Television The Last of Us - TV Series HBO | NO GAME REFERENCES OR SPOILERS | Receives 24 Emmy nominations

OverratedOpinion

That was absolutely beautiful. I have not played the game since it came out and I didn't see the value in a show where we already know what happened but seeing how nuanced Bill was in comparison to the game and how great Pedro is (in everything) I now see the value.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People who call episodes like that "pointless" or "filler" as if moving the plot forward is the only way to add value to a story don't deserve nice things.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People who call episodes like that "pointless" or "filler" as if moving the plot forward is the only way to add value to a story don't deserve nice things.
Again, as the only person in this thread to have called it pointless, I only mean "pointless" in terms of plot progression - not as an episode of television... and yeah I don't think there is any problem at all with episodes that take a break/tell different stories at all.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Watched the 1st episode last night on YT. Thought it was decent. Good acting, good visual effects, great sense of love and attention in the world building and general atmosphere.

Would I continue with the show and would I delve into the game ? probably not. I've had my fairshare of disaster or post apocalyptic movies/shows/games/books.
I don't think this will bring up anything new into that genre but it does feel very heavily geared towards being character driven, which is usually the best way to tackle any of these particular stories.

Eriku

Watched the 1st episode last night on YT. Thought it was decent. Good acting, good visual effects, great sense of love and attention in the world building and general atmosphere.

Would I continue with the show and would I delve into the game ? probably not. I've had my fairshare of disaster or post apocalyptic movies/shows/games/books.
I don't think this will bring up anything new into that genre but it does feel very heavily geared towards being character driven, which is usually the best way to tackle any of these particular stories.
So funny how this post comes hot on the heels of several pages of people being positively surprised by the storytelling choices in the third episode :lol:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Again, as the only person in this thread to have called it pointless, I only mean "pointless" in terms of plot progression - not as an episode of television... and yeah I don't think there is any problem at all with episodes that take a break/tell different stories at all.
No one likes you in here anymore AN, sorry.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
I can only assume that the people complaining about this episode are the same people who gave up on Better Call Saul after one season.

Fully Fledged

As I said before I liked Bill and Frank and would have liked to see more of them. It wasn't actually that they died that made me think meh. It's that they went out in a whimper in a murder/suicide pact.

It wasn't the murder/suicide pact that got me either. If they had Thelma and Louise'd it over the side of a cliff with hundreds of infected following them or died in the street fighting either the infected or raiders I would have been happy with the episode.

I liked Tess more but I was okay with her death as she went out as a BAMF while Bill and Frank went out with a whimper.

Sylar

It was fantastic storytelling. I actually like they went out the way they wanted, rather than a crash and burn style thing. They got to die in each others arms in their bed after having as 'decent' a life they could together in a world like this.
And it linked with Joel/Ellie benefiting from Tess/Joel knowing them previously to move into the next episode (where they can travel now without having to walk and walk and walk).

Oh and Ellie has a gun now.

The acting has been great. I can see why people would say this could have been a little shorter than it was, and thats fair. I enjoyed it overall.

Also from the discussion from previous pages, it is a zombie show adapted from a zombie game. It does characters and relationships better than most of that genre.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
As I said before I liked Bill and Frank and would have liked to see more of them. It wasn't actually that they died that made me think meh. It's that they went out in a whimper in a murder/suicide pact.

It wasn't the murder/suicide pact that got me either. If they had Thelma and Louise'd it over the side of a cliff with hundreds of infected following them or died in the street fighting either the infected or raiders I would have been happy with the episode.

I liked Tess more but I was okay with her death as she went out as a BAMF while Bill and Frank went out with a whimper.
We probably haven’t seen the last of them though, I assume there is going to be flashbacks that they will all be in and that will be helped by understanding their story and feeling attached to them.

AlPistacho

Doesn’t the nature of their deaths make them winners? They
didn’t get infected, didn’t get killed by raiders, didn’t live under the federals, they lived freely and normally with all the amenities of the previous society until old age. The one thing missing from Bill’s tranquil life of wine and find foods was companionship and he found that too.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
didn’t get infected, didn’t get killed by raiders, didn’t live under the federals, they lived freely and normally with all the amenities of the previous society until old age. The one thing missing from Bill’s tranquil life of wine and find foods was companionship and he found that too.
Yeah there was absolutely no need to go out guns blazing. They purposefully avoided that the whole time so it makes perfect sense to go out like that. I wouldn't call it a "whimper" by any stretch of the imagination.

Oldyella

A whimper? They will probably be the only dignified, contented deaths we see in the show, a perfect capstone to their story. Plenty more will die like BAMFs I'm sure..

Sylar

Agreed
everything was on their own terms (obviously dying sucks, which you cant really control if you get infected /sick, etc). But even that they managed to control after having a day together that they wanted

Last edited:

)_(

I would argue choosing to go out at the end with the person you love after a fairly satisfying life in those circumstances is very bamf.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Do people really not get that the way this episode went and the letter at the end is the seed of how Joel acts at the end of all this and better explains the transition in TV terms?

Or am I reading too much into it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It was fantastic storytelling. I actually like they went out the way they wanted, rather than a crash and burn style thing. They got to die in each others arms in their bed after having as 'decent' a life they could together in a world like this.
Yeah there was absolutely no need to go out guns blazing. They purposefully avoided that the whole time so it makes perfect sense to go out like that. I wouldn't call it a "whimper" by any stretch of the imagination.
Yeah, absolutely. The moment Frank realises that Bill is going with him, and the very understated way they discuss it, is poignant and it makes complete sense. And if you don't think Bill concluding it by “This isn’t the tragic suicide at the end of the play, I’m old, I’m satisfied, and you were my purpose" is better than an "all guns blazing" kind of end, then I'm not sure Mazin's style is going to suit you.

Redlambs

Yeah, absolutely. The moment Frank realises that Bill is going with him, and the very understated way they discuss it, is poignant and it makes complete sense. And if you don't think Bill concluding it by “This isn’t the tragic suicide at the end of the play, I’m old, I’m satisfied, and you were my purpose" is better than an "all guns blazing" kind of end, then I'm not sure Mazin's style is going to suit you.
And he also leaves a note that makes Joel realise who his purpose is right at the end.

Vitro

Do people really not get that the way this episode went and the letter at the end is the seed of how Joel acts at the end of all this and better explains the transition in TV terms?
Exactly this.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The way they died was great.

Had a debate with the wife whether it's worth sticking around if your minds still sharp? Even if you're in a lot of pain... at least you still get to watch United (though arguably that just leads to more pain...)

Redlambs

Had a debate with the wife whether it's worth sticking around if your minds still sharp? Even if you're in a lot of pain... at least you still get to watch United (though arguably that just leads to more pain...)
Yeah I had the same discussion :lol:

Though there's no way I could end her life and carry on. It's was the reality of that ended that stuck the cord most.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I did laugh when Bill suggested there might be a cure for MND (I think?) in the apocalypse. Desperate times.

Holocene

Not even Mazin, this is what The Last of Us is about. Anyone watching it for zombie killing or action will be left disappointed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

“Yup. Enough to kill a horse”

“I should be absolutely furious but, from an objective point of view, it’s incredibly romantic!”

Great writing.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
How the feck did they make the booze last 20 years? Pretty sure if I was alone in a zombie apocalypse I'd have a shop's worth gone in a month.