Film The Lord of the Rings (and other movies that you absolutely have to watch at least once a year)

Reiver

I watch the six Star Wars movies at least once per year.
Also: the Royal Tenenbaums, The Terminator and Shawshank.

Ady87

Wait, what? How can you have watched the first one but not the last one?

That's like watching half a movie?

I wish I could go back and watch them for the first time again in the cinema.
I remember going to watch these when cinema was genuinely magic. LOTR and Harry Potter same summer with some other blockbusters too.

Looking forward to the new movie.

MiceOnMeth

Did the recent gollum video game which flopped hard not teach them that nobody cares about that gammy little feck?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Did the recent gollum video game which flopped hard not teach them that nobody cares about that gammy little feck?
They did. Rated 6/10 on steam and costs $50. Saw some gameplay videos back then. Feck that, it was awful. They didn't learn. How interesting can a game be when the character is not interesting (on top of the game being dogshit quality).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't any more as there is always lots of great new TV to watch but this used to be my list

Godfather
Godfather 2
Alien
Aliens
Terminator
T2
Apocalypse Now
Three Colours Blue
Truly Madly Deeply
Blues Brothers

And less often the first three Star Wars and Star Trek movies.

Big Andy

Bloke
My son met Elijah Wood at the weekend at a Comic-Con, nice guy. I wanted him to meet Sean Astin, as I've grown up with his stuff (Goonies, LOTR, TMNT (with my son) and Stranger Things so I could geek out but he was adamant that he wanted his Frodo Funko pop signed instead.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I watch the six Star Wars movies at least once per year.
Also: the Royal Tenenbaums, The Terminator and Shawshank.
Speaking of 6 Star Wars movies, those last 3 crap ones have really given me an appreciation of the prequels.

Big Andy

Bloke
The film won't be about Gollum. I bet he'll have less than 10 minutes screen time.
Well they are searching for him :lol:

Will it be set after Hobbit when he loses the ring, to when they catch him and torture him taking us to the "BAGGGGGGIINNNNS, SHIIIIIRE" bit at the start of Fellowship?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
No, no, no. The prequels are by some distance shitter than the sequels, which were just a mess.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
No, no, no. The prequels are by some distance shitter than the sequels, which were just a mess.
I'm sure they're shitter technically, but the new ones (bar maybe the first one a little bit, as copy pasting episode 4 is hard to feck up) just dont resonate with me at all. I dont even remember most of the characters names.

pacifictheme

The prequels have a charm the last three simply don't have. I don't love star wars but I have seen them all and the most recent ones are arguably better films but have absolutely no magic, they are worse star wars films if that makes any sense at all.

My kids are into star wars now and they love the prequels, watch them all the time, they watched the sequels once and don't talk about them or watch them ever.

Anyway, who the feck wants a film about follum. Wish they would leave lotr alone if they can't do anything decent with the franchise. That Amazon show was very shit.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Well they are searching for him :lol:

Will it be set after Hobbit when he loses the ring, to when they catch him and torture him taking us to the "BAGGGGGGIINNNNS, SHIIIIIRE" bit at the start of Fellowship?
I bet it'll be about people hunting for the ring way before the events of The Hobbit.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The prequels had nothing going for them. Tonally bad, Bad acting, bad writing, bad and poorly constructive narrative and fundamentally there were soo boring.

The sequels on the other hand were entertaingly bad.

Anyway, splitting hairs.
SW, film wise, has been held up by the first 2 after that it's been going down hill.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The prequels have a charm the last three simply don't have. I don't love star wars but I have seen them all and the most recent ones are arguably better films but have absolutely no magic, they are worse star wars films if that makes any sense at all.

My kids are into star wars now and they love the prequels, watch them all the time, they watched the sequels once and don't talk about them or watch them ever.

Anyway, who the feck wants a film about follum. Wish they would leave lotr alone if they can't do anything decent with the franchise. That Amazon show was very shit.
The prequels do not have charm.
They were made in a warehouse because GL couldn't get off his fecking backside.

Ask the actors and crew members their experiences on set of the prequels. Nothing charming and wonderous about the production of those films.

Also, GL ruined Jake Lloyd's life, so screw him.

pacifictheme

The prequels do not have charm.
They were made in a warehouse because GL couldn't get off his fecking backside.

Ask the actors and crew members their experiences on set of the prequels. Nothing charming and wonderous about the production of those films.

Also, GL ruined Jake Lloyd's life, so screw him.
I don't care where they were made or whether the crew were happy. I am telling you what the target audience of star wars (children) think about them.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The target audience wants to watch plodding, incoherent boring lazy ass space politics with some unlikable characters and cheap looking special effects? Sure.

Anyone that thinks the prequel trilogy in retrospect has been made better by the sequel trilogy is mad. They're both absolute shite bollocks.

Just stick with the first 2 I say.

Big Andy

Bloke
I bet it'll be about people hunting for the ring way before the events of The Hobbit.
But he only turned from Smaegol to Gollum after he found the ring and murdered his mate, so it wouldn't make sense that way.

Fingeredmouse

I'd assume it'll be about Aragorn and Gandalf, etc trying to track down Gollum in the time period between Bilbo leaving the Shire and Frodo leaving which is (if I remember correctly) 17 years. There's an appendix on this, which they have the rights to, and there was a fan film years ago on this exact subject with a similar, or perhaps, identical title.

It'll probably be shit.

pacifictheme

The target audience wants to watch plodding, incoherent boring lazy ass space politics with some unlikable characters and cheap looking special effects? Sure.

Anyone that thinks the prequel trilogy in retrospect has been made better by the sequel trilogy is mad. They're both absolute shite bollocks.

Why would you stick with the first two when episode 6 is the best one of the lot?

Kids ignore the politics and just enjoy all the action, the characters, loads of jedi and enemies etc, they love it. My kids just fast forward to the battles usually. In the sequel trilogy you get one jedi and one sith. Luke and smoke do nothing. There is nothing for a child to get excited about.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'd assume it'll be about Aragorn and Gandalf, etc trying to track down Gollum in the time period between Bilbo leaving the Shire and Frodo leaving which is (if I remember correctly) 17 years. There's an appendix on this, which they have the rights to, and there was a fan film years ago on this exact subject with a similar, or perhaps, identical title.

It'll probably be shit.
In the book it's 17 years, in the film it's a few months.

Feels like they're getting people used to recasting so they can reboot the trilogy.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I'm mad, let's go!

Fingeredmouse

In the book it's 17 years, in the film it's a few months.

Feels like they're getting people used to recasting so they can reboot the trilogy.
Oh, yeah. That's inevitable.

I seem to remember in one of the many appendices or commentaries that they mention the compression of that time period and suggest, that for pacing reasons, they don't allude to the time elapsed but that they sort of considered it loose enough that you could interpret it that way. Not that it matters - pretty sure that's where they'll be setting this film.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
But he only turned from Smaegol to Gollum after he found the ring and murdered his mate, so it wouldn't make sense that way.
There's 100s of years of time between him murdering his mate and the events of The Hobbit. Plenty of scope to tell a new story about some new characters trying (and failing) to find the ring.

AfonsoAlves

I just don't understand why they don't do a three part Aragorn film:

Part 1: Arathorn gets killed, Estel hidden in Rivendell, Raised by Elrond, Coming of Age, Raid on Orcs in Misty Mountains with Elladan / Elrohir, Meets Arwen, leaves home for Dunedain tribes, meets Halbarad etc,

Part 2: Goes to Rohan and serving Thengel in Rohan's Wars. Joins Ecthelion as Thorongil fighting as a captain against Mordor. Raid on Umbar. Disappearance into Mordor. Recovery in Lothlorien, meets Arwen again, gets engaged, heads home.

Part 3: Heads home, Elrond pissed about his daughter, can manufacture some bs drama for modern audiences though there wasn't really any, goes back to the dunedain tribes, raid on the trollshaws, spends 2 decades hunting down gollum eventually heading to Mirkwood and meeting Thranduil/Legolas. Ends with Strider protecting the shire with the Dunedain.

I mean there's quite literally 87 years of untouched lore with Aragorn that encompasses shit tonnes of war, content, drama, romance, that is all canonically Tolkien and nobody has touched. On quite possibly the most popular male LOTR character.

AfonsoAlves

Actually, quite a few stories from Tolkien have seen zero interest in being made as films, which really surprise me:

1) Beren and Luthien would be a perfect movie length and has an arctypical fairytale type

2) Turin Turambar would also make excellent films

3) Tale of Earendil the Mariner

4) Fall of Gondolin

Chumpsbechumps

Prequels were far better then the newer trilogy. ROTS is a Palpatine masterpiece, who doesn’t love when he finally meets Yoda. I mean f**k off if that doesn’t get you going :D

Went to see TPM in cinema for 25th anniversary and even though it’s a weak one, I still enjoyed it. I’d go see the other two if they were shown but I don’t think I’d go see the newer trilogies.

Rogue one I’d definitely one of the best Star Wars movies. Andor has just made it even better, probably end up being the best story ark in the whole franchise.

I’m very lucky , I can enjoy different movies/shows for different reasons. Don’t get worried about plot or stuff that really doesn’t matter if I’m enjoying the journey. If it’s fun, it’s fun. If it’s serious or proper quality I can enjoy the that too.

Worked in a video shop when I was younger and just love movies. I prefer the Kevin Smith sort of attitude where you want to celebrate and enjoy stuff instead of sh*tting on things.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Actually, quite a few stories from Tolkien have seen zero interest in being made as films, which really surprise me:

1) Beren and Luthien would be a perfect movie length and has an arctypical fairytale type

2) Turin Turambar would also make excellent films

3) Tale of Earendil the Mariner

4) Fall of Gondolin
That's all Silmarillion, rights won't be sold for a while.