Gaming The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

b82REZ

What’s wrong with the framerate? Is that how Nintendo people game :confused:
Are you surprised? It's an early build and pushing a 7 year old console to its absolute limits.

BoTW had frame drops, but it's a small price to pay for the best most flexible sandbox ever created.

With all the new systems added I'm not surprised the engine is struggling on the Switch. It is a shame this wasn't the launch game for Switch 2. But I still expect it to be far and away the GoTY.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I have seen zero game footage and plan to keep it that way. Going into it completely blind.
I think I've seen the two first trailers or something. I want to be able to find out everything on my own so I'm staying far away from anything showing more gameplay.

Ainu

What’s wrong with the framerate? Is that how Nintendo people game :confused:
It's a ridiculously ambitious game with what looks like an exceptional physics simulation, on a woefully underpowered piece of hardware. Getting it to run at a playable level at all is a minor miracle.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
The devs must be so pissed at Nintendo for not releasing a Switch Pro. Imagine making a game like that and having it be so limited by ancient hardware.

Balljy

The devs must be so pissed at Nintendo for not releasing a Switch Pro. Imagine making a game like that and having it be so limited by ancient hardware.
My Switch has died, and how incredible the sandbox looks in this has made me decide to wait for the Switch 2 so I can play it for the first time at its best. Nintendo are still amazing with what they come up with, that gameplay just looks insane.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It really is a travesty, the performance of the console, because the games are the best.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Start my new job may 15th so I get the just play the shit out of it right on release :drool:
Though my wife loves Zelda too and she's on her summer break... Unfortunately. So now have to split game time with her.

Hamnat

Nintendo is about to get a billion dollars or more from the Mario movie. I hope they funnel that over to a next gen switch.

b82REZ

There's no way I can wait for a Switch 2 version. There's no real talk of a new console so I'd be cutting my nose off to spite my face by waiting.

It'll be a nice excuse to replay it if/when the new console comes out.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
BOTW is even more amazing on the Dolphin emulator.

Obviously I only support that behaviour if you own the physical copy, but I can see myself switching over when this is playable on that.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
BOTW is even more amazing on the Dolphin emulator.

Obviously I only support that behaviour if you own the physical copy, but I can see myself switching over when this is playable on that.
It runs pretty well on the Deck now too, but that's six years later, so I'm not waiting around that long for TOTK :lol:

Redlambs

Oh I'm sorry I must have missed the part where I said Dolphin?
Considering that's the basis of all switch emulation (as it's technically from Nintendo themselves), once that runs something all emulation can. And both that and the CEMU version (which is likely the most popular on the Deck) were out in some form days after release.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Considering that's the basis of all switch emulation (as it's technically from Nintendo themselves), once that runs something all emulation can. And both that and the CEMU version (which is likely the most popular on the Deck) were out in some form days after release.
The Switch BOTW has always ran notoriously shit on the Deck. It's only very recently with CEMU that they've gotten it running well, I think.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Its just Nintendos official footage that has these frame drops. Some testers brought their own capture equipment which had way less frame dips.

Look at this for example:

Redlambs

The Switch BOTW has always ran notoriously shit on the Deck. It's only very recently with CEMU that they've gotten it running well, I think.
How does it run now? Because if it's sorted, this will be a very quick turnaround.

1440 native with unlimited frames on the PC is an absolute dream, and being able to adjust the weapon degrading/arrow amount is worth it alone.

b82REZ

How does it run now? Because if it's sorted, this will be a very quick turnaround.

1440 native with unlimited frames on the PC is an absolute dream, and being able to adjust the weapon degrading/arrow amount is worth it alone.
I think I'm the only person that liked the weapon degradation. Made you consider various ways to approach combat. I'm glad they kept it in and then expanded upon it with the Fuse ability.

Redlambs

I think I'm the only person that liked the weapon degradation. Made you consider various ways to approach combat. I'm glad they kept it in and then expanded upon it with the Fuse ability.
I always agreed with what they were going for, it just needed tweaking imo and in the emulator you can do that.

Fuse is going to spawn some ridiculously imaginative stuff from the usual crowd who excel at finding the most creative things to do. I mean we still get new videos of things people are finding 6 years later, imagine what it's going to be like with this one :lol:

b82REZ

I always agreed with what they were going for, it just needed tweaking imo and in the emulator you can do that.

Fuse is going to spawn some ridiculously imaginative stuff from the usual crowd who excel at finding the most creative things to do. I mean we still get new videos of things people are finding 6 years later, imagine what it's going to be like with this one :lol:
Fuse and Ultra Hand are game changers. You'll have people flying Guardians into Ganondorf and other madness.

Skill Up scratched the surface of the possibilities in that preview. I'm glad he tried to push the limits of what was available to him rather than playing safe and not highlighting the new features.

decorativeed

My Switch has died, and how incredible the sandbox looks in this has made me decide to wait for the Switch 2 so I can play it for the first time at its best. Nintendo are still amazing with what they come up with, that gameplay just looks insane.
But by now you know that Nintendo will likely make you wait an age for them to port over the most obvious titles, drip-feeding them over the course of 6-7 years!

Balljy

But by now you know that Nintendo will likely make you wait an age for them to port over the most obvious titles, drip-feeding them over the course of 6-7 years!
Yeah, that's annoyingly likely. I'm hoping for more of a breath of the wild type thing where it'll be a release day game for the new console. I'm not sure if I want to replace my dead Switch now as it's obviously going to be superceded in the next year or two.

Redlambs

I am sure Dolphin only emulates GameCube and Wii, so how are you running a WiiU/Switch title on it?
Cemu is the one I use on PC to run BOTW, but the roots all come from the same place. I've just always referred to Dolphin, as that's actual the dev kit side Nintendo used. It's actually interesting they didn't take bigger notice of the open source emu, since they have their own version with the same name.

I've not tried any other emulator for the switch actually, I really should have a look.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They did feck all for Zelda’s 35th year anniversary.
Nintendo will either not rush to release Zelda on the new Switch or might do this at launch. New Switch may be released this Winter on in 5 years. I don’t think anyone can really predict anything about Nintendo.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Haven't found the 600+ Koroks yet? Amateur hour here
Sometimes I wonder if adding such in-game tasks are as immoral as loot crates. I guess it depends on whether you consider completionism a mental disorder that leads to no joy or not :lol:

decorativeed

Sometimes I wonder if adding such in-game tasks are as immoral as loot crates. I guess it depends on whether you consider completionism a mental disorder that leads to no joy or not :lol:
I found a lot of joy looking for all those Korok seeds after finishing the game. It was a bit like licking the plate clean after a great meal though!