Television The Last of Us - TV Series HBO | NO GAME REFERENCES OR SPOILERS | Receives 24 Emmy nominations

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It definitely felt like they made Joel more likeable and Marlene more cnutish (the whole her being there when Ellie was born wasn’t in the game IIRC, so basically implied she raised her to die)
I don't think it means she raised her to die. Otherwise she would have ran tests on her without her being bitten first. I think it explains how she was able to make it to Marlene without being killed given she was already bitten/infected. Anyone else and perhaps Marlene also shoots them at first sight rather than entertain some tail of being immune.

crappycraperson

Scout
But did The Last Of Us have T-Dog?

Checkmate:

I forgot that this character was ever even part of TWD. For me, the fact TWD even in those early seasons pretty much relied so much on same kind of Zombie induced scenarios again and again, highlight its inferiority compared to TLOUS.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Which T-Dog was he? I remember there was always one T-Dog because there was always one black guy, and as soon as another black guy came along they killed the other black guy :lol:
"Cutty" from the Wire I think? :lol:

The discussion is idiotic though. Both TV shows are just as good/crap. The overrating of anything HBO in this forum is ridiculous.

These are just filler TV shows. Nothing deep on them. Just a quick simple fix to pass time on.

No one will be rewatching this show or talking about it in 10 years.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Which T-Dog was he? I remember there was always one T-Dog because there was always one black guy, and as soon as another black guy came along they killed the other black guy :lol:
Oh yeah I remember the whole T Dog 2.0 shit that was a bit of a meme at the time.

jeff_goldblum

Personally I don't mind the lack of infected kicking around, I think it makes sense. If you've got a gun and some know-how (which most of the people who have lasted this long probably do) they're not a huge threat unless you get taken unawares and/or overwhelmed by a big group, both of which are unlikely outside of bigger towns and cities. I think it's reasonable that they're a constant threat in the backdrop, as opposed to being the main challenge. Narratively, you limit yourself enormously if your protagonists spend a lot of time tackling an antagonist whose motivations are obvious from the start and are incapable of changing.

I haven't played through the games, but my suspicion is that achieving immunity to the fungus wouldn't actually make much difference. The world would be still be fecked, pre-fungus supply chains and infrastructure would still be largely unfeasible because of population loss and the breakdown of political and social structures. I doubt a fungus vaccine suddenly means all the fascistic police states and bands of marauders settle down and beat their M-16s into ploughshares.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I don't think it means she raised her to die. Otherwise she would have ran tests on her without her being bitten first. I think it explains how she was able to make it to Marlene without being killed given she was already bitten/infected. Anyone else and perhaps Marlene also shoots them at first sight rather than entertain some tail of being immune.
We know Marlene knows she’s immune because she’s the one that gives Joel the mission in the first place…I think explicitly showing she was there when she was born makes her seem a bit more cnutish for being willing to kill her so easily though…

However I watched the cutscenes yesterday and she does actually mention knowing her as a baby in the game (though its obviously no substitute for seeing it) but there’s also definitely a marked difference in her performance. She’s a lot more reasonable seeming in the game and a lot colder in the show.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
We know Marlene knows she’s immune because she’s the one that gives Joel the mission in the first place…I think explicitly showing she was there when she was born makes her seem a bit more cnutish for being willing to kill her so easily though…

However I watched the cutscenes yesterday and she does actually mention knowing her as a baby in the game (though its obviously no substitute for seeing it) but there’s also definitely a marked difference in her performance. She’s a lot more reasonable seeming in the game and a lot colder in the show.
It’s the same actress in the game and TV show (one of only two roles that were replicated), so I wonder if it was her choice to play Marlene this way or M&D’s choice.

The Firestarter

I felt that last ep and the one before were very rushed. Especially when Joel was one minute in a coma and a paracetamol later, he turns into vin diesel. Overall I would give the show a solid 7/10.

Really needed to be 10 eps.
Yep. From concussion to autoaim in 10 mins. The last episode should have been two parts. First one a massive encounters with infected,to demonstrate there is still actually a need for a cure, in the end of which the girafe stuff and getting knocked out, and then one entire episode for the hospital encounter, with a drown out firefight , not the speed run that happened.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Yep. From concussion to autoaim in 10 mins. The last episode should have been two parts. First one a massive encounters with infected,to demonstrate there is still actually a need for a cure, in the end of which the girafe stuff and getting knocked out, and then one entire episode for the hospital encounter, with a drown out firefight , not the speed run that happened.
Yeah I vividly remember that last bit in the hospital was really difficult for me in the game but here, it was barely a montage :lol:

Mockney

It’s the same actress in the game and TV show (one of only two roles that were replicated), so I wonder if it was her choice to play Marlene this way or M&D’s choice.
Gotta think it was theirs. I watched a thing with Troy Baker about acting in the game and Druckmann was apparently very hands on directing, making him do scenes again and again until he got what he wanted.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yep. From concussion to autoaim in 10 mins.
That's every TV show and movie ever in the history of entertainment, though. At this point it's hardly even suspension of disbelief. It might as well be suspension of disbelief that everyone doesn't have hearing damage from all the guns going off. It's silly, but it's just how it is.

The Firestarter

Yeah I vividly remember that last bit in the hospital was really difficult for me in the game but here, it was barely a montage :lol:
At the beginning of the show Joel is shown as not a particularly good shot but now he is Chris Kyle and every firefly is trying his best to get shot :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
First one a massive encounters with infected,to demonstrate there is still actually a need for a cure, in the end of which the girafe stuff and getting knocked out,
I'm worried that all of that would barely be twenty minutes on its own.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Personally I don't mind the lack of infected kicking around, I think it makes sense. If you've got a gun and some know-how (which most of the people who have lasted this long probably do) they're not a huge threat unless you get taken unawares and/or overwhelmed by a big group, both of which are unlikely outside of bigger towns and cities. I think it's reasonable that they're a constant threat in the backdrop, as opposed to being the main challenge. Narratively, you limit yourself enormously if your protagonists spend a lot of time tackling an antagonist whose motivations are obvious from the start and are incapable of changing.

I haven't played through the games, but my suspicion is that achieving immunity to the fungus wouldn't actually make much difference. The world would be still be fecked, pre-fungus supply chains and infrastructure would still be largely unfeasible because of population loss and the breakdown of political and social structures. I doubt a fungus vaccine suddenly means all the fascistic police states and bands of marauders settle down and beat their M-16s into ploughshares.
Any time they've had infected on screen someone has been bitten. The opening scenes are absolute chaos, and that's before the infected were in great numbers. Two clickers in the museum managed to bite Tess and Ellie, Ellie got bit previously along with Riley because of a single infected, the horde absolutely obliterated the heavily armed group from Kansas City in a matter of minutes.

They've set these infected up to be deadly as feck. Not Walking Dead "oh, it looks like I might not get away from this but luckily I have plot armour" deadly, but "holy shit I've been near one of these things for five seconds and now my face is gone" deadly. They're absolute monsters.

I don't think you can have another scene with these things chasing after the main characters and let them get away without it diluting how dangerous the infected are meant to be. Too many movies and shows have their infected be God-like to begin with and by the end they're just a minor inconvenience or there to serve as a way to kill off a character when their arc is over. With this show, as we've seen any time they're on screen, there's a sense of impending doom surrounding them at all times.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
That's every TV show and movie ever in the history of entertainment, though. At this point it's hardly even suspension of disbelief. It might as well be suspension of disbelief that everyone doesn't have hearing damage from all the guns going off. It's silly, but it's just how it is.
Doesn't Joel say his hearing is shit because of guns in one of the episodes?

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
I felt that last ep and the one before were very rushed. Especially when Joel was one minute in a coma and a paracetamol later, he turns into vin diesel. Overall I would give the show a solid 7/10.

Really needed to be 10 eps.
I'm not a doctor but I imagine when someone is coming in to kill you then adrenaline will take over and your body naturally will be on high defence and alertness levels will go up as well as pain tolerance.

I'd assume that's what would happen if someone was coming after me to kill me anyway.

crappycraperson

Scout

Ofcourse she knows Ellie is immune when she gave Joel the mission. My point was that she did not know the same when Ellie was a baby. So it was not the case of knowing that when she is grown up, she will try to use her to find a cure. It was happenstance that Ellie got bit and then could rely on Marlene connection to get a safe harbour.

Sylar

Twd seemed pointless at the end of S1 (season finale) but the EPS before were really good.

S2 was the boring farm stuff but had a good (but didn't make sense) mid season finale and then finale. Twd was mostly that, lots of crap and then something to hook you at end of episode or mid season.

Tlou had more focus on two characters overall so that helped the show.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The finding a cure stuff doesnt really land at all in the tv version, considering there's feck all infected about. Plus the spores have been written out of the story. The little survivor communities dont worry about infected, they worry about food and energy.
Yeah plus getting a cure felt like a “well, so what? There’s no infected left anyway”.
With the world the show has created a cure doesn’t even seem necessary. Infected nowhere to be seen.
But the whole first episode shows how shit life is, living under military law in an overcrowded compound because they’re surrounded by the infected. Plus an episode showing how quickly quality of life could be improved if there was no threat from infected. Just press the on switch at your local mall. Then we had another episode to show what happens when you overthrow the military, don’t pay enough intention to the infected and they multiply like crazy and literally explode up through the ground.

And even if you go for the “remote commune” approach they had an episode dedicated to how grim that can end up. Literally eating each other to survive.

So yeah, I think they made it pretty fecking clear that a cure would radically transform humanity.

Last edited:

JimmyWils

His right ear. Which he reveals in the final episode
was a failed suicide attempt.
He also mentions this again in the last episode where he's having the proper bond with Ellie doesn't he?

JimmyWils

That’s what I was referring to, yeah. Earlier on he implies it was from just shooting a gun a lot. Then gives the real reason in the final episode.
Completely misread it as 'first' episode. Shouldn't be posting pre morning caffeine clearly!

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Overall i really, really liked the first season.

I didn't love all episodes though. Episode 3 is quite emotional and well played but it adds absolutely nothing to the story or the characters. Joel could just have found a truck in the city, boom, i saved you 40 minutes of a love story (that is very well done i have to admit) of characters that are COMPLETELY unimportant before and after that particular episode.
Episode 7 (the Ellie and friend episode) is another story because although it doesn't progress the plot, it helps you to better understand one of the main characters.

Episode 2, 5 and 8 were the clear highlights for me.

The last episode was good but i felt that the ending war very abrupt and anticlimatic.

Is it already known if we will get season 2 in 2024 or 2025?

rpitchfo

Enjoyed it overall. Not a classic by any means. Doubt I’ll watch the second series if it’s more of the same.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Overall i really, really liked the first season.

I didn't love all episodes though. Episode 3 is quite emotional and well played but it adds absolutely nothing to the story or the characters. Joel could just have found a truck in the city, boom, i saved you 40 minutes of a love story (that is very well done i have to admit) of characters that are COMPLETELY unimportant before and after that particular episode.
Episode 7 (the Ellie and friend episode) is another story because although it doesn't progress the plot, it helps you to better understand one of the main characters.

Episode 2, 5 and 8 were the clear highlights for me.

The last episode was good but i felt that the ending war very abrupt and anticlimatic.

Is it already known if we will get season 2 in 2024 or 2025?
It's interesting to hear the different opinions on episode 3. Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann think it's the key to the whole show.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's interesting to hear the different opinions on episode 3. Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann think it's the key to the whole show.
I though it was excellent and did a huge amount of world building and character development.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I love episode 3.

If anything I found the almost scene for scene episodes from the game (episodes 8 and 9) slightly underwhelming (but still great as a TV adaptation) because I've played them out before. For me the deviations and extra stories were the best part.

Mockney

Joel could just have found a truck in the city, boom, i saved you 40 minutes of a love story (that is very well done i have to admit) of characters that are COMPLETELY unimportant before and after that particular episode.
Well, apart from all the stuff about being lost unless you find someone to love and fight for to make your existence worthwhile…. You know, the underlying theme of the show that is spelled out in the letter Bill leaves for Joel and even parroted at Ellie in the very last scene

But apart from that…

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Episode 3 was the best thing about the series, fuh me.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Well, apart from all the stuff about being lost unless you find someone to love and fight for to make your existence worthwhile…. You know, the underlying theme of the show that is spelled out in the letter Bill leaves for Joel and even parroted at Ellie in the very last scene

But apart from that…
I didnt say i didn't like episode 3, i said i didn't LOVE it ;)

I agree with others that the last 2 episodes felt a bit rushed and in that case i'd say that episode 3 "wasted" too much time. It would have been a great episode if Bill would have been an important character before or after that episode.
The underlying theme of the show is also shown in the present and past of the important characters. I would have preferred more scenes about Joels past instead of that (as i already said very well done and emotionally captivating) romance between two characters that are not important for the story. Or even more time for transition in the relationship between Joel and Ellie.

Are we still using spoiler tags?

I liked Henry and Sam in episode 5 way more because at least for that episode they were very important for the main story. And their relationship and ending was equally beautiful and tragic.

macheda14

I mean also the fungus is spread through bites. Most of the time the infected are ripping people apart, yeh you may not be immune but you'd still be dead.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
So why did she get Joel to chaperone her across the country to meet her again at the other side?
Originally it was just to get her to the state building outside the QZ in Boston. She was injured in episode 1 (shot?) and most of her crew were dead, so may have just wanted to risk doing it herself. Plus Joel and Tess were smugglers and likely more experienced with moving in and out of the QZ.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So why did she get Joel to chaperone her across the country to meet her again at the other side?
Her original request to Joel was to smuggle her out of the city to nearby Fireflies as she was too weak. Once Joel and Tess saw they'd been killed they had to carry on to where the fireflies might next be, and so on.

Marlene recovered, worked out where the fireflies were and made her way there herself with the help of a lot more people which is also why she got there faster.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
What happened to Marlene's pal with one ear? We never found out if it grew back or not :(