The Improvement of Harry Maguire

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
My God he was brilliant tonight, cleared everything in the air and on the ground.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Absolutely immense tonight. He gets far too much shit and nowhere near enough credit. He’s not perfect but he’s a damn good central defender.
Yep. Maybe his best game in a United shirt. You’d have all the cliches coming out if that was putting us within sniff of the title.

el3mel

That was a colossal performance today. I criticized him a lot previously but he has been great recently. Very pleased.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Absolutely immense tonight. He gets far too much shit and nowhere near enough credit. He’s not perfect but he’s a damn good central defender.
He goes a bit under the radar because he almost never makes those mental recovery tackles like Baily does where he sprints 30 yards and puts in a crunching sliding tackle.

His stats speak for themselves though

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s good most of the time. For the amount of the ball we have our attackers need to do even more. Too often they do enough to scrape a goal ahead and then get all laid back about it and it inevitably invites too much pressure to build on our defence. We need to be more urgent getting the second goal.

SeanyC

He’s beginning to look decent just got to keep it going and needs a better partner

Kag

He’s just a really good centre half. The shit he gets is agenda driven tosh peddled by people who still have their knickers in a twist about his transfer fee.

He’s so far away from the problem. Has he even missed a minute of Premier League football for us yet?

thepolice123

My MOTM today. Was an absolute ball magnet in the box. Also had the composure to pass the ball out of pressure.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Since joining he's been consistently brilliant bar the start of this season which probably was because of the whole Greece fiasco playing on him.

Delighted we coughed up the money for him.

galwayfa

Hes class, all his mistakes are punished which makes him look worse,
Shaw
Bruno
Harry
My 3 most important players for utd

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The GA column is interesting for United this season. We have now shipped 32 in 29 games, but 11 in the first three. So it’s 21 in the subsequent 26. Our attack is what has really hamstrung us this season. Even in games where we shipped late goals, we often missed very presentable chances. We are simply not a clinical team.

Jonno

It’s not so much an improvement, he’s actually been excellent for us since he signed. its the fact its taken a good 12-18 months for his detractors to slowly change their minds on him.

He’s an excellent CB, without doubt top 5 in the PL and fully deserves his place in the team.

I’ve gone on week-long debates with his haters on this thread, and it’s nice to see some people are starting to see the light.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It’s not so much an improvement, he’s actually been excellent for us since he signed. its the fact its taken a good 12-18 months for his detractors to slowly change their minds on him.

He’s an excellent CB, without doubt top 5 in the PL and fully deserves his place in the team.

I’ve gone on week-long debates with his haters on this thread, and it’s nice to see some people are starting to see the light.
He really has. It's madness anyone thinks he's easily replaceable for us just because he isn't Usain Bolt.

GueRed

Harry Maguire has improved our defence.

imagine a Bailly - Lindelof partnership over the course of a season :lol: carnage.

Coops73

Was excellent again yesterday, I think he’s a quality CB and has improved our defence massively.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
thats probably the best ive seen him.
Very much so. I know that we should take most of what is posted in the match day comments.
But Maguire does get a huge amount of adverse comments.
Yes he had a difficult start to the season. But he is a very solid and capable central defender.
I have to say that the back 4 and particularly Shaw have been very good lately.

Deery

Dreary
Good to see him coming out and getting blocks in I think someone must have told him that that was a real problem, he looks so much better when he does this.

red4ever 79

Been different class the past few weeks to be fair. I still have an instant dislike towards the bloke though, dont know what it is.

RUCK4444

Said last night he should have been MOTM. I've said for a long time he gets so much stick it's untrue from our fans, when in reality he's comfortably our best central defender and always fit, never hides.

He has his limitations but he didn't set the price we paid, if you asked him he would probably wish it had been a far less amount due to the ridiculous pressure the price tag adds.

You can see he has another level in him yet as well, if we select the correct CB partner for him we should have a very solid defence.

I know it's Leicester again but I would be really keeping close tabs on Fofana. Really like the look of that kid, I'm not sure what his contract situation is like but I have a good feeling about him progressing into a top defender.

Zen86

He's been a very good defender for some time. Maybe having Henderson behind them has created a more cohesive unit though, as we've not had many of those last minute clangers recently.

RashyForPM

The GA column is interesting for United this season. We have now shipped 32 in 29 games, but 11 in the first three. So it’s 21 in the subsequent 26. Our attack is what has really hamstrung us this season. Even in games where we shipped late goals, we often missed very presentable chances. We are simply not a clinical team.
I think it’s neither tbh. No problem with the defence (AWB can be absolutely awful in attack though) or attack (Rashford and Bruno are fantastic, and we’ve scored loads of goals this season. Problem for me is McFred in midfield. Once Pogba gets injured, we lose boundless amounts of attacking impetus.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I think it's a shame that sometimes he has such comical errors, and of course the curse of his transfer fee. I think his style of defending and play is one of the most aesthetically pleasing. A very clean defender, wins every aerial duel, agressive interceptions, ball playing ability, has a nice cross pass, he can actually dribble. He should be scoring more, and less of the big game errors, but generally a huge fan of him. Here in Holland, commentators think he is a championship player and they never commend him when he has yet another perfect match. I think his partnership with Lindelof is improving, and I'm expecting a lot from him and Stones at the Euro's.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Preggy99

I like Harry, solid and clam at the back, lacks pace obviously but for me needs a defensive partner with pace. Bailly is perfect when he can stay fit. I reckon Maguire/Bailly/One other could be an option and we go to 3 at the back. It may even accommodate VDB in midfield then, we need someone in midfield who can pass and transition to the front players quicker. When Pogba is out we severely lack this.

red4ever 79

I think it’s neither tbh. No problem with the defence (AWB can be absolutely awful in attack though) or attack (Rashford and Bruno are fantastic, and we’ve scored loads of goals this season. Problem for me is McFred in midfield. Once Pogba gets injured, we lose boundless amounts of attacking impetus.
100% agree. That combination is not good enough going forwards. One of those need to be replaced with a midfielder who can pass and move. What a shame we dont have anyone who can fill that void.

Kostov

Maguire will never get the praise he deserves, there will always be a whining about his price tag, or how he is not as good as Lewis Dunk after the first mistake he makes. The reality is, Maguire is one of the best CB in the league, and probably only a healthy VVD e is as dominant as he is.

lysglimt

Scout
Take the captains armband off him and all you’ve got is a Chris Smalling. £80 million for a slow defender is a disgrace. I just hope with the DOF etc we don’t make that mistake twice. Could have got 2 top defenders for that price!
Weird comparison - they are as different as they come.

LoneStar

We're in an era where there are very few genuinely world class centre backs around. Think back 20 years, you'd go into European games as worried about the opposition centre backs as you were the opposition strikers. I can't think of the last time an opposition centre back stood out as a particularly fearsome opponent.

Given this, Maguire is among the better centre backs around. Don't wish to damn him with faint praise or anything, but there really aren't any centre backs these days other than Van Dijk who have no obvious flaws in their game. I'd struggle to name too many centre backs I'd rather have than Maguire.
Re. your first point, that likely is due to the nature of football these days. What was considered a tackle then is probably very different to what it is now. Same with tactics and everything else.

Maguire has been very solid for us, and we need to find a partner to compliment his strengths. Like OP mentioned, his fitness is also a massive plus (guy plays every minute of every match pretty much). Imagine if we had someone who was absolutely world class but could only okay for 40-50% of the total season.