Television The Last of Us - TV Series HBO | NO GAME REFERENCES OR SPOILERS | Receives 24 Emmy nominations

ben_united

I felt that last ep and the one before were very rushed. Especially when Joel was one minute in a coma and a paracetamol later, he turns into vin diesel. Overall I would give the show a solid 7/10.

Really needed to be 10 eps.
Yeah they should make zombie apocalypse shows a bit more realistic ;).

Loved it overall. Even more so that it was the first show I've watched in ages where I've had to wait a week for the next episode.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Really feel like they should have had more menace from the infected in the last episode. We have them running about a new city they have never been in calling out to each other without a care in the world. It really just clashes with the idea that the infected are this massive threat that we need a cure for at all costs. So by the time you get to the point of Ellie on the table for the cure, its been ages since we actually saw a present day clicker threat. Makes it very hard to even justify the fire flies position of rushing for a cure and wanting to kill her.
I know we got a payoff in the second episode with the "hive mind" style infected but I was hoping it was going to be called back to at some point later in the season. The last episode did feel a bit rushed but I feel like they ticked all of the boxes that they needed to. I do keep thinking that another run in with the infected would have been good, especially in this episode, but I struggle to think where it would have realistically fit in without distracting from the narrative they were pulling.

JimmyWils

I know we got a payoff in the second episode with the "hive mind" style infected but I was hoping it was going to be called back to at some point later in the season. The last episode did feel a bit rushed but I feel like they ticked all of the boxes that they needed to. I do keep thinking that another run in with the infected would have been good, especially in this episode, but I struggle to think where it would have realistically fit in without distracting from the narrative they were pulling.
I get where everyone is coming from about the infected not playing a huge part in the show, but I side with the producers on this one. While the game obviously has a lot of action vs. the infected, ultimately the main point of it all is the human-focused storyline. The show got the chance to properly flesh that out and not be sidetracked by constant action scenes against the infected.

If anything they're included in the game and the show as the reason that humanity has crumbled, become what it has, and what people have done in the wake of a massive disaster.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I get where everyone is coming from about the infected not playing a huge part in the show, but I side with the producers on this one. While the game obviously has a lot of action vs. the infected, ultimately the main point of it all is the human-focused storyline. The show got the chance to properly flesh that out and not be sidetracked by constant action scenes against the infected.

If anything they're included in the game and the show as the reason that humanity has crumbled, become what it has, and what people have done in the wake of a massive disaster.
I agree. I've said before that if people want The Walking Dead style scenes where the heroes stand in a line and randomly fire guns at a row of zombies then there's dozens of other shows that do that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Yeah they should make zombie apocalypse shows a bit more realistic ;).

Loved it overall. Even more so that it was the first show I've watched in ages where I've had to wait a week for the next episode.
Haha nah I'm so up for suspending disbelief but sometimes that rope wears thin.

But I agree, it's the first weekly thing I've seen in... Since maybe GOT.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

I agree. Rather have less of that of that means that each time it happens, there's real threat. As was the case in this. Whereas like TWD, the zombies might as well be traffic cones.

Sylar

The one thing they've done is have somebody bitten or killed anytime there has been a run in with the infected.

I think maybe before being caught by fireflies was the only chance in this episode. Would have had ep7 shorter than what they should and maybe put parts of ep8 into 7 (ending with Ellie being taken). Had more Ellie/joel interactio.

Then could have had the same ep8 but added something with the infected.

It's all opinions though as I think it was still fantastic

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Maybe they could have done it like the game? In Salt Lake City between the wholesome giraffe meeting and the point where Fireflies find Joel and Ellie there's a scene where they have to go through a dark tunnel with infected inside. I don't see how it would have distracted anything to have a similar scene in the last episode, only maybe on a smaller scale or just having them sneak around a larger horde of infected. The final episode was so short that an extra 10 minutes with something like that would have fit in quite nicely IMO.

Other than that I've no complaints about the amount of infected shown in the series. Throughout the journey Joel and Ellie did their best to avoid the larger cities and went through the wilderness instead so it made sense for there not to be any infected just wandering around in the middle of nowhere but there definitely should have been some in or around Salt Lake City, if only to remind viewers they still exist and that they're dangerous because otherwise the whole point of being on this journey to find a cure loses it's purpose.

All in all not a big issue for me but would have been a nice bonus.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I've seen people compare it to The Walking Dead and say it's no better.

Did they watch The Walking Dead? Christ it was so bad.

JimmyWils

I would seriously question those people's tastes in TV and storylines. Absolute main crux of that series was on constant interaction with the undead - character story arcs were definitely a second, whichever way you cut it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
One thing about Marlene. In the flashback she does it with a purpose, no hesitation, then she cries. She’s all about the purpose.
Yup its pretty badass. She's actually a great character in both formats, but I just find that kind of character over done. her convicitions and her dedication to them are amazing but the hardcore greater good characters always seem to be the ones that come off as villains. Marlene is a little more grey than most in that she shows remorse. She's very much the type who will rise to be a leader, shares alot of similarities with Shane from the Walking Dead.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
TWD was dreadful. The first season showed promise but soon after it just became variations of...

padr81

Supports
Man City
You just got me thinking. Marlene talks about how half her group died on the way out West. Trying to recall if it's clarified or suggested whether that was because of infected or people. One of the resounding feelings I have from the show is that humans have more or less figured out cohabitation of the planet with the cordycps and that often the bigger threat is just ourselves.

What good really is a cure then?
Yeah even though the infected are a threat they're not a huge threat in how it comes across and I genuinely see that as a big issue in the Fireflies motives. I guess things can be fine and go south quickly but it feels like they're rushing with this Ellie thing given how little infected we see and how little threat they tend to pose. I think a little of it though is down to tv running times but it certainly makes the FF come across worse and Joel better.

padr81

Supports
Man City

The first 4 or so seasons of the Walking Dead (bar some dodgy acting by times) aren't bad at all I find People kinda judge TWD on the last 6 or 7 seasons which were pure junk.

I'd put Season 4 of TWD on a par. There is some real brutal stuff going on in that though the style is a little more ott than this.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I would seriously question those people's tastes in TV and storylines. Absolute main crux of that series was on constant interaction with the undead - character story arcs were definitely a second, whichever way you cut it.
Thats completely not true either, in fact the dead aren't really a problem in the walking dead at all after they find a couple of established communites (much like the last of us). They only become a problem if someone does something stupid (which happens alot in latter series) or if the plot needs a convenient horde to descend on the group. The entire show is about human group vs human group.

Massive Spanner

The first 4 or so seasons of the Walking Dead (bar some dodgy acting by times) aren't bad at all I find People kinda judge TWD on the last 6 or 7 seasons which were pure junk.

I'd put Season 4 of TWD on a par. There is some real brutal stuff going on in that though the style is a little more ott than this.
you must be joking? I recall season one had some decent bits but other than that it was pretty crap.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's amazing that I finally found out the end to the first story by watching a TV show, I always meant to go back and complete the game (I got up until the giraffe) but with my save being on PS3 and my every increasing backlog....

Anyway, I never fully understood the hype on the game, I was enjoying it and the story was good from what I recall (I thought The Walking Dead TT was more engrossing at the time)..... but that ending... I wonder if that would have elevated the game for me. It's a great ending, and yes Joel is a bit of a cnut....

Just started the second (I've been holding off since I bought it last year) and I'm enjoying what I've seen so far, it looks so fecking good in 10 ft HDR (was testing playing regular games on my PSVR2)

padr81

Supports
Man City
you must be joking? I recall season one had some decent bits but other than that it was pretty crap.
Nope, The Last of Us is my fave video game story but people opinions of TWD are seriously coloured by the meme it became. The entire section with Carol, Lizzie and Mika is easily on a par with most of what we've got here.

Massive Spanner

Nope, The Last of Us is my fave video game story but people opinions of TWD are seriously coloured by the meme it became. The entire section with Carol, Lizzie and Mika is easily on a par with most of what we've got here.
I remember season 4 with the governor vividly and it was a few decent episode scattered amongst total shite.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

They're identical shows, stop being dramatic.

- Joel and Ellie are basically just the police guy and that other one but with more words said to one another, and more things happening between them, and then changing over time. But other than that, identical.
- Marlene, Bill, Frank, Tess etc use words and actions to explain what type of person they are, which is identical to characters in TWD who use things like cowboy hats or samurai swords to show the same thing.
- Any time an infected in TLOU attacks someone it always gets at least one bite in. In the clicker episode each of them got a bite on one of our heroes, the single infected in Episode 7 bagged two victims. That's literally the same as TWD where for every thousand zombies at least one person gets a fright and barely makes it out of the situation unharmed. The point is that monsters are scary, yo.
- The characters in TWD are so diverse that TLOU wishes it could be as good. TWD has the kung-fu Jesus guy and the guy with a spiked ball for an arm who would have totally kissed if they had more than three hundred chances to kiss. Early seasons managed to have two black guys on screen at the same time, although that obviously meant that the older black guy would need to die at some point soon. They had lesbians. I mentioned the cowboy hats and samurai swords earlier but what about the one with the punky purple hair and pilot goggles, or the guy who had an eye patch? You might say that the writers of TWD were just replacing personalities with props because they couldn't develop a character to save themselves, to which I say "COOORALLL CORAL YER MAW CORRAAAAALLLLL sad face everyone's sad now".

Massive Spanner

- Joel and Ellie are basically just the police guy and that other one but with more words said to one another.
- Marlene uses words and actions to explain what type of person she is, which is identical to characters in TWD who use things like cowboy hats or samurai swords to show the same thing.
- Any time an infected in TLOU attacks someone it always gets at least one bite in. In the clicker episode each of them got a bite on one of our heroes, the infected in Episode 7 bagged two victims. That's literally the same as TWD where for every thousand zombies at least one person gets a fright and barely makes it out of the situation unharmed.
- The characters in TWD are so diverse that TLOU wishes it could be as good. TWD has the kung-fu Jesus guy and the guy with a spiked ball for an arm who would have totally kissed if they had more than three hundred chances to kiss. Early seasons managed to have two black guys on screen at the same time, although that obviously meant that the older black guy would need to die at some point soon. They had lesbians. I mentioned the cowboy hats and samurai swords earlier but what about the one with the punky purple hair and pilot goggles, or the guy who had an eye patch? You might say that the writers of TWD were just replacing character personalities with props because they couldn't develop a character to save themselves, to which I say "COOORALLL CORAL YER MAW CORRAAAAALLLLL sad face everyone's sad now".
L0L NOt readiNG

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I only watched the first season of TWD and it was already crap by the end, so I don’t know how anyone stuck with it for all eleventy billion episodes

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I agree on this. TWD didnt start out that badly. It just overstayed its welcome massively. I never watched past season 5 I think.

Last edited:

JimmyWils

- Joel and Ellie are basically just the police guy and that other one but with more words said to one another, and more things happening between them, and then changing over time. But other than that, identical.
- Marlene, Bill, Frank, Tess etc use words and actions to explain what type of person they are, which is identical to characters in TWD who use things like cowboy hats or samurai swords to show the same thing.
- Any time an infected in TLOU attacks someone it always gets at least one bite in. In the clicker episode each of them got a bite on one of our heroes, the single infected in Episode 7 bagged two victims. That's literally the same as TWD where for every thousand zombies at least one person gets a fright and barely makes it out of the situation unharmed. The point is that monsters are scary, yo.
- The characters in TWD are so diverse that TLOU wishes it could be as good. TWD has the kung-fu Jesus guy and the guy with a spiked ball for an arm who would have totally kissed if they had more than three hundred chances to kiss. Early seasons managed to have two black guys on screen at the same time, although that obviously meant that the older black guy would need to die at some point soon. They had lesbians. I mentioned the cowboy hats and samurai swords earlier but what about the one with the punky purple hair and pilot goggles, or the guy who had an eye patch? You might say that the writers of TWD were just replacing personalities with props because they couldn't develop a character to save themselves, to which I say "COOORALLL CORAL YER MAW CORRAAAAALLLLL sad face everyone's sad now".
Why could I not stop reading this. Well done.

And also, you have too much time on your hands :D

padr81

Supports
Man City
I remember season 4 with the governor vividly and it was a few decent episode scattered amongst total shite.
The Walking Dead is obviously way more over the top, but its far from total shite. Both season 4 of TWD and season 1 of TloU carry very similar audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes for example.

I don't get why good and all as it is people can't accept this is similar style show , obviously more grounded but it is what it is. The idea there are no similarities is just not true. Pretty much every person I've asked about it, who hasn't played the game has likened it to early seasons of the Walking Dead.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I agree on this. TWD didnt start put that badly. It just overstayed its welcome massively. I never watched past season 5 I think.
For sure, it was actually supposed to end pretty early but the comic dude just kept going and going and adding more and more nonsense that it became total rubbish.

Massive Spanner

The Walking Dead is obviously way more over the top, but its far from total shite. Both season 4 of TWD and season 1 of TloU carry very similar audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes for example.

I don't get why good and all as it is people can't accept this is similar style show , obviously more grounded but it is what it is. The idea there are no similarities is just not true. Pretty much every person I've asked about it, who hasn't played the game has likened it to early seasons of the Walking Dead.
They both have zombies and they're both supposed to be gritty and character driven adaptations, that's for sure, but the difference is that TLOU actually succeeds.

Fair enough you liked TWD but my god I thought it was largely crap apart from the odd decent episode.

padr81

Supports
Man City
They both have zombies and they're both supposed to be gritty and character driven adaptations, that's for sure, but the difference is that TLOU actually succeeds.

Fair enough you liked TWD but my god I thought it was largely crap apart from the odd decent episode.
I mean your entitled to an opinion and thats fine but I find too many people judge twd on later seasons, see Mr. Pigeons post above. There is also a lot more similarities... Joel building a relationship with Ellie is actually similar to Rick and Carl building a relationship (before it became nonsense).

All that shit came post season 4 when Kirkman ran out of ideas bar the usual Pigeon sarcasm (which is well put together and funny as always).
The idea that Joel and Ellies relationship evolves more than Rick and Carl's is a miss though. They literally go from estranged father and son to a close bond very similar to TloU (though tlou does it better). Rick also goes from almost innocent cop into having to become a battle harderend survivor, who then has to become a bit of a cnut as a leader and eventually a diplomat before he leaves the show which is weird for a guy and story that has no character development or story arc development.

If anything in twd you get to see these people become survivors whereas TloU just does a time jump.

Ted Lasso

It's amazing that I finally found out the end to the first story by watching a TV show, I always meant to go back and complete the game (I got up until the giraffe) but with my save being on PS3 and my every increasing backlog....

Anyway, I never fully understood the hype on the game, I was enjoying it and the story was good from what I recall (I thought The Walking Dead TT was more engrossing at the time)..... but that ending... I wonder if that would have elevated the game for me. It's a great ending, and yes Joel is a bit of a cnut....

Just started the second (I've been holding off since I bought it last year) and I'm enjoying what I've seen so far, it looks so fecking good in 10 ft HDR (was testing playing regular games on my PSVR2)
I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say the first game , that ending in particular, was one of the most emotional gaming experiences I've had. Maybe it was the timing in my life of when I played it, I'm not sure. But it's the first time as a young man I thought , shit, I could have a kid and I'd love them with everything I have in me. That's a weird feeling to get from a zombie apocalypse game. I think the majority of those who played the game has a strong connection to the characters in some way or other. Hence the outrage and anger w TLOU2... genuine grief ain't pretty and it's easy to turn that emotion against one or a group of people.

Massive Spanner

I mean your entitled to an opinion and thats fine but I find too many people judge twd on later seasons, see Mr. Pigeons post above. There is also a lot more similarities... Joel building a relationship with Ellie is actually similar to Rick and Carl building a relationship (before it became nonsense).

All that shit came post season 4 when Kirkman ran out of ideas bar the usual Pigeon sarcasm (which is well put together and funny as always).
The idea that Joel and Ellies relationship evolves more than Rick and Carl's is a miss though. They literally go from estranged father and son to a close bond very similar to TloU (though tlou does it better). Rick also goes from almost innocent cop into having to become a battle harderend survivor, who then has to become a bit of a cnut as a leader and eventually a diplomat before he leaves the show which is weird for a guy and story that has no character development or story arc development.

If anything in twd you get to see these people become survivors whereas TloU just does a time jump.
It was fecking shite and nobody can convince me otherwise.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say the first game , that ending in particular, was one of the most emotional gaming experiences I've had. Maybe it was the timing in my life of when I played it, I'm not sure. But it's the first time as a young man I thought , shit, I could have a kid and I'd love them with everything I have in me. That's a weird feeling to get from a zombie apocalypse game. I think the majority of those who played the game has a strong connection to the characters in some way or other. Hence the outrage and anger w TLOU2... genuine grief ain't pretty and it's easy to turn that emotion against one or a group of people.
Yeah I had a little daughter (grown now) so both TLoU and TWDTT resonated well with me, same with GoW a little later

cafecillos

Can a native English speaker explain the thread title to thread readers and posters? So many don't understand it. Maybe the wording can be simplified, I don't know.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

I agree with this, season 1 and 2 were decent! Then it went to well....

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Can you blame them? That's the majority of the show.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
But that doesn't make it right. The world and stuff is pretty much established, a slower more careful approach that is voluntary is far more logical than her choices given what we now know.

But for a start all she had to do was ask Ellie. But she took that choice from her and forced Joel's hand.joel made the human decision, not a selfish one. Not telling Ellie afterwards is when Joel became selfish.
Who cares? One life for potentially saving humanity's future is really not a moral dilemma like some pretend. Joel literally killed dozens just to save one human life he holds dear. People in hundreds die in war etc. Just look at the actual real world scenario of Covid vaccines being fast tracked. Even the safest ones did result in 1-2 perfectly healthy person(s) dying in a million or so. But that cost was accepted due to the larger benefit derived out of vaccinating a critical mass of people.