Gaming The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do you do that before you go see a movie too?
I don't really watch movies. I never had the intention to read the spoilers until I was told 70% of them.

Reading a review or some info I can understand, but reading spoilers? That's just silly in a story driven game.
There's research all over that suggests reading spoilers can enhance experience. It really is down to the person's way of enjoying something.

hobbers

And also that those who insisted their objections to the game had nothing to do with any agenda shouldn't then start pointing to that agenda when others praise the game.
But game reviews usually are agenda driven. The main agenda being that they're paid for. At least for a lot of major title releases.

The latest Cod and Fifa still get guaranteed 80+ aggregated scores on metacritic for feck sake :lol: . Game series that have been steadily declining in quality for at least the last 5 years.

A review from somewhere like IGN typically isn't even worth the time it takes to load the page.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
But game reviews usually are agenda driven. The main agenda being that they're paid for. At least for a lot of major title releases.

The latest Cod and Fifa still get guaranteed 80+ aggregated scores on metacritic for feck sake :lol: . Game series that have been steadily declining in quality for at least the last 5 years.

A review from somewhere like IGN typically isn't even worth the time it takes to load the page.
So you're saying it's about ethics in video game journalism?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't really watch movies. I never had the intention to read the spoilers until I was told 70% of them.

There's research all over that suggests reading spoilers can enhance experience. It really is down to the person's way of enjoying something.
Wow, I looked it up and you're right. Man, it would be liberating to never worry about spoilers anymore. Should look into that :nervous:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

No one ever paid me when I wrote for IGN, I really got shafted. Then again so did all my colleagues.

Though I suppose they dont give a feck about IGN benelux.

FIFA scores have steadily been declining too though and in its defense, it's still a fun game to play with friends if you ask me. And how do you explain the differing scores in different sports games. Do EA pay the reviewers less for some sports? And did 2k fkrget to pay entirely with NBA 2k20? That game got some serious flak.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Don't typically put much stock in these sorts of things, but just had a gander and it's currently sitting at a 96 on Metacritic.

Fully Fledged

The media are scared to death of losing their preview copy of games that they are not prepared to underrate new games.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
The media are scared to death of losing their preview copy of games that they are not prepared to underrate new games.
I've always thought this too, they slate a game and won't get freebies or developers sending them games again, So they give it a higher score than they would normally to keep the developer on side.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Here you go. An article here from a journalist who also read the leaks and thought he knew it all. Actually playing the game, he changed his opinion dramatically. He also talks about some of the false rumors/leaks. May give another perspective to people who are still not wanting to get the game but are open-minded. Obviously some aren't...

A quote:
The leaks made the story sound trite, uninspired, and misguided. “I knew it,” I thought. “They never should’ve made a sequel.” This was my mindset as I booted up “The Last of Us 2.” By the end of it, I had changed my mind. Despite my early and strict skepticism of the premise, I now believe the sequel to “The Last of Us” feels justified. It dives deeper into character motivation than ever before, and it’s at least as good as the first game
Please don't post the leaks here. I haven't read them, and many others haven't either. Just thought it was an interesting article from someone who had made up their mind before even playing the game, then had it changed.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I explained many times with regarding to the story, the problem is, you and Redlambs want to read an explanation that fits your personal agenda and don't accept anything else, so like I said, you are confused and that is fine. Feel free to think how I "hate lesbians" and leave it at that, because you obviously have a problem and can't see beyond that.
If you are going to bitch about me, at least tag me :lol:

And no, you haven't explained it you are flat out lying which anyone can see. You were the first and only person in this thread to talk about "agenda pushing" as a reason you won't play the game, and yet you still to this minute have failed to clarify what that means. People like you should 100% be asked to clarify and then called out on it when you clearly don't have an answer that isn't going to make you look like a massive prick. It's funny, because there's comments along the lines of "nobody could ever be like that on Redcafe!" but we all know certain people are on here and try to hide it rather than own it. Oh, and I've never once suggested what I think you mean by it, I've merely questioned you over and over. Then you know that, it's just another way to avoid the question.

But it's ok, soon enough we can all play it ourselves and see what "agendas" are being pushed that you are so against...in the meantime, feel free to go find a thread about a game you actually want to play and leave this one to those of us with open minds about it.

Last edited:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Since I have been obsessed about this game all day today, I found a reaction by someone who actually use accessibility setting in games online. His reaction after seeing the effort made by Naughty Dog has hit me hard.

To know about his condition you can watch the video below where he explains what he sees when he plays video games

Not sure how many other games have put so much effort to ensure people can enjoy the game with less discomfort as I have never paid any attention to these settings earlier. Credit to Naughty Dog to actually go the extra mile to support features which no one would have complained about even if it wasn't there.

evil_geko

If you are going to bitch about me, at least tag me :lol:

And no, you haven't explained it you are flat out lying which anyone can see. You were the first and only person in this thread to talk about "agenda pushing" as a reason you won't play the game, and yet you still to this minute have failed to clarify what that means. People like you should 100% be asked to clarify and then called out on it when you clearly don't have an answer that isn't going to make you look like a massive prick. It's funny, because there's comments along the lines of "nobody could ever be like that on Redcafe!" but we all know certain people are on here and try to hide it rather than own it. Oh, and I've never once suggested what I think you mean by it, I've merely questioned you over and over. Then you know that, it's just another way to avoid the question.

But it's ok, soon enough we can all play it ourselves and see what "agendas" are being pushed that you are so against...in the meantime, feel free to go find a thread about a game you actually want to play and leave this one to those of us with open minds about it.
Nope, I explained it a few times, you just choose to ignore it and continue your holy crusade, carry on.

And you see, I don't need to tag you, your crusade pulls you to the posts like magnet. ;)

It really is cute though how far you have gone in believing I actually am hiding something and am scared to "own it" or whatever. It is interesting to observe how you advance in stages of it.

Keep quoting that agenda post of mine, you might even find something more there in time, you never know.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Nope, I explained it a few times, you just choose to ignore it and continue your holy crusade, carry on.

And you see, I don't need to tag you, your crusade pulls you to the posts like magnet. ;)

It really is cute though how far you have gone in believing I actually am hiding something and am scared to "own it" or whatever. It is interesting to observe how you advance in stages of it.

Keep quoting that agenda post of mine, you might even find something more there in time, you never know.
And round and round we go. No answer just "I've already explained it!" when everyone can see you haven't. It takes a few minutes to go over your posts since that comment, you are aware how easy it is right? Not a single answer to anyone who's asked.

Meh, you are boring me now. I guess that's how people like you ultimately win in the end and why others shy away from asking the questions they really should be of posts like yours. But hey, it's not the first time on this forum you've been called out on problematic views.

But again, why are you even in here if you have no interest in playing a game that pushing so many agendas you are against? Go fawn over a nice, safe game where you won't be offended by anything (story or "agendas") and leave the rest of us to actually play the game and talk about it on it's merits.

evil_geko

And round and round we go. No answer just "I've already explained it!" when everyone can see you haven't. It takes a few minutes to go over your posts since that comment, you are aware how easy it is right? Not a single answer to anyone who's asked.

Meh, you are boring me now. I guess that's how people like you ultimately win in the end and why others shy away from asking the questions they really should be of posts like yours. But hey, it's not the first time on this forum you've been called out on problematic views.

But again, why are you even in here if you have no interest in playing a game that pushing so many agendas you are against? Go fawn over a nice, safe game where you won't be offended by anything (story or "agendas") and leave the rest of us to actually play the game and talk about it on it's merits.
I didn't answer anyone separately because the answers are in general posts, I won't start answering everyone post by post only to satisfy your fantasies.

Oh I am far from fawning, only one who fawns here is you whenever you see me posting in here. An interesting phenomena indeed.

I am here because Pigeon lad quoted me while saying how I hate lesbians for some reason. And also there are some people here with objective thoughts about the game seeing the real problems and not just shouting SJW for anything remotely negative said about his game.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Based on the final trailer seems less zombies more bad guys in the story? Or will it be quite balanced like the last one?

Irwin99

It wouldn't surprise me if TLoU2 stays at 96 but probably gets a user review average of 6 or 7. Half of the low scores will be done by weirdo incels but others will probably be annoyed by the direction the game has gone in.

People get too hung up on game scores although I guess it's a nice little snapshot of the general feeling about the game at that time. Looking at the games that are on top of the metacritic PS4 list I disagree with a lot of the scores but that's just my opinion. MGS V, whilst being a really good game gameplay wise, is still a bit of a mess, GTA V is alright/fun but a score of 97 is way too high imo, GoW is a tiny bit overrated too.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It wouldn't surprise me if TLoU2 stays at 96 but probably gets a user review average of 6 or 7. Half of the low scores will be done by weirdo incels but others will probably be annoyed by the direction the game has gone in.

People get too hung up on game scores although I guess it's a nice little snapshot of the general feeling about the game at that time. Looking at the games that are on top of the metacritic PS4 list I disagree with a lot of the scores but that's just my opinion. MGS V, whilst being a really good game gameplay wise, is still a bit of a mess, GTA V is alright/fun but a score of 97 is way too high imo, GoW is a tiny bit overrated too.
I have this with Persona 5. Sure, Im not big on Japanese high school fantasies, but what about it is so fecking good?

Redlambs

I didn't answer anyone separately because the answers are in general posts, I won't start answering everyone post by post only to satisfy your fantasies.

Oh I am far from fawning, only one who fawns here is you whenever you see me posting in here. An interesting phenomena indeed.

I am here because Pigeon lad quoted me while saying how I hate lesbians for some reason. And also there are some people here with objective thoughts about the game seeing the real problems and not just shouting SJW for anything remotely negative said about his game.
And that has what to do with me? That others are calling you things? Because once again, the only person talking agendas and sjw shite is you. I've never called you any of that I merely asked you to clarify over and over.

The fact you won't answer a straight question with a straight answer is on you.

And for the last time, what are you even doing in here if it's just about the story? If you really don't want to play the game based on that, let's just say you misspoke with the agenda stuff, and you can move on. Best thing all round, no?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I have this with Persona 5. Sure, Im not big on Japanese high school fantasies, but what about it is so fecking good?
I've never encountered a more annoying character in 20+ years of gaming than the fecking cat in that. I had to stop playing the game because of it.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'm extremely big on jrpgs. Persona 5 is nothing special within the genre. Just popular.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I saw a review that put the quality of some landscapes on par with RDR2: that is a high bar. I’m still not buying it, but that is largely because I’m unemployed so paying full price for a game is not on my ‘agenda‘.

Redlambs

I've never encountered a more annoying character in 20+ years of gaming than the fecking cat in that. I had to stop playing the game because of it.
Ugh the way it always said "lady arn!"

I loved the game for it's style and I'm a fan of the others, but it's not a particularly standout example of the Jrpg genre in any particular areas.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm extremely big on jrpgs. Persona 5 is nothing special within the genre. Just popular.
Yeah same, I played tonnes of weird jrpgs that received little attention or acclaim that I enjoyed a lot more. I do see the appeal if you're into anime I guess. I just like characters with more shades of gray instead of the trope characters in Persona. Especially the Cartoonesque zero redeeming qualities antagonists.

Shark

@NotShark
Wow, just seen the reviews on Metacritic there and noticed some are calling it possibly the best game of all time. I hold Naughty Dog up to a very high standard and not really surprised but honestly was a bit nervous over this one. Glad it seems to be another masterpiece like the first one.

SuperiorXI

Wow, just seen the reviews on Metacritic there and noticed some are calling it possibly the best game of all time. I hold Naughty Dog up to a very high standard and not really surprised but honestly was a bit nervous over this one. Glad it seems to be another masterpiece like the first one.
It gets thrown around so much these days, your best bet is to wait a year or so after it has been released, and the masses get the chance to play it. For it to be the best it has to be the best for the majority!

Balljy

What did you mean when you said the game was "pushing agendas"?

The game seems to be getting fantastic reviews btw, which is good.

Last edited:

Shark

@NotShark
It gets thrown around so much these days, your best bet is to wait a year or so after it has been released, and the masses get the chance to play it. For it to be the best it has to be the best for the majority!
That's true, gets thrown around way too much. I don't doubt this will be remastered on the PS5 and as someone that still owns the base PS4 and a PC with higher specs I'm considering waiting. Just for the all round better FPS and visuals.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I remember RDR2 getting similar plaudits. The true test of a game is time and already time has been unkind to RDR2.

Shark

@NotShark
I remember RDR2 getting similar plaudits. The true test of a game is time and already time has been unkind to RDR2.
RDR2 is great and all that but I never see myself revisiting it. I've revisited TW3 more than once(probably by top three games of all time)
and also the original Last Of Us so I consider them real masterpieces. RDR2 felt like a chore to finish, I remember one of the final acts feeling completely out of place with the story also.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
RDR2 is great and all that but I never see myself revisiting it. I've revisited TW3 more than once(probably by top three games of all time)
and also the original Last Of Us so I consider them real masterpieces. RDR2 felt like a chore to finish, I remember one of the final acts feeling completely out of place with the story also.
A lot of the story feels like that. It's all about getting money to get away but Dutch, mate, I have about $8000 here from selling pelts and catching bounties.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

1) tag people next time you oaf
2) nah, I actually quite clearly stated since you REFUSE TO EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEANT I was going to come to my own conclusion. My fecking dog has better reading comprehension than you do.
3) yes, there are plenty of folk with genuine story related reasons why they dislike the game. You're the one who doesn't. You're hiding behind it and you realised "shit, I've dobbed myself in" and that's why you keep avoiding the question.
4) we're still "all here" because you started going on about agendas in this game.
5) your response will be to distract, divert and accuse so what's the point of this anymore. Pah.

evil_geko

1) tag people next time you oaf
2) nah, I actually quite clearly stated since you REFUSE TO EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEANT I was going to come to my own conclusion. My fecking dog has better reading comprehension than you do.
So you have nothing better to post beside insults, I am done with you then, blocked, cheers.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
:lol: so to clarify this entire fiasco.

@evil_geko - a poster known for a long time to hold shady views - says that this game is pushing an agenda. He then gets asked by multiple people what he meant by that and his first response after posting that shite is "I've already explained it", which he's repeated time and again without actually explaining anything. Then he tried to tie his flag to the mast of the people with genuine criticisms of the game to little avail. Now he still won't answer, distracts, diverts and accuses. Now he's thrown his toys out of the pram and trying to play the victim. Bore off.

He either feeds off infamy or he genuinely can't give an explanation why he said such taxi driving small talk pish.

Bojan11

This reminds me of the days of cider and waste
It ain’t even close.

@evil_geko

As you can’t see
a poster known for a long time to hold shady views - says that this game is pushing an agenda. He then gets asked by multiple people what he meant by that and his first response after posting that shite is "I've already explained it", which he's repeated time and again without actually explaining anything. Then he tried to tie his flag to the mast of the people with genuine criticisms of the game to little avail. Now he still won't answer, distracts, diverts and accuses. Now he's thrown his toys out of the pram and trying to play the victim. Bore off.

He either feeds off infamy or he genuinely can't give an explanation why he said such taxi driving small talk pish.

Just explain what you meant pal and let’s be done with it. Also I am looking for a PlayStation fan to pit against my Xbox associate, project sparks very own @Alock1. Are you interested?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I’m going to dislike the story but I’m probably going to enjoy the world that ND created. I explored the shit out of TLOU, read every letter, pamphlet, posters on the walls etc..walked about the museum and just looked at stuff. Really did a lot exploring for a linear level game so I’m sure this is going to be even better. The story isn’t my cup of tea — I just don’t agree which the direction and nothing will change my mind but I’m sure I’ll enjoy the wider aspects of this game just as I did with the first one.

justboy68

A little part of me wanted this game to be shit just because I no longer have a ps4 :lol:.

Happy to see it has lived up to its predecessor though. I've steered well clear of all the spoilers and controversy, hopefully one day they might bring it to PC.