The Make A Fecking Sub Ole Thread

Dan_F

Mental that City can’t fit Sterling in their squad, yet we can’t even find a sub to bring on.

SirScholes

It's a vicious circle, we get injuries because he's running them into the ground, and now we have a thin bench because of these injuries.

If only he would make subs before 88th minute earlier on in the season, our injury list probably wouldn't be as bad.

Make subs Ole.
Who? Matic? There was no one to bring on that wouldn’t of been a gamble
A full strength team we probably would of, martial Cavani pogba Im sure 2 of them start whilst another makes a sub appearance if everyone was fit

RUCK4444

I wish someone would ask him why he refuses to make any changes. It’s really frustrating that players are doing so little & there’s no danger they’ll be taken off. It’s even worse when some players are exhausted & need to be taken off for fresh legs, but nothing.

Today, James was so ineffective, why not try Amad? It couldn’t be any worse & after scoring mid-week, his confidence would be high.
We were controlling the game and James was doing a great defensive job of tracking back.

This is not a game to be risking things against an in form West Ham in a very tight game.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
A full strength team we probably would of, martial Cavani pogba Im sure 2 of them start whilst another makes a sub appearance if everyone was fit
Stop talking sense in this thread please!

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I agree with what Ole did today.

I think if its 1-1 we make a substitute, however we were ahead and the game was tight and James was starting to look a bit of a threat on the counter.

He didn’t want to upset the apple cart.

I think it’s fair he didn’t bring on any subs this time around, all things considered.
Definitely

el3mel

Look at the full half of the glass, at least this meant the added time wasn't that long, so this borefest ended quickly.

Red-17

No obvious subs to make tonight, James works tirelessly so what do you do? Take him off for an inexperienced Amad who might not track a runner and it lead to an equaliser? Take off an attacker for an extra defender or Matic and hand the initiative to West Ham?

You have to keep your best goal scorers on to try and get a 2nd
Exactly this. He literally did the opposite against Milan in midweek and people were slating him for giving up the initiative by going defensively ignoring the fact that you can't sub off your attackers for fullbacks and defensive midfielders and maintain a strong attack. We simply don't have the depth up front right now, and I don't think Ole felt 1-0 up to a physical West Ham was the moment for Amad to make is PL debut.

SirScholes

Our season doesn't end here. We've suffered due to players being run into the ground before, and the squad is barely standing going into the most crucial period of the season. Most importantly we've dropped many points before thanks to this very reluctance - this thread exists for a reason, you should scroll down from page one.

We could have had another goal to kill things off on the counter if James weren't on the pitch to mess up the attacks. We might have won a corner, a penalty, a free kick - anything - if we had a dribbler going into the box in the last half an hour. At least run the fecking clock down with a sub - on another day the ref gives that corner and we concede. On another day, Rashford goes down injured. Or worse, Bruno does. Again, we have done that before.

Of course Ole bottled it today with the subs. He has a lot to learn compared to his peers when it comes to in-game management.
let’s say he takes James off, I’m curious how this prevents rashford or bruno getting injured?
I’m guessing you want them off to prevent that, even though you’re playing an inform team fighting to catch us, who for? Matic? And then you get slagged for being too defensive

just whinging for the sake of whinging here like

90 + 5min

I could have seen only one sub today and that was Matic. But with game being 1-0 and West Ham having areal power it was wise to not make any sub towards end of the game.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I agree with what Ole did today.

I think if its 1-1 we make a substitute, however we were ahead and the game was tight and James was starting to look a bit of a threat on the counter.

He didn’t want to upset the apple cart.

I think it’s fair he didn’t bring on any subs this time around, all things considered.
I felt he was the one holding us back from stringing together a proper counter attack today. We could have had more and killed off the game if it were anyone other than James on the right.

As for doing a job on Cresswell - why is defending against him more of a priority than attacking the ample space he left behind after we went one up?

UtdAgain08

Maybe Amad but other than that nothing to bring on. Matic looked poor against Milan the other night, could you imagine what would have happened if he'd took Bruno off for Matic and they'd scored. People would have wanted his head. He made the right choice today.

HailtotheKing

Yup no one to bring on. It’s games earlier in the season where he should’ve done it though that lead to a situation like today. Great 3 points though and pretty pleased with that performance, all things considered.

Redfrog

Conpletely agree. Tonight he made the right call. You could argue about subbing Amad for James but although James was poor offensively he was very good defensively recovering balls etc. Rashford Mctominay and Fernandes were the ones needing to be subbed but that would invite pressure.
Amad scored a fantastic goal last game but everytime he played he did not impact the game with his play. It wasn't the right time for him, in a very tight game we are leading.

James is not technically gifted but always put a shift in and is running like a mad man all game, making the right side solid defensively.
No sane manager will change him for a rooky when we are winning by one goal at the end of the game. So we agree I think...but some people will never conceed that Ole can be right.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
let’s say he takes James off, I’m curious how this prevents rashford or bruno getting injured?
I’m guessing you want them off to prevent that, even though you’re playing an inform team fighting to catch us, who for? Matic? And then you get slagged for being too defensive
Last I checked, we had three subs. Diallo for James to attack, Matic for Rashford to kill time.

just whinging for the sake of whinging here like
Perhaps save time and ignore the 'whinging', then?

Gator Nate

This.

Ole did the right thing tonight. Nothing on the bench could have guaranteed an attacking revelation that wouldn't have also exposed a defensive flaw.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm normally one of the first to moan about subs but tonight there wasn't really anyone who could make a difference.

croadyman

I Think today he did the right thing, I guess Matic might start on Thursday so having a rest will do him good
God I hope they don't run rings around him again like last Thursday, in regards to tonight would have been nice to see Amad get maybe ten minutes but clearly Ole was worried about him not tracking back and West Ham snatching a point

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Last I checked, we had three subs. Diallo for James to attack, Matic for Rashford to kill time.

We were one nil up, we didn’t need to attack. Why risk the solidity James was providing on the right and ask a new signing to just fit in. Pointless risk imo and no doubt would have been called naive if he’d made that change and then we concede.

Zoo

People criticising Ole today? His hands were tied. You only bring Diallo on if you’re chasing the game.

Redfrog

Maybe Amad but other than that nothing to bring on. Matic looked poor against Milan the other night, could you imagine what would have happened if he'd took Bruno off for Matic and they'd scored. People would have wanted his head. He made the right choice today.
Come on, Amad was not ready for tonight in this tight game. Have you seen him play ?
Yeah, he scored a fantastic goal but appart from that was invisible every time he played (i don't blame him by the way !).
You don't loose your defensive shape at the end of the game when you are leading to play a youngster who is not fully ready.

SirScholes

Hard to ignore when it’s so blatant
Open the door to cresswell to get more crosses in and Matic when? Kill time so 89th minute?

there’ll be a thread made in a heart beat saying you’ve killed our counter attack and invited more pressure

there is no version were those subs make much difference

PTSTSL

Rashford should have been hooked when he was struggling at the end, just back from injury etc.

ShinjiNinja26

What difference is taking them off ten minutes earlier going to make?
Players will inform the bench if they can't go on.
Well they were limping about the pitch so if they had knocks playing on is only going to aggravate them even more. We know Rashford is playing every game with a shoulder injury and he’s just back from an ankle one as well so any opportunity rest him and prevent further damage should be taken.

UtdAgain08

Come on, Amad was not ready for tonight in this tight game. Have you seen him play ?
Yeah, he scored a fantastic goal but appart from that was invisible every time he played (i don't blame him by the way !).
You don't loose your defensive shape at the end of the game when you are leading to play a youngster who is not fully ready.
I don't know why you're making a big deal of me saying "maybe" bring a player on. I'm talking about 5/10 mins at the end and I also don't really care that he didn't come on. Yeah I've seen him play.

Nero

Ole not making a change meant there was only 3 minutes stoppage time, meaning West Ham weren't able to take their corner at the end, meaning an inevitable repeat of the Milan game never came to pass. Ole's got this.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He hates making subs because he doesn’t trust the players on the bench.

His squad management is really really bad though. It’s like he doesn’t realise we have a big knockout game on Thursday. He just plays players until they break.

Kag

It really wasn’t that odd tonight. James was doing some good defensive work down the right and it isn’t as if we have go-to players in attacking areas.

Matic coming on for another was the only sub that would have made any sense and even then I can see why he didn’t do this. Fred, in spite of playing quite poorly at the moment, is great on the transition into the counter attack.

ReallyUSA

Telles for Rashford should've been done. The kid is fecking dying out there.

Dan_F

What's more mental is I felt great about our squad depth going into the season haha
I don’t think there’s too much wrong with it. Obviously if Amad was Sancho it would make things look a whole lot healthier, plus although he was in a rut, Lingard was always a solid option to come off the bench in games like this.

It’s hard to plan for six players from the front four positions being out at the same time (I’ve included Pogba because he can play there). Take six out of City’s attack and they’re struggling to get real quality on the bench too.

Redfrog

I don't know why you're making a big deal of me saying "maybe" bring a player on. I'm talking about 5/10 mins at the end and I also don't really care that he didn't come on. Yeah I've seen him play.
I am not making a big deal of it. Sorry, I maybe did not said it the right way.

I just think it is a terrible idea to bring him in this kind of tight games when winning by a goal.
Maybe if we were needing a goal, otherwise I don't see the point and I think it was taking risks for no gain