Film The Irishman | Martin Scorsese | 2019

Hoof the ball

A mob hitman recalls his possible involvement with the slaying of Jimmy Hoffa.

Cast :-

Robert De Niro
Al Pacino
Joe Pesci
Bobby Cannavale (This guy is fantastic. Played Gyp Rosetti in Boardwalk Empire and Mr. Robot, recently.)
Anna Paquin
Jesse Piemons
Ray Romano
Harvey Keitel
Jack Huston (also played a superb role as Richard Harrow on Boardwalk Empire)
Stephen Graham (see his amazing work as Al Capone on Boardwalk Empire)

SSSSnake

That's quite some cast! Right up my ally this. When will this be on Netflix?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Will be the hype job movie of the year. I really hope it delivers.

Hoof the ball

De Niro, Pacino, Pesci, Keittel... :drool:
Familiar with Cannavale at all? He's going to be a standout in this. He beat Peter Dinklage and Aaron Paul, respectively to get best supporting actor at the Emmy's in 2013.

Also, Stephen Graham. He's actually a scouser, but oddly enough does perhaps the best Capone I've ever seen. At least three of the cast for this movie have been picked directly due to their work in Boardwalk Empire.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Familiar with Cannavale at all? He's going to be a standout in this. He beat Peter Dinklage and Aaron Paul, respectively to get best supporting actor at the Emmy's in 2013.

Also, Stephen Graham. He's actually a scouser, but oddly enough does perhaps the best Capone I've ever seen. At least three of the cast for this movie have been picked directly due to their work in Boardwalk Empire.

Yeah I know him. Have seen him over a lot over the years but admittedly he was still very “small”/supporting in those roles.

None of the most recent things that he’s won awards for are series I watch, tbh. But yeah, great cast.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Always a bit meh of a new Scorsese movie these days but I'll keep my powder dry until the first batch of critical reviews though.

Hoof the ball

With a Tarantino and a Scorsese movie coming out in the same year, could we be potentially looking at another year like in 2007 where we got There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men?

clarkydaz

A mob hitman recalls his possible involvement with the slaying of Jimmy Hoffa.

Cast :-

Robert De Niro
Al Pacino
Joe Pesci
Bobby Cannavale (This guy is fantastic. Played Gyp Rosetti in Boardwalk Empire and Mr. Robot, recently.)
Anna Paquin
Jesse Piemons
Ray Romano
Harvey Keitel
Jack Huston (also played a superb role as Richard Harrow on Boardwalk Empire)
Stephen Graham (see his amazing work as Al Capone on Boardwalk Empire)

Pretty short film

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Not sure about the look of that de-aging in the trailer. Marvel films have pulled it off really well recently but that looked a bit fake.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Not sure about the look of that de-aging in the trailer. Marvel films have pulled it off really well recently but that looked a bit fake.
It’ll age (pardon the pun) really badly if we can already see it looks weird...which it does. Especially if it’s going to be a significant part of the film, which again, it looks like being.

It doesn’t look remotely like a younger De Niro. It looks like an old De Niro, just with a creepily smooth face...there’s been no attempt to account for the fact that people’s features get larger as they age, only an artificial skin ‘tightening’ which looks more like soft focus than ‘De-aging’.... which is a shame, cos it looks pretty good otherwise.

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Really looking forward to this. Recent mob movies have been underwhelming (Black Mass & The Iceman).

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The faces really don't look great in the trailer. 4 hours of looking at CGI'd faces of 3 really old guys could be a bit shit.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Guardian review is positive:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
But the reviewer is a fool and a loser.

If it aint Xan, Bradshaw or Shoard then it may as well have been written in the truck on it's way to the landfill.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
That CGi is going to look horrific in a few years time. They’ve smoothed the wrinkles, but haven’t accounted for the old man eye droppyness or nose and ear growth etc, so they all look like 70 year olds with weird skin grafts rather than genuinely “younger”... hopefully you just kind of forget about it after a while when actually watching.

I mean, this isn’t what De Niro looked like in his 30s... it’s what he looks like now, only smoother.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
That CGi is going to look horrific in a few years time. They’ve smoothed the wrinkles, but haven’t accounted for the old man eye droppyness or nose and ear growth etc, so they all look like 70 year olds with weird skin grafts rather than genuinely “younger”... hopefully you just kind of forget about it after a while when actually watching.

I mean, this isn’t what De Niro looked like in his 30s... it’s what he looks like now, only smoother.

Yeah it's a weird one. Even watching that trailer I was thinking how will I sit through nearly 4 hours of this, staring at a CGId 70 year old.

Surely the newest season of True Detective showed us that it's way easier to make a younger actor look old than vice versa. Maybe Scorsese was set on having De Niro, Pacino and Pesci, and to be fair I won't be complain about seeing any of those in a Scorsese film but it does seem like a big, expensive gamble.

AaronRedDevil

What movie is that pic from again? Seems familiar

Joking!

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've not watched as many many De Niro and Scoresese movies as I should have but going through both of their filmography, it's rather odd how many times they've worked together .I mean, what the feck is up with that?

arnie_ni

I've not watched as many many De Niro and Scoresese movies as I should have but going through both of their filmography, it's rather odd how many times they've worked together .I mean, what the feck is up with that?
He's also worked alot with DiCaprio.

He finds a good actor, and actor that sells movies, and goes back to them again and again. I imagine its not actually that rare if you dug into it