Gaming The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Wait until you do a grinding/rails shrine. By far the most fun shrine I've done so far.
Yeah I've done one. The way I got the ball across was unorthodox to say the least.

Ainu

I'm trying to avoid reading this thread too much as I want to go into this relatively blind when I eventually get it, but I did hear some things that make me fear the game world might be too overwhelming. BotW's Hyrule was already enormous, now it's got that plus substantial sky islands and an enormous underground map as well. Does it feel like too much or is it still manageable?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm trying to avoid reading this thread too much as I want to go into this relatively blind when I eventually get it, but I did hear some things that make me fear the game world might be too overwhelming. BotW's Hyrule was already enormous, now it's got that plus substantial sky islands and an enormous underground map as well. Does it feel like too much or is it still manageable?
It's overwhelming to start with but the more I play the more I feel I'm getting to grips with the world.

b82REZ

Not really because it's not in your face about the scale, at least no more than BoTW. The sky islands are visible but aren't easy to get to so they're easy to ignore; and the depths are only accessible at certain points on the map.

It's an absolute masterpiece of a game, and one that I think even Nintendo will struggle to top.

Ainu

Not really because it's not in your face about the scale, at least no more than BoTW. The sky islands are visible but aren't easy to get to so they're easy to ignore; and the depths are only accessible at certain points on the map.

It's an absolute masterpiece of a game, and one that I think even Nintendo will struggle to top.
Oh I have no doubt about that last bit, I will get it sooner or later (after I ever get round to Elden Ring :lol:), but I do wonder how much of my life I should plan to sacrifice this time. BotW took me ages. It never felt like an endless checklist like certain other open worlds, though.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Oh I have no doubt about that last bit, I will get it sooner or later (after I ever get round to Elden Ring :lol:), but I do wonder how much of my life I should plan to sacrifice this time. BotW took me ages. It never felt like an endless checklist like certain other open worlds, though.
Depends how focused you are, I guess. You could probably spend 100's of hours in this pissing around doing random stuff and building crap. As it is I'll probably do what I did with BoTW; finish the main story, do every shrine/dungeon, collect any seeds I see along the way (but not try get every one of them), and not be afraid to diverge on my path if I see something cool (which has already happened loads).

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Never played a Zelda game, but got a switch so think i am going to but this to see whats the hype is all about.
no zelda game ever? If I was you id start with a couple of the older ones first. Most are avaialble on switch either physical or via the online service

Link to the Past on that service should be your first. If you like that, for for Link Awakening remake. Then onto the Ocarina of Time and BOTW after.

b82REZ

Depends how focused you are, I guess. You could probably spend 100's of hours in this pissing around doing random stuff and building crap. As it is I'll probably do what I did with BoTW; finish the main story, do every shrine/dungeon, collect any seeds I see along the way (but not try get every one of them), and not be afraid to diverge on my path if I see something cool (which has already happened loads).
This is bang on.

Consider the game a world you exist in and just do what feels natural. I never feel any urgency to get on with main quest like I do in most OW games.

More often than not I'll set myself some arbitrary task when I start a session, like reach that sky tower, but inevitably I'll see countless things on my way and get lost in various little adventures.

It seems so simple; but I've never played a game, out of this and BoTW, that nails that feeling of grand exploration. Elden Ring got close, mind.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is what I think majorly helps set it apart from other open world games. It never makes anything feel like a chore. It’s intuitive, doesn’t hold your hand but also guides you if you need.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Sometimes i wish a open world game like this had xp and more common enemies dropped rupees so you could buy better gear. I tend to avoid unnecessary combat because i feel a lack of reward and with the crappy durability of weapons you don't feel like using your good ones. Xp for side quets would be cool as well. There this one side quest where a woman wants me to find a secret cavern filled with monsters and pick some items. Her reward? 10 arrows. But i know that xp has never been a part of Zelda im just finding a deal of the side quests unrewarding.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sometimes i wish a open world game like this had xp and more common enemies dropped rupees so you could buy better gear. I tend to avoid unnecessary combat because i feel a lack of reward and with the crappy durability of weapons you don't feel like using your good ones. Xp for side quets would be cool as well. There this one side quest where a woman wants me to find a secret cavern filled with monsters. Her reward? 10 arrows. But i know that xp has never been a part of Zelda im just finding a deal of the side quests unrewarding.
Yeah I’ve learned not to battle everything I see. In fact I just straight run past those maggot things in the caves. It’s no benefit for me to use up so many materials/weapons for little reward.

Gehrman

Yeah I’ve learned not to battle everything I see. In fact I just straight run past those maggot things in the caves. It’s no benefit for me to use up so many materials/weapons for little reward.
Yeah but enemies used to drop rupees in earlier Zelda games. Dont know why they made sure most of them dont. They could ways introduce cooler gear you could buy with those rupees and keep the wallet system if they dont want players to snowball to quickly

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Sometimes i wish a open world game like this had xp and more common enemies dropped rupees so you could buy better gear. I tend to avoid unnecessary combat because i feel a lack of reward and with the crappy durability of weapons you don't feel like using your good ones. Xp for side quets would be cool as well. There this one side quest where a woman wants me to find a secret cavern filled with monsters and pick some items. Her reward? 10 arrows. But i know that xp has never been a part of Zelda im just finding a deal of the side quests unrewarding.
I use that as a rule of thumb. Side quests - particularly in JRPGs - are 90% padding and it's rarely worth it for the 10% of the time they're actually worthwhile.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was horrible for it.

Gehrman

I use that as a rule of thumb. Side quests - particularly in JRPGs - are 90% padding and it's rarely worth it for the 10% of the time they're actually worthwhile.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was horrible for it.
I dont know. I think i was 10 years old when i played Oot. Now im 35. I just cant immerse myself the same way unless its Witcher 3 level of quality and writing for side quests.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Had some problems with a Flux Construct in the sky islands but came back with a plan and absolutely nailed it. Very satisfying. I now have a Diamond Blade which of course I’m terrified to use in case it breaks.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I think there is a hidden XP system in Breath of the Wild which scales enemies and weapons with how many enemies you have killed. That effectively means better weapons for killing enemies.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
There so much to do in every area. feck it’s so good! Loving this.

b82REZ

Considering it's the same map, Hyrule is nothing like it was in BoTW.

It continues to blow my mind how Nintendo have created this and then got it running almost flawlessly on the Switch.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Considering it's the same map, Hyrule is nothing like it was in BoTW.

It continues to blow my mind how Nintendo have created this and then got it running almost flawlessly on the Switch.
How exactly is it nothing like BotW? It has hills and enemies and sections for ice and desert. BotW also had these.

What I think you mean is that it's similar to BotW but with a twist.

b82REZ

How exactly is it nothing like BotW? It has hills and enemies and sections for ice and desert. BotW also had these.

What I think you mean is that it's similar to BotW but with a twist.
It's not though. Similar topography but the biomes aren't the same and there's different landmarks.

Or maybe my drug addled brain has forgot too much of BoTW, but I'm fairly certain there wasn't a sprawling rainforest with Amazonian ruins in BoTW.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This is what I think majorly helps set it apart from other open world games. It never makes anything feel like a chore. It’s intuitive, doesn’t hold your hand but also guides you if you need.
You can roam around the world without completing any of the main story and not feel like you are supposed to be doing something else, it's just going to feel completely fine and not make you feel guilty. RDR2 and GTA5 were like halfway there in the regard, and games like Watch Dogs / Assassins Creed are nowhere near because you just feel compelled to do quests there. Witcher was interesting in that it had plentiful of quality side quests whilst not giving you that much freedom in the actual open world.

You could play 100 hours of this, not progress main story at all, and still have an absolute blast.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It's not though. Similar topography but the biomes aren't the same and there's different landmarks.

Or maybe my drug addled brain has forgot too much of BoTW, but I'm fairly certain there wasn't a sprawling rainforest with Amazonian ruins in BoTW.
The only thing your drug-addled brain has forgotten is that I'm being pedantic for the sake of it.

However in my defence, I thought you were redlambs, but you're clearly not so I am sorry for dragging you into this.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just got autobuild. Immense. I’m like that Vince McMahon meme playing this.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
I put over 100 hours into BOTW and somehow Hyrule looks so fresh and new with so much going on here. Have barely done a thing bar the starting area yet I’ve come across so much of the new stuff and can’t wait to find out more.

Hamnat

Can you be mindful of spoilers please.

You've mentioned you've looked up guides and exploits, but I didn't want to find out where to get certain abilities by coming in this thread.
Yes sorry I can see now how that could be considered a spoiler in a way. Up till midnight last night doing part of the Regional Phenomena. My first one but these feel really massive I feel like I am using everything, food, my abilities, elixirs. Easy to get roped into one thing and not make it to what your target was when you got on.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Banter clips are over. I’m good now.

BootsyCollins

no zelda game ever? If I was you id start with a couple of the older ones first. Most are avaialble on switch either physical or via the online service

Link to the Past on that service should be your first. If you like that, for for Link Awakening remake. Then onto the Ocarina of Time and BOTW after.
Thanks, i have considered doing that, but knowing myself i am never going to get around to this game then. I play games really slow, and i want to play this more for the hype its getting than anything else.

b82REZ

Just hold the circle button on the left controller. It records the last 30 seconds.
So you can do it after the fact?

I knew you could take screenshots but didn't realise you could make short videos.

How do you get them off the Switch?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I knew you could take screenshots but didn't realise you could make short videos.

You go to your menu and then Album. Find the video and then it lets you link to Twitter or Facebook. I just made a random account just for screenshots and videos and leave it linked up to it.

b82REZ

You go to your menu and then Album. Find the video and then it lets you link to Twitter or Facebook. I just made a random account just for screenshots and videos and leave it linked up to it.
Cheers.

I'll give it a go later.

Posh Red

You can also create a QR code on the screen. Scan it with your smartphone and it downloads the clip or screenshot to your phone.