The Independent Group for Change | Have decided to disband after ten months

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

6 Labour MPs and a few Tory Remainers expected.
I'd have thought there could be more than that... And I wouldn't be surprised to see some tie in with the libs as that is such a damaged brand... I would have thought 36mps and becoming the 3rd biggest party would have been a real aim... Wonder if we might see balls, Osbourne and Milliband ... Even clegg looking at returning to UK politics

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'd have thought there could be more than that... And I wouldn't be surprised to see some tie in with the libs as that is such a damaged brand... I would have thought 36mps and becoming the 3rd biggest party would have been a real aim... Wonder if we might see balls, Osbourne and Milliband ... Even clegg looking at returning to UK politics
Not exactly the lineup that's gonna got voters queuing up to defect to.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Not exactly the lineup that's gonna got voters queuing up to defect to.
Possibly... But certainly politically they are fairly experienced and having say 10 recognised names with cabinet experience would certainly add a level of credibility... Will be interesting to see who is anybody leaves labour... I'd guess chukka Berger and benn would be the three that spring to mind for me... I wonder if ken Clark might quit the conservatives?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Possibly... But certainly politically they are fairly experienced and having say 10 recognised names with cabinet experience would certainly add a level of credibility... Will be interesting to see who is anybody leaves labour... I'd guess chukka Berger and benn would be the three that spring to mind for me... I wonder if ken Clark might quit the conservatives?
Don't think Benn's the type. I think (for the vast majority) it'll only be people who've always been opposed to Corbyn, most of the other sceptics will see it as a doomed effort and sit tight. Heaven help them if they really are gonna call it the "Reformist Party".

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'The Shameless Careerist Party'.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I agree. It's just I feel Chuka is a fame-seeker.

Sweet Square

Everyone involved with this new party will be working in a cushy private sector job within a year.

Last edited:

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
This does literally nothing but help the Tories. They’re a disgrace.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am fed up with politics in this country. By all means leave the party but why now?

Smores

The look at me party. I don't think you'll find any of the sensible lot (Benn/Cooper) moving across.

A minority party so Chukka can get some more air time and prats like Kinnock can moan as that's all he's good for.

I looked forward to hearing their bullshit justifications

Drifter

American
The new gang of four. Good luck with that ,and good riddance.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I am fed up with politics in this country. By all means leave the party but why now?
If they split off now they can try and force him to support a second amendment by refusing to vote with Labour on anything else until he does. That’s not really a workable position while still a Labour MP.

Adisa

If they split off now they can try and force him to support a second amendment by refusing to vote with Labour on anything else until he does. That’s not really a workable position while still a Labour MP.
A second referendum will not pass parliament whether Corbyn supports it or not.

Kaos

Ahh Chukka, the same attention starved mug who edited his own Wikipedia page to describe himself as ‘The British Obama’. Surprised its taken him this long considering the years hes gone being outside of the Labour spotlight.

GloryHunter07

Ahh Chukka, the same attention starved mug who edited his own Wikipedia page to describe himself as ‘The British Obama’. Surprised its taken him this long considering the years hes gone being outside of the Labour spotlight.
Ive no idea if that is true but :lol:

Smores

Exactly what Corbyn deserves for shitting on the will of his own party membership.
Huh? The position was agreed at conference.

The People's Vote lot pulled their own second referendum amendment because as they said it wouldn't pass with or without Corbyns support. Uproar over Corbyn not tabling one when the Peoples Vote lot haven't is laughable

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
A second referendum will not pass parliament whether Corbyn supports it or not.
Depends on what happens in the coming weeks. The closer we get to crashing out, the more the alternatives will be properly considered. May has clearly been setting them up so they're only left with her deal or nothing, and her deal is horrible.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Our country faces enormous challenges.
Brexit has exposed all that is wrong with today’s political parties. But our country faces challenges that go deeper than Brexit. Our economy is underperforming. Too many of us live in poverty, or struggle to make ends meet. While our society ages, many of us are worrying about how we will look after our families. Crime is on the rise. Our place in the world is uncertain and the risks to our environment are growing.

The Conservatives are captured by their right-wing, Labour by their hard left, and all put their own party interests before what is best for the country.

It’s time we changed our old-fashioned politics for politics fit for the 21st century.

Don’t give up in the face of messy, frustrating politics. Join us and help change our broken politics for the better.
Statement of Independence

We are leaving the Labour Party to sit as the Independent Group of Members of Parliament.

Our primary duty as Members of Parliament is to put the best interests of our constituents and our country first. Yet like so many others, we believe that none of today’s political parties are fit to provide the leadership and direction needed by our country.

Our aim is to pursue policies that are evidence-based, not led by ideology, taking a long-term perspective to the challenges of the 21st century in the national interest, rather than locked in the old politics of the 20th century in the party’s interests.

As an Independent Group we aim to recognise the value of healthy debate, show tolerance towards different opinions and seek to reach across outdated divides and build consensus to tackle Britain’s problems.

Our values

We believe:

• Ours is a great country of which people are rightly proud, where the first duty of government must be to defend its people and do whatever it takes to safeguard Britain’s national security.

• Britain works best as a diverse, mixed social market economy, in which well-regulated private enterprise can reward aspiration and drive economic progress and where government has the responsibility to ensure the sound stewardship of taxpayer’s money and a stable, fair and balanced economy.

• A strong economy means we can invest in our public services. We believe the collective provision of public services and the NHS can be delivered through government action, improving health and educational life chances, protecting the public, safeguarding the vulnerable, ensuring dignity at every stage of life and placing individuals at the heart of decision-making.

• The people of this country have the ability to create fairer, more prosperous communities for present and future generations. We believe that this creativity is best realised in a society which fosters individual freedom and supports all families.

• The barriers of poverty, prejudice and discrimination facing individuals should be removed and advancement occur on the basis of merit, with inequalities reduced through the extension of opportunity, giving individuals the skills and means to open new doors and fulfil their ambitions.

• Individuals are capable of taking responsibility if opportunities are offered to them, everybody can and should make a contribution to society and that contribution should be recognised. Paid work should be secure and pay should be fair.

• Our free media, the rule of law, and our open, tolerant and respectful democratic society should be cherished and renewed.

• We believe that our parliamentary democracy in which our elected representatives deliberate, decide and provide leadership, held accountable by their whole electorate is the best system of representing the views of the British people.

• In order to face the challenges and opportunities presented by globalisation, migration and technological advances, we believe the multilateral, international rules-based order must be strengthened and reformed. We believe in maintaining strong alliances with our closest European and international allies on trade, regulation, defence, security and counter-terrorism

• As part of the global community we have a responsibility to future generations to protect our environment, safeguard the planet, plan development sustainably and to act on the urgency of climate change.

• Power should be devolved to the most appropriate level, trusting and involving local communities. More powers and representation should be given to local government to act in the best interests of their communities.

The Independent Group of MPs

Each of us has dedicated decades to the progressive values that were once held true by Labour, values which have since been abandoned by today’s Labour Party.

Labour now pursues policies that would weaken our national security; accepts the narratives of states hostile to our country; has failed to take a lead in addressing the challenge of Brexit and to provide a strong and coherent alternative to the Conservatives’ approach; is passive in circumstances of international humanitarian distress; is hostile to businesses large and small; and threatens to destabilise the British economy in pursuit of ideological objectives.

For a Party that once committed to pursue a spirit of solidarity, tolerance and respect, it has changed beyond recognition. Today, visceral hatreds of other people, views and opinions are commonplace in and around the Labour Party.

It is not simply that our values are no longer welcome in the Labour Party; the values we hold mean that, in all conscience, we can have no confidence in the Party’s collective leadership, competence or culture.

To fix our broken politics, we are clear that we want to develop a different approach. We recognise that every member of our group has the right to be heard and a duty to lead. We commit to support each other and treat each other with respect.

Sitting as the Independent Group of MPs we appeal to colleagues from all parties to consider the best interests of the country above short-term party-political considerations and choose to do likewise.
From their website.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Huh? The position was agreed at conference.

The People's Vote lot pulled their own second referendum amendment because as they said it wouldn't pass with or without Corbyns support. Uproar over Corbyn not tabling one when the Peoples Vote lot haven't is laughable
The position was a compromise that appeared to listen to the membership while giving the leadership lots of wiggle room. It's completely clear now that there isn't going to be a new election after his vote of no confidence failed, so where is Corbyn's support for a second referendum? Is that why he keeps doing interviews saying he doesn't want one?

As for pulling the second referendum amendment, it was pulled because Labour still won't openly support it and whip for it. When they do, it will go ahead. Yet despite that support being promised at conference after an election attempt failed, he's refused to back it.

He's a liar and a hypocrite.

EwanI Ted

If you move the party’s political stance and create an atmosphere of intolerance to people who didn’t move with you, there’ll be a parting of the ways. That goes for members of that party and for voters. No one can really complain.

Adisa

Yeah, the people who have been banging on for them to leave don't have a leg to stand on but I can't see what leaving at this time can achieve.
It would have made sense if Labour had a bigger minority. Feck the whole thing tbh.

Smores

The position was a compromise that appeared to listen to the membership while giving the leadership lots of wiggle room. It's completely clear now that there isn't going to be a new election after his vote of no confidence failed, so where is Corbyn's support for a second referendum? Is that why he keeps doing interviews saying he doesn't want one?

As for pulling the second referendum amendment, it was pulled because Labour still won't openly support it and whip for it. When they do, it will go ahead. Yet despite that support being promised at conference after an election attempt failed, he's refused to back it.

He's a liar and a hypocrite.
Nonsense, they already admitted after they pulled it that it probably wouldn't pass anyway and that's clear to anyone following brexit proceedings.

There's too many in Labour against it and too few Tories willing to support it. I don't think you're aware of the landscape at all

Pestons reporting the People's Vote were furious at the timing of the split but Chukka pushed it, so they don't even have the backing of the largest remain body.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

In the short-term I hope they're unapologetically pro-EU and can shift the rest of Labour there. In the long-term I can't see how they'll achieve anything other than being unseated by a Tory candidate.

Last edited: