Television The Last of Us - TV Series HBO | NO GAME REFERENCES OR SPOILERS | Receives 24 Emmy nominations

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
100% wrong. Potentially saving the world over one life, I'd be willing to if the other person was as well. I suppose that is where the fireflies were wrong as well, they should have told this to Ellie, who most likely would've gone with it. Both wrong but Joel much more wrong.
Or it could be seen as killing a young girl on pure speculation that something in her brain could be a cure.

No observing, running tests, trying to figure something out with (as far as I’m aware?) the only person in 20 years who’s immune? Straight to killing her and hoping for the best?

AlPistacho

I get what you are saying...she knows Joel is ruthless and dangerous, but she also thinks he is just motivated by money and self interest (as he was before he grew attached to Ellie). Marlene saw her relationship with Joel as merely transactional. He wasn't a committed Firefly, he was a loner and a ruthless killer, maybe he was made more approachable by his contact with Tess but still motivated only by self interest. So she probably is thinking that if he gets his money and a free ride out of town he will declare "no foul" and just walk away, rather than risk his own life to save a kid.
Not sure this is true. To those that don’t know him he was viewed like that, but I think those that did must have realised that despite whatever bad he may have done it was all done for survival and due to circumstances and he wasn’t some utter scum without a code. Might be wrong, but that my read of his character and story.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not sure this is true. To those that don’t know him he was viewed like that, but I think those that did must have realised that despite whatever bad he may have done it was all done for survival and due to circumstances and he wasn’t some utter scum without a code. Might be wrong, but that my read of his character and story.
Sure. But your read is irrelevant. What matters is how he’s perceived by the Firefly’s. Whose only interactions with him seem to have been in the context of him being an utterly selfish mercenary.

AlPistacho

Sure. But your read is irrelevant. What matters is how he’s perceived by the Firefly’s. Whose only interactions with him seem to have been in the context of him being an utterly selfish mercenary.
That’s true. But I got the feeling Marlene knew him more, or had a better gauge of the man behind the reputation

stepic

I get what you are saying...she knows Joel is ruthless and dangerous, but she also thinks he is just motivated by money and self interest (as he was before he grew attached to Ellie). Marlene saw her relationship with Joel as merely transactional. He wasn't a committed Firefly, he was a loner and a ruthless killer, maybe he was made more approachable by his contact with Tess but still motivated only by self interest. So she probably is thinking that if he gets his money and a free ride out of town he will declare "no foul" and just walk away, rather than risk his own life to save a kid.
given he was such a ruthless killer, it's still an unnecessary risk to take. just keep him immobile in any way until the surgery is done at least.

not even contemplating the fact he could have developed some kind of bond having spent weeks trekking across the country with her is pushing believability massively. he was also clearly very interested in where she was when he just woke up.

i forgive it though because it was such a good show otherwise.

Wing Attack Plan R

Exactly. Plus from a lot of the interviews Druckman has given over the years, zombie apocalypse is really just the backdrop for the human experience. You get such a wonderful flavor of it in the game that can't translate like for like into the show. But they've done a phenomenal job of it so far.

Just the right amount of building on the source material for me. I do wonder how it hits for anyone that hasn't played the game. I can understand this episode being unexpected but more curious about how it will all feel for them looking back with the context of the full season.
I’m only just past that episode.
I have not played the game.
I did not like the Bill & Frank’s Excellent Adventure episode. I think the criticisms of it are valid, at least as I understand those criticisms to be. The entire episode seemed bent on proving that two men can have a beautiful love story. There are undoubtedly people in the world that needed to see such a story to believe it. I, however, lived in West Hollywood (aka Boys Town) for 10 years, so two men in love is not novel, and is as inherently boring as a hetero couple. For me, it did very little to flesh out the world or the story. And if it’s just a love story set against the end of the world, I guess I just didn’t care.

This episode reminded me of the infamous Nikki & Paulo episode of Lost, or more like the Rose & Bernie episode. It had an agenda but if you’re already on board with it, it was tedious. They stopped the part of the story I was interested in and detoured into something else that just wasn’t very interesting (and I didn’t particularly like the two actors). I also didn’t like White Lotus and Parks and Rec., so those actors don’t do it for me.

I think they could have achieved the import of these characters’ story but done it faster. I got bored. Sorry.

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

Now that Season 1 is done, I have some questions. Can we ask questions about the show vs. the game now @Solius?

The last episode was my favorite. I loved how Joel
went into the hospital and didn't give people any time for big speeches or stand-off moments, like when the doctor says, "I can't let you take her" and a second later Joels shoots him. I loved his ruthlessness. I never played the game, so it really worked for me that he goes to rescue Ellie even if they could have developed some kind of antidote from her.

Question 1: did Ellie know she would die if they went through with that surgery? She asks Joel to swear everything he said about the Fireflies was true, and it seemed in that moment that she knew it would cost her life to help them.

Question 2: In this new world, FEDRA are fascists and the Fireflies are freedom fighters, but are the Fireflies more like terrorists? Were they meant to be the good guys?

Question 3: Why does no one ride a bicycle? All that walking.

Question 4: Why does cordyceps not live in other mammals, like the giraffes? Are there zombie animals?

Now, in general post-apocalyptic mode: I can see some of the wacky neo-Nazi militias in the USA turning into "raiders" or whatever weirded out communes exist in these types of shows, however, I just don't believe people would act like that as a whole. You would have some Andrew Tate-types trying to create a warlord fiefdom, but all that would fall apart when the engineers and hackers simply rebuilt society down the road without them. I'm getting tired of the pessimistic view of humanity.

Wing Attack Plan R

Or it could be seen as killing a young girl on pure speculation that something in her brain could be a cure.

No observing, running tests, trying to figure something out with (as far as I’m aware?) the only person in 20 years who’s immune? Straight to killing her and hoping for the best?
That's how I saw it, too. This "cure" was pie in the sky, at best.

AaronRedDevil

Now that Season 1 is done, I have some questions. Can we ask questions about the show vs. the game now @Solius?

went into the hospital and didn't give people any time for big speeches or stand-off moments, like when the doctor says, "I can't let you take her" and a second later Joels shoots him. I loved his ruthlessness. I never played the game, so it really worked for me that he goes to rescue Ellie even if they could have developed some kind of antidote from her.

Question 1: did Ellie know she would die if they went through with that surgery? She asks Joel to swear everything he said about the Fireflies was true, and it seemed in that moment that she knew it would cost her life to help them.

Question 2: In this new world, FEDRA are fascists and the Fireflies are freedom fighters, but are the Fireflies more like terrorists? Were they meant to be the good guys?

Question 4: Why does cordyceps not live in other mammals, like the giraffes? Are there zombie animals?

Now, in general post-apocalyptic mode: I can see some of the wacky neo-Nazi militias in the USA turning into "raiders" or whatever weirded out communes exist in these types of shows, however, I just don't believe people would act like that as a whole. You would have some Andrew Tate-types trying to create a warlord fiefdom, but all that would fall apart when the engineers and hackers simply rebuilt society down the road without them. I'm getting tired of the pessimistic view of humanity.
Just for Q1. She didn't know about that. Joel straight up lied to her about what he says. She didn't know or have any say in the procedure.

Wing Attack Plan R

Kill one person to save a majority is a great dilemma when youre not directly involved with the one person.
once you are, then it becomes even tougher and you are obviously not gonna want to sacrifice the one person that is left that matters to you. Especially when the choice is taken from you.

I kinda agree with you, in that. But its a great dilemma to think of (like the whole, train is on track, which splits, if you let is continue, you and one other person die, if you change course, you survive but it crashes into a town or something)

Wing Attack Plan R

100% wrong. Potentially saving the world over one life, I'd be willing to if the other person was as well. I suppose that is where the fireflies were wrong as well, they should have told this to Ellie, who most likely would've gone with it. Both wrong but Joel much more wrong.

Also it was annoying how 1) they didn't just lock Joel in one of the rooms till the surgery was over because they know how dangerous he is but rather 2) sent him away with only two guards and 3) Joel single handedly took down a whole group typical cliched hero style.

Overall a decent 7/10 series. Not worth the hype is garnering but certainly not bad as well.
I think that a society willing to murder an unfortunate person, or sacrifice them for their own benefit, is a society that is not worth preserving. Society as a whole will be better off with unbreakable bonds like between Joel and Ellie. Human organ harvesting from street kids is a similar vibe.

AlPistacho

1) Don’t think Ellie knew she was on the table. But she clearly suspects and appears to just accept Joel’s answer.

2)Fireflies are viewed as terrorist by the Fedra, and Fedra are viewed as fascist by Fireflies. In reality I think we see different regions or time periods etc have good/bad of each. For example in the flashback we see Ellie appears to grow up in a city where the Fedra are not bad. But then we see cities where they are, we also see cities where the fireflies are in control and pretty much evil too.

3) Bikes maybe all rusted and/or not safe if you get ambushed.

4) Don’t know.

Herman Toothrot

I don't think this is a spoiler. Regarding Q4, I think a note in the game suggests a Firefly scientist gets infected via a bite from the lab monkeys which we briefly see in the series. So I think they cordyceps adapted to infect humans and perhaps close relations to humans. It came via our processed food chain, not in the wild. The monkeys were probably deliberately infected and are a close match to humans, I'm guessing it doesn't take with animals more distantly related. But yeah, I see no reason why hoards of infected wouldn't take down those giraffes just for the hell of it.

wr8_utd

:'(
Which season are they considering for the awards? If Beef is in there, it surely means the current year but then how does Brian Cox get a nomination for this season?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
The floodgates are going to open big time on video games adaptations now with this getting "worthy" award success.
This isn't a brand new phenomena, video game adaptations have been a thing for years?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They’ve not really generated critical acclaim though, I think is the point.
I think it will remain a rare occurrence. Look at the talent they got for this, can't say I'm surprised but the reception

Eriku

I think it will remain a rare occurrence. Look at the talent they got for this, can't say I'm surprised but the reception
Same. Plus both the game and show was written and directed by Druckman, and the game was clearly made with a very cinematic intent.

I can picture production companies fancying adaptations from games more with this success in mind, though.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Genuine question, should I watch the game or TV show first?
Both spoiler each other. The show follows the game very closely, so it's your own choice which one you want to experience first.

Deserved nominations. Really enjoyed the season as a whole.
Who would have thought that a show would be a success, if it respects the successful source material and stays close to it. That logic might be too difficult for Netflix to understand.

Herman Toothrot

I played the game first because I think it deserves it. Be sure to play The Last of Us Part 1 and not the original The Last of Us which uses the original engine and is looking its age these days.

AaronRedDevil

Playing the game makes the show more sweeter. Because it opens up more about the moments we didn’t get in the game. Game is well worth it and not hard to play. Amazing story obviously. Either way it’s good.

)_(

Looking back at it, this series is incredibly overrated. That's a crazy amount of nominations for what's essentially a "fine" show. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching it but especially the latter episodes were a bit eh, the acting by the mains wasnt very convincing and the best episode really was episode 3. Offerman and Bartlett are definitely deserving of their acting noms. Pedro getting in over someone like Paddy Considine is just silly. Bella was also just fine like Pedro but again, not really award worthy though the actor category is much stronger this year than actress. Succession should win the main categories. But what this mostly shows is that the industry needs to do more than just watch HBO shows.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I think it's my favourite show still running. Great acting, great story arc, compelling characters....couldn't ask anymore IMO.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I really did enjoy Ted lasso but the high nominations each year is way over the top when compared to the actual show.
Pretty much the same for Last of Us, really nothing special.

And Wednesday getting 12 nominations one year as well :lol:

Looking back at it, this series is incredibly overrated. That's a crazy amount of nominations for what's essentially a "fine" show. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching it but especially the latter episodes were a bit eh, the acting by the mains wasnt very convincing and the best episode really was episode 3. Offerman and Bartlett are definitely deserving of their acting noms. Pedro getting in over someone like Paddy Considine is just silly. Bella was also just fine like Pedro but again, not really award worthy though the actor category is much stronger this year than actress. Succession should win the main categories. But what this mostly shows is that the industry needs to do more than just watch HBO shows.
Completely agree, also with the acting comments on Offerman and Bartlett. Haven't managed to watch Succession so can't comment on that though.

wr8_utd

:'(
It was a great show and among the best we had but honestly, after Succession and The Bear released, you could instantly remember why those two are in a completely different, and elite, category compared to TIU.

Superunknown

Play the game first, including Left Behind. Then play through the second. Both are masterpieces.

I love the tv series, but the source material still tops it. It just hits differently.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah, I think I agree. It seemed to be an event show that everyone was watching and I think that played a part in the hype. This is not to say that it's a bad show - it's actually a good show - but I do find it very overrated. I would say that everything about the show is just good. The acting is good, the writing is good, but nothing truly stands out as exceptional.

In fact, I haven't actually finished it. Got two episodes left. I was a bit bored by it hence why I stopped. I'll definitely finish it. But as someone who's completed the game about 4 times, I know how it goes.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Agreed. There is room for the characters to breath in the game. There is a constant level of tension and stealth from the clickers that you only get once or twice in the show. The video game is a masterpiece.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It was a great show and among the best we had but honestly, after Succession and The Bear released, you could instantly remember why those two are in a completely different, and elite, category compared to TIU.
Yeah, I can only speak of Succession because I haven't watched The Bear, but the writing and acting in that show is on another level. Last of Us is good, but shows like Succession are elite.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Pretty much the same for Last of Us, really nothing special.

And Wednesday getting 12 nominations one year as well :lol:

Completely agree, also with the acting comments on Offerman and Bartlett. Haven't managed to watch Succession so can't comment on that though.
Yeah I can at least understand TLOU with all its hype & production value etc. - I never played the game but just watching the actual series I thought it was fairly good. Wednesday is a bit iffy - as much as I actually enjoyed it in fairness (it was “different”) but yeah I guess it’s because TL had a fairly disappointing (felt rushed) ending but also, it had a diminishing returns to scale for me (maybe because I watched all seasons?). I could be wrong….