Gaming The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But game reviews usually are agenda driven. The main agenda being that they're paid for. At least for a lot of major title releases.

The latest Cod and Fifa still get guaranteed 80+ aggregated scores on metacritic for feck sake :lol: . Game series that have been steadily declining in quality for at least the last 5 years.

A review from somewhere like IGN typically isn't even worth the time it takes to load the page.
It's not just IGN. It's got near universal acclaim given the metacritic score.

Irwin99

I remember RDR2 getting similar plaudits. The true test of a game is time and already time has been unkind to RDR2.
Never played RDR2 but MGS 4 and 5 also illustrate your point. Their points scores at the time I don’t think represent their quality now whereas MGS 1-3 are still timeless classics.

amolbhatia50k

I remember RDR2 getting similar plaudits. The true test of a game is time and already time has been unkind to RDR2.
I don't think RDD2 is an all time great game. But it is an excellent one, and usually scores like it and TLOU guarantee at least that (unless it's just not for you).

amolbhatia50k

Another example is Witcher 3 whose impact on gaming and gamers far exceeds it's critical scores. It's widely believed to be one of the greatest ever and genuinely so. But it's not got scores like some other games, I don't think.

There's definitely cases like that. But there's a margin. Generally a game with incredible scores is pretty darn good

b82REZ

I didn't answer anyone separately because the answers are in general posts, I won't start answering everyone post by post only to satisfy your fantasies.

Oh I am far from fawning, only one who fawns here is you whenever you see me posting in here. An interesting phenomena indeed.

I am here because Pigeon lad quoted me while saying how I hate lesbians for some reason. And also there are some people here with objective thoughts about the game seeing the real problems and not just shouting SJW for anything remotely negative said about his game.
You've never answered the question.

Its pretty obvious what you meant by "pushing agendas" and you don't even have the balls to admit your bigoted views.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Ah balls, I thought it was out already and prepared to purchase it today for a nice binge.

Weak.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Locked 1080p @ 30fps on base and 1440p @ 30fps on pro. Stable performances on both consoles with minor dips on Pro.

Last edited:

evil_geko

You've never answered the question.

Its pretty obvious what you meant by "pushing agendas" and you don't even have the balls to admit your bigoted views.
Yes, I am a bigot for hating a horrible story direction and disrespectful handling of the characters. I think you should revisit a dictionary to take care of your ignorance before caring about my balls.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yes, I am a bigot for hating a horrible story direction and disrespectful handling of the characters. I think you should revisit a dictionary to take care of your ignorance before caring about my balls.
Yes we get you don't care for the story or what apparently happens to the characters. But exactly how does that explain the
agenda pushing
?

Because you quite clearly said there were agendas being pushed, obviously that's through the story and these characters that you didn't like, but still have yet to provide a single example of even one of these agendas. Maybe you should stop squirming around the question (or actually understand it before you call others ignorant, which BTW is worse than @Mr Pigeon calling you an oaf getting you all offended :lol:) and either tell us the agendas you are against, or maybe just leave the thread and let us get back to the game?

Because as I said before, soon enough we are all going to know the story and see these
for ourselves and what you could actually mean. Though, of course that will be guesswork too as I'm betting most of us won't see what you apparently have as a problem...

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Locked 1080p @ 30fps on base and 1440p @ 30fps on pro. Stable performances on both consoles with minor dips on Pro.
It's running on 2013 hardware. You can have all the issues that you have with Naughty Dog but they sure do know how to make video game.

Hopefully their next IP is sci fi on Mass Effect scale.

Bobski

It's running on 2013 hardware. You can have all the issues that you have with Naughty Dog but they sure do know how to make video game.

Hopefully their next IP is sci fi on Mass Effect scale.
That idea arouses me more than I am comfortable admitting. Want it now.

All the hype and controversy was all just noise. You have to look at this history of their team, they have consistently produced quality work with relatable characters and solid gameplay. Beyond agenda discussion I would suggest a major reason why there has been so much consumer uncertainty over this sequel is based in fear of the experience of the first being diminished somehow. That journey Joel and Ellie had resonated so strongly with so many people.

Cole9

That idea arouses me more than I am comfortable admitting. Want it now.

All the hype and controversy was all just noise. You have to look at this history of their team, they have consistently produced quality work with relatable characters and solid gameplay. Beyond agenda discussion I would suggest a major reason why there has been so much consumer uncertainty over this sequel is based in fear of the experience of the first being diminished somehow. That journey Joel and Ellie had resonated so strongly with so many people.
This is my dilemma with the sequel and whether to buy it or not. The first game is one of my all time favourites and I don't think it needed a sequel. In fact, I probably would've preferred a sequel with new characters instead of continuing Joel and Ellie's story.

I haven't seen any of the spoilers but based on the trailers I've seen, I'm not sure if I'll enjoy the sequel or not. The story all looks a bit grim and judging from what the reviewers say, it's almost twice as long as the first game, coming in at 25-30 hours this time.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards not buying it.

Ainu

I think I've read a fecking spoiler by a complete asshole in a comment under an article about the PS5 reveal on Eurogamer. I just can't believe this shit. I try my best to avoid all Last of Us 2 related spoilers and I run into it on a completely unrelated comment section. It realized too late what I was reading. There's a special place in hell for people like this. I just can't understand why anyone would behave like this. What sort of twisted satisfaction do they get out of it?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
A few days later and agendagate rumbles on. For the love of God, @evil_geko just lay it to rest and explain it. Then we can all just concentrate on the game without the vague whiff of bigotry hanging over us.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
One more day, and it just coincides with my 2 weeks off too. I'm ready for some Lesbian action!

:nervous: that came out wrong.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
What a weekend it's going to be.

Finally moving back to London on Thursday after being stuck in Wales during lockdown, Last of Us 2 at midnight, and then football from Friday :drool:

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Pre-download complete. Spoilers dodged, footballs back today, what can go wrong in this year of shit going wrong :nervous:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Was a bit difficult downloading it. It kept just showing me the countdown and no option to download.

You need to go to PS Store > Library and then find it and click download for anyone also struggling.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Pre-download complete. Spoilers dodged, footballs back today, what can go wrong in this year of shit going wrong :nervous:
Your PS4 will brick 15 minutes into the game and then Utd will lose to Spurs on Friday, Rashford breaks his leg in the game. Two game rounds are played, enough for Liverpool to win the league and then half the squads catch coronavirus and the football goes away again.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Your PS4 will brick 15 minutes into the game and then Utd will lose to Spurs on Friday, Rashford breaks his leg in the game. Two game rounds are played, enough for Liverpool to win the league and then half the squads catch coronavirus and the football goes away again.
Well, every silver lining n all that. ;)

I'm thinking something like a large meteor impact or the caldera under Yellowstone erupting.

amolbhatia50k

I still can't get over the stark difference between the overwhelming rage and negativity before launch and now the incredible review scores at launch. Been rather bizarre.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
God I hope there's not massive queue's into Smyth's on Friday morning. It'll probably take about 2 hours for my poor 6 year old PS4 to install the thing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I still can't get over the stark difference between the overwhelming rage and negativity before launch and now the incredible review scores at launch. Been rather bizarre.
It's almost like people shouldn't judge things based on rumours.

evil_geko

It's not bizarre, complaining and negativity is from the fan base and players, incredible scores are from the gaming press. Nothing changed. If we see same incredible scores from the players, than it would be bizarre.
Numbered scores in general are shit way to judge something, there are tons of people complaining about 100 scores as they say no game, or media for that matter, is and will be perfect, which they are right. But 100 doesn't have to mean perfect.
Skill Up, the dude who mentioned negatives and positives about the game without giving it numbered score is the best way to review it. And he got shit from tons of people how dare he not like things in this "perfect" game. And praise from the other side for being "the only realistic reviewer". You get shit on either way.
It was like Final Fantasy 7 remake, if someone gave that game less than 9.5, they would get tons of hate and dislikes.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
It's not bizarre, complaining and negativity is from the fan base and players, incredible scores are from the gaming press. Nothing changed. If we see same incredible scores from the players, than it would be bizarre.
Numbered scores in general are shit way to judge something, there are tons of people complaining about 100 scores as they say no game, or media for that matter, is and will be perfect, which they are right. But 100 doesn't have to mean perfect.
Skill Up, the dude who mentioned negatives and positives about the game without giving it numbered score is the best way to review it. And he got shit from tons of people how dare he not like things in this "perfect" game. And praise from the other side for being "the only realistic reviewer". You get shit on either way.
It was like Final Fantasy 7 remake, if someone gave that game less than 9.5, they would get tons of hate and dislikes.
Skill Up hated the first one also. So it wasn't a suprise he will hate the second one too.

Actually a lot of hate was towards people who rated it higher. Those people had already decided that game is bad and then used Skillup review to claim how every other reviewer were paid. Infact things got so bad that Skillup had to tweet saying that people should not use his video as some sort of proof that positive reviews are paid ones. Hatred is mostly down to few story elements ( which again based on out of context leaks) and that one of the character is gender fluid and some are unhappy with lead character as lesbian.

Bosws87

The swansong of the PS4.

Personally can't wait Naughty Dog are near untouchable in my books, there storytelling and animation is unmatched no one is even close, studios like this are the reason i would always choose PlayStation over Xbox no matter the slight differences in specs.

As primarily a PC gamer its a shame they are Sony owned, i would love to see what they would be capable of on max spec hardware!

evil_geko

Hatred is mostly down to few story elements ( which again based on out of context leaks) and that one of the character is gender fluid and some are unhappy with lead character as lesbian.
It wasn't out of context though, most of the story points that were leaked are true, and I hate it even more after I saw the ending now. Kudos to those who like it, for me they just should have gone with some new characters in the same universe with some cameos and avoid this shit.
It's not even close to the first one, story and character wise.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Wife's birthday present bought, blinds for the kids' rooms and new bedding ordered. She's now given me permission to buy the game for myself, which is nice of her. Even after I made an ill advised scissors joke.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The swansong of the PS4.

Personally can't wait Naughty Dog are near untouchable in my books, there storytelling and animation is unmatched no one is even close, studios like this are the reason i would always choose PlayStation over Xbox no matter the slight differences in specs.

As primarily a PC gamer its a shame they are Sony owned, i would love to see what they would be capable of on max spec hardware!
Ghost of Tsushima is really the swansong. Last huge exclusive. What an incredible last few months for the PS4. To think people actually choose Xbox over PlayStation when games like these exist. Truly baffling.

Bojan11

Ghost of Tsushima is really the swansong. Last huge exclusive. What an incredible last few months for the PS4. To think people actually choose Xbox over PlayStation when games like these exist. Truly baffling.
Cyberpunk is really the swansong. Last huge game.

Also @evil_geko @Mr Pigeon how you folks doing?

amolbhatia50k

It's almost like people shouldn't judge things based on rumours.
I reserved my judgement until I play game and still do. But from what I understand it was more that tons of YouTubers, including some well known ones, despised the leaks as opposed to mere rumours. It's just interesting that a game with that sort of backlash is now so reknown.