Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Thankfully it doesn't have awful songs and poetry.
To be fair the adapted "Lament for the Rohirrim" Theoden speech at Helm's Deep was the highlight of the movie trilogy.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
What is this bloody show?

Watched the first 20 mins of this episode and am having to take a cringe break. That Harfoot song interlude, with the Dirty Irish Tinker styling was the low point of this series so far, made the songs from The Hobbit sound like masterpieces. Like someone gave a mid-morning CBeebies kids show director the reins to a billion dollar project. That Eminen looking fool turning up at the crash site and now Galadriel is engaging in training in a hilariously awful scene.

Going back in armed with alcohol, please get better.

Gave up, not enough booze in the house.
Mithril containing the light of the simarils, Gil Galad is even worse than Galadriel, Durin, Disa and Elrond are the only light in this shit show

Galadriel has some sweet Prime benefits, getting that cool Elvish armor delivered to her in Numenor
Couldn't agree more
Don't care what anyone says, I like the Harfoot parts.
They're comfortably the worst part about it for me. :lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They're comfortably the worst part about it for me. :lol:
I’d much rather spend time with them and Meteorite Man than Galadriel or the milf and her stupid kid…as long as they’re not singing.

But mostly screen time without Elrond and Durin Jr(??) is either dull or cringey. Mostly.

caid

I like the harfoots too.
'Take their wheels' cracked me up. Vicious little bastards.

Bobski

I’d much rather spend time with them and Meteorite Man than Galadriel or the milf and her stupid kid…as long as they’re not singing.

But mostly screen time without Elrond and Durin Jr(??) is either dull or cringey. Mostly.
The Harfoots just create so much dissonance for me, on one hand presented as this charming community of friendly travellers with their cute little songs and rituals, but they are also vicious, mercenary little shits who will drop a hurt or elderly member of their community like a stone at first opportunity. If the writers were better than the hacks they are this might create an interesting conflict later as the hypocrisy is explored but they are hacks so likely they will just ignore it.

Generally this show is great as background filler, mute it, put some tunes on and enjoy the beauty of the visuals.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain

Apart from Elrond and Durin Jr, and the hero elf dude, i pretty much roll my eyes at every other character, especially the milfs "stupid kid"... He has a shit haircut and one of the most punchable faces ive ever seen. Actually scrap that, second most punchable face after that other kid, the waste of space sailors son who is just an absolute melt. Whatever special role he has to play coming should be written off asap because he is so unlikeable, another terrible decision by the casting director or whoever it was that hired him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I thought Episode 5 was really good and I'm loving the series. The criticism this show is getting is beyond ridiculous.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Tolkien fans.
Yeah I know exactly the issue. The hardcore fans are insanely judgemental.

It's a ridiculously complicated world to bring to life on screen. Some people are just never happy are they?

Can't wait for next week's episode already.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

It's a ridiculously complicated world to bring to life on screen. Some people are just never happy are they?

The pre-release criticism might have been ‘beyond ridiculous’, but there are plenty of legit things to criticize since even from non-hardcore Tolkien nerds.

Either extreme, from it being the worst or best thing ever, is tiresome as always though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The pre-release criticism might have been ‘beyond ridiculous’, but there are plenty of legit things to criticize since even from non-hardcore Tolkien nerds.

Either extreme, from it being the worst or best thing ever, is tiresome as always though.
I agree there. This isn't the best thing I have ever seen on TV but it's nowhere near the worst. I'm enjoying it though. So many questions now being posed.

Admittedly I'm a fan of the books and films so it's right up my street but I'm definitely not a Tolkien nerd. There's lots of stuff I don't know about from Middle Earth that came before the Hobbit and tbh I quite like it that way. I have tried several times to read the Silmarilion but I just find it a very very tough read and end up giving up with it.

The show is a solid 8/10 so far from me.

Sylar

The episodes are all over an hour long but they fly by.
I like the episodes. For me it's a brand new story so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I always find it funny when people call things fan fiction because isn't that everything that doesn't involve the originator? Maybe I'm being too simplistic with that

glazed

Honestly I don't think that's the problem. I consider myself a purist and I'm quite happy to watch adaptations while recognising that it isn't Tolkien, it's fan fiction.

The problem is that the story isn't very interesting and nor are many of the characters so far likable or well written. Durin and Elrond are ok but that's about it.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I like the episodes. For me it's a brand new story so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I always find it funny when people call things fan fiction because isn't that everything that doesn't involve the originator? Maybe I'm being too simplistic with that
I agree, think I said it before but how I see it is would I rather this show exists or not?

I certainly am glad it does. It will also get better as it has even over 5 episodes.

Spoony

The People's President
Honestly I don't think that's the problem. I consider myself a purist and I'm quite happy to watch adaptations while recognising that it isn't Tolkien, it's fan fiction.

The problem is that the story isn't very interesting and nor are many of the characters so far likable or well written. Durin and Elrond are ok but that's about it.
Lord of the Rings aside Tolkien'a work is boring.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Apart from Elrond and Durin Jr, and the hero elf dude, i pretty much roll my eyes at every other character, especially the milfs "stupid kid"... He has a shit haircut and one of the most punchable faces ive ever seen. Actually scrap that, second most punchable face after that other kid, the waste of space sailors son who is just an absolute melt. Whatever special role he has to play coming should be written off asap because he is so unlikeable, another terrible decision by the casting director or whoever it was that hired him.
Do you mean Isildur? Because if you do I've got some bad news for you:

Unless you just mean the actor's bad, in which case fair enough.

Spoony

The People's President

I enjoyed episode 5 the most so far, it'll only get more engrossing because we've got into the show and the focus will shift to Middle Earth.

glazed

Lord of the Rings aside Tolkien'a work is boring.
Well yeah it is. It appeals to a certain kind of completist who gets additional pleasure from revisiting the original books while adding to their knowldege of the detailed world building in order to re-experiece the stories over and over in new contexts. Definitely a geek thing. So anything that isn't consistent with that world building is going to be rejected.

But rejecting this as Tolkien doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed for what it is. The problem is not lack of deep faith with JRRT writing. The problem is that it's not well written itself.

Spoony

The People's President
Well yeah it is. It appeals to a certain kind of completist who gets additional pleasure from revisiting the original books while adding to their knowldege of the detailed world building in order to re-experiece the stories over and over in new contexts. Definitely a geek thing. So anything that isn't consistent with that world building is going to be rejected.

But rejecting this as Tolkien doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed for what it is. The problem is not lack of deep faith with JRRT writing. The problem is that it's not well written itself.
I've enjoyed it far more than any Tolkien I've read bar The Fellowship. Christ did I skip the blinking songs and poetry. I thought his characters were 2 dimensional, the movies actually gave life to them, his(Tolkien's) work was too tedious for me. I genuinely tried though but it bored me. As others have said, the TV series doesn't deserve anywhere near the criticism its getting. Only Tolkien fans are having issues with it.

Bobski

I've enjoyed it far more than any Tolkien I've read bar The Fellowship. Christ did I skip the blinking songs and poetry. I thought his characters were 2 dimensional, the movies actually gave life to them, his(Tolkien's) work was too tedious for me. I genuinely tried though but it bored me. As others have said, the TV series doesn't deserve anywhere near the criticism its getting. Only Tolkien fans are having issues with it.
That is simply not true, and a bit insane to think that only Tolkien fans could find much of the writing in this subpar.

glazed

Only Tolkien fans are having issues with it.
Just not true. A lot of Tolkien fans are enjoying the visuals and thre's a huge Tolkien fanfiction tradition. Of course the books aren't for everyone and that's fine. I just think there are basic technical problems with this in that they spent all that money and then didn't hire talented writers.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Galadriel and Numenor alone drop the score by 3 or 4 points.

Maybe a Elrond/Durin centric show could reach those heights.
Don't agree. Elrond and Durin definitely the highlights so far but Galadriel has been perfectly fine for me. I don't get the fuss.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Don't agree. Elrond and Durin definitely the highlights so far but Galadriel has been perfectly fine for me. I don't get the fuss.
She's a woman with an attitude. People don't like that. I have no problems with Galadriel right now, she's not overly likeable but that won't be the case for the entire 5 seasons, she needs room to develop as a character. It'd be pretty dull if she was just a Cate Blanchett regen.

I'm finding the Numenor storyline ok, I prefer the Dwarves obviously but given I know where the Numenor story takes us i'm perfectly happy with it getting more minutes. I think the only characters I have no opinion of right now is Celebrimbor, Isildurs sister and the son of bearded chap that I can never remember the name of. Also a shame we haven't had more scenes with Daddy Durin. I would say the lack of action has been an issue for some people.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
That one bored the bell out of me, and I’d enjoyed the first four, somewhat. I guess it was mostly a set up episode though so I’ll forgive it.

Galadriel is such a bad actress, she has one expression: constipated.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The writers create some serious cringe. I do whoever enjoy the attempt at connect the dots of a past that has a lot of widespread dots to connect. I am a huge fan of the books. Not a huge fan of Christopher’s work.

I am enjoying the series, but they do need better writers, both for dialog and charcter development. So far the story is a mile wide and an inch deep.

Himannv

I've watched this up until Episode 4. It took a bit of time to really get going, but it's been a great little series that looks like it has a lot of potential. I'm not sure I gather why there is so much whinging in this thread based only on what I've seen of the show so far.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I was trying to wait until the end of S1 and it was all ready to binge, but I was weak and failed …

Thank heavens I take no notice of online reviews, it’s brilliant. I’ve loved every minute so far and now regret starting it, cursing myself to being stuck on a one-per-week dose.

Can’t see any issues with Galadriel at all, I think she’s good for this stage of her life and there will be so much scope for her character to develop. I like pretty much all the characters with Durin and Elrond being my favourites so far. I’m looking forward to watching the stranger develop too.

Expecting Amazon to 100% recreate Tolkiens world without any artistic license was folly, the series has to appeal to non Tolkien fans too so to see small changes or additions made should have been expected.

I’m a big fan of Tolkiens works and, after seeing public opinion, was a bit worried but no need. It’s big and glossy and packed with names that we’ve only seen on the pages of books. It’s dead exciting.

Amazon will no doubt rinse the LOTR world for all its worth, I doubt TROP will be the sole output. I can see all sorts of series, mini-series and even films coming out. I hope anyway.

It actually took me 3 episodes to twig I was watching Lenny Henry too.:lol:

Spoony

The People's President
Those proto hobbits are a nasty bunch aren't they? Well, they can be. Not that they have to be angelic.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don't either, I think she's great overall. Really enjoying the show and how they are keeping us guessing as to a few of the characters "real" identities.

Poppy is Sauron

Godfather

She's a woman with an attitude. People don't like that.
Oh God so every criticism aimed towards her storyline will be down to that right?

It's by far the most tedious and boring storyline of the whole show so far and this has nothing to do with her attitude. The dialogues are cringey and zero action shown (yet, things will hopefully change now).

Durin's and the South's stories have been good thus far. Overall the show is a decent 6/10.

Spoony

The People's President
I
I don't either, I think she's great overall. Really enjoying the show and how they are keeping us guessing as to a few of the characters "real" identities.

Poppy is Sauron
Same here. I don't get the issue. Anyway I suspect we won't see Sauron until the end of series or the start of the next. This is Isildur’s story over 5 seasons so it's going to be slow paced.

But yeah it's a good'en.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I've got it in my head that the season will end with a tease/glimpse of Sauron, but he'll have no direct involvement beforehand

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
just started watching this and some of the actors are black?