Gaming The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Just started this. Controls feell a bit laggy but i dont if thats just because im using the original joystick from when i bought it. I havnt used my switch for 1.5 years because i loaned it to my nephews. Like they are laggy in the sense there is a 1 second pause if i turn left, right etc.

Last edited:

decorativeed

My missus has taken delivery and is hiding it away until my birthday. I'm away in Liverpool so can't do a thing about it :(

That's a dumping!
That's not right at all!

Just had an email saying mine will be delivered between 2:30 and 3:30 this afternoon, which I'm quietly furious about.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
At my age it is all but impossible for a game sitting at 96 on Metacritic to live up to the hype. TOTK is making it possible.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
People are gonna be doing some outrageous shit with the new systems available to them that’s for sure :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Do you all actually own the Switch? If anyone has played BOTW on a mac do reach out to me. Figuring out how to get that to work decently.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Camera movement seems so slow. Not sure if I’m just not used to it but whacked the sensitivity up to very high.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
2 hours clocked. It is a game of unbelievable quality.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
How are the controls?

From some of the reviews I've been reading, a negative that keeps popping up is the finicky controls because of the amount of crafting and building you can do. I'm on the fence about buying this game, and as someone who would be playing predominantly in handheld that's the main thing that's putting me off.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Played a couple hours last night. So good. Didn't get anywhere just ran around the little island making sure I collect every mushroom and bird egg... Cause.. you know. Definitely makes you want to explore every inch.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
How are the controls?

From some of the reviews I've been reading, a negative that keeps popping up is the finicky controls because of the amount of crafting and building you can do. I'm on the fence about buying this game, and as someone who would be playing predominantly in handheld that's the main thing that's putting me off.
They are finicky

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I feel like I should be creating a massive bridge and just carrying it with me everywhere

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Am i the only one finding the beginning confusing?

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Its Zelda. Get it anyway.
I do like the look of it, but if the controls are shite then it's a deal breaker. Or not necessarily shite, but finicky enough that over the course of a few hours, it detracts from the game.

Have you played it in handheld?

padr81

Supports
Man City
My missus has taken delivery and is hiding it away until my birthday. I'm away in Liverpool so can't do a thing about it :(

That's a dumping!
Grounds for divorce right there!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I do like the look of it, but if the controls are shite then it's a deal breaker. Or not necessarily shite, but finicky enough that over the course of a few hours, it detracts from the game.

Have you played it in handheld?
The main issue with the controls fundamentally comes from the game wanting to be both a robust action game and also an inventive sandbox experience.

The action parts needs to be precise and fluid, and for the most part are, whereas the sandbox elements usually demand you to slow down and methodically think how to use abilities.

They aren't necessarily a problem separately but combined they feel like very opposing styles. A bit like trying to connect two of the same ends of a magnet.

The worst I've found comes during parts where you want to combine items to your arrows. It's so stop-start and feels anything but inuitive. It's surprising for Nintendo actually.

Sometimes it feels like there's too many actions for the amount of buttons available, hence I assume why there's no quick way to restore health without going into the menu screen.

I haven't played it in handheld mode yet so I can't say how it compares to a controller.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
How do you rotate things using ultrahand?
Did you figure this out? I worked out ZL makes things straight/flat. And the stick moves it back and forward but I can’t rotate.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The main issue with the controls fundamentally comes from the game wanting to be both a robust action game and also an inventive sandbox experience.

The action parts needs to be precise and fluid, and for the most part are, whereas the sandbox elements usually demand you to slow down and methodically think how to use abilities.

They aren't necessarily a problem separately but combined they feel like very opposing styles. A bit like trying to connect two of the same ends of a magnet.

The worst I've found comes during parts where you want to combine items to your arrows. It's so stop-start and feels anything but inuitive. It's surprising for Nintendo actually.

Sometimes it feels like there's too many actions for the amount of buttons available, hence I assume why there's no quick way to restore health without going into the menu screen.

I haven't played it in handheld mode yet so I can't say how it compares to a controller.
Cheers for that.

As for the bold, that's the impression I got from just watching/reading reviews of it. There seems to be a lot going on, and particularly in handheld, where it's all a bit cramped anyway, it's going to be extra finicky, I assume. I'm not really in a rush to play the game. While I liked BOTW, I burned out on it rather quickly.

I think my urge to buy it has more to do with the dopamine hit of having something new, as opposed to buying it because I've been looking forward to it for a long time. May just leave it for now.