Gaming The Legend of Zelda | Earthquake: "It's actually ridiculously good, and keeps getting better." ★★★★★

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I remember spending hours trying to beat Bongo Bongo. I just kept shooting arrows at him. Probably my most frustrating moment playing the game.
Touché. I remember battling that bastard back in 1998 when internet access was scarce and online game guides hardly existed.

These days you can google a boss battle and have it beat in no time. Back in the day it took me fecking ages to work out how to beat him.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I've just spent hours soft modding my Wii so I can run games from my USB stick.

Gonna get Skyward Sword, get my Zelda fix until WWHD next month on the Wii U. If I play more than a few hours then I'll buy it.

WWHD, then ALTTP and then a new Zelda U game next year.

Alock1

Skyward Sword is awesome. I'm going to have to order it to not feel guilty, if I can find a new copy to buy - probably not? Unless it's a digital download on Wii U but I'm 99% sure it isn't.

I love the motion controls for it.. really enjoy the combat system.

My first 'classic knob head zelda game moment' came where you win the wing competition, and have to jump off that tower infront of Zelda and land in the small circle. feck, that was annoying.

Classic Nintendo/Zelda that is, a part which should be incredibly easy and doable by a child and I just can't fecking do it however long I spend trying. Wankers.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Skyward Sword is awesome. I'm going to have to order it to not feel guilty, if I can find a new copy to buy - probably not? Unless it's a digital download on Wii U but I'm 99% sure it isn't.
You'll be able to find a new copy no problem.

BTW, this site has an offer on the game currently for £13.95 - www.thegamecollection.net/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-wii-import.html

I'm assuming it's that cheap because it's an import, but it says it's PAL and going from the picture it's the Australian version so it'll play alright on your Wii.

Alock1

You'll be able to find a new copy no problem.

BTW, this site has an offer on the game currently for £13.95 - www.thegamecollection.net/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-wii-import.html

I'm assuming it's that cheap because it's an import, but it says it's PAL and going from the picture it's the Australian version so it'll play alright on your Wii.
Brilliant, thanks for that. Just checked the website out on TrustPilot too since I've never used them and it's got brilliant reviews.

Not that I think you would give me some dodgy site which you set up yourself and any money gained fraudulently gets put towards a Wii U. I definitely do think that.

I can't wait for a Wii U version of Zelda. The gamepad looks to work great as a companion for WWHD in that you can have the map and your inventory accessed at all times, plus you can use it as like a 1st person camera screen for certain weapons, and then use the gyroscope to aim rather than the sticks. It'll be interesting to see what direction they go in terms of controls; like I say, I really enjoy the motion control combat of Skyward Sword. Although this would allow for the Gamepad to concentrate on being a companion screen as opposed to Off-TV play, you could argue it wouldn't make use of it's potential. Plus, perhaps over time I'll get bored of the motion control aspect; right now though it doesn't feel like novelty which will wear off, it feels like genuine intuitive controls.

I would love to be given the choice to swap freely and use both whenever I wish - I'm not sure how doable that would be though since there are so many aspects to the game that involve some learning process and tutorial.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Not that I think you would give me some dodgy site which you set up yourself and any money gained fraudulently gets put towards a Wii U. I definitely do think that.
Hmmm I never thought of that... :cool:

I need to buy another Motion Plus sometime so I can carry on with the game, I've put it off long enough.

Alock1

Hmmm I never thought of that... :cool:

I need to buy another Motion Plus sometime so I can carry on with the game, I've put it off long enough.
How far in did you get?

How do you think the motion controls fair in comparison by the way?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
How far in did you get?

How do you think the motion controls fair in comparison by the way?
Not that far, I think maybe the volcano, can't remember that well though.

I remember thinking the controls were perfectly fine, I can specifically remember the Gamespot reviewer had an issue with them and I didn't see where he was coming from at all.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Released tomorrow isn't it! I'm working in London so will pick it up in my lunch break.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Mine has been dispatched today but I won't be in Kraków to pick it up until Monday/Tuesday.

Zen

Amazon are bastards. Free Release Day Delivery my ass. This and Xbone Battlefield 4 come tomorrow. ><

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Ok, after 30 mins of playing so far, my advice would be to use headphones and do not spoil your experience by playing it on 2D, this game deserves to be played on 3D.

Woodzy

Wind Waker HD and that new 3DS game, do something new and fresh ffs.
They probably are...

The turnaround time on Zelda games has always been long, and nearly always do they turn out to be amazing.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Just picked it up. So excited to play. Pokemon is taking a backseat.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Going for the triple post, but this new game is fantastic so far, and the renting system isn't as annoying as I thought it would be.

Also the cut scenes when you go from one world to another was one of my favourite Zelda moments ever. Its trippy as.

Castia

Iv been a gamer for over 20 years and have never played a Zelda game....how fecked up is that. I'll buy the latest one this week and see if I like it.

Revan

Assumptionman
Iv been a gamer for over 20 years and have never played a Zelda game....how fecked up is that. I'll buy the latest one this week and see if I like it.
In the same situation here (well, a bit less than 20 years). Ocarina of Times is unanimously regarded as the best game of all time (it is usually rated even higher than the likes of FF6, FF7, Baldur's Gate 2, Half Life, Deus Ex etc), and it is a bit of shame to not have played it.

Alock1

In the same situation here (well, a bit less than 20 years). Ocarina of Times is unanimously regarded as the best game of all time (it is usually rated even higher than the likes of FF6, FF7, Baldur's Gate 2, Half Life, Deus Ex etc), and it is a bit of shame to not have played it.
Then.. play it? :D

Zen

Get a 3DS and get the two Zeldas for it. At worst you'll only lose about £10 considering resale value is excellent for 3DS games. They just had the White Mario Kart 3DS XL on Amazon for £130 on a lightning deal, keep an eye out on there.

Majora's Mask will be the next remake. Not confirmed but teased enough, and it'll make a crapload of money for little effort(compared to say remaking the first few -which would also make a fair bit for them, but would require the efforts and money of pretty much making a new game).

Alock1

To expand on this, people should check this site out if they haven't already.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm

Compares 54 different 'Top 10 Video Games of All Time' lists. Zelda: Ocarina of Time is in 37 of 54 Top 10 lists. It also has the highest average placing in the top 10; averaging 2.7.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
To expand on this, people should check this site out if they haven't already.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm

Compares 54 different 'Top 10 Video Games of All Time' lists. Zelda: Ocarina of Time is in 37 of 54 Top 10 lists. It also has the highest average placing in the top 10; averaging 2.7.
CTRL + F "Yoshi's Island"... #115. Shit site.

Alock1

CTRL + F "Yoshi's Island"... #115. Shit site.
:lol:

Well, it's a flawed system; since it's based on top 10s only. A game that consistently just misses out on a lot of those top 10 lists will get mostly ignored. Whereas a game that is placed more sporadically and is in some top 10s but also placed closer to top 50 or 100 in plenty others will get more recognition.

Perhaps Yoshi's Island was at no.11 on all 54 lists, but it doesn't get taken into account.

Sarni

An hour in the new Zelda and I'm enjoying it but by all accounts it's going to get very challenging pretty soon with all the puzzles and looking for dungeons, I guess I'm going to find it slightly frustrating just like I did with Ocarina. I'm a 21st century gamer, I like my games simple. Hopefully I'll fall in love with it though, I wasn't fond of turn based strategies or RPGs and thanks to Fire Emblem and Persona 4 I absolutely adore both now.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
An hour in the new Zelda and I'm enjoying it but by all accounts it's going to get very challenging pretty soon with all the puzzles and looking for dungeons, I guess I'm going to find it slightly frustrating just like I did with Ocarina. I'm a 21st century gamer, I like my games simple. Hopefully I'll fall in love with it though, I wasn't fond of turn based strategies or RPGs and thanks to Fire Emblem and Persona 4 I absolutely adore both now.
I've blasted through, I'm almost at the big boss fight in 2 days, kinda gone into this game deep :lol:

I can see it challenging people new to the series but if you've ayes a lot of games then it isn't too bad. No where near as bad as the other handheld games in the series.

Sarni

So far it's giving me little hints, is it going to keep it that way?

BTW what's with the hint system? Apparently I'll be getting coins for walking with my 3DS through StreetPass that I will be able to use to buy hints, how does that work?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
You get some magic glasses in game were you can see these hint ghosts and use a coin to he some help. I never used them though.

Alock1

You get some magic glasses in game were you can see these hint ghosts and use a coin to he some help. I never used them though.
I salute you, Sir.

You hardcore warrior, you.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
I'm planning on getting Ocarina of Time 3D for Christmas (or around then if now fecker buys it for me!), is that a good place to start for someone who has never played a Zelda game?

Drainy

I'm planning on getting Ocarina of Time 3D for Christmas (or around then if now fecker buys it for me!), is that a good place to start for someone who has never played a Zelda game?

I'd say so, yes. Obviously the game was designed for a controller, but it's a wonderful port of one of the greatest games of all time.