Gaming The Legend of Zelda | Earthquake: "It's actually ridiculously good, and keeps getting better." ★★★★★

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
You could maybe turn off the HUD and and map indicators etc if you hadn't previously done that to make you feel a bit more "lost" on a new play through?

:lol: I can imagine it's quite tough?
Oh god I found it painful enough with them on :lol:

Side note, I actually have no idea how anyone could find all shrines without a guide. It would take an ungodly amount of time!

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Would this look decent on the portable switch?
I've played it a lot on handheld mode and it looks great.

Oh god I found it painful enough with them on :lol:

Side note, I actually have no idea how anyone could find all shrines without a guide. It would take an ungodly amount of time!
:lol: Fair enough!

I have 10 shrines left to find and I'm not going to use a guide, I have no idea if I'll ever find them or how long it will take...

decorativeed

So, having played Mario games since the 1980s, I'd actually never played any Zelda title, ever, until this year. I don't think I've ever played any other game that you'd label an RPG either. In fact, the phrase would serve as a sign that it probably wasn't a game for me.

I decided to change that and give a Zelda game a go, so I started A Link to the Past recently and am not far from finishing it. It's been a lot of fun so far, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about which game to do after that (and then after that one). I have all the hardware to play any of them, so leave nothing out!

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
So, having played Mario games since the 1980s, I'd actually never played any Zelda title, ever, until this year. I don't think I've ever played any other game that you'd label an RPG either. In fact, the phrase would serve as a sign that it probably wasn't a game for me.

I decided to change that and give a Zelda game a go, so I started A Link to the Past recently and am not far from finishing it. It's been a lot of fun so far, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about which game to do after that (and then after that one). I have all the hardware to play any of them, so leave nothing out!
Never played A Link to the Past myself (is it on the online service on the Switch?) but the remake of Link's Awakening on the Switch was very enjoyable. It has the same sort of top down view as well.

decorativeed

Never played A Link to the Past myself (is it on the online service on the Switch?) but the remake of Link's Awakening on the Switch was very enjoyable. It has the same sort of top down view as well.
Cool, thanks. And yes, it is on the SNES online bit on Switch.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

Link to the Past is one of the very best of them. I think get all the essentials played first so next play, Ocarina of Time and then Wind Waker and then Breath of the Wild

Once that is all done I would go back to 2D and play the remake of Links Awakening on Switch and then Link Between worlds on 3DS. Then if you still love the series which I expect you will try Majoras Mask, which I think is outstanding but not everyone will agree.

This leaves you with 2 mainline games, Twiglight princess which I only ever half played and Skyward Sword which is the only one I have never touched. Both should be on Switch before end of this year. But neither are essential. There are other handheld games, 2 from 3DS which require touch controls although I disliked both of them but there is also a gem from early Gameboy Advance called Minish Cap, so if you are still looking for more, check that one out

decorativeed

Link to the Past is one of the very best of them. I think get all the essentials played first so next play, Ocarina of Time and then Wind Waker and then Breath of the Wild

Once that is all done I would go back to 2D and play the remake of Links Awakening on Switch and then Link Between worlds on 3DS. Then if you still love the series which I expect you will try Majoras Mask, which I think is outstanding but not everyone will agree.

This leaves you with 2 mainline games, Twiglight princess which I only ever half played and Skyward Sword which is the only one I have never touched. Both should be on Switch before end of this year. But neither are essential. There are other handheld games, 2 from 3DS which require touch controls although I disliked both of them but there is also a gem from early Gameboy Advance called Minish Cap, so if you are still looking for more, check that one out
Thanks, I appreciate it. Will let you know how I get on.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
A bit disappointed by the ending after beating Ganon, the game leaves you back at the save file before the fight with a star next to it. I was really looking forward to taking a victory lap around Hyrule with everyone praising Link but instead its the same old people telling me to go kill Ganon.

Maagge

A bit disappointed by the ending after beating Ganon, the game leaves you back at the save file before the fight with a star next to it. I was really looking forward to taking a victory lap around Hyrule with everyone praising Link but instead its the same old people telling me to go kill Ganon.
I would have liked to see a thriving Hyrule as well. We might get that in the sequel, I guess.

caid

The ending was a bit of a wet fart really. Hard to give a satisfying end to the rest of the game i guess.

Sara125

What consoles do you have? OoT is absolutely amazing. Available on the N64 and GameCube (and I believe wiiU?), and the remake on 3DS.

decorativeed

So I've been playing Breath of the Wild for the past week or so. I love it, but damn, is it frustrating at times. The amount of controls you have to master to beat the baddies is insane! It's like learning to play a Hendrix guitar solo, but with the added threat of losing all your progress in a divine beast if you balls it up! The number of times I still hit B to jump, because it's been hard wired into me since about 1986 is a big part of my problem. I'm also prone to throwing my sword at an enemy or off a cliff instead of using the runes, or using the telescope instead of crouching!

b82REZ

So I've been playing Breath of the Wild for the past week or so. I love it, but damn, is it frustrating at times. The amount of controls you have to master to beat the baddies is insane! It's like learning to play a Hendrix guitar solo, but with the added threat of losing all your progress in a divine beast if you balls it up! The number of times I still hit B to jump, because it's been hard wired into me since about 1986 is a big part of my problem. I'm also prone to throwing my sword at an enemy or off a cliff instead of using the runes, or using the telescope instead of crouching!
You can change the jump button.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Probably the only game in the last decade that you could argue was the best ever made.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
You'll obviously disagree but The Last of Us and The Witcher 3 are both held just as high regard in terms of best ever discussions.
Haven't played Witcher 3 - trying to finish books first - but very excited to play it and heard great things.

Last of Us was good but didn't find it groundbreaking, which I think the 'best game ever' needs to be.

Massive Spanner

Haven't played Witcher 3 - trying to finish books first - but very excited to play it and heard great things.

Last of Us was good but didn't find it groundbreaking, which I think the 'best game ever' needs to be.
I think it was groundbreaking in a very different way but this isn't the thread to get into it!

No doubt BOTW is one of the best games ever, though, it's incredibly good.

Maagge

It's a good game but controls poorly in my opinion, which can make it frustrating to play.

DavelinaJolie

So is BOTW any good? I played a few hours of it a while ago and found it pretty dull. I've just restarted it because I want to give it a fair crack.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
So is BOTW any good? I played a few hours of it a while ago and found it pretty dull. I've just restarted it because I want to give it a fair crack.
That largely depends on your creativity tbh.

It's the most complete world ever built in terms of how everything interacts and the physics, and there's a ridiculous amount you can do and mess around with, but if you aren't about that there's still plenty to love. The combat is way deeper than the naysayers even come close to giving it credit for, similar with the cooking/potion making. But perhaps one of the most genius things about the game is you don't have to force yourself to get deep into either, you can literally play the entire game without cooking a thing (though that would be a huge waste).

The downsides are it's not a traditional Zelda in terms of having dungeons dungeons a set path, and the bloody weapons breaking. Although on the latter point, remember not to have gear fear as sure the first time you find a fire sword and it breaks after about 2 poxy hits you may cry and hate it, but then you quickly realise you will find 50 about 10mins later :lol:

b82REZ

Sounds excessive.
Haha what? You want me to lie to pretend it isn't rated that highly?

As lambs said, it requires a certain level of creativity and thinking outside the box if you want to get the most out of it. It's the most realised sandbox ever created, but if you approach it like an Ass Creed you'll likely get sick of your weapons breaking etc.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
A wonderful game but the shrines quickly became boring and the lack of traditional style dungeons was a let down. I’m excited to see how they build on this for BOTW2.

Massive Spanner

I wouldn't consider myself overly creative, nor do I have the patience for games these games that tend to not guide you towards your objective or don't at least somewhat "hand hold" you, but I loved BOTW. There's something about it that sets it apart from other exploration games that made it fun for me to wander around trying to find shit. The world just has so much in it in every nook and cranny that I didn't mind figuring out where the hell to go without a quest marker or whatnot. It's just an incredible world that they've built and the physics system is insane. There were so many times I went "maybe I could try this even though.. nah, there's no way they designed that into the game, oh shit it worked!" . It's easily one of the greatest games ever made, despite having no real semblance of a plot.

That said, I couldn't find all the shrines by myself and did have to google a few of 'em or I would've been playing the damn thing hundreds of hours more!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I wouldn't consider myself overly creative, nor do I have the patience for games these games that tend to not guide you towards your objective or don't at least somewhat "hand hold" you, but I loved BOTW. There's something about it that sets it apart from other exploration games that made it fun for me to wander around trying to find shit. The world just has so much in it in every nook and cranny that I didn't mind figuring out where the hell to go without a quest marker or whatnot. It's just an incredible world that they've built and the physics system is insane. There were so many times I went "maybe I could try this even though.. nah, there's no way they designed that into the game, oh shit it worked!" . It's easily one of the greatest games ever made, despite having no real semblance of a plot.

That said, I couldn't find all the shrines by myself and did have to google a few of 'em or I would've been playing the damn thing hundreds of hours more!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.

Sound like you might have actually been a little bit...err...creative after all.

Point proven!