Film The Irishman | Martin Scorsese | 2019

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
No we thought it was ok from that standpoint, though I've struggled with previous mob films where the muscle in the room if often pretty interchangeable. Which characters confused your group?
We ended up making a joke of it so can't remember when we were being serious now. It probably didn't help that we were all a bit tired after a massive meal.

Weirdly, at the time I was thinking the film was a bit meh, but I'm looking back on it now a little more fondly.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
It didn't strike me as a classic by any means. The CGI was sadly distracting, it was very slow to get going and too long to maintain my interest (especially after you know what happened).

I suppose the strong point for me was seeing the flip side to that glamorised Mafia life but Goodfella's kind covered that too although not with as much depth as this where it was the sole thematic drive.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We ended up making a joke of it so can't remember when we were being serious now. It probably didn't help that we were all a bit tired after a massive meal.

Weirdly, at the time I was thinking the film was a bit meh, but I'm looking back on it now a little more fondly.
I had a few people over for a bit of a 'screening' and just remember smiling and laughing a lot. It was a real treat, pretty much everything I want from a film.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I had a few people over for a bit of a 'screening' and just remember smiling and laughing a lot. It was a real treat, pretty much everything I want from a film.
Yeah there were some quality moments, some of my favourites being the comical ones.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Aye, Stephen Graham is a brilliant actor. I read Scorsese specifically sought him out for the Al Capone role in Boardwalk Empire and also for this role. Not much higher praise you can get as an actor than that.

I'm actually watching back through Boardwalk Empire at the moment as my girlfriend has never seen it before. It really is fantastic and one of the best series I have seen.

Moby

Dick
I've already re-watched it twice, liked it more in every run. Anyone else liked the soundtrack as well? In the Still of the /night was obviously awesome, I also liked this orchestra bit:

Eric's Seagull

I've already re-watched it twice, liked it more in every run. Anyone else liked the soundtrack as well? In the Still of the /night was obviously awesome, I also liked this orchestra bit:

Think that has a tune has a nice vibe too it. I think that In the Still of the Night was amazing, although I hadn't heard it before. Think I might watch it again soon when I've got 3 and half hours spare to sit down. Already one of my all time favourite movies.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I haven't seen the film but, looking around the web, I swear that many people are actively trying to dislike it; and can't resist telling others how awful it is. It rings false, to be honest, and just reads like showing off.

Eric's Seagull

I haven't seen the film but, looking around the web, I swear that many people are actively trying to dislike it; and can't resist telling others how awful it is. It rings false, to be honest, and just reads like showing off.
Each to their own but I think it is a masterpiece and I think that most people who like the particular actors in it will find it thoroughly enjoyable as they all on top form. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Probably people who were pissed off at Marty's comments about Marvel?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
So the price he had to pay for a life of evil deeds was that his daughter who barely talked to him, stopped talking to him?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think the answer, as usual, is somewhere in the middle. An enjoyable, three and a half hour nostalgia trip with Scorsese and his favourite actors, but falls short of greatness, due to some issues like the run length, weaker first act, and the de-ageing.

Oo0AahCantona

I only noticed towards the end of the second act that there was so much comedy in it. I felt it was slightly too long, and struggled to hold me the whole time, but when it was good it was exceptional.

The youngest de niro CGI didnt work, it has to be said, It was really jarring. Had me in uncontrollable laughed on a few occasions most notably in the second "meeting" with Hoffa and the little man where he was asking for the apology. Hysterical.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
So the price he had to pay for a life of evil deeds was that his daughter who barely talked to him, stopped talking to him?
Tbf it was more his entire family that resented/abandoned him although it was only shown outside of that relationship with Anna Paquin in the scene where he visits one of his other daughters at home.

Another major criticism of the film is that the female characters are given very little to do and you can't really disagree with it. I feel like Scorsese wanted to focus on the De Niro / Pacino dynamic and his internal conflict with that but then left himself nothing to focus on in the final quarter so went back to the undercooked family stuff.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Tbf it was more his entire family that resented/abandoned him although it was only shown outside of that relationship with Anna Paquin in the scene where he visits one of his other daughters at home.

Another major criticism of the film is that the female characters are given very little to do and you can't really disagree with it. I feel like Scorsese wanted to focus on the De Niro / Pacino dynamic and his internal conflict with that but then left himself nothing to focus on in the final quarter so went back to the undercooked family stuff.
It was barely evidenced and he didn't strike me as a man who gave much of a shit about that. The scene where he leaves his first wife doesn't even include her and he's completely matter-of-fact about it.

Charlie Foley

Yeah. I get the same feeling with the Joker movie, though I’ve not seen either of them yet so I can’t really tell how merited criticism/praise of either is, it certainly does feel like people really want to be seen to have not liked one or the other. I guess that’s “in” these days.

Maybe my not having seen the movies stops me having a dog in the fight actually as I don’t care whether people like movies I’ve not seen (they’re not badmouthing a favourite of mine) but it really reads like showing off as you say.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I thought Pesci was pretty great, but even with all the magic Al Pacino just looked too old for someone who died when he was 60. And de Niro even more so. Even the youngest iteration of his character looked like he was at least 50, when the character was probably supposed to in his (late) 30s? And he always moved in the stiff way that betrayed his real age.

I think the movie was pretty enjoyable overall, but I find it hard to make out a point, some deeper meaning. It just fast forwards through some guys life and at the end of a three hour journey all we are left with is that his daughter hates him. Oddly enough not for casually maiming that grocery store guy in front of her or for divorcing her mother, but through some Sherlock like deduction from daddy not making a call soon enough.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Another major criticism of the film is that the female characters are given very little to do
Yeah the classic Scorsese movies have always had a strong leading lady - Cybill Shepherd, Cathy Moriarty, Lorraine Bracco, Sharon Stone, Cameron Diaz, Vera Farmiga, Margot Robbie. Just felt like an element missing from this story.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Think it's fan service to those who like those kind of films.

A good film mind.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Typical internet stuff these days. Like they think they're in the right and anyone saying otherwise is wrong.

There's some just criticism, but it's very far from awful.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think the movie was pretty enjoyable overall, but I find it hard to make out a point, some deeper meaning. It just fast forwards through some guys life and at the end of a three hour journey all we are left with is that his daughter hates him.
I felt this too. Like the story wasn't all that interesting, even though the guy lived a more interesting life than most. I guess that's part of the subtlety that makes it arty.

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Was really looking forward to it. It was not too bad, worth a watch, but its not one of Scorsese's best films.

If it wasn't a Scorsese movie, with all those stars I reckon it would get panned by the critics.

When's the new Avengers film out?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Was really looking forward to it. It was not too bad, worth a watch, but its not one of Scorsese's best films.

If it wasn't a Scorsese movie, with all those stars I reckon it would get panned by the critics.

When's the new Avengers film out?
:nono:

SteveJ

Scout
do.ob said:
I think the movie was pretty enjoyable overall, but I find it hard to make out a point, some deeper meaning. It just fast forwards through some guys life and at the end of a three hour journey all we are left with is that his daughter hates him
I felt this too. Like the story wasn't all that interesting, even though the guy lived a more interesting life than most. I guess that's part of the subtlety that makes it arty.
Apparently, the film pays reference to The Godfather series of movies quite often, so perhaps the following is relevant:

The Godfather trilogy ends with Michael Corleone dying alone and heartbroken, his obsession with 'family' all in vain. Maybe The Irishman's overriding theme is the same: crime does pay, but ultimately its reward is personally ruinous.

Tarrou

I enjoyed it but would've preferred it was a mini-series, or an hour shorter

the ageing made it all seem a bit tired to me, and i think it made it harder to feel immersed in the story/moment because of it

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Apparently, the film pays reference to The Godfather series of movies quite often, so perhaps the following is relevant:

The Godfather trilogy ends with Michael Corleone dying alone and heartbroken, his obsession with 'family' all in vain. Maybe The Irishman's overriding theme is the same: crime does pay, but ultimately its reward is personally ruinous.
That would make sense. The crux of it seems to be that he does what he does for his family, or kidding himself that he is, but is also being selfish and ultimately alienating them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Anybody else think it was... just alright?

Personally the plot / story itself seemed pretty boring, it didn't really seem to go anywhere or mean anything.

Without the all star cast it wouldn't be rated at all IMO. It's just a fixer getting asked to do a few jobs for a couple of his mob mates, then he tells a story on them.

The acting was fine and over all it was watchable, but it's not going to stand up as one of the greatest movies.

Honest John

Not as graphically violent as Goodfellows I thought. And the plot seemed a bit thin. I will need to watch again to get a better feel.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

But this process wasn't developed with any kind of finesse. We see a 30 second scene of him beating up that grocery store guy (why would he even take his daughter to that?), then another short scene where his daughter apparently reads his guilt (which to me seemed like a very convenient stretch) and that's it. His wife or mob associates didn't even turn on him. They just died from being old, something that happens to anyone - villain or saint - if they grow old enough.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Some transformation by Herc into Fat Tony Salerno:

Was just about to post that. Made me laugh as I recognised his voice and thought no way surely. :lol: Pretty insane

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
But this process wasn't developed with any kind of finesse. We see a 30 second scene of him beating up that grocery store guy (why would he even take his daughter to that?), then another short scene where his daughter apparently reads his guilt (which to me seemed like a very convenient stretch) and that's it. His wife or mob associates didn't even turn on him. They just died from being old, something that happens to anyone - villain or saint - if they grow old enough.
Na pretty much every scene with his daughter in it showed her observing and taking notice of everything. The store beating scene just confirmed to her what he was actually capable of. Him Popping out at all hours, ect. She was an intelligent kid who could've put 2&2 together.

Also how she wasn't keen on Joe Pesci's character but loved All Pacino showed she knew what was what. We just see the condensed version of her life on film and they can only portray so much without wandering from the storyline, but the reality is she lived that life for all her childhood and would've seen far more than the film could show.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Na pretty much every scene with his daughter in it showed her observing and taking notice of everything. The store beating scene just confirmed to her what he was actually capable of. Him Popping out at all hours, ect. She was an intelligent kid who could've put 2&2 together.

Also how she wasn't keen on Joe Pesci's character but loved All Pacino showed she knew what was what. We just see the condensed version of her life on film and they can only portray so much without wandering from the storyline, but the reality is she lived that life for all her childhood and would've seen far more than the film could show.
It's true that her disapproval of his ways was made more than clear, but if the moral of this 3 hour story is supposed to be that his daughter hates him, then I'd expect a bit more dialogue between them than "why didn't you call her???". To me it felt more like a "btw, his daughter doesn't like gangsters".

SteveJ

Scout
Reminds me of something I read about Aristotle Onassis's daughter. She rendered herself silent for long periods of time; her father's ignorant response was to buy her dolls dressed in designer clothing...

caid

I watched it, cant say it was a bad movie but i didn't enjoy it. I'm just bored of the genre and it has nothing new to say. Run time made it feel like a slog.