Gaming The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Just want quality dungeons and bosses back. Botw is so overrated.

MiceOnMeth

My main complaint is this won't be on Wii U like BOTW was which means I won't be able to emulate it at 4k 60fps with weapon degradation and stamina turned off :(

Hopefully it runs decently on switch emulators but we'll see.

Playing it on the shitty switch hardware will limit the experience so much. I really wish they saved this for "Switch 2" or whatever the next console will be called

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Some of the new abilities look great! I can't wait to see all the crazy aircrafts and weapons people are gonna come up with! :lol:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I think I'll stay away from all the footage that's gonna come out. Playing the first and being able to discover everything on my own was great.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I remember being blown away by how good BOTW looked in 2017.

But six years year and on a console with the GPU power of a mid priced phone in 2023, this looks like shit now :lol:

Such a shame Nintendo didn't release a Pro model for this.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Perhaps this could be the game that finally unites the Sonybros (evil) and Xbots (good guys) ??
Nah, the graphics must be so realistic that you can see every drop of sweat. And the console specs should be nuclear-powered. And you need blood and sex, otherwise the game is for kids!

Massive Spanner

While true I'm sure those of us who don't measure our self-worth by frames per second will still likely enjoy the gameplay.
That obviously wasn't my point you disingenuous little feckwit (love you) because it's obviously going to be an amazing game that I'll play, but it would've been lovely to experience it in its best form.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
That obviously wasn't my point you disingenuous little feckwit (love you) because it's obviously going to be an amazing game that I'll play, but it would've been lovely to experience it in its best form.
Sorry I couldn't resist :)

I'm still a bit surprised this hasn't ended up as a launch title for Switch 2, or whatever it will be called. From memory, Nintendo hasn't released two mainline Zelda games exclusively on a single console since the N64.

Edit - Slightly wrong as BotW was on Wii U but it was effectively meant for Switch. Also Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword on Wii. In fact, I'm just plain wrong here.

Massive Spanner

Sorry I couldn't resist :)

I'm still a bit surprised this hasn't ended up as a launch title for Switch 2, or whatever it will be called. From memory, Nintendo hasn't released two mainline Zelda games exclusively on a single console since the N64.

Edit - Slightly wrong as BotW was on Wii U but it was effectively meant for Switch.
I think the problem is the Switch is still selling like hot cakes (especially in Japan where its cornered the whole market) so Nintendo don't particularly give a shit about releasing a new console right now.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I think the problem is the Switch is still selling like hot cakes (especially in Japan where its cornered the whole market) so Nintendo don't particularly give a shit about releasing a new console right now.
That and they are always haggling with manufacturers on pricing/licensing. There's no guarantee that they'll go Nvidia again, in fact there's been numerous "pro" prototypes with all sorts of mixes.

But yeah, mainly it's because the machine and it's game still sell like crazy. And we always have to remember that Nintendo have only survived because of the smart moves to make money that cover the failures (unlike Sega). Because unlike the Xbox/PS, they aren't carried by companies whose main income is in other areas. Annoying as it is, at least we still get Nintendo machines.

Massive Spanner

That and they are always haggling with manufacturers on pricing/licensing. There's no guarantee that they'll go Nvidia again, in fact there's been numerous "pro" prototypes with all sorts of mixes.

But yeah, mainly it's because the machine and it's game still sell like crazy. And we always have to remember that Nintendo have only survived because of the smart moves to make money that cover the failures (unlike Sega). Because unlike the Xbox/PS, they aren't carried by companies whose main income is in other areas. Annoying as it is, at least we still get Nintendo machines.
Isn't Playstation Sony's most profitable division?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Feels like there’s been absolutely no marketing for this or is that just me?

Redlambs

Isn't Playstation Sony's most profitable division?
Now, yes. But the hardware was always been heavily subsidised. And if there's ever a slump, it will be in the future.

Point was, Sony are still primarily a technology company, the gaming division is a part of that (was it a third a few years ago? Don't know what it is now). Microsoft are god knows what now, but the xbox division is still down the list. Nintendo are almost all about the gaming side, so they have different priorities and see the market differently.

Gehrman

Nintendo's marketing seems to entirely consist of dripping content updates via their YouTube page. It's more viral/word-of-mouth than reliant on TV ads and what not. Their fanbase is huge so I think it works.
I had no idea it was coming out soon untill i saw this thread.

Hamnat

I had no idea it was coming out soon untill i saw this thread.
Maybe it was because I preordered it but I was seeing ads all over the place on social media, YouTube. They had the trailers etc . I'd say it was just as advertised as any other big Nintendo game.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Some of the new abilities look great! I can't wait to see all the crazy aircrafts and weapons people are gonna come up with! :lol:

That Fuse feature looks absolutely insane.
The amount of work to build so many usefull combinations, yet preventing the game from being broken every few minutes was a brutal task i think.

As a software developer i can only imagine the pain when the project lead or some other guy came up with the idea for that feature... :lol:

Gehrman

I always thought botw was overrated due to the lack of things that made Zelda games great. Being great dungeons, good stories albeit a bit simplistic that worked(see oot and majoras mask) and great bossfights. And getting gear that was essential to beating the bosses and the dungeons. I hope they improve on that, but considering the succes of botw i doubt it.

Redlambs

That Fuse feature looks absolutely insane.
The amount of work to build so many usefull combinations, yet preventing the game from being broken every few minutes was a brutal task i think.

As a software developer i can only imagine the pain when the project lead or some other guy came up with the idea for that feature... :lol:
It's legit ridiculous just how well the physics system works. It's going to be a long time until it's topped as the most complete open world ever created.

Redlambs

I always thought botw was overrated due to the lack of things that made Zelda games great. Being great dungeons, good stories albeit a bit simplistic that worked(see oot and majoras mask) and great bossfights. And getting gear that was essential to beating the bosses and the dungeons. I hope they improve on that, but considering the succes of botw i doubt it.
I get that. It's not my favourite Zelda game either.

But it's incredibly impressive as a sandbox game and so genre defining that no game since has managed to even come close to the technical feats pulled off.

Hopefully with these sky islands in 2, they've listened and we get some more dungeons.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Nah, the graphics must be so realistic that you can see every drop of sweat. And the console specs should be nuclear-powered. And you need blood and sex, otherwise the game is for kids!
agreed. when i fantasise about zelda i can only picture her mound as 4 pixels in 16-bit colour. i mean i still cum, but it takes up to a minute.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
agreed. when i fantasise about zelda i can only picture her mound as 4 pixels in 16-bit colour. i mean i still cum, but it takes up to a minute.
Zelda? You normie! That fish girl is where its at!

Massive Spanner

there's the condescending oleboii coming back out that we all know and hate.

I give you one more month.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
there's the condescending oleboii coming back out that we all know and hate.
Again with the oleboi stuff!

I got no horse in the console wars, if that's even a thing. I only expanded on the jokes/memes the other poster started. I grew up pretty agnostic. Nintendo, Playstation, PC... Didn't matter to me. I even had a brave friend who bought a Sega! Xbox was kind of after my time, though.

decorativeed

Well I'd never played a Zelda game before BotW, and neither had my son. Playing it led me back to the original games, and I've played through as many as I could since then, and really loved the old formula. Meanwhile, my son just doesn't seem to engage with the older titles at all.

We're both really looking forward to this, and as it comes out within days of our birthdays, will be the only game we've ever got on the day of launch. Can't wait!

b82REZ

I was apprehensive how this could top BoTW. Two minutes into that reveal and those fears were gone.

Can't wait.