g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

The Improvement of Harry Maguire

hp88

1 step forward, 2 steps back with Harry....

Just don’t feel confident at times likes this

Valencia Shin Crosses

He’s not good, simple as that. Unless you’re a team that wants to sit back so he can defend balls into the box all day, he’s not close to be goood enough. It’s the one purchase that Ole has made that I’ve fully disagree with and thought we got ripped off the moment it happened.

Renegade

Please just quietly hand the band over to Bruno. No fuss, no announcement. Just next game please let us see Bruno lead us out with the band and we’ll forget Maguire ever captained us.

InfiniteBoredom

He’s not good, simple as that. Unless you’re a team that wants to sit back so he can defend balls into the box all day, he’s not close to be goood enough. It’s the one purchase that Ole has made that I’ve fully disagree with and thought we got ripped off the moment it happened.
I said at the time that we’ve managed to sell Lukaku and then bought the Lukaku of defenders. The way it’s panning out at the moment, not that far off tbh.

RORY65

If he's your 2nd best centre back then that's decent, if he's meant to be your best centre back then that's not good enough. Basically all of our centre backs are Robins and we don't have a Batman. The concern is that the club are delusional, they broke the world record fee to sign him and then made him captain so soon because they think they've got United's version of Van Dijk when he's arguably not even as good as Gomez.

Agila Dathi

46 goals conceded already this season in the PL. Just 8 less than the 54 we conceded in 18/19 that convinced us to spunk a WR fee on him with 16 games to go.
I know our defence is shit, but we have not conceded 46 goals in the league, we have conceded 30 goals.

Toad

He is just dreadful, watching him chase after attackers when Bailly would do a great job there. I just know that we are going to be stuck with him for a long time.

He just isn't good enough and is never a United captain. Nothing personal against the guy, but we need better quality back there, if we are to challenge.

Drainy

Wonder if that leaker saying the club not signing a centre back in the summer because of Maguire being so great will backtrack on that one..

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Our worst problem is that we are totally stuck with him for years. Ole (or any other manager) will not bench captain who cost 80mil. And we can't sell him. So we will keep throwing money on new full backs, new gk, new defenders, new defensive midfielders, change formation and style just to get best of him.
And best of him is only when you park the bus and his only job is to head the balls.

80 fecking millions. 80 millions. I can't beileve that we paid 80 fecking millions to feck up our defence. You can do it for free ffs.

JMack1234

Harry Maguire massively improved when he was playing next to Bailly instead of Lindelof.

Funny that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Harry Maguire massively improved when he was playing next to Bailly instead of Lindelof.

Funny that.
Funny is also that Lindelof is nearly always better than Harry when they play together.
But nevertheless, isn't the point of buying 80mil defender to improve whole defence?

Meh, awful buy by us.

Betson

We are stuck with him some within the club and feel he is un-droppable because we paid so much for him and made him captain , but if we are honest we would admit he is very average at best.

His lack of pace and slowness of turn is a very serious issue for any team that would have serious ambitions.

JMack1234

Funny is also that Lindelof is nearly always better than Harry when they play together.
But nevertheless, isn't the point of buying 80mil defender to improve whole defence?

Meh, awful buy by us.
Yeah I guess we shouldn't have bought an 80 million CB who needs the right partner next to him.

Eugh

Valencia Shin Crosses

We are stuck with him some within the club and feel he is un-droppable because we paid so much for him and made him captain , but if we are honest we would admit he is very average at best.

His lack of pace and slowness of turn is a very serious issue for any team that would have serious ambitions.
We literally expose ourselves when dominating a game like today because at the back end you have him shitting himself to try and get to anything played in behind by Everton. It's a joke compared to any other team that plays on the front foot with a high line, and inexcusable on the board and Ole to ignore such a flaw and pay 80m anyways

Handré1990

Our worst problem is that we are totally stuck with him for years. Ole (or any other manager) will not bench captain who cost 80mil. And we can't sell him. So we will keep throwing money on new full backs, new gk, new defenders, new defensive midfielders, change formation and style just to get best of him.
And best of him is only when you park the bus and his only job is to head the balls.

80 fecking millions. 80 millions. I can't beileve that we paid 80 fecking millions to feck up our defence. You can do it for free ffs.
Sigh, you’re depressing me. Especially because you’re right :(

DarkXaero

This is all 100% spot on, and what makes Maguire one of the worst, if not the worst, transfers of all time.

lsd

The Oracle
Why is he out of position on so many occasions? I've never seen a premiership defender that is constantly in the wrong place to deal with danger

James35

Unfortunately we are stuck with him. Above average defender and in my opinion a terrible captain.

In the summer we need to buy a top class CB with pace and the ability to not completely shit himself on the ball. At the moment we have two completely opposite CBs who will continue to cost us points.

Heinzesight

He’s a perma-fit Phil Jones.

Without the ‘heading a slowly moving ball off the deck’ signature move of course.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
He's a good player. We can definitely win stuff with him playing CB in my view. He's a good enough defender for the top level and he's better at contributing in possession than most. Just wish he'd learn to score goals with his head.

AFC NimbleThumb

If Arsenal had spent £80mil on this guy & he performed as he had for us with blind faith from their fanbase this forum would be taking the p*ss.

Is he a bad defender, no but he has made countless individual errors since his signing to the point it’s no longer surprising.

RooneyLegend

If he's your 2nd best centre back then that's decent, if he's meant to be your best centre back then that's not good enough. Basically all of our centre backs are Robins and we don't have a Batman. The concern is that the club are delusional, they broke the world record fee to sign him and then made him captain so soon because they think they've got United's version of Van Dijk when he's arguably not even as good as Gomez.
What's shocking is Woody refused to give Mou the funds for him and then decided to give Ole the money for him.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I’d be so uninspired if this guy was my captain. The look on his face whenever he makes a mistake for a goal or gets a refereeing decision given against him is like the world is out to get him.

ForeverRed1

The problem is he was so expensive and is on huge wages... he’s not going anywhere.

if ole insists on playing him..he needs to partner him with a cb that compliments him.

it has to be a world class cb. Fast and a good reading of the game to constantly read what maguire is going to do and cover his feck ups.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Tony Adams might be as slow as Harry, but he was partnered with an ape to cover his deficiency. So maybe that's the solution to our Harry. We need a physical CB who just love defending. We used to have one, but the wise man sold him because he "didn't fit the philosophy" and prefers a weak CB who can pass.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Tony Adams might be as slow as Harry, but he was partnered with an ape to cover his deficiency. So maybe that's the solution to our Harry. We need a physical CB who just love defending. We used to have one, but the wise man sold him because he "didn't fit the philosophy" and prefers a weak CB who can pass.
Tony Adams was an excellent reader of the game. Maguire struggles with the basics of positioning so it’s a pretty odd comparison.

IAmAWinner

He's absolutely bang average. We have conceded 30 in 23, he has played every single minute.

Mickson

He's a good player. We can definitely win stuff with him playing CB in my view. He's a good enough defender for the top level and he's better at contributing in possession than most. Just wish he'd learn to score goals with his head.
He scored against Sheffield United, two games ago. It's the least of his problems.

led_scholes

He is an average footballer who probably thinks he is better because we paid 80 millions and made him a captain instantly. He is the type o f guy that probably goes into a bar in the summer getting drunk, then shouting I am the captain of Manchester United. Oh wait..

Honestly, our whole defence seems to have an IQ lower than the rest of our squad. Who can forget Fonsu Mensa in Leipzig? Even yesterday before the goal, there was a moment when Maguire was laying down asking for a foul instead of doing something. What if, Harry, the referee doesn't think its a foul?