The Hurricane Thread | Hurricane Otis

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

Downgraded to a Category 4 now which was to be expected, but it's still looking to hit Florida pretty hard in the next 36-48 hours or so. Hopefully it keeps losing strength and speed and it causes the absolute minimum damage.

Carolina Red

Staff
The midpoint of the track models has shifted to the west some, which is actually worst case scenario. It's looking like it could midpoint Florida and head straight up the entirety of the state.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Hold fast buddy
Well, if there is a bright side to any of this - for you at least, it should have significantly slowed down by the time it reaches SC.

It may become a category 5 again as it passes over the warm carribean waters, but by the time it's been over Florida, nowhere near that.

Are you in an at-risk area?

Carolina Red

Staff
Well, if there is a bright side to any of this - for you at least, it should have significantly slowed down by the time it reaches SC.

It may become a category 5 again as it passes over the warm carribean waters, but by the time it's been over Florida, nowhere near that.

Are you in an at-risk area?
I'm in the Upstate of SC. Yesterday we were dead center of the projected path, but the cone of uncertainty has moved a bit to the west of us.

The things I'm concerned most about in SC are...

1) my wife is scheduled to be charge nurse over her hospital's ICU on Monday night when this thing is hitting. I've gotta make sure she makes the 20 min drive there and back safe

2) is the governor going to cancel school? Because 30mph winds tip over busses... that said, going back to #1, if he doesn't cancel school, how can I make sure my wife makes it to work and back safely

ATXRedDevil

Stay safe guys and good luck. I live in Houston and just went through this with Harvey (although myself and most of the people close to me were very lucky, thankfully). Fill your bath tubs with water if you're in south Florida, just in case.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
Stay safe guys and good luck. I live in Houston and just went through this with Harvey (although myself and most of the people close to me were very lucky, thankfully). Fill your bath tubs with water if you're in south Florida, just in case.
We'll do that. If I can reach out to everyone stay vigilant this isn't a joke.

peridigm

I have a cousin that lives in Daytona. Dumbass is not leaving. He stayed for Mathew last year and was outside live streaming on Facebook during the wrath. This one looks to be more dangerous. I can't imagine going through this. I have jokingly told my wife that when our two kids are finished with college in 4-6 years we're selling the house and relocating to warmer weather. Florida was on that list but not anymore.

last I saw Jose is predicted to loop around and possibly hit Florida in 10-14 days. Between Harvey, Irma, and Jose, the US economy it going to be hit hard. Gas is already spiking everywhere due to Harvey.

If you live in Irma's path, don't be stupid. If you do plan on staying, do as they tell people who ignore evacuation orders, write your ID on your arm in black sharpie.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Is the house sturdy @Billy Blaggs? You'll probably be fine now that you're inland. You'd be away from the city and coast so storm surges won't happen and floods won't be devastating if they even occur. A decent house will put up with the winds.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Our daughter is finishing her Masters in Florida. Her uni in Miami is closed for a week. But she lives near Ft. Lauderdale. She decided to stay though I offered to fly her and her dog down a few days ago.
She is moving inland to a friend's who just happened to be going to hospital to have her baby. The little catch is they have 4 dogs plus hers..5. :eek:

Sounds sensible and hopefully she can ride it out. The problem is the entire state is being hit. Inland of course is better.

Generally the governor and the local authorities have been handling everything very professionally.
People need to listen to the announcements and evacution orders.

We are glued to the weather channel and just keeping tabs.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Is the house sturdy @Billy Blaggs? You'll probably be fine now that you're inland. You'd be away from the city and coast so storm surges won't happen and floods won't be devastating if they even occur. A decent house will put up with the winds.
The hurricane is only part of the thing people have to worry though, the aftermath is equally unpleasant and dangerous.

Lack of clean water, electricity, food, and potential criminals lurking, if it hit hards it'll be a while till things get back to normal even if your house is intact.

Fully Fledged

Our daughter is finishing her Masters in Florida. Her uni in Miami is closed for a week. But she lives near Ft. Lauderdale. She decided to stay though I offered to fly her and her dog down a few days ago.
She is moving inland to a friend's who just happened to be going to hospital to have her baby. The little catch is they have 4 dogs plus hers..5. :eek:

Sounds sensible and hopefully she can ride it out. The problem is the entire state is being hit. Inland of course is better.

Generally the governor and the local authorities have been handling everything very professionally.
People need to listen to the announcements and evacution orders.

We are glued to the weather channel and just keeping tabs.
I hope that she and the dogs keep safe.

I hope that everybody stays safe during the worst of this storm.

Fully Fledged

cheers. like @Sky1981 said, its the aftermath that can be worse.
Yeah living with out utilities for an extended period of time can be really bad. Lawlessness in a state where a large portion of the criminals have guns can also be a big problem.

As I said I hope for the best for everyone and their families.

Green_Red

My father had a ticket to visit South Florida this week and he canceled it upon news of Irma, airlines won't refund him since they haven't been given that latitude to do so. Gotta love traveler rights - they don't exist
Are things like that insured if you pay by credit card?

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States