Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
“Give me the meat, and give it to me raw.” Okay then…

I don’t remember who I’m stealing this from but I hope Galadriel turns out to be this show’s Ahsoka from Clone Wars: everyone hated her at first because she was annoying but was a favorite by the end. It is probably easier to do that with a cartoon than an actress though.

I’m thinking The Stranger’s injury
is from using his power in a body he’s not used to. Maybe he needs a staff? Not a balrog now methinks, but surely it’s too obvious that it’s Gandalf. One of the two people we’re guessing at, the other being Sauron, has to be a surprise…just has to be. The Stranger could still be one of the other wizard people.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Perfect example of episode being successfully built without Galadriel being Rambo Commando and Arondir doing Jackie Chan.

Gonna repeat it like mantra - Elrond and Durin is the show's most quality strength as they bring bit of an energy from Peter Jackson's LOTR on top of some political exchange which was never that strong in other adaptations.

Keep at it, show.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Aye, Durin and Elrond have carried the opening 5 episodes for me (can add Disa to that too). But its certainly building up now and it's finding it's rhythm. No character teleporting like in GoT, it's a slow, gradual build up but as I said a few days back, the merit of the buildup is only validated by a decent payoff. 3 episodes left to see if it was worth it. Again, can't fault the visuals or the music, another beautiful episode.

Clearly not Sauron, I can't exactly remember what the Orc said about the meteor man in the previous episode. Anyone remember exactly what he said?

Sylar

Binge watched this and caught up.really enjoying this. Not a huge Tolkien fan so can't compare and contrast, but as a TV show medium it's mostly good

I'm sure it's been mentioned but that horse riding scene was surely an inside joke right? No way that was seen as the best version to put into an episode

Other than that I think it started slow (as it needed to build the world) but has gotten better with every episode

I've enjoyed most of the different stories in the different areas. I like it's not just focused on one person but on different people and different areas. And that there are a few mysteries on some of the characters.

Visually fantastic

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Great episode. Particularly liked the cut from Halbrand and his little satchel to the dock. I think we can now finally rule out the theory that he's Sauron.

Eriku

What if Sauron decided to form himself into woman ? Nobody expects the Numenor inquisition.
It’s…!

Monty Python’s Rings of Power

Mind you, would give them a lot of leeway for random plot-twists preceded by "and now for something completely different"

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It’s…!

Monty Python’s Rings of Power

Mind you, would give them a lot of leeway for random plot-twists preceded by "and now for something completely different"
Exactly. She's a witch !

Something completely different would be if Sauron was multiple persons just to form himself in last episode like T-1000 from Terminator II, from liquid. Coolest show ever.

Zen86

I’m 3 eps in and it’s been a bit meh so far. I’m not a Tolkien nerd by any means but I’ve read all the books including the Silmarillion, albeit a long time ago. Bit weird to cast Galadriel as a walking cliche reckless warrior woman hellbent on revenge. Something about Elrond which doesn’t quite sit right either. It feels like quite a few characters from the books have just been dumped in for the sake of it. And I don’t actually give a toss about any of them at the moment. Just feels like the storyline is a load of generic “lord of the rings type stuff” going on up to now.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I do wonder if half the cast members are even aware of who exactly is who.

Quite enjoyed the song in this episode, different version of the one from the trailer.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Was that character named yet? Am thinking it was too brief so far.
Checked the Prime video x-ray, there is no name given for the character.

I am back to believing we haven’t seen Sauron yet if it comes to pass he makes an appearance.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It isn't Sauron, it was confirmed not him when the Internet went all sassy when the character was released in the trailer and everyone got upset thinking it was Sauron. :lol:

I mean for one that character is a woman.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Even more reason to believe it Sauron.
when the trailers first came out I thought it would be him. However, now seeing the episode it is one of his followers, so I'm very firmly in the camp of "we won't be seeing Sauron this season".

I don't see them introducing Sauron in the first of 5 seasons.

Bobski

What is this bloody show?

Watched the first 20 mins of this episode and am having to take a cringe break. That Harfoot song interlude, with the Dirty Irish Tinker styling was the low point of this series so far, made the songs from The Hobbit sound like masterpieces. Like someone gave a mid-morning CBeebies kids show director the reins to a billion dollar project. That Eminen looking fool turning up at the crash site and now Galadriel is engaging in training in a hilariously awful scene.

Going back in armed with alcohol, please get better.

Gave up, not enough booze in the house.
Mithril containing the light of the simarils, Gil Galad is even worse than Galadriel, Durin, Disa and Elrond are the only light in this shit show

Galadriel has some sweet Prime benefits, getting that cool Elvish armor delivered to her in Numenor

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

It isn't Sauron, it was confirmed not him when the Internet went all sassy when the character was released in the trailer and everyone got upset thinking it was Sauron. :lol:

I mean for one that character is a woman.
So they have come out said it wasn't to appease the transphobes. That's disappointing. Not that it isn't the character because they obviously haven't changed who it was but rather that they would come out to deter the transphobes. I would have rather they left this character as an option until they made the big reveal.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
So they have come out said it wasn't to appease the transphobes. That's disappointing. Not that it isn't the character because they obviously haven't changed who it was but rather that they would come out to deter the transphobes. I would have rather they left this character as an option until they made the big reveal.
People aren't ready for Sauron with babylons. But they better get ready.

Fooza

Annatar was revealed in the latest episode wasn't he, the hair colour and face was a give away

Sylar

Reading this thread makes me feel like I'm missing out not reading stuff before
Or you guys are just making up names and throwing random stuff out :lol:

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Loved the episode

Even the Harfoot walking song - pretty sure some might find it cringe though. Also the episode pretty much confirms that the Stranger is Gandalf

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
So who is Sauron then @glazed
Hmm I admit it's looking shaky but I'm gonna stick to my guns. I think
Sauron's bad spirit is trappen inside that thingy the orcs want and when it is released Halbrand will remember.

I'm not sure how well I can stick with it to be honest. It still looks great but the characters are paper thin and the dialogue is getting worse. They're really not telling a very interesting or coherent story basically, even though it looks sumptuous.

Last edited:

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Hmm I admit it's looking shaky but I'm gonna stick to my guns. I think
Sauron's bad spirit is trappen inside that thingy the orcs want and when it is released Halbrand will remember.

I'm not sure how well I can stick with it to be honest. It still looks great but the characters are paper thin and the dialogue is getting worse. They're really not telling a very interesting or coherent story basically, even though it looks sumptuous.
I agree the story telling is at times confusing but I think the dialogue has been getting much better in the last two episodes. It sounds very Tolkien.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
It's alright. For one hour a week I can bare with it. It could be so much better though.

This is brilliant

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I agree the story telling is at times confusing but I think the dialogue has been getting much better in the last two episodes. It sounds very Tolkien.
Sounding Tolkien might actually be part of the problem since, let's face it, his dialogue was pretty awful anyway when said at loud. To quote Harrison Ford about Star Wars, "George, you can type this shit, but you sure can’t say it"

The movies did a good job of actually making it better. But the movies also had an amazing story to tell with classic characters, which carried it along.

Last edited: