The "lazy black player" stereotype

Deleted member 101472

Some people need an autocorrecter that takes anything that could be construed as racist and churns it out in a way that isn’t. Or use their common sense.

Denis79

More than a glimmer pal. The thing with casual racism 2 man is that it's all over the shop.

His player performance thread is a mine of such comments also.

A lot of white lads getting very worked up in here.
Oh oh hold up. My comment "sounds like excuses to me" is referring to him blaming muscles for his poor form. Be careful who you accuse of racism mate. It's nothing you should throw around lightly.

More than a glimmer pal. The thing with casual racism 2 man is that it's all over the shop. Just a few comments from that thread -

His player performance thread is a mine of such comments also.

A lot of white lads getting very worked up in here.

I think you're going to have to seriously back up your comments here before accusing a long list of people of casual racism like that.

He is playing terribly at the moment and a big part of that is down to him being too heavy and unable to run.

Bola

I think it's been asked and in some way answered.

Animal similes are widespread throughout literature. Shakespeare;Tamora is called a 'heinous Tiger' in Titus Andronicus. Comparisons which do the animal a disservice if you ask me.

I think we've just become lazy and resort to cliche rather than racist stereotype. I think the perception is still there among certain coaches and even nationalities that black players are physically able but lack intellect. So we resort to poor descriptions based on colour, 'he's a black tank,' a black Messi,' 'black panther' was used to describe Eusebio even though he was a gifted striker in more departments as well as physical.

Didn't it used to be the case in the NFL, where the QB was always white and the runners black? It changed pretty rapidly though.
We have a load of work to do still
I always think it's about intent rather than the words.

The 'n' word and similes to primate can be used in multiple different contexts to express friendship, admiration, affection, frustration hatred, superiority and plain discrimination. Saying that, I'd probably avoid using the primate relayed terms in certain contexts given some of the disgusting racist stuff it's being associated with (e.g. monkey chants, banana throwing)

redmeister

Wasn't there a thread not too long about black players being stereotyped as "athletic" or similar? Now we have one saying they are lazy!

Someone could easily start a thread about CB's being stereotyped as ugly lumps, who are just there to rough the attacking players up. Think of the Steve Bruce and Martin Keown stereo type and how commentators used to say things like Matthew Upson doesn't have the face of a typical CB. Or how Rio was considered too good a footballer to be a CB.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I've asked the question as black people have historically been accused of laziness by white people.
And you'd be spot on. It's the lack of acceptance that people of colour are no different to anyone else.

It seems that some white people still feel threatened by black people so dehumanising them to the point where they are likened to a 'dumb' animal is levelling the playing field somewhat

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I think you're going to have to seriously back up your comments here before accusing a long list of people of casual racism like that.
I have done up thread. There's a pattern with Lukaku of accusations that are not levelled at other players. These accusations are historically levelled at members of the black community by people from outside of it.

Mobs out in full I see.

starman

I've asked the question as black people have historically been accused of laziness by white people.
Right, but you do know there a children's story called lazy donkey though, now it's whether or not the entire reference is racist.

I have done up thread. There's a pattern with Lukaku of accusations that are not levelled at other players. These accusations are historically levelled at members of the black community by people from outside of it.

Mobs out in full I see.
The mob will be out in force if you're going to make such baseless accusations.

Shark

@NotShark
It's pure lunacy. Aside from the obvious one at the end, there's nothing racist about the other posts whatsoever. Go into any Phil Jones thread and you'd also see endless posts like this.

Deleted member 101472

He's got a line through his name though, of course he's been banned for that. He got temped four hours ago and won't be around for a few days.
The line must not show up on phone then I guess.

Bola

It seems you'll need to read up on the history of the degradation of black people and their stereotyping and this may help you with your question
I'm still waiting on your explanation on how you came to the conclusion that the long list of posts are from 'white lads'

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
The mob will be out in force if you're going to make such baseless accusations.
Their quotes not mine.

If folk don't see the problem with that thread, the casual racism in it or in his player performance thread, then it explains why there's a problem here.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I'm still waiting on your explanation on how you came to the conclusion that the long list of posts are from 'white lads'
I'd call that a guess based on much the same process that people use for accusing Lukaku of being lazy and dumb ie hunchwork

Sylar

White people don't generally get likened to monkeys or gorillas.
I get what youre saying, but Bale often is.

I do however think descriptions are so lazy. I remember when we bought Pogba (first time) and people said without having seen much of him, he will be our Vieria.
Or people now saying Lukaku is our Heskey (they really dont play anything alike). Its very ... well lazy.

I think the obvious comparison was when we were in for Lukaku and Morata (pretty much like Chelsea). We got Lukaku, they got Morata. Morata was described as the intelligent player whilst Lukaku was described as the physical beast.

redmeister

It seems you'll need to read up on the history of the degradation of black people and their stereotyping and this may help you with your question
But if he does that isn't there the danger he'll be susceptible to confirmation bias and start making idiotic threads?

Stats showed Berbatov dramatically upped his work rate and became on of the players that covered the most distance. Yet people continued to call him lazy for years. If he'd been black wouldn't someone like yourself call this "casual racism?"

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

I do however think descriptions are so lazy. I remember when we bought Pogba (first time) and people said without having seen much of him, he will be our Vieria.
Or people now saying Lukaku is our Heskey (they really dont play anything alike). Its very ... well lazy.

I think the obvious comparison was when we were in for Lukaku and Morata (pretty much like Chelsea). We got Lukaku, they got Morata. Morata was described as the intelligent player whilst Lukaku was described as the physical beast.
George W. Bush too, but it's obviously lacking the racist intent when used about white people.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Zlatan missed clear cut chances every week and got nothing but praise
. lukaku misses a few and he is 'the worst striker in United history'.......
The difference is he usually scored another 1 or 2 to make up for it. When he missed a chance that resulted in dropped points, he was called all sorts.

And Lukaku hasn't missed "a few", he's been absolute dross for ages. Zlatan scored 28 goals that season, and when Lukaku was up near that figure last season he wasn't getting any criticism. This season he will be nowhere near, and he's being rightly criticised.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca

Good points.

The thing with Bale is that he is white therefore calling him a monkey, as unpleasant as that may be, is not racist. It's not a racial slur.

arnie_ni

Lukaku is s lazy shit that hardly moves or makes off the ball runs.

So was berbatov.

Its not racist

Bola

I'd call that a guess based on much the same process that people use for accusing Lukaku of being lazy and dumb ie hunchwork
So are you now assigning negative labels, based on general assumptions related to skin color?

Denis79

Their quotes not mine.

If folk don't see the problem with that thread, the casual racism in it or in his player performance thread, then it explains why there's a problem here.
Would you please break it down to me how you concluded my comment to be racist? That is a serious allegation. I do not appriciate being dragged in the mud without an explanation.

witchtrials

Barca84 said:
But if he does that isn't there the danger he'll be susceptible to confirmation bias
Yep, much more scientifically sound to remain ignorant about the history of racism.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
How many men would it take to down a silverback gorilla in a fist fight?

I say 50

Mailo

I didn't know learning a language was directly comparable with your IQ in general and/or on the pitch.

As I said. Evidence suggests otherwise.

Kopral Jono

Throwing accusations around, without little to no evidence to back them up, is not the best way going forward. But at the same time I do think there are racial undertones in some, though not all, criticism levelled at Lukaku in this forum.

It really is that simple.

Sylar

Good points.

The thing with Bale is that he is white therefore calling him a monkey, as unpleasant as that may be, is not racist. It's not a racial slur.
Which is unfortunate that decriptions and comparisons, no matter how close, in 2018 / 2019 are seen like this. We have defo devolved no matter what anybody says. Its almost like you expect this.

In todays society skin colour shouldnt matter but unfortunately it does. And we are living in times where it sometimes seems like its encouraged by governments (eg you have Trump in charge saying a lot of the shit he does, getting away with it, and then encouraging his followers to do so / not condemning them).

I get the anger over racial slurs, but its sad that words like lazy should be avoided when describing somebody due to their appearance (even if its the most accurate term).

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
But if he does that isn't there the danger he'll be susceptible to confirmation bias and start making idiotic threads?
Nope. He'd just realise what a daft question he'd asked. So you think confronting racial stereotyping is idiotic? This is interesting.

Stats showed Berbatov dramatically upped his work rate and became on of the players that covered the most distance. Yet people continued to call him lazy for years. If he'd been black wouldn't someone like yourself call this "casual racism?"
He wasn't black. What an odd question.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If you're gonna make an issue out of everything based on historical biases then you will find hidden slurs everywhere. When people are angry they often make slurs and hurl abuses that they don't literally mean. People call Matic "Static Matic", doesn't mean they actually believe he's incapable of movement. You are bringing racism into it due to your own skewed and biased view of things. Sometimes a little common sense goes a long way in preventing unnecessary issues.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
The op is spot on. There are still huge issues regarding POC in sports and people refusing to acknowledge it, are part of the problem. I can only suggest people watch some interviews with Lukaku or read his article in the players tribune. That’s not a dumb person at all. He’s quite intelligent. On and off the field. Pogba, Lukaku, Sterling and many others suffer hugely from racist stereotypes.

Josep Dowling

And they're off.....:rolleyes:
Not quite sure what kind of response that is really. You are the one assuming criticism of Lukaku is being racist. Can people not criticise his ability because of the colour of his skin?

Whilst it clear there is still racism in football, I can't see how its unfair that a striker who has put on weight and admitted it can't be called an overweight idiot when his performances have gone completely downhill.