treble will be the cheating and the charges.
It's a hollow treble if they get it, I don't blame the players, the whole organisation they represent are the ones who can do what they like, because, like pep said they have good lawyers so that makes it OK... let's see what the FA do with the charges they have to defend??

Dr. StrangeHate

Pitbull has millions of fans...doesnt mean his music is great...
Recognition from a lot of people is what makes an achievement great. The kids growing up now appreciate City and they will take that into adulthood and make this a great achievement regardless of the cheating.

Pitbull has millions of fans, wtf!!!!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
because city haven’t really done anything of note in Europe yet

comparing them to a great Barca team is embarrassing
Agree and disagree. I'll grant you that until they do win the CL there can't be an argument for them being better than those Barcelona sides - relative to their eras
Inter as well.
True, i'd forgot about them. That's 5 trebles in the last 15 years. It could very well be correlation instead of causation, but there you have it. 4 trebles(I checked, PSV did it too in '88) from 1956 to 2008. 5 from 2009 to 2022...

Zen86

Recognition from a lot of people is what makes an achievement great. The kids growing up now appreciate City and they will take that into adulthood and make this a great achievement regardless of the cheating.

Pitbull has millions of fans, wtf!!!!
Kids aren't really into football as much these days. Can't blame them, the game isn't as captivating or inspiring as it once was.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I never really considered the 99 side our best anyway but I do think this City one is on course to better than it after sealing the treble, sadly. They’re not just winning, they’re crushing everyone. There is no jeopardy to any of their matches.

Real Madrid will be swept aside. We will have to put in our performance of the season in the FA Cup final to keep the score down.

Oranges038

Not so sure, that Barcelona side weren’t as quick as this City side. They were also super boring to watch. Plus, there’s a chance they were paying referees.
And there was also the blood doping allegations.

Also Peps club doctor who he blamed when he was banned for doping in Italy, was appointed as his club doctor at Barcelona.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Madrid? They battered us for 179 minutes...
Madrid was battered by many teams over the years in the CL and yet won so many CLs. Should we call their CL titles all weird?

I mean, the rest of the post is nonsense not even worth replying too. Unlucky, bad tactis, rule change, possibly disallowed, dumb penalty, dumb handball - those are kids playground arguments, you are more serious poster than that.

You'd expect City to beat Chelsea and Spurs 9/10 and you wouldn't expect them to concede as many or in the manner they did against Real so yeah, i'd say those are all results that are weird ways to go out or lose for City.
I didn't know football worked that way. Other weaker teams should just give up playing football and start doing something else instead because you wouldn't expect them to beat stronger teams. Why are Inter and Milan even playing semifinals this year because you can expect City or Real to beat them?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Madrid was battered by many teams over the years in the CL and yet won so many CLs. Should we call their CL titles all weird?

I mean, the rest of the post is nonsense not even worth replying too. Unlucky, bad tactis, rule change, possibly disallowed, dumb penalty, dumb handball - those are kids playground arguments, you are more serious poster than that.

I didn't know football worked that way. Other weaker teams should just give up playing football and start doing something else instead because you wouldn't expect them to beat stronger teams. Why are Inter and Milan even playing semifinals this year because you can expect City or Real to beat them?
Because weird things happen in football. You’re welcome.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

I mean not really. I was pointing out the fact many of their eliminations came as a result of external factors going against them. The plain truth is City fecked up a few times, were downright unlucky a few others, very rarely were actually outplayed by a superior opponent(Liverpool with the 2 massive, tie-swinging ref mistakes, OL and Chelsea which were squarely on Guardiola). They do need to win the CL to be put up with the likes of Barcelona, Madrid or Bayern from a historical perspective - or indeed the treble and CR7/Rooney United sides, but in terms of general strenght they've been mostly there already for a while

And i resent being called a serious poster

Righteous Steps

I think Guardiola may be the greatest coach in modern times in terms of tactics and how hes pushed forward the game, but greatest manager i'm not sure, the odds have been stacked in his favour.

Paul_Scholes18

I feel Haaland and KDB partnership has really stepped up since the draw away vs Leipzig when KDB was missing due to illness.

Since they they won every game even when Haaland was out.

The City squad do not feel that amazing in theory there is not that much depth and lots of players been inconsistent. Cancelo was one of the better ones and he left.

Although the main core with Rodri, KDB and Haaland are just the 3 best in the world this season in each position and Pep is the best manager. Also Stones been brilliant, but funny how Maguire often looks better for England or same level.

I think mainly Pep is the reason they are so good. He has failed in CL which I think is a mental thing and playing vs elite sides, but as a league manager he is just the very best.

Huge pain for us that really care. They still have 3 ways to fail which is against us, Real and a CL final so high chance they do that, but they feel really close now.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Guardiola is 0-2 against Ancelotti in CL ties. Maybe he should win one before we crown him bestest manager evah eh

MexicanCowboy

Supports
Barcelona
City are a Joy to watch. I don't know if they will win the treble or not but they are the most enjoyable to watch as a neutral.
I'm not sure if our best Barca would have beaten this City side. I mean, we had more talented players but the speed at which City play is insane. Also, mature Pep is definitely a better manager.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I mean not really. I was pointing out the fact many of their eliminations came as a result of external factors going against them. The plain truth is City fecked up a few times, were downright unlucky a few others, very rarely were actually outplayed by a superior opponent(Liverpool with the 2 massive, tie-swinging ref mistakes, OL and Chelsea which were squarely on Guardiola). They do need to win the CL to be put up with the likes of Barcelona, Madrid or Bayern from a historical perspective - or indeed the treble and CR7/Rooney United sides, but in terms of general strenght they've been mostly there already for a while

And i resent being called a serious poster
You think it's just a thing of luck/outside factor that Pep hasn't won a CL ever since he had Messi at his peak, even though he had many sides that were worth it?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You think it's just a thing of luck/outside factor that Pep hasn't won a CL ever since he had Messi at his peak, even though he had many sides that were worth it?
I think it's luck/outside factor that he won 2 with Messi actually

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That was a good few years after their peak.
2 seasons after their peak. Peak was 10/11. That Bayern tie was 12/13. And it was their 100 points league season. Hardly disconnected

Ladron de redcafe

2 seasons after their peak. Peak was 10/11. That Bayern tie was 12/13. And it was their 100 points league season. Hardly disconnected
That was a Barcelona team without a manager, as Tito Vilanova had cancer and left in mid season. They started the season winning 21 of the first 22 matches with 1 draw iirc. The team that faced Bayern was a mess, and not comparable to the Guardiola team of 2011. Messi being injured doesn't even need mentioning here. Even the rest of the team wasn't the same.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I feel Haaland and KDB partnership has really stepped up since the draw away vs Leipzig when KDB was missing due to illness.

Since they they won every game even when Haaland was out.

The City squad do not feel that amazing in theory there is not that much depth and lots of players been inconsistent. Cancelo was one of the better ones and he left.

Although the main core with Rodri, KDB and Haaland are just the 3 best in the world this season in each position and Pep is the best manager. Also Stones been brilliant, but funny how Maguire often looks better for England or same level.

I think mainly Pep is the reason they are so good. He has failed in CL which I think is a mental thing and playing vs elite sides, but as a league manager he is just the very best.

Huge pain for us that really care. They still have 3 ways to fail which is against us, Real and a CL final so high chance they do that, but they feel really close now.
That’s mad. Their squad is absolutely nuts. No other team in Europe has anything close to the options they do.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That was a Barcelona team without a manager, as Tito Vilanova had cancer and left in mid season. They started the season winning 21 of the first 22 matches with 1 draw iirc. The team that faced Bayern was a mess, and not comparable to the Guardiola team of 2011. Messi being injured doesn't even need mentioning here. Even the rest of the team wasn't the same.
You're not wrong but it's not like that team was doing badly by the time they played Bayern either.

The other example i can think of is Guardiola subbing out Xavi after 30 minutes against Bielsa's Bilbao because he absolutely couldn't cope with the 1vs1 man marking all over the pitch

I stand by my point: that barcelona side could never live with this version of city, the main difference being Guardiola, his staff, his team doctors, etc are better at their jobs than back then. That Barcelona side wasn't slow for their era, but they played at half the speed of City, Bayern, last year's Liverpool, etc. Their best shot in such a game would be throw their precious identity away and just sit back and try to hit City on the counter through Messi and Iniesta

The Urban Goose

They are better than '99 United but it's a byproduct of the eras. Simply put it's much easier to be this good now than it was to be as good as United was in '99.
Oh I don't know, I'd love to see how they handle prime Keane and Scholes. They wouldn't be allowed to play their usual tiki-taka-toka-woka-choca nonsense.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Their best shot in such a game would be throw their precious identity away and just sit back and try to hit City on the counter through Messi and Iniesta
The thing is Pep of today would do exactly that, Barcas Pep not so much. Still i believe Peps Barca would win the game against Peps City. Two reasons. First off the quality of that Barcelona team is still better than City of today. And second because City are normally struggling against teams that have more possession than them. Even against Real Madrid in the first semi at the Bernabeu in the second half they looked lost till that De Bruyne equaliser. Add to that an aggressive press and quality fast combinations ala Messi and co against Madrid 2010 (the 5:0 game).. i see a clear win for blaugranas..

Last edited:

padzilla

Hipster
The Lance Armstrong of football getting Lance Armstrong style praise.