Gaming The Legend of Zelda | Earthquake: "It's actually ridiculously good, and keeps getting better." ★★★★★

RedLars

OoT was and still is the pinnacle of console gaming.

Majora's Mask was shit though, I hate any game like that where you are fecking about with the time and going forward and back and it's a pain in the ass.
You crazy man! Majora's Mask is definitiely OoT's equal, but in a completely different way. I think we've covered that extensively earlier in this thread though.

Insanely hyped for the new game. Can barely wait, but I'll have to lay off it until I've finished my exams. Will spend christmas playing it though!

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
OoT was and still is the pinnacle of console gaming.

Majora's Mask was shit though, I hate any game like that where you are fecking about with the time and going forward and back and it's a pain in the ass.
You are talking absolute and total horseshit.

kps88

10/10 - IGN.

Can't remember the last time I read a review on IGN that was so over the top with praise. Maybe OoT.

Screw Skyrim. I'm going to play this first.

Lance Uppercut

Elaborate please Lance, I've only read the Edge and IGN reviews, both seemed very complimentary.
Giant Bomb:

Designer Shigeru Miyamoto once said "the first 30 minutes of a game is the most important," and Skyward Sword fails to pass that test. It takes several hours before you're given any sense of real freedom, which is too bad, as the game manages to merge the sublime openness of the sea from Wind Waker (without the Triforce madness!) with the directed fun of most other games, as it's easy to just keep moving forward without much fuss. And by the time you start seeing what the designers really have in store for you..., you actually don't want it to stop, even if you're able to constantly, cynically predict when the game will ask you to find just One More Thing before it's all over.

Gamepro:

Skyward Sword​ is absolutely packed with content. There's hardly any fluff to be found in the 35 hours or so it takes to complete the main quest, outside of the typically sluggish opening scenes. But I feel like Zelda should be going back to its roots and becoming less linear, rather than moreso. It's a curious decision, and I'm not sure it'll sit particularly well with longtime Zelda fans.

1UP:

While the developers made a conscious effort to shake things up with new ideas and implementations, the game falls into a weird middle ground filled with genuine surprises, inessential carry-overs, and copy/paste quest structures. That said, I still believe this to be one of the more admirable chapters of the series, even if at times it feels the developers were unsure of which sacred cows to keep and which to sacrifice.

kps88

The ones that matter on Metacritic have all been very complimentary. There are a few 8.5s about on sites I've never heard off.

EDIT: Just saw Lance's post. Interesting. What's a Giant Bomb?

Member 39557

Giant Bomb:

Gamepro:

1UP:
I read the gamepro review, on the whole it was still quite complimentary. The reviewer even stated that after battling enemies with the wiimote, she's started playing Skyrim and it feels like her hands are tied behind her back.

Enemies encounters are now like a puzzle of sorts, where simply swinging the Wii Remote is apt to result in blocks and even painful counterattacks. The need for a more considered approach is never more apparent than in the first dungeon, which features a boss who mocks and chastises your swordplay as you try to break his defenses. It's frustrating at first, but once you get the hang of it, normal controllers almost start to feel primitive. I'm playing Skyrim right now, and it feels like my hands are tied behind my back.
The majority of the review scores on metacritic were very high. I think it will be an enjoyable game.

RedLars

In preparation of Friday, this thread needs some rap. Some Legend of Zelda rap, that is:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Not had much time to play it ,but got the sword and did the training.

I'm not sure how old and skillful that gamespot reviewer is, but he's obviously rubbish at life because the sword swings and strikes are more accurate than I thought they'd be. Also the early game is linear so far, but it's a standard Zelda training mission! I'm not sure what people were expecting?

Oh and the graphics are obviously fairly crude but the textures and feel are spot on for a Zelda game :)

izzydiggler

Came in the post today, so will be putting Skyrim down for a few hours at least.

As a huge Zelda fan, I am irrationally excited....in fact why am I on here, rather than playing it?!?

kps88

Wow that was quick. How'd you manage to get it today? I was under the impression it releases tomorrow.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
That gamespot review sounds like someone who's just trying to be controversial for the sake of it, all the other reviews praise the things that one criticizes. Can't wait to play it tomorrow, gonna be hard to drag myself from Skyrim though.

izzydiggler

Wow that was quick. How'd you manage to get it today? I was under the impression it releases tomorrow.
I pre-ordered from Tesco Entertainment - I always get games early. Shop-to are equally good at sending pre-orders.

Redlambs

I've put in around 3hrs and am still on the very first part. Typical Zelda, tons to do (both night and day) and lots of little things to find.

Although I've only fought early enemies, the swordplay is ace. Anyone who says it doesn't work as well as it should either haven't got the wiimote and sensor bar set up right, or are just incredibly ham fisted!

The best thing though, is it's easily the closet to OOT from the off. It just feels more like a Zelda gmae than either WW or TP did this early on. I hope the rest of the game is like it :D

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Received the limited edition pack earlier today. I've cleared the first temple but I still need to get used to playing it with the wii controller, only played TP on the Gamecube.

The soundtrack is ace.

Drainy

Oh and that idiot reviewer is wrong about the skydiving too. A little finesse is all that's required!
The Gamespot reviewers are all utter morons. They fail at playing the games and then blame the game for not making it easy enough for them to win.

One of their reviewers is one of only three people Ive ever stopped following on twitter after seeing the utter shit they tweet out.

Redlambs

Got mine today but realised my friend has my Motion+ so I can't play it yet :lol: :(

Oh well, at least I can listen to the CD :D
You should love it. It just feels like a Zelda, much more so than TP.

The Gamespot reviewers are all utter morons. They fail at playing the games and then blame the game for not making it easy enough for them to win.

One of their reviewers is one of only three people Ive ever stopped following on twitter after seeing the utter shit they tweet out.
Since the internet, a lot of things have got better, a few worse. One of these is people's opinions and how they are twisted by common perception. Games reviewers are unique to any other media critic, in such they need to actually be good at something to give an even more balanced review. The simple fact this moron can't even set his Wii up right in the first place, then slags the game for his limitations shows how anyone with even the smallest hint of self importance can have a big voice. 99% of the time, for the worst.

Next week he'll give some fps 9/10 because he's mastered the art of pointing a cursor and pressing a button to shoot.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Things were so much simpler before the Internet.

I remember suscribing to Total magazine as a child and taking every word they said as gospel. I will never forget the front cover of one magazine which just had 99 on the front. They had given super Mario all stars (SNES) 99% in their review. I remember dreaming about that game for fecking months and months before Xmas finally came and I got it.

Redlambs

Things were so much simpler befor the Internet.

I remember suscribing to Total magazine as a child and taking every word they said as gospel. I will never forget the front cover of one magazine which just had 99 on the front. They had given super Mario all stars (SNES) 99% in their review. I remember dreaming about that game for fecking months and months before Xmas finally came and I got it.
Mario Allstars (the one with Super Mario World included) is one of those rare games that deserves the highest marks :)