The "lazy black player" stereotype

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Because they give people so much ammunition to do so. Rashford especially with his brainless head-down-run-fast style, atrocious finishing and decision making.
Yes now check his assists stats.

redIndianDevil

Rashford and Martial are often labelled as unintelligent.
Martial is intelligent, his detractors call him lazy because of his demeanor, which I think is bullshit, he is just another attacker who hates running up and down the pitch like a workhorse.

Rashford is pretty unintelligent with the ball but is the exact opposite of lazy.

Cassidy

You obviously think they are used disproportionally, so fair enough, though I suspect it's confirmation bias. I honestly don't see any evidence that black players are targeted any more or less. A quick google of "Lazy Premier League player" for example brings up articles about Lukaku, Morata, Bent, Ozil, Luiz, Shaquiri, Podolski, Mahrez, Chicharito. That's obviously not proof of anything either, but there you go.
Do a proper analysis then get back to me, and the comment wasn't about lazy it was about 3 categories:

Lazy
Attitude problems
Unintelligent.

Cassidy

Martial is intelligent, his detractors call him lazy because of his demeanor, which I think is bullshit, he is just another attacker who hates running up and down the pitch like a workhorse.

Rashford is pretty unintelligent with the ball but is the exact opposite of lazy.
Martial is called unintelligent on this forum let alone outside it

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This isn't to discount the wider problem of racism in football @Barca84 as there's certainly a discussion to be had. Also the person comparing Lukaku to a gorilla should of course be banned. It isn't even ignoring the issue of racism directed solely at Romelu Lukaku, for instance the huge penis song, or the Everton board member (I think) who made a joke about Lukaku (a Belgian!) engaging in voodoo.

My point is, there's plenty of obviously racist stuff you could have made a thread about, and you wouldn't even need to look any further than Lukaku himself. I just think you picked a weird example since there's clearly some truth in it, and a lot of people who believe it to be the case. Thus you're going to find more people digging their heels in, and using it as evidence of "people finding racism in everything". The more accusations get thrown around based on cases like this where it isn't necessarily warranted, the more people chalk it up to 'PC gone mad'. I just don't know if it's the best way to get people around to your side.

witchtrials

Again missing the point.
Now look at the majority of black players in the league and see if there is a common trend when they are not performing.

One of 3 things are said:

Lazy
Attitude problem
Unintelligent
Spot on.

Shark

@NotShark
The post the OP @Barca84 referred to in the Lukaku thread in obviously out of line. However it’s a fecking minority, by a country mile in that thread. So long as the PC crowd constantly stirr this makeshift pot, promoting every single critical comment on a black person as racist, we will never evolve on the topic. Reprehensible human beings exist and always will exist, including the recent filth that racially abused Sterling. It doesn’t mean it’s happening across the board and white players aren’t also receiving the exact same comments regularly. Let’s concentrate on stamping out the actual racism.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Problem with the OP is that the gorilla comment has been overlooked by claiming any criticism of Lukaku has been underpinned by racism which I totally disagree with.

Pogba has definitely been a victim of indirect and institutional racism - Lukaku not so much.

shaky

Do a proper analysis then get back to me, and the comment wasn't about lazy it was about 3 categories:

Lazy
Attitude problems
Unintelligent.
I was just using a quick example. If you have actually done a proper analysis then I'd be delighted to hear it. Otherwise, like me, you have nothing more than pointless anecdotal evidence to support your theory.

Member 93275

Know what would be racist? If we can joke about and criticize Phil Jones but not Lukaku.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The post the OP @Barca84 referred to in the Lukaku thread in obviously out of line. However it’s a fecking minority, by a country mile in that thread. So long as the PC crowd constantly stirr this makeshift pot, promoting every single critical comment on a black person as racist, we will never evolve on the topic. Reprehensible human beings exist and always will exist, including the recent filth that racially abused Sterling. It doesn’t mean it’s happening across the board and white players aren’t also receiving the exact same comments regularly. Let’s concentrate on stamping out the actual racism.
:lol:

Thank goodness we have good people like yourself focusing on the real actual racism.

redIndianDevil

Martial is called unintelligent on this forum let alone outside it
It would be a very small minority. I'm a huge fan of Martial and often hang around his performance thread, the most criticism he gets is that he doesn't look interested or doesn't look like he is giving it all. It's his demeanor that puts off some people who like to see "pashun" and run through brickwalls for the team. Our entire squad apart from De Gea looks unintelligent to me this season so may be that what you picked up on.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
I must admit I've never seen a stereotype that black players are lazy. But it must happen otherwise it wouldnt be mentioned.

But I'm interested in more animal comparisons and whether they have the same reaction?

From the top of my head I've heard players be called, deers/gazelles for their elegance and long stride.

Donkey - for their work ethic and clumsiness

Pitbull - for theur tenaciousness and never day die attitude.

I've even heard a player be called a panther, sitting between defence lines ready to pounce.

Is there more?

Not every comparison is meant in a negative way. But obviously if it is perceived negatively then apologies need to be made

SteveTheRed

Agreed. Obviously racism has no place in football/sport/life in general, but we're never going to get past it if people are clutching at straws to turn any comment about a non-white player into a racist one.
Yep it's ridiculous, I personally don't think Lukaku is a lazy character but I can see why some would say especially recently. He just looks demotivated to me, lacking confidence. He has been lazy recently but last season he was chasing players down, remember him running back the whole pitch and making a tackle at our own corner flag!

Cassidy

I was just using a quick example. If you have actually done a proper analysis then I'd be delighted to hear it. Otherwise, like me, you have nothing more than pointless anecdotal evidence to support your theory.
There was even a documentary about it about a week ago. Again though stick to scoring points instead of listening and understanding.

Green_Red

It's a sad then when someone thinks calling someone lazy has anything to do with race. Calling someone a Gorilla is disgusting though.

redIndianDevil

Problem with the OP is that the gorilla comment has been overlooked by claiming any criticism of Lukaku has been underpinned by racism which I totally disagree with.

Pogba has definitely been a victim of indirect and institutional racism - Lukaku not so much.
Exactly this. I don't know where the OP was when Pogba went through so much last season and this season, even the pundits and press are constantly on his back questioning the mentality of a world cup winner.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I must admit I've never seen a stereotype that black players are lazy. But it must happen otherwise it wouldnt be mentioned.

But I'm interested in more animal comparisons and whether they have the same reaction?

From the top of my head I've heard players be called, deers/gazelles for their elegance and long stride.

I've even heard a player be called a panther, sitting between defence lines ready to pounce.

Is there more?
I've called Mourinho a snake.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
For those who didn't see the post here it is. Shocking.

Imagine a silverback gorilla being unleashed onto the Anfield pitch today? He’d be a spitting image of Lukaku - running around brainless without a bloody clue what to do, kicking the ball a mile ahead, misjudging headers and volleys. The guy has become a Premier League laughing stock for opposition supporters.

He has that much muscle under his overly large shirt and shorts that it makes him look fat and overweight.

He was reminiscent of Usain Bolt in the first 3 months at United, not he’s as slow as Heskey and Akinfenwa.

Green_Red

I haven't seen the post, but comparing him to a gorilla is obviously an issue, even if not meant with any intent, it's basic sensitivity. It just shouldn't be done, for a multitude of reasons. Main one being - it's racist as feck.

But, individually, Lukaku being described as lazy isn't completely baseless stereotyping. Don't the stats actually back up his lack of movement, sprints, distance covered etc? even last season before he packed on the muscle.

Are black players generally stereotyped as lazy? I thought it was usually the opposite? Words like "athletic" and "powerful" and "big and strong" tend to be used to describe some. Rashford, Welbeck, Kante are often lauded for workrate over their overall technique. Pogba and Martial are often lauded for their technique but lack of workrate etc. I agree with posts above that intelligence, or lack of, is often banded around where black players are concerned, and that certainly seems to be a negative stereotype.
Dare not use the word specimen to describe anyone athletic that isn't white either...

Cassidy

It would be a very small minority. I'm a huge fan of Martial and often hang around his performance thread, the most criticism he gets is that he doesn't look interested or doesn't look like he is giving it all. It's his demeanor that puts off some people who like to see "pashun" and run through brickwalls for the team. Our entire squad apart from De Gea looks unintelligent to me this season so may be that what you picked up on.
usually the case with racism/ignorant stereotyping conscious or unconscious no?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I really hope this black v white racism nuance is sorted out soon so us turban wearing, curry and rice eating, physically inferior brownies can get a look in. :lol:

redIndianDevil

Did Zlatan get the same criticism though?

He covered even less distance than Lukaku and Martial when he was here!

https://www.skysports.com/football/...bottom-of-premier-league-for-distance-covered
Ibra was about 34 years old when he played for us and was scoring goals so it didn't matter. Even Lukaku didn't get the criticism he gets this season for his first touch last year because he was scoring goals and playing well. believe me if Ibra wasn't playing well, he'd have been called lazy too.

shaky

There was even a documentary about it about a week ago. Again though stick to scoring points instead of listening and understanding.
So agreeing with your take on things is "listening and understanding" but to question the lack of evidence for your take on things is cheap point scoring? Haha. that's one way to try and close down a debate i suppose.

Cassidy

Ibra was about 34 years old when he played for us and was scoring goals so it didn't matter. Even Lukaku didn't get the criticism he gets this season for his first touch last year because he was scoring goals and playing well. believe me if Ibra wasn't playing well, he'd have been called lazy too.
Didn't he go on a baron run missing sitters week after week

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Is there more?

Not every comparison is meant in a negative way. But obviously if it is perceived negatively then apologies need to be made
Donkeys are sure footed animals, very prudent and they can take massive workload.

Bola

I find that a lot of groups and advocates of 'anti-racism' or 'equality' are only in it for a certain group and are not looking to remove racism/ discrimination across the board

One example is the accusations of institutional racism when it comes to managerial positions, using 'under representation' stats. Yet when it comes to players in the Prem, I believe the stats show that certain ethnic groups* are 'over-represented'** with the implication that 'white'* players are under represented. Where are the calls off institutional racism, racial stereotyping and advocates of measures like the Rooney rule?

Seems discrimination can only work one way for some groups and organisations

* I hate dividing people into broad boxes base on so-called racial differences, but have to use this PC parlance to make my point

** I don't subscribe to this idea of under/ over representation by ethnic group. As alluded to above, categorizing people based on skin colour (or other factor) is daft. Best person for the job in my view

Last edited:

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
This isn't to discount the wider problem of racism in football @Barca84 as there's certainly a discussion to be had. Also the person comparing Lukaku to a gorilla should of course be banned. It isn't even ignoring the issue of racism directed solely at Romelu Lukaku, for instance the huge penis song, or the Everton board member (I think) who made a joke about Lukaku (a Belgian!) engaging in voodoo.

My point is, there's plenty of obviously racist stuff you could have made a thread about, and you wouldn't even need to look any further than Lukaku himself. I just think you picked a weird example since there's clearly some truth in it, and a lot of people who believe it to be the case. Thus you're going to find more people digging their heels in, and using it as evidence of "people finding racism in everything". The more this happens on cases like this where it isn't necessarily warranted, the more people chalk it up to 'pc gone mad'. I just don't know if it's the best way to have this discussion.
I picked Lukaku in response to the gorilla jibe discussed. That precipitated this thread as did a trawl through the comments in his player performance thread which is a pretty ugly read at times.

I don't know what's "clear" about this supposed laziness. Others here have mentioned other perspectives on this. What is interesting is the rush of a mob to label him as lazy, and dumb, and how that fits into a historical narrative and the language that is used. So I'd say it's most certainly warranted and the "pc gone mad" brigade are just a noise. Once you let them shut down the debate you're in trouble.

Cassidy

So agreeing with your take on things is "listening and understanding" but to question the lack of evidence for your take on things is cheap point scoring? Haha. that's one way to try and close down a debate i suppose.
No you suggesting I don't have any evidence, it is there for you to go and find if you do the research, or even go and watch the documentary about it. Suggesting Im talking without evidence is what I find rude. The only one here talking without having done the research between me and you, is you.

Why argue your point having not bothered to look into it?

Bola

The criticism of Martial reminds me of Berbatov.

Truly class player, but drew a lot of criticism for when things wern't going well because of his body language and demeanour

Mailo

Well... He talks the talk, but evidence on the pitch suggests otherwise... that he is a bit thick - mentally and physically.

There's no grace about him at all, and this is quite obvious. The Real game comes to mind, where he chased a ball from offside position, while a teammate in a better position run was ruined. Remember Kroos laughing at him? Embarrassing.

Classical Mechanic

I didn't enjoy Ibra either tbh. Not a fan of the big lump up top, for want of a better phrase.

Donkeys are sure footed animals, very prudent and they can take massive workload.
Athletes would generally be considered stallions or studs with the donkey being the poor relation.

RedDevil@84

Being from Asia, I have never really understood why players (or for that matter anyone) can be called donkeys and other animals, but then there is a generic taboo around calling any names that belong to the ape category. So in that context, I don't really get more horrified when someone gets called gorilla as opposed to a donkey or a dog.

But then people need to understand the cultural taboos on a public forum where there are people from all around the world and not throw words around.

shaky

No you suggesting I don't have any evidence, it is there for you to go and find if you do the research, or even go and watch the documentary about it. Suggesting Im talking without evidence is what I find rude. The only one here talking without having done the research between me and you, is you.

Why argue your point having not bothered to look into it?
So you have the evidence? What is it then? Does it prove that black players are criticised over certain aspects more than white players? I'd be happy to change my opinion if such evidence actually exists.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Well... He talks the talk, but evidence on the pitch suggests otherwise... that he is a bit thick - mentally and physically.
Wikipedia said:
In addition to his native French and Dutch, Lukaku can speak fluent English, Portuguese, Spanish and a Congolese Swahili dialect, and can also understand German.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The gorilla comment precipitated this wider discussion of casual racism and black player stereotypes eg prized for their athletic ability and physical prowess but also lialble to be called lazy and dumb.

it's been going on since the days of slavery
I think in this particular case it is very hard to distinguish racism from opinions that aren't based on stereotypes (well, at least majorly since nobody is free of them of course). The laziness part exemplarily is of course total bullshit and personally I haven't come across it too often. If anything, Black players are referred to as powerhouses more often, at least here in Germany. However, it is a fact that Black people are physically stronger than many other ethnicities on average, too, and this also affects their style of playing football.

Regarding the game intelligence part: I think this is more complicated. Xavi, whom many consider one of if not the most intelligent player to play the game, said that he learned to play that way because he had to make due with what he had. He was never an exceptional athlete, never strong and never the most tricky player. He couldn't compensate bad touches or decisions by outsprinting his opponent or fending him off with upper body strength. He had to always pay attention to not maneuver himself into situations where there was no easy solution and make sure that every first touch was clean and thought through. Compare that exemplarily to Pogba. He has got all the skills in the world but he still often relies on his physical strength. A great player but most would probably agree that he could utiize his abilities even better if his decision making, concentration and spatial awareness was better. You could argue that he never had to face the problems Xavi encountered when he was formed as a player and that he thus never trained his positioning, decision making and "technical consistency" as much as the Spaniard did. Or Lukaku. Compare him with a real fox in the box like Inzaghi or van Nistelrooy. Of course he never really had to learn this type of movement because he could consistently win physical duels with the CBs all of his life in stark contrast to players like that. It is very are that a player combines both worlds and if he does he is usually among the very best in the world. Exemplarily Ronaldo, who exceeds physically and also has the exceptional movement in the box.

And this is not only a thing with Black players. There are physically stronger and smaller ethnicities, it is no racism to point that out and it influences the way players of these groups develop. Take exemplarily German and English players who for years or even decades consisted primarily of hard working, dynamic, direct and physical types like Ballack, Lampard or Gerrard. Only after they purposely adjusted their youth systems to a more technical style, players like Kroos, Özil, Wilshere or now Kimmich, Foden etc. emerged at a much higher frequency. So there is also a cultural component. Here stereotypes come into play again because maybe Black youth players fall victim to self-fullfilling prophecies. All of this makes it incredible hard to distinguish between racism and valid opinions.

You can also see it at the Yaya accusations against Pep. Guardiola prefers technically clean, not necessarily technically spectactular players with a low center of gravity in his midfields. I can think of very few Black midfielders that fit to this description and those who do Guardiola would take in an instance - Kante in particular. That's not racist, it is just a preference of a certain player type some ethnicities are more likely to produce. For me that's also what makes international football so exciting. You always have teams that exceed in some areas of the game and are weak in others.