Gaming The Legend of Zelda | Earthquake: "It's actually ridiculously good, and keeps getting better." ★★★★★

Shark

@NotShark
Just asking, why are you selling your PS4? There's been a few decent exclusives on the PS4 in the last few months like Yakuza, Nier, Nioh, Horizon and Persona 5.

I would never sell a Xbox or PS4 to buy a switch unless you got a good gaming PC. As I don't think third party publishers will treat it seriously.
Yeah, it'd be pretty daft to sell a PS4 and buy a Switch as your only console.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Probably struggling because of the cold.

I should get some clothes that can actually stop me freezing, as I have to constantly eat stuff to replace my hearts whenever I'm in a cold place :lol:

caid

I should get some clothes that can actually stop me freezing, as I have to constantly eat stuff to replace my hearts whenever I'm in a cold place :lol:
Did you not get that chest piece in the starting area?
Or can you not just cook some food to make you resistant for a bit? Always seems to be a few ingredients at the start of areas that are cold

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

Have to admire your perseverance. Once I realised certain areas were too cold for me, I knew I had to prepare myself in some ways before going there. You just went ahead with it. :lol:

Drainy

Its funny, I didn't get the cold resistant food or a warm doublet either so I improvised and used a torch that I set on fire.

Wish I'd just used the food or clothing, but it was fun all the same!

NinjaZombie

Heh,
I like the pile of apples for the horse at the end

I need to farm some more guardians for the last piece of armor
Anywhere good other than hyrule castle? (just a bit bored of it)

re emulators - i actually have a pile of games for consoles i dont own anymore and emulate every so often to play.
This game is in a relatively weird position as its rare to be able to emulate a console till pretty late in their lifespan and then usually not very well.

Its definitely a bad situation as this game is a system seller if ive ever seen one but generally speaking i think emulation is a good and necessary thing for gaming.
I just cant imagine being able to get a working sega saturn nowdays and dont think i have a tv i could connect to if i did.
The whole archiving nature of it is important
I've got the game on the Wii U and I'd play an emulated version of this on my PC just to get smooth framerates. The frame rate drops annoy me.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Did you not get that chest piece in the starting area?
Or can you not just cook some food to make you resistant for a bit? Always seems to be a few ingredients at the start of areas that are cold
Haven't you made cold resistant food, or got the warm doublet???

Bloody hell man! :lol:
I got the warm doublet but it does bugger all in the mountains for me. I'll have to buy something a bit better as I've got plenty or rupees.

I can't be bothered to cook, it's a pain when I just want to go somewhere.

Have to admire your perseverance. Once I realised certain areas were too cold for me, I knew I had to prepare myself in some ways before going there. You just went ahead with it. :lol:
I do a certain amount of exploring, and then when I run out of food I glide out ASAP :lol:

caid

I've got the game on the Wii U and I'd play an emulated version of this on my PC just to get smooth framerates. The frame rate drops annoy me.
Im not sure you'd get smooth framerates on the PC - your emulating the wii u so as far as its concerned it'll have the same memory etc as a wii u, I would have thought (thats how it works isn't it?)
Then add in emulators being a bit wonky and the performance will probably be worse

Im playing on wii u too incidentally.

The new patch has helped loads on the switch, has it not on the Wii U yet?
Haven't noticed a difference, think the current performance is probably as good as your goiing to get on the wii u

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Im not sure you'd get smooth framerates on the PC - your emulating the wii u so as far as its concerned it'll have the same memory etc as a wii u, I would have thought (thats how it works isn't it?)
Then add in emulators being a bit wonky and the performance will probably be worse

Im playing on wii u too incidentally.
You can brute force a game to get higher framerates. For example, the PS4 pro has a boost mode now which can use it's higher clock rates to smooth out existing games.

Haven't noticed a difference, think the current performance is probably as good as your goiing to get on the wii u
Nope, optimisation can always be done. The frame rate issues were always with chunk loading anyway, and that's something that can be worked on.

Phil

Yeah you guys got it, was struggling with the cold just using a flame. Then realised I had to cook my chillies.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I got the warm doublet but it does bugger all in the mountains for me. I'll have to buy something a bit better as I've got plenty or rupees.

I can't be bothered to cook, it's a pain when I just want to go somewhere.

I do a certain amount of exploring, and then when I run out of food I glide out ASAP :lol:
Get a bunch of bundles of sticks, flints and torches, start a fire and light a torch with it, and that'll keep you warm until it burns out.

caid

You can brute force a game to get higher framerates. For example, the PS4 pro has a boost mode now which can use it's higher clock rates to smooth out existing games.

Nope, optimisation can always be done. The frame rate issues were always with chunk loading anyway, and that's something that can be worked on.
Would you not need to program that into the emulator?
*shrug* when i emulate a ps1 i expect ps1 level performance and am frankly doing well to get that usually.

As for wii u performance. The same places chug along in the same manner as ever.
I just dont think it has the grunt to run places like karakiro village with all the torches, waterfalls etc without pretty choppy framerates.
I dont think its a loading issue, the framerate will still be as bad 20 mins after arriving as when you arrived.

Redlambs

Would you not need to program that into the emulator?
*shrug* when i emulate a ps1 i expect ps1 level performance and am frankly doing well to get that usually.

As for wii u performance. The same places chug along in the same manner as ever.
I just dont think it has the grunt to run places like karakiro village with all the torches, waterfalls etc without pretty choppy framerates.
I dont think its a loading issue, the framerate will still be as bad 20 mins after arriving as when you arrived.
I'm not 100% sure what you are asking here...

For instance, when you talk about emulating a PS1 on PC, are you asking if it should just run and look exactly the same? Because the answer is dependant on your machine, but in general it should run and look a whole lot better, even just in terms of resolution (the PS1 ran at a standard of 320x256).

An emulator isn't limited to the original machine, it's only limited to your pc. For example I can play PSX games at a far higher resolution with all sorts of filtering techniques applied. It's like if you play a Snes/Megadrive game on yours, you should beable to have them run 60fps with smoothing.

Woodzy

I've played about 4 hours of this on the PC today. I would say about 80% of the time I get a solid 30fps, with occasional drops here and there and worst case scenario will be some insane drops.

As for the game itself, it seems to be working very well considering, and i've just managed to finish the starting area. Would I consider it playable yet? Well I guess that depend on a persons level of tolerance... but the fair answer would be no. I had two cases where the Emulator crashed, about four instances where the camera locked out of Link (which is fixed by saving and reloading), and then lots of (very) minor graphical issues throughout.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I've played about 4 hours of this on the PC today. I would say about 80% of the time I get a solid 30fps, with occasional drops here and there and worst case scenario will be some insane drops.

As for the game itself, it seems to be working very well considering, and i've just managed to finish the starting area. Would I consider it playable yet? Well I guess that depend on a persons level of tolerance... but the fair answer would be no. I had two cases where the Emulator crashed, about four instances where the camera locked out of Link (which is fixed by saving and reloading), and then lots of (very) minor graphical issues throughout.
PC inquisition will hunt you for that and I'm one of them.

On a serious note they should just cut the bull and release it on multiple platforms.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Get a bunch of bundles of sticks, flints and torches, start a fire and light a torch with it, and that'll keep you warm until it burns out.
Whenever I have a torch I always end up swinging it or switching weapons by accident so it goes out :(:lol:

I've just got the Snowquill set now though. No more getting cold for me, and plenty of new exploring to do :drool:

caid

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking here...

For instance, when you talk about emulating a PS1 on PC, are you asking if it should just run and look exactly the same? Because the answer is dependant on your machine, but in general it should run and look a whole lot better, even just in terms of resolution (the PS1 ran at a standard of 320x256).

An emulator isn't limited to the original machine, it's only limited to your pc. For example I can play PSX games at a far higher resolution with all sorts of filtering techniques applied. It's like if you play a Snes/Megadrive game on yours, you should beable to have them run 60fps with smoothing.

Ok but them filters and higher resolutions tend to be programmed in via a plugin at a later point (and usually make the game look horrible imo)
and the resolutions in particular tend to be a pain in the balls to program.
Most emulators will run at native resolution,

My experience with fps etc is pretty different to yours apparently.

Redlambs

Ok but them filters and higher resolutions tend to be programmed in via a plugin at a later point (and usually make the game look horrible imo)
and the resolutions in particular tend to be a pain in the balls to program.
Most emulators will run at native resolution,

My experience with fps etc is pretty different to yours apparently.
No they aren't. You get some plug ins of course, but it's natural that a more powerful platform can run things faster. And yes, your fps experience would be different I'd imagine.

Btw, I've worked on emulators, in fact that's how I started out and taught myself to game program. Nes, Snes and Master system mainly, before I moved onto mods and PS1 programming, but it's all fundamentally the same.

Edit: Oh and resolution changes aren't hard to do at all. There's numerous ways to upscale.

Last edited:

caid

No they aren't. You get some plug ins of course, but it's natural that a more powerful platform can run things faster. And yes, your fps experience would be different I'd imagine.

Btw, I've worked on emulators, in fact that's how I started out and taught myself to game program. Nes, Snes and Master system mainly, before I moved onto mods and PS1 programming, but it's all fundamentally the same.

Edit: Oh and resolution changes aren't hard to do at all. There's numerous ways to upscale.
Fair enough,
I heard differently but have no experience in the matter so presume your right.
Maybe it was specific games not working particularly well or just my memory playing tricks as to the original performance.

Just doesn't really line up with my experience of using emulators.

Redlambs

Fair enough,
I heard differently but have no experience in the matter so presume your right.
Maybe it was specific games not working particularly well or just my memory playing tricks as to the original performance.

Just doesn't really line up with my experience of using emulators.
What experience of using them are you talking about though? Are you saying when you run a PS1 emulator, for example, you are getting low res and shite fps and you assume that's how it's meant to be?

Some games work better than others, and some consoles are easier to emulate than others. However it sounds like your rig isn't that powerful so it struggles? Because if it's a modern machine and you are struggling to run a ps1 game, then it's likely you have something set up wrong.

As for the resolution thing, you may be confusing the output to the real hard thing, tricking the actual game engine to render at a higher resolution. The former is easy, the latter is really difficult, though not impossible.

Woodzy

You quickly learn not to waste weapons, nor to worry about the good ones breaking. You constantly find better weapons/shields/bows everywhere that you get to the point where you throw more away than you actually break.

Give it time, it makes sense eventually.
I guess it just feels strange not having that classic Zelda feeling when you pick up a new item. That comes with the new format I guess, can't have everything :(

Redlambs

I guess it just feels strange not having that classic Zelda feeling when you pick up a new item. That comes with the new format I guess, can't have everything :(
A lot feels strange tbh. But it's there to get you to try new weapon types early, find what suits you and to learn that survival takes planning. Trust me, in no time you have too many weapons anyway and keep trying to get more weapon slots to hold them all.

caid

What experience of using them are you talking about though? Are you saying when you run a PS1 emulator, for example, you are getting low res and shite fps and you assume that's how it's meant to be?

Some games work better than others, and some consoles are easier to emulate than others. However it sounds like your rig isn't that powerful so it struggles? Because if it's a modern machine and you are struggling to run a ps1 game, then it's likely you have something set up wrong.

As for the resolution thing, you may be confusing the output to the real hard thing, tricking the actual game engine to render at a higher resolution. The former is easy, the latter is really difficult, though not impossible.
Ah, its years since i've ran anything other than a mega drive or C64 emulator tbh.
FFIX ran like a dog when i tried that but it was .... a decade ago maybe (didn't think it was that long till i thought of it now tbh, i feel old now)

How would you trick the resolution anyway? Would it just use 2 pixels in place of one or something?

NinjaZombie

The new patch has helped loads on the switch, has it not on the Wii U yet?
Can't say I've seen a massive difference.

On that note, I hate the fact that I can't look at the map on my Wii U game pad. Was pretty sure it was in the works before the Wii U had to share Zelda with the Switch. I'm a bit bitter about this fact.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
How the hell are you supposed to kill those half horse/half whatever the feck the other half is cnuts. One hit and I'm dead practically.
Just run away
I managed to compete the entire game by using that tactic

caid

How the hell are you supposed to kill those half horse/half whatever the feck the other half is cnuts. One hit and I'm dead practically.
Get used to timing your dodges properly
Not the most useful advice but it is what it is.

If he breaks off to hit you with arrows then use a shock arrow to stun him and he should cut that out (frost arrow would probably work too, never tried it)
Just block the charge attack because it'll still hit you occasionally even after a perfect dodge.

Cook a big pile of hearty food (any hearty ingredient with an apple will give a full heal and x extra health) to offset your low health if thats an issue.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Scout
Don't get hit?
Ah, why didn't I think of that?! :D

Just run away
I managed to compete the entire game by using that tactic
:lol: Good plan.

I just get annoyed seeing them strut around as if they own the place. Feckers.

Get used to timing your dodges properly
Not the most useful advice but it is what it is.

If he breaks off to hit you with arrows then use a shock arrow to stun him and he should cut that out (frost arrow would probably work too, never tried it)
Just block the charge attack because it'll still hit you occasionally even after a perfect dodge.

Cook a big pile of hearty food (any hearty ingredient with an apple will give a full heal and x extra health) to offset your low health if thats an issue.
I tried blocking and dodging but it doesn't seem to work most of the time.

I guess it's one of those things where I'll just have to try over and over.

caid

Ah, why didn't I think of that?! :D

:lol: Good plan.

I just get annoyed seeing them strut around as if they own the place. Feckers.

I tried blocking and dodging but it doesn't seem to work most of the time.

I guess it's one of those things where I'll just have to try over and over.
Well ... some of his attacks cant be blocked
Blocking the charge might not be possible until you've unlocked ... something. Maybe just run out of the way of it?

They definitely take a while to get the hang of but they get easier

Oh, if you daze them with a headshot with an arrow, you can mount them like a horse and go wild on the back of their head with a sword.
Works after a charge if your quick too (works any time he lowers his head actualy, there's a few things trigger it)