Gaming The Legend of Zelda | Earthquake: "It's actually ridiculously good, and keeps getting better." ★★★★★

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Mario Allstars (the one with Super Mario World included) is one of those rare games that deserves the highest marks :)
The Mario all stars we got in England didn't include Super Mario world mate. We just got the first three NES games updated with SNES graphics plus the original Japanese version of Mario 2 known as the lost levels. Still a top top game though.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
The Mario all stars we got in England didn't include Super Mario world mate. We just got the first three NES games updated with SNES graphics plus the original Japanese version of Mario 2 known as the lost levels. Still a top top game though.
We did get the full version as I got in when I got a SNES a few years on.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Nope, I still have it in PAL. It may have been a limited edition or something though, because I know the main retail version doesn't have it.

Drainy

That was fair I thought, very ballsy from gamespot. They haven't bothered updating the Zelda formula in over decades so I don't see why it should be given a high score by default.
Each game needs to be judged on their own merits, IMO. If differentiation is a part of a review it should have knocked it down by no more than .5 because the Zelda formula has spawned some of the best games ever made..

If this precedent is carried forward I expect the next Halo to get no more than a 6, the next GTA to get a 6.5 etc unless they have had overhauls.

Redlambs

That was fair I thought, very ballsy from gamespot. They haven't bothered updating the Zelda formula in over decades so I don't see why it should be given a high score by default.
No one is saying it should, hell I might even score it lower by the time I finish it.

My gripe is not just the fact the main gameplay things hes can't seem to handle (the swordplay and the skydiving) work fine, it's the whole tone of it seems to miss the point of a Zelda game. If you are going to critic something, you should at least try to get it.

Oh and the formulae doesn't change a great deal, because there's no need to. They've got a great balance between keeping the fans happy, and introducing new comers to the world without putting anyone off. That is perhaps harder than throwing new features hoping it will stick.

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
I look forward to them treating the likes of FIFA, Call of Duty, Gran Turismo in the same way.

Redlambs

I look forward to them treating the likes of FIFA, Call of Duty, Gran Turismo in the same way.
I look forward to them saying "the control issues are many. There are times when I pushed left on the analogue stick and Rooney just stood there. Also aiming is done via the infrared thus shite - comment later to be removed by the editor"

At least be right about what you are saying, not just a pleb who hasn't mastered the art of controlling your arm and wrist without flailing about.

Ray Peterson

Reserve Team Player
Any updates on this? I've played it for a couple of hours and just got to the first dungeon bit. Really enjoying it so far.

I read about a bug today, so be careful if you're quite far into the game. The author can't help making a few digs!

You won’t need a bug-catching net to scoop up game-breaking bugs in action-adventure game The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, which Nintendo released for Wii last month. One recently-discovered glitch can leave your save file completely unplayable, but Nintendo has told players how to avoid it.

Getting the bug would force you to revert to an earlier save file (which, due to Skyward Sword‘s antiquated save system, you will not have unless you manually duplicated an older file onto an SD card) or restart the game from the beginning, losing all of your progress. The section in question occurs around 30 hours into Skyward Sword.

Mild Skyward Sword spoilers, and the bug fix, are below.

At a certain point toward the end of the game, while collecting pieces of a certain Song, you’re tasked with visiting the Fire, Water and Thunder Dragons in any order you choose. If you visit the Thunder Dragon first — and speak to a certain Goron adventurer more than once — you’ll find that you can no longer trigger the Fire and Water Dragon events.

In an e-mail sent to fans, which the site Zelda Informer obtained Monday, Nintendo’s Sharon Matheny apologizes for the glitch and explains how it can be avoided. The best way to be sure you won’t break your game is to complete the Fire and Water Dragon sections before starting the Thunder Dragon.

The Wii’s online infrastructure gives Nintendo no way of patching its games, so this is something that you’ll want to be careful to avoid, unless you want your game to go on forever but not in a fun Skyrim sort of way.

kps88

You're telling me if a Wii game is fundamentally broken and stops players from progressing, they have no way of patching it?

starman

I got a Wii when it first came out and am sure there were constant updates for it? The guys console has probably been modded.

Anyway, i am gonna pick up a wii in the next couple of day just for Zelda(my own personal xmas present).Hopefully it can recapture the days of playing Ocarina of Time :drool::(

Woodzy

It's strange one, I haven't played it for two weeks but I was really enjoying it. I'd just finished the first dungeon and beat the boss which I thought was a really refreshing first boss compared to the usual, but I haven't picked it up since.

Redlambs

I've been playing it sparingly to make it last, but as per usual with a Zelda it really starts opening up when you start getting the cool gadgets and start exploring with them.

One area where it definitely beats OOT is the amount of NPC interactions and how they play out, there's never a dull running across a large field never meeting anyone moment :)

RedLars

Great!

Got the game Saturday and I'm through the first three dungeons now. Very good so far, the only thing annoying me so far is that I want to know more, more, more about the story! I'm just being impatient though as they always gradually build on it, but I thought it would've been nice to know a bit more about what the purpose of the quest actually is. Feels like more like you're doing it to discover the purpose at this point!

Some of the new puzzles had me going insane, and then really embarassed for taking an hour to figure them out. A ridiculous eye in the first dungeon probably had me occupied for an hour before I realized how to "beat" it! And I don't remember ever having such a hard time with Skulltulas before as I did when I first encountered one this time around!

JazzG

Resident Arse.
I'm tempted to buy a Wii just so I can play this game!

The COD games are pretty much all the same so how come they get high scores?

[edit] Seen others have pointed that out already!

Redlambs

I'm tempted to buy a Wii just so I can play this game!

The COD games are pretty much all the same so how come they get high scores?

[edit] Seen others have pointed that out already!
That gamespot review was written by a complete tosser and was full of errors. It's almost as if he saw some youtube videos and read fanboy opinions on the technology then decided to review it.

It's a great game and does eclipse both Windwaker and Twilight Princess.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Finally completed it after having been putting off the final boss for a while due to Skyrim. It's the first game in a while that really felt like a proper Zelda game. There were some elements from TP, WW but also from the whole series and it still managed to feel fresh. The difficulty level was very satisfying, can't remember the last time I died so many times in a Zelda game before.

The story was very engrossing but it felt like they could have done the whole sky area a bit better. Never really bothered with bugs, upgrading and all that. Apparently you could help loads of people but I only spotted a few and the NPC's in general weren't that memorable.

RedMist99

Jesus Christ I've been trying to kill this first Skultulla for about 15 minutes. Pissing me right off!

Edit: About 10 seconds later I do it!

Seems like a good game so far

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Jesus Christ I've been trying to kill this first Skultulla for about 15 minutes. Pissing me right off!

Edit: About 10 seconds later I do it!

Seems like a good game so far
The one in the first temple? Was a right bitch and I died twice trying to figure out how to kill it.

I liked Groose btw, stuff like "The Legend of Groose" amused me more than it should have.

Drainy

They say a fool and his money are easily parted.. I bought a 3ds and only bought the Ocarina of Time remake so far.. and I got the nostalgic geeky feeling seeing that.. soooo Nintendo you know what to do! :lol:

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
"We haven't quite decided yet, whether we're going to do A Link to the Past, because there's also the possibility of doing a remake of Majora's Mask," Miyamoto told me in an interview at E3 last week. "This is something we've certainly been talking about and doing a little bit of experimenting with, to figure out which way we're going to go."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/12/zelda-3ds-its-majoras-mask-vs-link-to-the-past

:)

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I was really disappointed in Majora's Mask. Ocarina is possibly my favorite game all time, but I couldn't get anywhere in MM, the day would reset and starting over felt pretty discouraging. Probably not the best way to make a game.

But if they remade it in a more playable way, I might be interested. I still need to play all the Zelda's after MM, but I can't see myself buying a Nintendo system just for that.

Pretty dumb people use inferior computers than the ones the surf the web with to play video games.

kps88

I really enjoyed Majora's Mask when it came out and considered it my fav Zelda, but I tried replaying it a few months back and just couldn't get into it. Ocarina has aged better.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I was really disappointed in Majora's Mask. Ocarina is possibly my favorite game all time, but I couldn't get anywhere in MM, the day would reset and starting over felt pretty discouraging. Probably not the best way to make a game.

But if they remade it in a more playable way, I might be interested. I still need to play all the Zelda's after MM, but I can't see myself buying a Nintendo system just for that.

Pretty dumb people use inferior computers than the ones the surf the web with to play video games.

Not taking issue with how you feel about it but given time you'll see that the fact that the day resets is part of the beauty of the game.

You'll notice on some days characters doing some pretty odd things but you ignore them because you are on another quest, then once you've mastered that quest you might chose to follow that character the next day or once the days have reset and a whole new area of the game opens up.

Thats the genius of it. You really should give it another try.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
I'm not usually a fan of remakes, to me it seems a cheap way of milking a game for all its worth. However I never got round to playing MM so would definitely give it a go on WiiU

humdinger

I really do miss playing Nintendo games, not enough to buy another Wii or DS though
I bought a wii basically purely because of zelda and mario. Haven't played either in ages but I'm really glad I bought them as I love these games and could spend days playing them!