Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Gotta feel for the ideologs, so determined to hate this from the start, grimacing through all this fun and sweetness, repeating a this is bad mantra as the show shapes itself into an excellent version of what they probably wanted anyway.

Galadriel is the best. She is warrior princess but a clumsy diplomat, hubristic and vulnerable. Love them Harfoots, leaning into those rustic, salt of the earth clichés. E.T. and Elliot vibes from your magical homeless there. Evil man is sinister enough.

It is a little bit ramshackled with its mixing of tones and temperaments but I think that gives it a certain energy and momentum. It doesn't have that stylistically consistent, singular vision of Peter Jackson but it feels lighter on its feet and less conservative as a result.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
The dwalf and orc scenes are still the best bit about this show. Had to laugh at the table part.

The other story lines I feel are suffering to some extent due to being so slow. Really feels like they are just padding out those parts for now. Hopefully as we get closer to the end of the first season we get some meaningful pay off.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Really enjoyed the last episode, I feel it is building nicely. Don't think we have seen Sauron yet and not sure we will this season. Lots of great characters already - Durin, Elrond, Halbrand, Gil Galad, Elendil, Arondir. I also don't get the hate towards Galadriel, she's totally fine. Maybe everyone was expecting Cate Blanchett

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Gotta feel for the ideologs, so determined to hate this from the start, grimacing through all this fun and sweetness, repeating a this is bad mantra as the show shapes itself into an excellent version of what they probably wanted anyway.

Galadriel is the best. She is warrior princess but a clumsy diplomat, hubristic and vulnerable. Love them Harfoots, leaning into those rustic, salt of the earth clichés. E.T. and Elliot vibes from your magical homeless there. Evil man is sinister enough.

It is a little bit ramshackled with its mixing of tones and temperaments but I think that gives it a certain energy and momentum. It doesn't have that stylistically consistent, singular vision of Peter Jackson but it feels lighter on its feet and less conservative as a result.
You're so full of surprises. Agree with you though.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Bullseye.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
What surprises, I've been attuned to this goodness from the jump. You're the one straggling out here 5 episodes deep.
I mean I never know what you're gonna like or not! But with this and His Dark Materials, I can tell you've kept your childlike amazement.

When's season 3 of that coming out actually?

And I've loved RoP since the first episode, I just started late cos I was traveling in September!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Still a bit torn on this. It just doesn't really hold my attention somehow. The dialogue is too superficial. Definitely will keep watching, but eeeeeeeeh.

Don't get the Galadriel hate though, she's awesome.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Well above the Hobbits, well below the LOTR.

The series is allowing to see the wider world more than 10+ hours of films can, which is very enjoyable
I don't think it's that much below the films. I'd actually say it's on par with TTT and ROTK, not close to Fellowship but that is very differently paced to the show. We've barely had any action in the show yet whereas Jackson smothered the films in action from the books or bits he invented for reasons.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I don't think it's that much below the films. I'd actually say it's on par with TTT and ROTK, not close to Fellowship but that is very differently paced to the show. We've barely had any action in the show yet whereas Jackson smothered the films in action from the books or bits he invented for reasons.
I was torn between saying "quite a bit" rather than "well below". The acting in the three films is far superior for sure, the visuals in this I would say are superior (bar the Warg...), and I think the music is fairly even which surprised me.

Coxy

For me it's nowhere near the films (the films for me are my favourite of all time).

The writing in the series is bland and the episodes have all gone downhill (what has really happened in the last few episodes?). Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying it and still watching (It's lord of the rings!) but it's not a patch on the films.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
For me it's nowhere near the films (the films for me are my favourite of all time).

The writing in the series is bland and the episodes have all gone downhill (what has really happened in the last few episodes?). Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying it and still watching (It's lord of the rings!) but it's not a patch on the films.
Its the fact that when there is action in the show they resolve it very quickly. Added to that there hasn't really been any action yet where you feel like characters are in genuine peril. They're also trying to drip feed the casual viewer important lore, without it being a huge dump that scares people off. They're taking their time rather than just accelerating through the story, doing perhaps the opposite of what occurred with GoT S8, they've also thrown a bunch of storylines and characters into the show and that's meant that its taking time for the pieces to move.

I don't mind the slow pace though, it's a nice break from the fast moving storytelling, more focused on dialogue, world building and character interaction than moving from set piece 1 to set piece 2. I do understand however that this style will not appeal to the masses and it's a very different pacing to the films, which Jackson crammed full of action sequences which he took from the books and invented himself.

Spoony

The People's President
I do understand however that this style will not appeal to the masses and it's a very different pacing to the films, which Jackson crammed full of action sequences which he took from the books and invented himself.
Which is why I preferred the extended editions especially TT. The extra dialogue really helped.

As for this show it'll show the rise and fall of Isildur and Sauron over 5 series so will naturally be slow paced. People had similar complaints about Better Call Saul but that became a truly great series.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I don't mind the slow pace though, it's a nice break from the fast moving storytelling, more focused on dialogue, world building and character interaction than moving from set piece 1 to set piece 2.
Completely agree with this - but as with all shows of this ilk, it's all going to be about the pay-off. The character development and world building is nice as long as it amounts to something long term. But given how the show is produced (apparently storyboarded pretty much all the way through to the end) and the fact they don't have to fear being cancelled, I'm quite confident in that regard. I'm sure future seasons, especially 4 and 5, are going to have tons of action and people will be back here in 100 pages complaining about it and how season 1 was better in its pacing :lol:

SparkedIntoLife

I know who Sauron is…
It’s… Galadriel’s account.

The real Galadriel got off the boat with the other elves at Valinor. This one is Sauron in her body. Not charming enough for Sauron’s guise? The real one had just suffered a mutiny by her army and completely lacks people skills. This one has somehow managed to convince Numenor, a people antagonistic to elves, to fight with ‘her’ and has tamed that loveable rogue Halbrand.

The infamous gurning scene on the horse was just Sauron having a glitch in his benevolent programming and his real nature emerging through the Galadriel body. That’s the only possible explanation for that horrific scene.

(Not serious if you didn’t guess)

Coxy

Completely agree with this - but as with all shows of this ilk, it's all going to be about the pay-off. The character development and world building is nice as long as it amounts to something long term. But given how the show is produced (apparently storyboarded pretty much all the way through to the end) and the fact they don't have to fear being cancelled, I'm quite confident in that regard. I'm sure future seasons, especially 4 and 5, are going to have tons of action and people will be back here in 100 pages complaining about it and how season 1 was better in its pacing :lol:
but what character development have we had? All we know so far is Galadrial is like a petulant teenager, Isildur also similar etc.

I don't mind slow pace either - but the characters aren't being developed, we're not seeing things progress, I mean seriously the last 2-3 episodes could have condensed into 1 and we won't have missed anything. If any of the characters died right now I wouldn't care - the same couldn't be said for the Fellowship where very quickly you started to bond with them all.

I just think the writing has been so dire. As I said earlier, I'm enjoying this - but it's a massive let down for me.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
but what character development have we had? All we know so far is Galadrial is like a petulant teenager, Isildur also similar etc.

I don't mind slow pace either - but the characters aren't being developed, we're not seeing things progress, I mean seriously the last 2-3 episodes could have condensed into 1 and we won't have missed anything. If any of the characters died right now I wouldn't care - the same couldn't be said for the Fellowship where very quickly you started to bond with them all.

I just think the writing has been so dire. As I said earlier, I'm enjoying this - but it's a massive let down for me.
Character setting, if you prefer - they're not going to quite evolve over 5 episodes (though I'd argue that both Galadriel and Halbrand have changed a bit already, and I really don't get the focus on Galadriel). I quite disagree with your feeling on the past few episodes, and the overall assessment. It's not The Wire, but it's not dire at all.

Coxy

Character setting, if you prefer - they're not going to quite evolve over 5 episodes (though I'd argue that both Galadriel and Halbrand have changed a bit already, and I really don't get the focus on Galadriel). I quite disagree with your feeling on the past few episodes, and the overall assessment. It's not The Wire, but it's not dire at all.
Never said it was dire mate - I just feel it's underwhelming. The first couple of episodes were great, but it has gone downhill since.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
You wrote "the writing has been dire" - that's what I was referring to, hence the nod to The Wire (which is traditionally seen as a greatly written show).

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Yeah if the characters had changed a lot over the course of five episodes people would be extremely critical as well.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I know who Sauron is…
It’s… Galadriel’s account.

The real Galadriel got off the boat with the other elves at Valinor. This one is Sauron in her body. Not charming enough for Sauron’s guise? The real one had just suffered a mutiny by her army and completely lacks people skills. This one has somehow managed to convince Numenor, a people antagonistic to elves, to fight with ‘her’ and has tamed that loveable rogue Halbrand.

The infamous gurning scene on the horse was just Sauron having a glitch in his benevolent programming and his real nature emerging through the Galadriel body. That’s the only possible explanation for that horrific scene.

(Not serious if you didn’t guess)
Sure, but it's still brilliant and would deliver Sauron's strategic genius to a new degree. Neat idea, imo.

Spoony

The People's President
We could wrap it up in three more eps. Halbrand becomes Sauron. Pharazon becomes the evil king and Isildur the king of men. Oh and Lenny Henry turns into a womeniser. That'd speed up the development and all.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
We could wrap it up in three more eps. Halbrand becomes Sauron. Pharazon becomes the evil king and Isildur the king of men. Oh and Lenny Henry turns into a womeniser. That'd speed up the development and all.
That's just guaranteed. Every time he stares up at the sky for a few seconds and a pause, it's basically him seeing if there's CCTV on him.

caid

Is he not already a womaniser. He has the multiple wives polygamist thing going for a start. Maybe the harfoots are a weird Lenny Henry polygamist cult and they're all married to him. Thats why they have to keep moving

Fully Fledged

Is he not already a womaniser. He has the multiple wives polygamist thing going for a start. Maybe the harfoots are a weird Lenny Henry polygamist cult and they're all married to him. Thats why they have to keep moving
And if you can't keep up that's on you.

roseguy64

I agree there. This isn't the best thing I have ever seen on TV but it's nowhere near the worst. I'm enjoying it though. So many questions now being posed.

Admittedly I'm a fan of the books and films so it's right up my street but I'm definitely not a Tolkien nerd. There's lots of stuff I don't know about from Middle Earth that came before the Hobbit and tbh I quite like it that way. I have tried several times to read the Silmarilion but I just find it a very very tough read and end up giving up with it.

The show is a solid 8/10 so far from me.
Agree almost entirely with you. It's a 7/10 for me so far though.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I love the lore of middle earth enough to keep sticking with it and try and lose myself in fantasy for an hour for escapism. But when I try and think about standout moments, over 5 episodes you have the Orc prison camp scene and the opening montage with Galadriel, that's about it.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I love the lore of middle earth enough to keep sticking with it and try and lose myself in fantasy for an hour for escapism. But when I try and think about standout moments, over 5 episodes you have the Orc prison camp scene and the opening montage with Galadriel, that's about it.
don’t forget isildur’s sister. i’d disappoint her something rotten.

Coxy

For me the only standout moment has been Numenoir - seeing that for the first time was incredible. Just reinforces how Minas Tirith etc are shadows of the former glories of men.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Khazad'dum opening was terrific too. Love the music.

edit: Oh and Galadriel sailing to Valinor and jumping off was visually astounding.

Last edited: