Television The Haunting Of Hill House - Netflix Original

Simbo

Enjoyed first ep, apart from them bloody jump scares you can see coming from a mile off yet there's nout u can do about it!!! All part of the fun though.

Watching alone, lights out, headphones on, in a haunted building definitely adds to it.

Art Vandelay

I'm 2 episodes in and it's pretty scary for me. Been watching it alone at 1am every night in the pitch dark with headphones. It gets tense as feck. :lol:
:lol: Maybe I'm just insensitive to it these days. There were a couple of creepy scenes I suppose, but the more they explain the less scary it gets and there's a lot of explaining.
Also, fun fact...

The mother is 47 years old. Can you feckin believe that?!? I was staggered.
Was the mum in spy kids. :drool:
I'm surprised she's only 47! I remember her in Spin City back in the 90's. She looks nowhere near 47 though, which makes me suspect she's a vampire.

pascell

It's such a clever, clever series in how it's written and played out. The way it shows and builds each character's story in this is brilliant, probably up there with the best I've seen as a collective series.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It's such a clever, clever series in how it's written and played out. The way it shows and builds each character's story in this is brilliant, probably up there with the best I've seen as a collective series.
Watch his film Oculus. Underrated horror. Theo plays the ghost in it and it follows a similar narrative vehicle.

vanthaman

Winner
Binged it all today, really liked it but only jumped once. Anyone that passed out/threw up watching that probably got scared at the scary movie films

Art Vandelay

I finished it, it's not great. I was more bored than scared. All that drama is a bit wasted when you don't particularly like any of the characters. It was ok. I dunno why people were throwing up, sounds like bullshit to me.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wife is forcing me to watch this, I don't care for horror normally, since it's mostly just jump scares without a lot of substance, but it's allright so far.

I pity the person vomiting over how scary this is though. It's not THAT scary is it.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I'm 5 in and it's pretty decent. I like that we're getting an episode from each characters pov and I assume this will culminate in them returning to the house to face their demons. I also like that it's just cultivating a general creepy atmosphere rather than going for cheap jump scares. I always get the impression that there's something hiding in the background of a scene like there was in the first few episodes.

Things I don't like. The middle sister with the super powers belongs in one of the X men movies. I know this is a horror/fantasy but it comes across as ludicrous, not just reading people from touch but feckin walls and shit. :houllier:

Also the paths all the characters ended up taking due to what happened in their childhood is a little too 'on the nose'. The older sister running some kind of corpse beauticians is especially noteworthy.

Shark

@NotShark
I was so disappointed with the final episode, it felt really cheap and rushed. Also some ridiculous scenes imo.

gza the genius

I am on EP 3 and it is fantastic, better than The first season of The Exorcist
I just finished the third episode last night and I like it a lot. Not scary at all though, mind. Tense, but not scary.

Is The Exorcist show actually good? I remember seeing commercials for it and just assuming it would be terrible.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I just finished the third episode last night and I like it a lot. Not scary at all though, mind. Tense, but not scary.

Is The Exorcist show actually good? I remember seeing commercials for it and just assuming it would be terrible.
I thought it was. Nothing like this tho. Lot more schlocky and fecked up.

Plus I automatically find stuff with demons, Satan, crucifixes and dodgy voices unsettling. Probably the only type of horror that gets anywhere close to scaring or unnerving me.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Enjoyed first ep, apart from them bloody jump scares you can see coming from a mile off yet there's nout u can do about it!!! All part of the fun though.

Watching alone, lights out, headphones on, in a haunted building definitely adds to it.
:lol::lol::lol:

Art Vandelay

The Exorcist is very good, especially the first series. Although there's one bit that might have you in stitches laughing unintentionally, other than that it's very good.

I thought it was. Nothing like this tho. Lot more schlocky and fecked up.

Plus I automatically find stuff with demons, Satan, crucifixes and dodgy voices unsettling. Probably the only type of horror that gets anywhere close to scaring or unnerving me.
I'm the same. When it's a demon or something otherworldly it feels like it can get scary, but when it's like the ghost of an old man or something it just falls a bit flat for me.

Simbo

I had a bit of a 'spill', as that guy would call it, a few years ago. Woke up around 2am hearing faint voices, soon followed by several really loud bangs as a girl ran into my room to the edge of my bed before disappearing when I turned the light on. Old lady in the apartment next door had a similar episode not long after, came knocking on my door late at night all confused saying that she'd just seen the girl that 'lived with me' :eek: running through her apartment. It's an old converted cotton mill.

I completely avoided horror TV since but guess I'm over it now cos I'm enjoying this, 5 eps in, tis a good show.

onemanarmy

I'm the same. When it's a demon or something otherworldly it feels like it can get scary, but when it's like the ghost of an old man or something it just falls a bit flat for me.
Completely the opposite for me. Put a ghost of an old guy somewhere in a corner and I'm freaked out. Demons, gore and stuff don't bother me. The sleep paralysis scenes were absolutely terrifying.

Spoony

The People's President
The had sleep paralysis a fortnight ago. It's weird. Anyway I'm three episodes in. Wouldn't say I'm hooked but it's decent enough.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The had sleep paralysis a fortnight ago. It's weird. Anyway I'm three episodes in. Wouldn't say I'm hooked but it's decent enough.
Scariest thing in person I've ever been through in person. Glad to see it brought up in film.

...not.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
After watching something like this I love trawling the internet looking for fan theories and so on. Just a bit of fun to read.

I'll spoiler just in case.

There's a confirmed, I believe, theory that the children represent the 5 stages of grief, in order. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Luke was born just before Nell.

Another question I found myself asking through the show was "Why women?" Why was it only Olivia being torn apart by this? And Poppy before her? And Mr Dudley only talks about the women going mad, doesn't he.
I did read something interesting about the house not turning people crazy. They were already going mad, the house just keeps them there after. Poppy was "clinically insane", according to Mrs Dudley. Olivia was clearly stressed and suffering mental health issues.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It doesn’t get properly good until eps 5 & 6, then stays good for a bit, and then gets less good again, but it’s pretty decent and engrossing all in all.

Things I don't like. The middle sister with the super powers belongs in one of the X men movies. I know this is a horror/fantasy but it comes across as ludicrous, not just reading people from touch but feckin walls and shit. :houllier:
Yeah, said the same to my gf and she just looked at me snarkily and said “that’s the thing you find unbelievable?” which is fair, but there’s just something a bit off about it, even in a ghost story. Maybe it’s the gloves?

Also, the already middle aged Elliot from ET being played by an only slightly older and completely different looking actor in the current timeline was really discombobulating...

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Yeah, said the same to my gf and she just looked at me snarkily and said “that’s the thing you find unbelievable?” which is fair, but there’s just something a bit off about, even in a ghost story. Maybe it’s the gloves?

Also, the already middle aged Elliot from ET being played by an only slightly older and completely different looking actor in the current timeline was really discombobulating...
The fact that anyone takes her serious in the gloves was a bit of a stretch. Especially her skeptical family members.

Spoony

The People's President
I've enjoyed so far. Theo's powers are out of place...but I don't think it detracts from the entertainment. I actually think the show's well crafted, but not particularly scary.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Anyboy seen the 1963 film?