Television The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
The Rings of Power is set in the Second Age, thousands of years before Aragorn was born, so why is there even talk that Aragorn will be in the next season?
Like i said in my edit, maybe its all about a tabletop game. You're right lorewise Aragorn wasnt even born. Im not sure the producers care much. But anyway I assumed this was because of rings of power because of the poster but it doesnt make sense.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Would it be too cynical to see this as a blatant attempt to create publicity by milking chud outrage?
No that's obviously the reason. Look at the feed. All the posts of this account barely have any traffic aside from this one.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Rings of Power, Wheel of Time, The Witcher, Willow, Shadow and Bone second season(quite liked the first, second is woeful) Just an horrendous 2 years for Fantasy TV, far worse than even the most pessimistic thoughts i had.

The second season of The Witcher is odd, first episode was superb and then it just goes to shit so quickly.
Yea the witcher is just awful season 2. Mind you season one was all over the place too.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Rings of Power, Wheel of Time, The Witcher, Willow, Shadow and Bone second season(quite liked the first, second is woeful) Just an horrendous 2 years for Fantasy TV, far worse than even the most pessimistic thoughts i had.

The second season of The Witcher is odd, first episode was superb and then it just goes to shit so quickly.
It’s just all so shallow. Very sick of fantasy shows now.

SuperiorXI

The "Mordor" announcement is still one of the shitest big budget television moments I can remember from the top of my head.

Well that and the whole Halbrand telling the 15000 year old super artisan Elven Smith, yo dude maybe you should use, like, a catalyst or something and the 15000 year old super artisan Elven Smith saying durrrrrrrrrrrrr that's such a great idea!!!!!!!
The Windows Movie Maker text transition using comic sans font will go down in cinema history

Bebe

First season the showrunners weren't quite as willing to inject their own "we actually hate this source material" bs. Once they had a taste of success they got bold and predictably ruined everything.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
That sneering face was probably from the infamous slow-mo horse-riding scene in which case fair enough. You won’t understand just how awful (and significant at that) it was until you watch it.
Oh nah the gurning was absolutely fair game, that was unintentionally hilarious. I’ve watched the whole show, when I said not watching an episode I meant of that specific YouTube channel (though sadly I have seen some of there content since making that post).

These were the thumbnails that I got bombarded with (on my phone so it’s a bit of a mess)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Oh nah the gurning was absolutely fair game, that was unintentionally hilarious. I’ve watched the whole show, when I said not watching an episode I meant of that specific YouTube channel (though sadly I have seen some of there content since making that post).

These were the thumbnails that I got bombarded with (on my phone so it’s a bit of a mess)

Okay, that’s just atrocious!

BootsyCollins

So just read "The Silmarillion" and one of the last chapters are called "Of the Rings of Power" and it made this series so much worse. I thought the series was based on the books, but most of the things happened there was much better than in the show.
I know the films is different from the books to, but there the things changed made the films better.

Anyway, the more time passes the more this show sucks.

Eplel

So just read "The Silmarillion" and one of the last chapters are called "Of the Rings of Power" and it made this series so much worse. I thought the series was based on the books, but most of the things happened there was much better than in the show.

The biggest problem this show has is the deal Amazon made with the Tolkien estate. They have the rights for any character or story that is in either The Hobbit or the LoTR trilogy, even if just mentioned by name. They don't have the rights to the Silmarillion, or the other books, which is what they should have gone for.

For example, a character that is in Silmarillion but never mentioned in the other books, cannot be used in the tv show.

The writers are not helping the case either. There is still a wealth of material and characters to write about, but they insisted on a 7000 years old Galadriel having a girl crush on Sauron.

Herman Toothrot

I know the films is different from the books to, but there the things changed made the films better.

Anyway, the more time passes the more this show sucks.
They don't actually have the rights to use anything from The Silmarillion. It's a pretty bonkers situation that doesn't make writing The Rings of Power any easier, nor excuse how bad it was.

Edit, what @Eplel said.

tomaldinho1

Took a real kicking since it finished, will be interesting to see if there's a shake up before season 2 comes out. Something has to change otherwise it won't last 5 seasons.

Herman Toothrot

Took a real kicking since it finished, will be interesting to see if there's a shake up before season 2 comes out. Something has to change otherwise it won't last 5 seasons.
It's weird. I didn't think it was a total disaster at the time, but the more distance passes the worse it gets in my head. I did like Elrond and the Dwarves, I liked the Elf and the woman and didn't mind the Harfoots. The Sauron stuff was pretty dreadful though, I liked the guy playing Celebrimbor, but the creation of the rings and Mordor in a couple of episodes was bizarre. I don't think a lot of these characters should have met until at least the end of the second season and I could have really lived without Gandalf and The Balrog.

Siorac

It's weird. I didn't think it was a total disaster at the time, but the more distance passes the worse it gets in my head. I did like Elrond and the Dwarves, I liked the Elf and the woman and didn't mind the Harfoots. The Sauron stuff was pretty dreadful though, I liked the guy playing Celebrimbor, but the creation of the rings and Mordor in a couple of episodes was bizarre. I don't think a lot of these characters should have met until at least the end of the second season and I could have really lived without Gandalf and The Balrog.
I'm curious how they'll square the creation of the rings with, y'know, actual Lord of the Rings lore. Sauron is already unmasked but the Seven and the Nine haven't been made yet...

But it's less of a problem than the plodding pace, the poor writing, and the nonsensical characters.

Eplel

I liked the guy playing Celebrimbor
He was the biggest surprise of the show for me. I fully expected a let down based on the casting , but the actor is great. I hope they give him more to do in the second season, as Celembribor should be the main character of the show, based on the title.

I could have really lived without Gandalf and The Balrog.
Another loss for amazon when they could have a big win, by having Glorfindel arrive instead of Gandalf (which can in turn give closure to Galadriel about Finrod).

tomaldinho1

I rewatched it and agree it actually degrades over time versus getting better. The big disappointment for me was the was just nothing new in it which is staggering when you think they've got a lot of room to create backstories and other characters.

It was essentially just high level Helm's Deep as a plot with the added 'who is it' of Sauron (and it ended up being the person 100% of the audience would have put money on it being) which seemed to be the main thing bringing people back. Agree re Elrond and the dwarves and agree re what's the need to immediately just bring Gandalf and a Balrog into it? I did see a few reviews were saying there were rumours (clearly unsubstantiated) that the plot was AI written and whilst I think it's unlikely it is kind of what you'd expect if you prompted chatGPT to write a script based on LOTR.

Herman Toothrot

I'm curious how they'll square the creation of the rings with, y'know, actual Lord of the Rings lore. Sauron is already unmasked but the Seven and the Nine haven't been made yet...

But it's less of a problem than the plodding pace, the poor writing, and the nonsensical characters.
I think it is both plodding and rushed.

I rewatched it and agree it actually degrades over time versus getting better. The big disappointment for me was the was just nothing new in it which is staggering when you think they've got a lot of room to create backstories and other characters.

It was essentially just high level Helm's Deep as a plot with the added 'who is it' of Sauron (and it ended up being the person 100% of the audience would have put money on it being) which seemed to be the main thing bringing people back. Agree re Elrond and the dwarves and agree re what's the need to immediately just bring Gandalf and a Balrog into it? I did see a few reviews were saying there were rumours (clearly unsubstantiated) that the plot was AI written and whilst I think it's unlikely it is kind of what you'd expect if you prompted chatGPT to write a script based on LOTR.
I wished we'd spent more time with The Elves and Numenorians where they were. I like the idea of Galadriel leaving for Valenor and then changing her mind at the last moment, but I would have liked to have seen this at the end of the season, bringing the Numenor and elves together after we have spent time with both as they were rather than in chaos. We don't see enough of Elrond and Galadriel or the other key elves together. We could even have had Sauron amongst the elves the entire time, but less as a mustache twirling mystery box and more as a surprise reveal who'd been working to get Galadriel out of the picture. I don't think they even needed to include both the Harfoots and Mordor stories, its not like Game of Thrones throws all the factions into the first season.

I dunno, I know they're giving themselves thousands of years to cover over a relatively short period, but feels they're going too fast and forcing it.

BootsyCollins

The biggest problem this show has is the deal Amazon made with the Tolkien estate. They have the rights for any character or story that is in either The Hobbit or the LoTR trilogy, even if just mentioned by name. They don't have the rights to the Silmarillion, or the other books, which is what they should have gone for.

For example, a character that is in Silmarillion but never mentioned in the other books, cannot be used in the tv show.

The writers are not helping the case either. There is still a wealth of material and characters to write about, but they insisted on a 7000 years old Galadriel having a girl crush on Sauron.
They don't actually have the rights to use anything from The Silmarillion. It's a pretty bonkers situation that doesn't make writing The Rings of Power any easier, nor excuse how bad it was.

Edit, what @Eplel said.
Ok thanks. Thats a very wierd deal to make as its then bound to be "wrong".
So we will never see the war of the last alliance, since that is in the earlier books.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It had issues but I liked the part with the wizards most and when they beat up everything in their path with magic and shit. Found it quite realistic and relatable.

It's understandable that people hold it to high standards when you're dealing with that sort of subject matter.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They made the error of striking a bizarre deal which forced them to rewrite huge chunks of story.
The writing itself was so fecking bad, the story arc of Sauron was abysmal. They glossed over the most important historical moment in the 2nd age with a quick 1 minute scene. They also did shooting during COVID restrictions in NZ which forced them to only have a specific number of people on set thus reducing the extras they could have. This is why the scale seemed off.

I didn't mind the dialogue, bar a few sentences here and there. I thought Elrond and the Dwarves carried the show. The Elves were ok, the visuals stunning, some of the music was good.

But ultimately the writing let everything down. Such a missed opportunity.

Eplel

They glossed over the most important historical moment in the 2nd age with a quick 1 minute scene.
I think they realised that and they might try to redo it in the 2nd season in an effort to fix it, but I assume they will only make things worse.

Either they will have Galadriel not tell the other Elves about Sauron, which will be extremely stupid, or they will have the Elves be duped by Sauron twice, the second one as Annatar, which will also be incredibly stupid.

tomaldinho1

I think they realised that and they might try to redo it in the 2nd season in an effort to fix it, but I assume they will only make things worse.

Either they will have Galadriel not tell the other Elves about Sauron, which will be extremely stupid, or they will have the Elves be duped by Sauron twice, the second one as Annatar, which will also be incredibly stupid.
They might just recast Sauron, then they get a reasonable plot device as to how he can infiltrate the elves because he’s taken another form.

Just Googled this and found out Jospeh Mawle has quit which is annoying, he was one of the more interesting parts.

Last edited:

Bobski

Seems to be me that it is almost universally accepted now that Rings of Power was a disappointment, which given how much energy was directed by Amazon and their mouthpieces towards portraying all critique as coming from online (racist/sexist/homophobic/etc/etc/etc) trolls is striking.

It was very pretty but incredibly bland and joyless.

)_(

I think it is both plodding and rushed.

I wished we'd spent more time with The Elves and Numenorians where they were. I like the idea of Galadriel leaving for Valenor and then changing her mind at the last moment, but I would have liked to have seen this at the end of the season, bringing the Numenor and elves together after we have spent time with both as they were rather than in chaos. We don't see enough of Elrond and Galadriel or the other key elves together. We could even have had Sauron amongst the elves the entire time, but less as a mustache twirling mystery box and more as a surprise reveal who'd been working to get Galadriel out of the picture. I don't think they even needed to include both the Harfoots and Mordor stories, its not like Game of Thrones throws all the factions into the first season.

I dunno, I know they're giving themselves thousands of years to cover over a relatively short period, but feels they're going too fast and forcing it.
I'd argue the numenorean parts were the weakest, they were just stretching that out with nothing much happening so that it could all come together in the end with the battle and they didn't really utilise their time that well when they were there and it definitely needed more episodes because that stuff with Halbrand and the elves felt tacked on. Hate this insistence of only doing 8 episodes these days, that cripples any good story telling in general.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It’s aged terribly and it’s not even been that long since it aired.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
They might just recast Sauron, then they get a reasonable plot device as to how he can infiltrate the elves because he’s taken another form.

Just Googled this and found out Jospeh Mawle has quit which is annoying, he was one of the more interesting parts.
I'd go so far as he was the only one who was superb. Irreplaceable and it's the death knell of the show.

Zen86

There are a lot of average fantasy knocking about, but RoP is the mightiest of turds among them. How they managed to miss so badly is incredible.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I'd forgotten I watched this - thinking about it now, I think I preferred when I couldn't remember it. So bad.

Tyrion

Apparently only about a third of people finished it. I watched all bar the last episode.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...s-of-power-which-is-very-bad/?sh=549b3a1152a6

But despite a billion dollar spend, the report says that just 37% of viewers finished the entire series. That is…quite bad.

As for the 37% number, that’s bad. There’s no spinning that. Rival Netflix usually cancels most shows that come in under 50% completion. Squid Game, its megahit, had 83% completion. Sure, Netflix is in a somewhat different position, given that you can binge all their shows at once, so completion is easier. But you can turn to HBO instead if you want with its weekly airings.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I didn't mind it as much when watching it until the last few episodes which were just rank. Now, I'm inclined to agree with the 'one of the worst shows' assessment given the budgets and potential.