Gaming The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

b82REZ

Reddit thread that has collated all known reviews.

Its reviewing really well so far with the odd exception.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Also, what kind of games did you used to enjoy Pogue? For people who prioritise gameplay much more than story, not sure this is the perfect game if you dont indulge often.
I really enjoyed the other Lazy Dog one. With the Indiana Jones type character (can’t remember the name) Although I tried playing one of the most recent sequels and found it all a bit too stressful!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I really enjoyed the other Lazy Dog one. With the Indiana Jones type character (can’t remember the name) Although I tried playing one of the most recent sequels and found it all a bit too stressful!
:lol:

Morpheus 7

It be good to look forward to the game without tubes chatting about spoilers, that goes for this thread too.
People should check out the what cultures review on YouTube, it was the approval for this particular game I was looking for. TLOU is my favourite game, I can't wait to next to play it. Just don't want to hear the agendas of either side anymore at this point.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
ACG won't review till game is out I guess because 2nd Act of game is not allowed to be revealed in any form. It's bit weird restriction from Sony.

Trending 96 on Metacritic right now.

Also this guy was quite vocal when leaks came out about how he isn't going to play and all. Seems to have completely changed his tune after playing.

Also IGN review is by Jonathon who is few of the decent one that IGN has.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol:

That's Uncharted and if you found that stressful, I think Dark Souls might be more your cup of tea.

evil_geko

For those interested. It seems like they aren't touching big spoilers or leaks.
He isn't as negative as the image implies from what I've heard in 7 minutes.
Good review.

He compared how the story was treated with new Star Wars trilogy and GoT Season 8. Ouch.

Naughty Dog doing the good old "subverting expectations" right from the Benioff and Weiss guide book.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm sure those who insisted their objections were to the story rather than any anti-SJW agenda will now reflect on why their hastily formed opinion of a game they hadn't actually played was so out of touch with critical consensus, perhaps pondering the wisdom of judging a story without actually having played through that story.

And they certainly won't say the good reviews are just a reflection of the "agenda" they so strenuously claimed not to care about. Peace and good will to all, I'm sure.
Ridiculous that a person simply can't like it. No, they must not like it for secret hate-fueled reasons that they are hiding.

Grow up.
ACG won't review till game is out I guess because 2nd Act of game is not allowed to be revealed in any form. It's bit weird restriction from Sony.
I wonder why.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Isn't the second act what people have been complaining about?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
These misogonystic homophobic people hate this game for this?

- no, actually...

NO SPOILERS

I get a weird bit of fun from not caring about games like this and looking at how silly I would act if it was about jrpgs. :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ridiculous that a person simply can't like it. No, they must not like it for secret hate-fueled reasons that they are hiding.

Grow up.

I wonder why.
Who said they can't like it?

All I said was that given some people seemed happy to pre-judge a story they hadn't actually played through as being trash, the subsequent acclaim for the game might prompt them to wonder if asessing the quality of a game without having either played it or read a single review of it is such a good idea.

And also that those who insisted their objections to the game had nothing to do with any agenda shouldn't then start pointing to that agenda when others praise the game.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Wait, so the whole gaming world is mad, because
the girl is lesbian?
Gamers are such nerds :lol:
No, they're mad because of story stuff or in @evil_geko case because
one of the new characters is gender fluid

I'm just making assumptions now since gecko still hasn't explained what the feck he meant by "agendas" and just tries to deflect whenever someone asks him, and that's the biggest gripe I've seen online.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I'm just making assumptions now since gecko still hasn't explained what the feck he meant by "agendas" and just tries to deflect whenever someone asks him, and that's the biggest gripe I've seen online.
Ah they went there even? That's awesome. If I were a developer I would make a fighting game with as much diversity as is humanly possible just to see the internet melt down.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Grow up.

I wonder why.
Footage is not allowed and since the game story is one of its selling point, it's not that hard to understand why. I think that they should have sent review copy much closer to release date without that restriction.

Also I did link the youtube review of the guy who hated after reading "leaks" and you can listen to his views after playing the game. He isn't the best around but I found it relevant because of the leaks.

AaronRedDevil

These misogonystic homophobic people hate this game for this?

- no, actually...

NO SPOILERS

I get a weird bit of fun from not caring about games like this and looking at how silly I would act if it was about jrpgs. :lol:
I haven't seen a single comment on here or anywhere hating the game over its sexuality. Mostly just story purposes

evil_geko

Keep making assumptions while I argue the actual problems of the game, I see you have fantasies about me hating on lesbians, good for you. Keep on that.

evil_geko

I haven't seen a single comment on here or anywhere hating the game over its sexuality. Mostly just story purposes
People like @Mr Pigeon like their fantasies. I should report him for making hate assumptions about me where I had none but I'll let it slide, he is just confused.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
While it's perfectly legitimate to not like the game based on its merits, most of the outrage was due to disliking 'ideology' and 'direction' of the game.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I've seen people think it is why. My comment was supposed to reflect the sillyness of asking people to elaborate on why it's hated without going into the spoilers that made them hate it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ah they went there even? That's awesome. If I were a developer I would make a fighting game with as much diversity as is humanly possible just to see the internet melt down.
:lol: Same. It’s hilarious the way gamers/sci fi/fantasy fans are so unbelievably sensitive about this sort of thing. At this stage you’d start to wonder if they’re being deliberately trolled. I’m sure the marketing departments are well aware that the furore this sort of thing kicks off will get their product talked about more than it would otherwise.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I've seen people think it is why. My comment was supposed to reflect the sillyness of asking people to elaborate on why it's hated without going into the spoilers that made them hate it.
Yep, it’s best left alone now. Once everyone plays the game we can have a proper discussion but I can guarantee it won’t be over LGBTQ or any identity politics — at least not on this forum.

SuperiorXI

Definitely going to play this, managed to avoid spoilers.

Those who are upset about the story: why would you read story spoilers before buying the game? Pretty dumb. I'll make my own conclusions after finishing it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Tbf Twitter and Reddit were rife with it. But the more I think about it the more I realise I was looking at the cesspit of the internet.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
People like @Mr Pigeon like their fantasies. I should report him for making hate assumptions about me where I had none but I'll let it slide, he is just confused.
Report me. Do it. You've been asked repeatedly to clarify what you meant about this game pushing agendas by multiple users and every single time you either ignore the question or deflect like you are right now.

Bojan11

The best reviewers are edge. Their scoring system is bang on. Followed by eurogamer.

IGN, gamespot and co can be dodgy at times. IGN review of saints row 3 remake was a joke. Spent half the review moaning about it being 30fps only. When in the menu there is a option to unlock the FPS. He then writes a update blaming the developers for not telling him.

evil_geko

Report me. Do it. You've been asked repeatedly to clarify what you meant about this game pushing agendas by multiple users and every single time you either ignore the question or deflect like you are right now.
Like I said before, I wont, you are just confused.

Bojan11

I will report you for pushing your agendas. Trying to get all your pigeon buddies to take over, whilst we fight with each other. I see you pigeon.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I will report you for pushing your agendas. Trying to get all your pigeon buddies to take over, whilst we fight with each other. I see you pigeon.
Shite, you've figured out my ploy. You can join us if you want? We'll even give you an honourary pair of wings.
Like I said before, I wont, you are just confused.
Then don't threaten to report people since that in itself is an actionable offence.

And, again, you're trying to deflect. The only thing that's confusing is your attempts to ingratiate yourself with the more moderate critics to cover your issues with "agenda pushing" in this game. You've given nobody any reason to think otherwise since you won't answer the question.

Once again, it's really simple, you said this game was "pushing agendas" and have been asked repeatedly what you meant by that. Are you or are you not willing to explain what you meant by that? Seriously, just give an answer. "Yes I will explain what I meant; *explanation*" or "No". Either one is fine but ffs if you can't even give a straight response to a straight question then what planet are you living on.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
While it's perfectly legitimate to not like the game based on its merits, most of the outrage was due to disliking 'ideology' and 'direction' of the game.
Yes but the person I was replying to specifically seemed to single out people who mentioned not liking the story as a cover for not liking it for other reasons. It's nonsense.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yes but the person I was replying to specifically seemed to single out people who mentioned not liking the story as a cover for not liking it for other reasons. It's nonsense.
He was specifically replying to the person who posted this tbf;

After reading the spoilers, leaker actually saved me some money, cheers, I am skipping this, not going to be even close to the quality of the original. Plus all the agenda pushing in it...bloody hell.
As far as I can tell he's the only one singled out for it because we're x-weeks on from him bringing it up yet he still can't explain what he meant.

We're slowly descending to the point where people will forget where this whole mess on this particular thread started, but Pepperidge Farm Remembers.

Anyway, I'm done. I've asked him one last time to clarify his comments. Others will continue to ask him and get no answer either but if he had an answer he would've given it by now.

Chairman Steve

I’m not that interested in this game primarily because it looks the same as it’s original, barring obviously better graphics. The gameplay in the original is competent... There were games that played like it before and many after. It wasnt a technological step forward like Half Life 2 with its physics engine or a gameplay step forward like Resident Evil 4 with over-the-shoulder.... TLOU2 provides neither technological or gameplay innovations as far as I can tell. It looks like they just refined the original game. The strength of TLOU1 is it’s story and world building, and it has enough competently made gameplay in it to avoid being tagged an interactive movie or a walking simulator (I’m personally not a fan of those but I can see why people like them).

Maybe it’s just my preference but I don’t like my sequels to be very samey to their originals or predecessor. By that I mean don’t necessarily change the whole game around from the original but have some elements and feel to it like the original or a predecessor. This is what FromSoft do on their recent games. Demons Souls DNA makes it way into Dark Souls, which then goes to Bloodborne and then Sekiro and more than likely into Elden Ring... but they all feel different to each other (maybe not so much Demons Souls to Dark Souls)

I‘m pretty indifferent to political stuff making it into games, but as long it isn’t so on the nose to the point it breaks the immersion of playing a game, or is too preachy or the game is taking itself way too seriously. It usually brings out a cringe in me or an eyeroll and a ‘whatever’... I’m sensing that the sequel is being on the nose in terms of political stance?

evil_geko

Shite, you've figured out my ploy. You can join us if you want? We'll even give you an honourary pair of wings.

Then don't threaten to report people since that in itself is an actionable offence.

And, again, you're trying to deflect. The only thing that's confusing is your attempts to ingratiate yourself with the more moderate critics to cover your issues with "agenda pushing" in this game. You've given nobody any reason to think otherwise since you won't answer the question.

Once again, it's really simple, you said this game was "pushing agendas" and have been asked repeatedly what you meant by that. Are you or are you not willing to explain what you meant by that? Seriously, just give an answer. "Yes I will explain what I meant; *explanation*" or "No". Either one is fine but ffs if you can't even give a straight response to a straight question then what planet are you living on.
I explained many times with regarding to the story, the problem is, you and Redlambs want to read an explanation that fits your personal agenda and don't accept anything else, so like I said, you are confused and that is fine. Feel free to think how I "hate lesbians" and leave it at that, because you obviously have a problem and can't see beyond that.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Definitely going to play this, managed to avoid spoilers.

Those who are upset about the story: why would you read story spoilers before buying the game? Pretty dumb. I'll make my own conclusions after finishing it.
Usually because people decide if its buying? Don't want to spend £50 on a game and hate it. Spoilers can enhance the want to buy it too. I read them after a work colleague accidentally revealed it to me. I don't overly like the story from what I've read and I'm not too thrilled about part 2.

SuperiorXI

Usually because people decide if its buying? Don't want to spend £50 on a game and hate it. Spoilers can enhance the want to buy it too. I read them after a work colleague accidentally revealed it to me. I don't overly like the story from what I've read and I'm not too thrilled about part 2.
Do you do that before you go see a movie too?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Reading a review or some info I can understand, but reading spoilers? That's just silly in a story driven game.