The looming spectre of.....The Conference League

Chumpsbechumps

Well the Davie Moyes Cup is missing from our trophy cabinet.
I was actually thinking that… :lol:

Im kind of in a “f^*k it” kind of mood with regards to Europe. Even if it’s the David Moyes cup, I want European football as I really think it will help whoever is manager.

I think having more chances to blood new players is essential next season. I think if we aren’t in CL, then euro football is even more important, not least for matchday revenue but I don’t really see the downside.

I don’t expect us to challange next season regardless of manager and signings. I think we should be looking to be a team that can be in Europe and do well in league so don’t understand what benefit people think it will be by taking a CL or nothing attitude.

thisisnottaken1

I was actually thinking that… :lol:

Im kind of in a “f^*k it” kind of mood with regards to Europe. Even if it’s the David Moyes cup, I want European football as I really think it will help whoever is manager.

I think having more chances to blood new players is essential next season. I think if we aren’t in CL, then euro football is even more important, not least for matchday revenue but I don’t really see the downside.

I don’t expect us to challange next season regardless of manager and signings. I think we should be looking to be a team that can be in Europe and do well in league so don’t understand what benefit people think it will be by taking a CL or nothing attitude.
Same here. I’ve become numb to it. EL/ECL is unfortunately our level now, so we might as well try and win it.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'll repeat what I wrote on a CL thread...
"I'd want us to have European football next season, of course, but I genuinely don't care if that comes in the Europa Conference..!! :lol:
Yeah I know the club have the financial benefits of being in the CL, and it may persuade certain players to sign during the transfer window, but honestly, as a fan, I'd just be happy to be involved in a competition that we might actually win.

I would honestly prefer to win the Conference rather than get knocked out at the CL Group stage again"

To add, anyone that feels that even the Europa League is beneath us, well we have been in that competition 6 times the past decade and only won it on one occasion, so the reality is that's our level, it'd be different if we had won it 3 or 4 times, we probably should have done, but we haven't.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I feel like if we got a bit of luck and a decent draw, we could probably make the quarters. Could be a springboard for ten hag.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
We won’t need to worry about this, because we are shite and will drop out of the European places. Chelsea or West Ham will scrimp enough points to knock us out of it.

Complete shit show. Lift the finger INEOS!

Mike Smalling

Is it 7th for the conference league?
Depends if England gets the fifth Champions League, and whether Man City win the FA Cup or not. Currently I believe it's 6th until either of those things have happened. However, both things are pretty likely to happen, which would make it 8th, I believe. If only one of those things happen, it would be 7th.

redshaw

It's our level now, Europa is quite tough, CL we get murdered.

AndySmith1990

Depends if England gets the fifth Champions League, and whether Man City win the FA Cup or not. Currently I believe it's 6th until either of those things have happened. However, both things are pretty likely to happen, which would make it 8th, I believe. If only one of those things happen, it would be 7th.
Doubt we'll finish 8th so it'll probably be the Europa league again for us. Although, ironically could we put ourselves into the conference league if we beat City in the FA cup, meaning it goes to 7th?

Actually, FA cup earns EL qualification right?

Things were so much easier when we knew we'd be in the CL every season

yeaherino

Go for it. We need to build winning mentality from stratch.

We are not Fergie United anymore, other teams are not scared of us anymore.
This exactly. The mystique is gone, but these players don't realize that our former far more glorious players worked their asses off to get that mystique. No easy way to get it back other than to batter the opposition over and over and over again.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Does the Europa place then go to the runner up :lol:
“For now, the easiest thing to comprehend is that the top four in the Premier League qualify for the Champions League.

Fifth would normally earn a Europa League place, with sixth also claiming that honour if the FA Cup winners have already qualified for Europe.

The same applies when the Carabao Cup winners have already qualified for Europe, with the next-best-placed team in the Premier League qualifying for the play-off stages of the Europa Conference League.”

Woziak

Would need to finish 7th which is probably 2 places higher than we’ll end up!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Does this tournament have music?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Our best chance at salvaging the season is literally the FA cup. Guarantees we play Europa League ahead of Nice and we're not finishing in the EL places in the league by the looks of it.

Wilt

Just play the kids if Utd end up in the conference league. Let them enjoy the experience European football.

Mike Smalling

So with the English teams falling hard on their dicks yesterday, it looks unlikely that England will get that 5th Champions League spot. If City then win the FA Cup, which seems pretty likely let's be honest, that would mean that 7th position gives a spot in the Europa Conference League - which is exactly the spot we currently hold in the table.

We need to move down a spot, move up a spot or win the FA Cup to avoid meme tournament. The former seems most likely.

justsomebloke

Conference League? That's if we have a pretty good season finish. At worst, we could be talking about 10th place.

Unam333

I really don't care about playing in the Conference League/ Europa League. It's a European trophy. Extra games means more playtime for our youngsters hopefully. We don't belong in the Champions League. It's unfortunate we don't get CL money though...

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Just play the kids if Utd end up in the conference league. Let them enjoy the experience European football.
In days gone by the kids would benefit - however does the current United first team not need Euro experience? I mean outside of two or three of them the pedigree is very poor

Wilt

In days gone by the kids would benefit - however does the current United first team not need Euro experience? I mean outside of two or three of them the pedigree is very poor
You may be right, but I’d much prefer to see the youngsters play.

That said, it’s all irrelevant because we know no matter how weak the opposition, be they amateur or semI professional, ETH will play his strongest possible team.

SuperSub81

You may be right, but I’d much prefer to see the youngsters play.

That said it’s all irrelevant because we know no matter how weak the opposition, be they amateur or semI professional ETH will play his strongest possible team.
Most of the youngsters play in the first team anyway, so it makes no difference.

Robertd0803

You can see us playing in this and EtH insisting on playing his strongest team Thursday nights in feck knows where and then wondering how we get out worked by everyone we play on the Sunday afternoon.

Chumpsbechumps

Does this tournament have music?
I actually just came here to ask it. I was starting to get myself pumped about the “Thursday nights are Europa nights” theme tune and then remembered it’s a completely different tournament.

MyBloodIsRed

If we have the conference league we should field a mostly reserve side like the old days of what we fielded in the League Cup. Getting our League form back and going for CL next season is a must!!!

stevoc

Would never happen, every time we ended up in the Europa League loads of people say similar. Hasn't happened yet.

Kopral Jono

I'm warming up to the idea of us competing in the Conference League next season. We have a very realistic chance of going all the way and if we do just that we will be the first football club to have won every Uefa club competition that has ever existed. It's a nice milestone for a club in transition to achieve.

Todd

You can see us playing in this and EtH insisting on playing his strongest team Thursday nights in feck knows where and then wondering how we get out worked by everyone we play on the Sunday afternoon.
Let's be honest, ETH isn't gonna be around to deal with that

Gordon S

Our squad is 100% good enough to compete in both EL and Conference. Jose managed to win EL with a squad no stronger than this one and Ole got us to a final in EL as well, so that is certainly not above us.