Television The Haunting Of Hill House - Netflix Original

DouLou

Been caught pooping
90% great, 10% utter bollocks caused by the ending.

They dropped the ball by humanizing the ghosts so much. I get they didn't need to be malicious, but in the end every eerie/creepy thing they did was completely undermimed by ghosts apparently retaining all the logical thought that comes with being human.

So why the feck are they going around creeping people out for the series?

And what are the family going to do eternally in the house? Talk about the good old times like when the mum made her daughter hang herself? It's all a load of old bollocks. As if anyone wants to live forever in a shitty old house.

Ghosts should remain mysterious/creepy entities with an "echo" of humanity but mostly overworldy. And if they aren't going to be that way, it should be at least established at the start and not do a complete u-turn at the end that makes the whole thing an inconsistent mess.

Also, happy endings in horrors are gay.

2E_MUFC

This story is finished.
I don’t mean the Craine story. It’s
Pretty much confirmed they are going to do another series. I personally think they should leave the Craine story but most
of the people that played them have come out and said they would love to return.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I don’t mean the Craine story. It’s
Pretty much confirmed they are going to do another series. I personally think they should leave the Craine story but most
of the people that played them have come out and said they would love to return.
Mike Flanagan (the guy who created the show) has used a few cast members in his other works, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them return as new characters in a different story:

Kate Siegel, who played Theo, and is married to Flanagan, appeared in Oculus, Hush, Ouija: Origin of Evil and Gerald's Game.
Carla Gugino, who played the mother, appeared in Gerald's Game.
Henry Thomas, who played the younger version of the dad, appeared in Ouija: Origin of Evil and Gerald's Game.
James Lafferty, who played the guy Shirley cheated with, appeared in Oculus.

Kate Siegel seems an absolute cert to be in a second series considering he seems to cast her in everything he does.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
90% great, 10% utter bollocks caused by the ending.

They dropped the ball by humanizing the ghosts so much. I get they didn't need to be malicious, but in the end every eerie/creepy thing they did was completely undermimed by ghosts apparently retaining all the logical thought that comes with being human.

So why the feck are they going around creeping people out for the series?

And what are the family going to do eternally in the house? Talk about the good old times like when the mum made her daughter hang herself? It's all a load of old bollocks. As if anyone wants to live forever in a shitty old house.

Ghosts should remain mysterious/creepy entities with an "echo" of humanity but mostly overworldy. And if they aren't going to be that way, it should be at least established at the start and not do a complete u-turn at the end that makes the whole thing an inconsistent mess.

Also, happy endings in horrors are gay.
I know what you mean. I don't think it undermined the show though, we were told that some of the family that lived in the house previously were feckin' crazy. My problem with the ending was it got very wordy. The mother character who was lovely when she wasn't a ghost got a bit annoying when she was. I understand her reasoning, she was driven by family and love etc. But it was a bit too deep at the end. It almost got the ending right for me, it was close.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
I know what you mean. I don't think it undermined the show though, we were told that some of the family that lived in the house previously were feckin' crazy. My problem with the ending was it got very wordy. The mother character who was lovely when she wasn't a ghost got a bit annoying when she was. I understand her reasoning, she was driven by family and love etc. But it was a bit too deep at the end. It almost got the ending right for me, it was close.
I did get a bit too monologue-y at the end but some of the best bits were monologues too. I'm just not a fan of ghosts being basically people, cause then it just begs the question "why the feck are they doing freaky ghosty shit all the time then". Like Nell being the bent neck lady was great, as were her subsequent ghostly appearances. But at the end shes just Nell again, but dead. Then the dad was the same. Then that lady that looked after the house was the same. But you got that lanky fella with his cane fecking with people, so what's the deal with that?

I know I'm trying to rationalize things too much, but keep ghosts ghostly!

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
So... renaming it then... ;)
Wouldnt say thats renaming it tbf. American Horror story is American Horror Story, the seasons are differentiated by adding in what the seasons about. This only happened from season 2 though.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Binged 5 eps yesterday. It is fecking great, not Exorcist S1 great, but still great.

Parma Dewol

Only just got around to watching this, finished it last night and thought it was excellent from start to finish.

Properly scary, and it didn't help that I kept seeing the ghosts in the background that my wife kept missing! Turns out there will lots of them:

stepic

agree with the general sentiment. really good show up until the end, which was way too much of an attempted feel good/happy ending. also the lame acoustic guitar music behind all the monologue was really really bad.

and yeh, i kinda didn't get the point - are they suggesting the house is a good thing? because you get to live forever together? that's a weird ol take, and completely random compared to the rest of the show.

what i did like was how they showed consequence of growing up into adulthood after being terrorised by ghosts as kids. that part i did like. but the ending was really poor.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I just finished this. Was great up to episode 5 (bent neck lady) and got progressively shit thereafter.

I really didn't get the hype, but I'm enough a sucker to stay interested for a second season. Netflix logic!

TheBest

SPNTBP
Just finshed this. The Bent neck lady sequence was pretty amazing. Great series but the ending was a bit weak although I kind of expected that.