Gaming The Legend of Zelda | Earthquake: "It's actually ridiculously good, and keeps getting better." ★★★★★

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I actually started replaying it, over three years on, thought it was a good time, enjoying it a lot still. It's nice knowing things about the shrines and what's likely to be a korok seed that I didn't last time, and ways to kill enemies etc. Such a damn awesome game. I also never did the DLC so might do it this time.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
As a couple have said in the thread before, it really is worth trying it emulated if you are playing through again. Not just for the graphics, but there's so much you can tweak (including weapon damage, even making them last 2x still has them breaking often, but is much more enjoyable) that it's worth a look.

Massive Spanner

As a couple have said in the thread before, it really is worth trying it emulated if you are playing through again. Not just for the graphics, but there's so much you can tweak (including weapon damage, even making them last 2x still has them breaking often, but is much more enjoyable) that it's worth a look.
Oh damn, now you have me intrigued.

Redlambs

Oh damn, now you have me intrigued.
Cemu (make sure it's the latest).

It's easy to find and set up, and you don't have to install mod packs you download the whole lot in one from the options. It's fantastic. Also if you have a DS4, it's easy to set up motion controls too for the arrow aiming and those shite shrines (which are actually more bearable with it).

Massive Spanner

It's easy to find and set up, and you don't have to install mod packs you download the whole lot in one from the options. It's fantastic. Also if you have a DS4, it's easy to set up motion controls too for the arrow aiming and those shite shrines (which are actually more bearable with it).
You need a Wii U version right?

I don't have a ds4 anymore, sold them with my ps4. I have a DS5? Does the Switch Pro controller not work?

Oh and you can disable motion controls anyway can't you? I did for my switch run through cause it sucks.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Is it good replaying it? I always thought I'd end up going back one day but most of the awesomeness was about discovering things for the first time and a majestic sense of exploration you get finding new areas randomly on the map. I fear I'd feel a bit bored knowing everything already.

decorativeed

I actually started replaying it, over three years on, thought it was a good time, enjoying it a lot still. It's nice knowing things about the shrines and what's likely to be a korok seed that I didn't last time, and ways to kill enemies etc. Such a damn awesome game. I also never did the DLC so might do it this time.
I found the DLC very slight, to be honest. Obviously it's a bit more of a great game, but the only challenging bit was the trial of the sword.

decorativeed

Those motion control shrines were an absolute pain in the arse in handheld mode. Pretty much unplayable. I always had to put the switch down and grab a controller to do them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Started playing the skyward sword remake last night. Forgot the excitement starting a new AAA Zelda title for the first time.

Chairman Steve

The irony in this post :lol:
It wasn’t a knock on Nintendo. I have a feeling them and FromSoft are taking inspiration from one another. BOTW has Souls stuff in it and Elden Ring has BOTW stuff in it, so hopefully BOTW2 is amazing so it inspires FromSoft on their next game.

Redlambs

It wasn’t a knock on Nintendo. I have a feeling them and FromSoft are taking inspiration from one another. BOTW has Souls stuff in it and Elden Ring has BOTW stuff in it, so hopefully BOTW2 is amazing so it inspires FromSoft on their next game.
I was thinking more on the whole "OMG Elden ring is like BOTW!" trash reviews mate, not your post as such ;)

Although on that point, what exactly do you think is in ER that would transfer the other way? I'm struggling to think of anything that would delay the game.

Chairman Steve

I was thinking more on the whole "OMG Elden ring is like BOTW!" trash reviews mate, not your post as such ;)

Although on that point, what exactly do you think is in ER that would transfer the other way? I'm struggling to think of anything that would delay the game.
Ah ok :lol: I thought you thought I was some rabid Elden Ring fanboy.

Would be interesting to see if that is the reason, although probably more realistically one of the reasons why it’s delayed. It’s probably something like world design, level design, enemy design maybe? They saw Caelid and thought we’ve got to do that?

Maybe they saw the Dung Eater and thought ‘goddamn that’s what we’re missing. Miyazaki-san you’ve done it again’ :)

bosnian_red

Yeah I don't see any reason for a late add... I'm just hoping they sort out the dungeons and enemy variety (lack thereof) from BOTW. Classic Zelda is built on good enemies and big, complex dungeons. Botw was purely world with shit dungeons and no enemy variety of interesting enemies. Also I hated the weapon system for BOTW and miss the feeling when you found a bow or hookshot and they all had their uses, but I have no idea how they would incorporate that back in so I'm guessing that won't change a whole lot.

Redlambs

Elden Ring fanboy.
I'm the biggest Elden Ring fanboy on here, don't let those b-ends in that thread say otherwise.

Yeah I don't see any reason for a late add... I'm just hoping they sort out the dungeons and enemy variety (lack thereof) from BOTW. Classic Zelda is built on good enemies and big, complex dungeons. Botw was purely world with shit dungeons and no enemy variety of interesting enemies. Also I hated the weapon system for BOTW and miss the feeling when you found a bow or hookshot and they all had their uses, but I have no idea how they would incorporate that back in so I'm guessing that won't change a whole lot.
The hookshot would be great in a dungeon where you could still climb, but there's bottomless drops so you have to hookshot across walls. The amount of vertical puzzling you could do with that and clever level design would be insane.

I don't know for sure, but I think there will be a bit more traditional Zelda stuff in this one. I don't think it'll go quite as far as we perhaps all want though.

Massive Spanner

I was never expecting it to be out this year. Maybe it'll coincide with an actual new Switch model, though. Eh, eh? C'mon Nintendo you twats.

decorativeed

No enemy variety?! What more did you want?

I've been making my way through older and newer Zelda games, and even in classics like A Link to the Past, the enemies are variations on each other, with none causing much of a problem, while BOTW had the likes of Lynels where you had to have practically finished the game before you could beat them.

bosnian_red

No enemy variety?! What more did you want?

I've been making my way through older and newer Zelda games, and even in classics like A Link to the Past, the enemies are variations on each other, with none causing much of a problem, while BOTW had the likes of Lynels where you had to have practically finished the game before you could beat them.
The lynels were good fights for sure, but the only interesting ones. The boss fights were horrible and entirely uninteresting, the Ganon fight was meh compared to older Zelda's, and the enemies were pretty much just bokoblins/skeletons/guardians everywhere. I can live with that but the dungeons were the main thing. Get interesting dungeons, interesting mini bosses and challenging and diverse main bosses.

Redlambs

As I've said before, play this on an emulator with a DS4 or similar if you get the chance.

Bump up the res/view distance and turn down the weapon degradation and the game shines even more than it already does.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I'm so glad I didn't (for some reason) dive into BOTW until recently. I feel for you who played this all the way back in '17, what an excruciating wait for the sequel!

Sara125

I am playing Skyward Sword for the first time on switch.

The motion controls during the bird challenge thing…absolutely God awful. Was it that bad on the Wii?

largelyworried

The motion controls during the bird challenge thing…absolutely God awful. Was it that bad on the Wii?
Pretty much. I think you can turn off motion controls with the remaster? The sword fighting stuff is ok with motion controls but anything related to movement is always a bad idea.

kps88

Yup. Only Zelda game I haven't completed despite multiple attempts to get into it.

decorativeed

Yup. Only Zelda game I haven't completed despite multiple attempts to get into it.
Don't shoot me here, but that's me with Ocarina of Time. It may have been a classic back then, but the controls are awful. I tried playing it again on Switch online N64, and it (obviously) still shows the layout for that system's weird joypad, which doesn't help at all. I was depleting my stocks of arrows inadvertently all the time!

I need them to do a proper remaster of it or for that fan/dev group to finish their own Unreal engine version of it, which looks incredible.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Don't shoot me here, but that's me with Ocarina of Time. It may have been a classic back then, but the controls are awful. I tried playing it again on Switch online N64, and it (obviously) still shows the layout for that system's weird joypad, which doesn't help at all. I was depleting my stocks of arrows inadvertently all the time!

I need them to do a proper remaster of it or for that fan/dev group to finish their own Unreal engine version of it, which looks incredible.
I would say the 3ds version is the best way to play it, the controls are just so much better

kps88

Oh damn. The Switch version is probably the worst way to play it though. I enjoyed the Gamecube and Wii versions.

Sara125

Pretty much. I think you can turn off motion controls with the remaster? The sword fighting stuff is ok with motion controls but anything related to movement is always a bad idea.
Turns out you can. Only way I could control that damn bird!

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Just finished BOTW. Probably going to give it a couple of months before moving on to Tears as I'm pretty much Zelda'd out. An incredible game which makes it into my top 10 all time games. It could have been in my top 5 but for a few things that I'll list below:

Divine Beasts - I enjoyed the elephant and the bird. Thought the lizard was way too easy although I loved how it started in the darkness. The camel and its stupid boss was easily the worst part of this game. Overall I thought them all to be a bit underwhelming and wished for a more traditional style temple instance. I know the shrines incorporate a lot of the puzzles you would normally have in a Zelda temple but still, I'd have liked to have more depth in the Divine Beasts.

Hyrule Castle - Again, really underwhelming. I'd have preferred it to be a more linear affair with floors you have to beat in order to eventually get to the top. I fought my way to the last memory then glided straight to the final boss. Ganon was also a piece of piss - I remember OoT Ganon being a proper step up in difficulty and a bit of a nightmare, although that could have something to do with me being a child back then. I'm a terrible gamer and had no problem one shotting him. The major test of strength bosses are harder.

Armour - Kind of pointless. I bought and upgraded the Ancient set but I barely notice the difference between that and the standard garb you wear for most of the game. In fact, there's very little use for all the gold I've accumulated unless I want to go full completionist and buy all sets etc.

Side Quests - They mostly suck.

Despite all of the above, what an incredible game. An absolute joy for the most part.

It goes without saying but please don't include spoilers for Tears if you reply to this.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just finished BOTW. Probably going to give it a couple of months before moving on to Tears as I'm pretty much Zelda'd out. An incredible game which makes it into my top 10 all time games. It could have been in my top 5 but for a few things that I'll list below:

Divine Beasts - I enjoyed the Elephant and the Bird. Thought the lizard was way too easy although I loved how it started in the darkness. The camel and its stupid boss was easily the worst part of this game. Overall I thought them all to be a bit underwhelming and wished for a more traditional style temple instance. I know the shrines incorporate a lot of the puzzles you would normally have in a Zelda temple but still, I'd have liked to more depth in the Divine Beasts.

Hyrule Castle - Again, really underwhelming. I'd have preferred it to be a more linear affair with floors you have to beat to eventually go to the top. I fought my way to the last memory then glided straight to the final boss. Ganon was also a piece of piss - I remember OoT Ganon being a proper step up in difficulty and a bit of a nightmare, although that could have something to do with me being a child back then. I'm a terrible gamer and had no problem one shotting him. The major test of strength bosses are harder.

Armour - Kind of pointless. I bought and upgraded the Ancient set but I barely notice the difference between that and the standard garb you wear for most of the game. In fact, there's very little use for all the gold I've accumulated unless I want to go full completionist and buy all sets etc.

Side Quests - They mostly suck.

Despite all of the above, what an incredible game. An absolute joy for the most part.
I’m in the middle of it. I definitely find it very easy to get lost in which is something I love in a game but there’s something missing for me to be a special experience. Will come back on full thoughts / conclusion once I completed it.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I’m in the middle of it. I definitely find it very easy to get lost in which is something I love in a game but there’s something missing for me to be a special experience. Will come back on full thoughts / conclusion once I completed it.
Apologies if I've inadvertently spoiled something. Will edit my post.