Gaming The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

Rooney1987

Thats a great reveal. Most impressive thing for me in the intro they said this was in game engine.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
"I can’t tell you how satisfying it is to finally be able to say that Ellie and Joel are back for another intense, harrowing, and emotional adventure. Like many of you, we have a deep love for the world of The Last of Us and its characters, and while a sequel may have seemed like a foregone conclusion, that wasn’t the case. We knew that it needed to be a story worth telling and, perhaps more importantly, a story worthy of Joel and Ellie. After spending years on different ideas (and almost giving up), we finally uncovered a story that felt special—a story that evolved into an epic journey."

It’s still early days for the project—the game’s release is a ways off—but we couldn’t wait any longer to give you a glimpse of what’s to come. We’re going to let the trailer (coming soon to this post) speak for itself, but expect more information about The Last of Us Part II in the coming months.

-Neil Druckmann
Looks like this wasn't always on. Must say, I'm surprised they're making a second one.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Personally I prefer the Uncharted series, neither game are particularly original in terms of story-line, they just look great and are fun - playable movies and that's no bad thing at all.

I respect your opinion but I still think it's overblown for what it is. However, I'm not going to bring my unwarranted cynicism into this thread about it where people really love the game.

I'll be buying and playing it myself after-all.
Didnt you just do that?. If you werent going to bring your unwarranted cynicism into the thread you wouldnt have said what you did.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I guess I'm the only one who's disappointing ND are making another third person action/adventure game.
Genuine question: What would genre of game would you have them do?

The Last Of Us is one of my favourite games of all time, one of the few new IPs I got hyped for pre release and didn't get disappointed in. Great news.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Genuine question: What would genre of game would you have them do?

The Last Of Us is one of my favourite games of all time, one of the few new IPs I got hyped for pre release and didn't get disappointed in. Great news.
Light hearted gameplay focused stuff (like Crash & Jak). They were damn good at that, too :)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
My mate borrowed my copy of the first one and never gave it back.

Omar Little

The greatest video game, of all time, gets a sequel? They have a lot to live up to. If anyone can pull it off, though...

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Awesome news, I'll be lining-up for this.

I'm surprised they've gone back to Joel and Ellie though. Where can they take the story from where it ended?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Great news. The first was an excellent game. Expecting this one to be very enjoyable and wel made as well. Just hope the story is strong since that was the usp of the first.

But I do think the original is slightly overrated. I dont consider it anywhere near the greatest game of all time. While its storytelling was a genuine landmark and possibly still the pinaccle of the medium, the gameplay was alright but nothing great. It's nowhere near a Witcher 3 or Deus Ex IMO. Still a brilliant game, though.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Didnt you just do that?. If you werent going to bring your unwarranted cynicism into the thread you wouldnt have said what you did.
I put my opinion across fairly and said my cynicism was unwarranted, I've seen how TLOU arguments go.

Ainu

I don't understand why we have people in here that need to tell other people it isn't the greatest video game of all time or that it's overrated. I honestly don't get it. For me, The Last of Us is the greatest character-driven video game of all time. This is what I really felt while playing it and I still feel that way looking back on it. I imagine many people are the same as me. Are we so wrong about our own experiences that we need other people to tell us what we should be thinking and feeling about it?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I don't understand why we have people in here that need to tell other people it isn't the greatest video game of all time or that it's overrated. I honestly don't get it. For me, The Last of Us is the greatest character-driven video game of all time. This is what I really felt while playing it and I still feel that way looking back on it. I imagine many people are the same as me. Are we so wrong about our own experiences that we need other people to tell us what we should be thinking and feeling about it?
It's a discussion board.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I should probably play the first one at some point. I fully expect @Cina (I think) to give me abuse for not doing so already.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You don't get why we people express different views here?

Hint: murof.

Stringer

I havent played the first one yet. Is it worth getting?
Yeah it's very good but still a bit overrated IMO. The gameplay was nothing special but the writing, voice acting and storytelling are about as good as it gets in video games.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I havent played the first one yet. Is it worth getting?
The game play is nothing special, but the storyline is believable, very emotional and you feel a connection to the characters. It's more like a film than a game IMO, which is why people feel so strongly for it.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's probably my favourite single player game of all time, which is funny because as a game its a fairly average, linear experience. It's more than a game though, it's an experience. Is this going to be on ps4? I'll have to buy one if it is.

Omar Little

I like it and everything, but no.
Well, if you want to break it down logically, it more than likely is.

When you consider what makes a video game great, it ticks every single box.

Gameplay: fantastic.

Game Mechanics: fantastic.

Storyline: easily the best.

Characters: at least top 5 in terms of how interesting and likeable they are.

Replay Value: again, at least top 5.

Graphics: On par with or better than everything else.

Add all those to the fact that it transcends genres, i.e. Action/adventure and survival horror and does it flawlessly and the fact that it's just perfectly executed, just the right amount of hard and long enough in game time to keep you immersed for quite some time. This leads me to wonder if there has ever been a game before, or since, that covers all those bases and excels at them, like TLOU does, the answer? No.

Also as subjective as it is, it's also been voted as the best video game ever, numerous times and for good reason.

fellaini's barber

I don't understand people's obsession with with pointing out that a game someone else thinks is his own best game ever is overrated and isn't their own best game ever. The game that you think is the best ever is probably shite and overrated to someone else so why bother?

Stringer

I don't understand people's obsession with with pointing out that a game someone else thinks is his own best game ever is overrated and isn't their own best game ever. The game that you think is the best ever is probably shite and overrated to someone else so why bother?
It's a discussion forum. People will voice their opinions and it's a bit strange that some people take it so bad. Is this forum populated by Naughty Dog employees or something?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Absolutely not my style of game, and nevertheless I enjoyed it so much. The appraisal is certainly warranted.

fellaini's barber

It's a discussion forum. People will voice their opinions and it's a bit strange that some people take it so bad. Is this forum populated by Naughty Dog employees or something?
More like populated by Microsoft employees

Why don't I get this urge to go into threads of games I seemingly 'don't like' to point out how overrated or shite it is though

Hal9000

It didn't need a sequel. It's one of my favourite games ever and I'm slightly annoyed they kept it going instead of doing something new
They are doing something new, they have two teams now at Naughty Dog. Uncharted is finished, they'll have The Last Of Us and whatever they do next.

Really didn't need to use Joel and Ellie.
There are surely other stories running in a post apocalyptic world.
New characters would have had less chance of being a disappointment .
Think Duckman said they went through many different stories and scripts focusing on different characters and nothing felt right, so thats why they went back to Ellie and Joel. This is also part of an over arching story rather than a sequel with a stand a lone story.

Bojan11

Naughty Dog are the most overrated developers. Expect a lot more walking around and doing nothing. Then people calling it amazing story experience. I want amazing gaming experience.

Naughty Dogs best game in recent time was Uncharted 2. That had the most action and less walking around rubbish. Games are supposed to be fun not a soap opera.

It's a traversty if people call the The last of us one of the best video games. The gameplay was average. They couldn't even get the stealth right.

It's like describing telltale games which you press a few button as great games. Now I enjoy them, but they not great games. A great games first requirement should to have great gameplay. Story should be secondary. Does the last of us or uncharted have great gameplay? Average at best with crap AI at times.

Naughty Dog are kings of drumming up hype. They are everything that is wrong with the industry at the moment. Overrated pompous directors and little focus on gameplay innovation. Seems everyone wants to be Spielberg in the gaming industry rather than Miyamoto.

Omar Little

Naughty Dog are the most overrated developers. Expect a lot more walking around and doing nothing. Then people calling it amazing story experience. I want amazing gaming experience.

Naughty Dogs best game in recent time was Uncharted 2. That had the most action and less walking around rubbish. Games are supposed to be fun not a soap opera.

It's a traversty if people call the The last of us one of the best video games. The gameplay was average. They couldn't even get the stealth right.

It's like describing telltale games which you press a few button as great games. Now I enjoy them, but they not great games. A great games first requirement should to have great gameplay. Story should be secondary. Does the last of us or uncharted have great gameplay? Average at best with crap AI at times.

Naughty Dog are kings of drumming up hype. They are everything that is wrong with the industry at the moment. Overrated pompous directors and little focus on gameplay innovation. Seems everyone wants to be Spielberg in the gaming industry rather than Miyamoto.
:lol:

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Naughty Dog are amazing. Their games are always consistently good with excellent story-telling & a focus on the single-player mode when most other games are all going the multi-player route. It's a matter of personal opinion, but I love how their games make you feel involved in the world they create & the characters.

I can't wait for TLoU 2. Will be another great game.