Gaming The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I always thought botw was overrated due to the lack of things that made Zelda games great. Being great dungeons, good stories albeit a bit simplistic that worked(see oot and majoras mask) and great bossfights. And getting gear that was essential to beating the bosses and the dungeons. I hope they improve on that, but considering the succes of botw i doubt it.
Agree. I loved BotW despite those things, but for a Zelda game, the enemy variety, lack of interesting boss fights, the new weapons actually meaning something and lack of complex dungeons were all big losses. It just says a lot for how well made the game was that it succeeded so much despite these issues.

By the looks of it the weapon stuff is the same (well you can craft them) but in terms of getting a hook shot that opens new things up, or the boomerang being cool and useful, the bow being a big deal... Unfortunately doesn't seem to be changing. But I'll be happy if they sort out the dungeons and enemies.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
what’s with all the claim of lack of dungeons in BOTW? The shrines were basically mini dungeons and so were the blight fights.

No more getting equipments that was essential to the game? That’s the champion ability ffs :lol:

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
what’s with all the claim of lack of dungeons in BOTW? The shrines were basically mini dungeons and so were the blight fights.
I think many people have a preference for a handful of massive temples rather than hundreds of mini temples. I tend to agree, but I also loved BOTW despite this.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah I doubt it will have much of an impact. However, have you played any other LoZ games before?
Yeah, quite a few. Both myself and the other half will have a go with this.

I’ve got BotW, but fallen out with gaming for the most part and haven’t touched it.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Yeah, quite a few. Both myself and the other half will have a go with this.

I’ve got BotW, but fallen out with gaming for the most part and haven’t touched it.
Ah well I would recommend trying to go BotW first. You are essentially playing full price for 2 games which will likely have a similar feel. Due to the large gap of releases, TotK will feel more like a new game for those (like myself) who played this years ago.

If you are still keen on getting TotK, maybe wait to see some feedback from us who have played the 1st one to see how they compare?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ah well I would recommend trying to go BotW first. You are essentially playing full price for 2 games which will likely have a similar feel. Due to the large gap of releases, TotK will feel more like a new game for those (like myself) who played this years ago.

If you are still keen on getting TotK, maybe wait to see some feedback from us who have played the 1st one to see how they compare?
I’ve a friend who curses me out every other month for not having played the first one yet, and he’s been on at me to get this on release, which is how I know about it.

Got a few long haul flights coming up over the next few months, which seem like the opportune time to give this a go.

My OH wants to play this, so it’ll not go ignored even if I don’t pick up my enthusiasm.

I’ve little doubt it’ll be a GotY contender.

atkar83

My wife was not a fan of me when botw came out...it had its hooks in me for a good six weeks. Now we have two kids, I guess all three of them will be annoyed with how distant I'll seem when all that'll be on my mind is playing the Switch.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I’ve a friend who curses me out every other month for not having played the first one yet, and he’s been on at me to get this on release, which is how I know about it.

Got a few long haul flights coming up over the next few months, which seem like the opportune time to give this a go.

My OH wants to play this, so it’ll not go ignored even if I don’t pick up my enthusiasm.

I’ve little doubt it’ll be a GotY contender.
Oh it's a must do mate, especially with 6 weeks to go until the 2nd is released. Although, I would say give it a little break between the two, if you do manage to get some airtime with BotW, as It would suck to feel burnout going from one to the other so soon!

Enjoy anyway, whichever one you get into first.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Can’t believe this is out so soon.
I swore they put TBD 2023 at the start of this year, and had a right fear of it being until the end of the year. Now its just over a month away I could not be more buzzing!

Will fill in the month's with a bit of Advance Wars reboot, due in 10 days to kill the time :drool:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Oh it's a must do mate, especially with 6 weeks to go until the 2nd is released. Although, I would say give it a little break between the two, if you do manage to get some airtime with BotW, as It would suck to feel burnout going from one to the other so soon!

Enjoy anyway, whichever one you get into first.
Cheers.

decorativeed

My wife was not a fan of me when botw came out...it had its hooks in me for a good six weeks. Now we have two kids, I guess all three of them will be annoyed with how distant I'll seem when all that'll be on my mind is playing the Switch.
Similar here. I only got a switch during the first lockdown, but I was hooked to BotW for weeks.

Working from home is still a thing for me, so we'll see how well I prioritise come 12th of May!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
With this largely using the same world, it's probably better to squeeze the maximum out of BOTW before jumping to the new one as going the opposite direction could feel underwhelming. I've put about 30-35 hours into BOTW and have complete like 40 shrines, discovered entire world and got some nice weapons but have not beaten even one of the beasts yet (I'm already at the boss battle with Ruta but haven't been bothered to go back and beat him) so think I'll try to finish it before getting TOTK.... though I'm so tempted.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
With this largely using the same world, it's probably better to squeeze the maximum out of BOTW before jumping to the new one as going the opposite direction could feel underwhelming. I've put about 30-35 hours into BOTW and have complete like 40 shrines, discovered entire world and got some nice weapons but have not beaten even one of the beasts yet (I'm already at the boss battle with Ruta but haven't been bothered to go back and beat him) so think I'll try to finish it before getting TOTK.... though I'm so tempted.
It's been 6 years since release. They've squeezed it as it is. Plenty of fresh stuff in this one anyway.

Sarni

It's been 6 years since release. They've squeezed it as it is. Plenty of fresh stuff in this one anyway.
I meant from my point of view or anyone that hasn’t played BOTW before. I’m currently having another playthrough, I didn’t properly get into it the first time I got it at Switch launch, my second approach last year went much better and I got sucked into it but then dropped it in favor of other things. Decided to pick it up one last time before Tears come out and having probably my best time with it. It does help that my character is finally quite good and I have the entire map, I will probably get done with it within the next week or so I have a little break before Tears. Already did two Divine Beasts yesterday, so probably two more next week and then Ganon (I could probably already beat Ganon but would rather do it properly).

It’s really only after my third attempt I realized BOTW is the best game ever made. I knew it was good at first try, I got love it at second attempt but third got me where I should be.

From what I’m reading Tears world is supposed to be based on this but much much bigger. :drool:

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I meant from my point of view or anyone that hasn’t played BOTW before. I’m currently having another playthrough, I didn’t properly get into it the first time I got it at Switch launch, my second approach last year went much better and I got sucked into it but then dropped it in favor of other things. Decided to pick it up one last time before Tears come out and having probably my best time with it. It does help that my character is finally quite good and I have the entire map, I will probably get done with it within the next week or so I have a little break before Tears. Already did two Divine Beasts yesterday, so probably two more next week and then Ganon (I could probably already beat Ganon but would rather do it properly).

It’s really only after my third attempt I realized BOTW is the best game ever made. I knew it was good at first try, I got love it at second attempt but third got me where I should be.

From what I’m reading Tears world is supposed to be based on this but much much bigger. :drool:
I'm on my 2nd attempt right now, and enjoying it far more too now I understand how to do it properly. It's absolutely ridiculous how vast and varied it is, being able to play it in any manner you choose.

If tears of the kingdom is even bigger, then feck me it sounds like I wont need to buy another game this year :lol:

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

I really enjoyed the DLC as well for what it's worth.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm on my 2nd attempt right now, and enjoying it far more too now I understand how to do it properly.
This is the key to it. Most people would enjoy the game anyway, but to see why even other devs themselves think it's the most complete world ever made you need imagination to go out and try to play with it. A true sandbox and still no world has even come remotely close to it.

And it all worked perfectly on release too. Absolutely amazing when you think about just how much more this game does than any other with physics alone.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
This is the key to it. Most people would enjoy the game anyway, but to see why even other devs themselves think it's the most complete world ever made you need imagination to go out and try to play with it. A true sandbox and still no world has even come remotely close to it.

And it all worked perfectly on release too. Absolutely amazing when you think about just how much more this game does than any other with physics alone.
Yeah it's actually funny if you've played the game and you watch someone play it for the first time. They're often stuck thinking something won't work because games wouldn't usually let you do that.

Sarni

I havnt seen the previews. Its the same map?
It’s the same world but evolved as it is set in a different timeline so settlements will look differently, and there will be dozens of sky islands and seemingly also underground world to explore. I think even if you spent hundreds of hours with BOTW you will still find yourself having plenty to do.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

I do think it must be the up there with the game I have put the most hours into. Even if you followed a guide it would take you 100+ hours for full completion. Without a doubt the most complete sandbox environment made.

And with TOTK coming out 6 years later I have high hopes that the bar will be raised even higher!

Sarni

I’m hyped now. Just finished BOTW today and feel like this could easily last 3 months of frequent gameplay.

Ainu

I was a bit concerned that this would feel like playing BOTW again, which, after putting about 250 hours into that game, was not something I needed. Not so sure now anymore, though. The sandbox looks insane, like best sandbox game ever made insane. I'm still not convinced that is what I want from a Zelda game, but then again, if it's as good as BOTW was, I can easily get over that.

b82REZ

I was a bit concerned that this would feel like playing BOTW again, which, after putting about 250 hours into that game, was not something I needed. Not so sure now anymore, though. The sandbox looks insane, like best sandbox game ever made insane. I'm still not convinced that is what I want from a Zelda game, but then again, if it's as good as BOTW was, I can easily get over that.
There were a few references to dungeons in that preview so I think he's been told they're back. Looks like the shrines have been folded into the sky islands.

Whatever ends up happening I can't wait. That sandbox looks insane and I can't wait to see how the community manage to push to its limits.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I have seen zero game footage and plan to keep it that way. Going into it completely blind.

b82REZ

I have seen zero game footage and plan to keep it that way. Going into it completely blind.
That video only shows two small areas, no spoilers just teasing the gameplay and sandbox. It's got me well more hyped.