The Impossible Draft

idmanager

It’s weird but i think the island that he was born is considered French. I am ok if it is considered North America though ;)
Yea its an overseas French territory, but comes in Carribeans which is in North America. I picked Tresor who is from the same place.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yea its an overseas territory, but comes in Carribeans which is in North America. I picked Tresor who is from the same place.
Guadeloupe is a region of France - seems pretty conclusive on Wiki as it says "Country: France". Unless I've entirely misunderstood the rules, both players are from France.

In this case it's academic because @Indnyc misses his go in the same way @Moby missed his go.

Indnyc

Guadeloupe is a region of France - seems pretty conclusive on Wiki as it says "Country: France". Unless I've entirely misunderstood the rules, both players are from France.

In this case it's academic because @Indnyc misses his go in the same way @Moby missed his go.
I am fine if it is France. My team would be Thuram and Cantona from France. Fontaine from Morocco

idmanager

Yes it counts as a French player but the continent should be north america.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yea its an overseas French territory, but comes in Carribeans which is in North America. I picked Tresor who is from the same place.
Does it matter tho? In the rules say 2 per country and Guadeloupe is French? :confused:

Always gray area with those overseas territories...

Nah he's fine, as Fontaine is considered from Morocco - so he has just two - Cantona and Thuram.

idmanager

Does it matter tho? In the rules say 2 per country and Guadeloupe is French? :confused:
It does matter. There is also a limit of 6 per continent. So I am counting Tresor as French but the continent as North America

Googling guadeloupe continent clearly indicates its in North America

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Guadalupe is France.
Yes, Guadeloupe is a French territory since the 18th century.

Nah he's fine, as Fontaine is considered from Morocco - so he has just two - Cantona and Thuram.
Indeed, Fontaine is born in Marrakech, which is nowadays a Moroccan city. Fontaine is a Morrocan player in this draft

Have you seen Guadeloupe in the world map?
It is no where near Europe.

What is the logic in placing it in ? Even wiki clearly says its an overseas territory
Indeed, the rationale behind this rule is odd but you can't say Guadeloupe participates in the Copa America.

I mean Guadeloupe doesn't have a real football national team authorized to be part of a FIFA tournament. However, the 'Guadeloupe team' exists and is under the supervision of the French Football Association which has a signed a deal with the Confederation Of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football.

Guadeloupe can play the Gold Cup but not the World Cup.

@Edgar Allan Pillow has all the info to take a final decision

Last edited:

idmanager

Yes, Guadeloupe is a French territory since the 18th century.

Indeed, Fontaine is born in Marrakech, which is nowadays a Moroccan city. Fontaine is a Morrocan player in this draft

Indeed, the rationale behind this rule is odd but you can't say Guadeloupe participates in the Copa America.

I mean Guadeloupe doesn't have a football national team.
I dont think that was a criteria eitherways. The only criteria was place or birth when it comes to continents. By the same logic Fontaine never played for Morocco too

Enigma_87

You know who
It does matter. There is also a limit of 6 per continent. So I am counting Tresor as French but the continent as North America

Googling guadeloupe continent clearly indicates its in North America
Hadn't looked it under that angle.

Although probably in the 12th/13th pick I have to lump some guys from Africa or Asia in the team..

idmanager

Hadn't looked it under that angle.

Although probably in the 12th/13th pick I have to lump some guys from Africa or Asia in the team..
I had picked Tresor as born in North America but French.

Davids born in Suriname which is in South America but an overseas Dutch territory.

Enigma_87

You know who

Davids born in Suriname which is in South America but an overseas Dutch territory.
You better iron out that with Edgar mate. No idea what counts for what with those permutations.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I dont think that was a criteria eitherways. The only criteria was place or birth when it comes to continents. By the same logic Fontaine never played for Morocco too
I understand your rationale.

You understand the rule from a geographical standpoint.

idmanager

Didn't realize Guadalupe has its own football team under CONCACAF.

Ok for it to be North America.

Please check before you make similar picks.
In hindsight you are right, should have checked. Just checked Suriname FA is under CONCACAF too.

Cheers

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Suriname is currently its own country that is considered independent, it is no longer a Dutch territory so Davids would be Suriname, South America

But Guadelope, c.2018, is technically considered part of the European Union and Europe despite being in North America:

It is considered an "overseas region" of France and part of the EU

Guadeloupe (/ˌɡwɒdəˈluːp/; French pronunciation: [ɡwadəlup]; Antillean Creole: Gwadloup) is an insular region of France located in the Leeward Islands, part of the Lesser Antilles in the Caribbean. Administratively, it is an overseas region consisting of a single overseas department. With a land area of 1,628 square kilometres (629 square miles) and an estimated population of 400,132 as of January 2015, it is the largest and most populous European Union territory in North America

Guadeloupe, like the other overseas departments, is an integral part of France. As a constituent territory of the European Unionand the Eurozone, the euro[4] is its official currency and any European Union citizen is free to settle and work there indefinitely.

Moby

Dick
Sorry. Can't change. Zizinho is blocked for this draft and your squad will now only have 13 players.
Just checked that this wasn't mentioned in the OP. The line you quoted says that if we pick a player we cannot change it no matter what.

According to which, I should keep Zizinho despite not being able to play him.

What you said is a rule you created after the draft had started.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Moreno cannot be picked as he's unavailable.

The lose turn rule only applies if you pick a available player who just doesn't fit your team quota.

Ok for Indnyc to pick again.
Agree with @Moby. I don't think the rule should exist at all but as it was described, the player you pick is the player you pick. If he wasn't pick-able then you'll be punished by losing your go. There wasn't any additional criteria about when a re-pick is allowed.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Agree with @Moby. I don't think the rule should exist at all but as it was described, the player you pick is the player you pick. If he wasn't pick-able then you'll be punished by losing your go. There wasn't any additional criteria about when a re-pick is allowed.
It's been that way for previous drafts.

Just checked that this wasn't mentioned in the OP. The line you quoted says that if we pick a player we cannot change it no matter what.

According to which, I should keep Zizinho despite not being able to play him.

What you said is a rule you created after the draft had started.
No. It tends to get used a block tactic which I don't want to happen.

Just pick within rules and we'll have a good draft. Let's not try to break the draft.

Moby

Dick
o. It tends to get used a block tactic which I don't want to happen.

Just pick within rules and we'll have a good draft. Let's not try to break the draft.
No I'm just saying that a player who was picked and doesn't fulfil the criteria gets blocked is mentioned nowhere in the OP and was added after 5 rounds were over.

If you wanted that to be the case, should have said so in the OP.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
And that as per the OP, Zizinho will remain as my pick. Not blocked or available for others to pick.
No. The rules clearly state you cannot have more than the criteria players in your squad, usable or not.

Below Draft restrictions applies to whole squad, not just playing XI
So there is no way Zizinho can be in your squad.

Moby

Dick
No. The squad rules clearly state you cannot have more than the criteria players in your squad, usable or not.

So there is no way Zizinho can be in your squad.
It also says that once you pick someone, it cannot be changed.

You did not mention anything about what happens in the scenario where an ineligible player is picked.