The Make A Fecking Sub Ole Thread

Crashoutcassius

I don’t think there’s too much wrong with it. Obviously if Amad was Sancho it would make things look a whole lot healthier, plus although he was in a rut, Lingard was always a solid option to come off the bench in games like this.

It’s hard to plan for six players from the front four positions being out at the same time (I’ve included Pogba because he can play there). Take six out of City’s attack and they’re struggling to get real quality on the bench too.
I suppose so. Still think we should add two players across front 3 in summer

Dan_F

I suppose so. Still think we should add two players across front 3 in summer
Pretty tough to keep everyone happy without the injury crisis though. The good thing with City is their system is set up so that players can come in and out and it generally doesn’t effect their style of play. For us, we seem to have such a wide range of player, that it massively impacts us if we have VdB on instead of Bruno, or James instead of Greenwood on the right.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Well they were limping about the pitch so if they had knocks playing on is only going to aggravate them even more. We know Rashford is playing every game with a shoulder injury and he’s just back from an ankle one as well so any opportunity rest him and prevent further damage should be taken.
And swap him with whom??

Champ

Haha Apologies

can’t believe there were no subs, why didn’t Amad come on for Bruno and shoretire for like shaw

is that better?
Much better....or maybe Matic for Shaw??

Longshanks

I dont think there was a need to make a sub, there was no need to make one to change the game and we were dealing with west ham's attacks towards the end fairly comfortably and looking a threat on the break, and there really want alot on the bench to bring on.

ShinjiNinja26

Why? When we had Fred and McT in the middle??
Well we’re hardly stacked with options off the bench so bringing on Matic would have been the best option with his experience to help see the game out. Our only attacking options were a 17 and 18 year old kid which would have been risky as we were only holding on to a 1 goal lead with about 10 mins to go.

croadyman

Come on, Amad was not ready for tonight in this tight game. Have you seen him play ?
Yeah, he scored a fantastic goal but appart from that was invisible every time he played (i don't blame him by the way !).
You don't loose your defensive shape at the end of the game when you are leading to play a youngster who is not fully ready.
I just hope that the club feel exactly the same way and are going to sign a starter RW in the summer and not pin all of their hopes on him being the answer in that position from next season

Foxbatt

Rashford was on his knees in the last quarter. He was not doing much and he should have been subbed. He should have taken him off and put any of Bailly, Telles or Tuanzabe and pushed them on the wing.

croadyman

A few bench warmers due back Thursday
Yeah maybe we could actually have something off the bench again after the international break which will hopefully just about get us over the line for top four and possibly give us a shot at Europa League/FA Cup (depending on results on Thurs & Sun)

stw2022

I don't understand the 'who could he have brought on' argument that points out, correctly, that everyone on the bench probably wouldn't be better than who they'd replace. It's a logical argument in a way but isn't it usually the case players on the bench aren't an improvement on players selected ahead of them on the pitch, hence why they're on the bench in the first place?

Surely substitutions have other considerations and benefits such as helping players avoid fatigue and injury or even exacerbating existing injuries and knocks further?

Champ

Well we’re hardly stacked with options off the bench so bringing on Matic would have been the best option with his experience to help see the game out. Our only attacking options were a 17 and 18 year old kid which would have been risky as we were only holding on to a 1 goal lead with about 10 mins to go.
That's the thing though, we weren't exactly holding on, we were comfortable, so why change for the sake of it??

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I don't understand the 'who could he have brought on' argument that points out, correctly, that everyone on the bench probably wouldn't be better than who they'd replace. It's a logical argument in a way but isn't it usually the case players on the bench aren't an improvement on players selected ahead of them on the pitch, hence why they're on the bench in the first place?

Surely substitutions have other considerations and benefits such as helping players avoid fatigue and injury or even exacerbating existing injuries and knocks further?
He has our local boy star player on his knees looking at the bench. Just come back from an injury had a bad long term injury recently, two cup games coming up in the next few days. It was pretty outrageous not to make a sub there.

youngrell

I think it’s was the right thing to do. In an ideal world we have a senior forward on the bench to give someone a rest.

It seems people are forgetting how things turned out when we’ve made defensive subs late on in recent tight games. Looks like Ole has learned his lesson there.

Bristol_Red_87

Just look at what happened at Leicester and at home to Everton when subs were made.

I hope this is a turning point for Ole and that no subs will be made ever again. In any circumstances. Never.

Unless Fred is on a yellow, that should have been a red. But otherwise, never.

thesheriffjw

Need a sub now.
Rashford is clearly struggling
Keeping him on will only make it worse

luke511

1 sub in 2 games, that sub feckery Solskjaer pulled off in the first leg has petrified him to make anymore.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
When you don't know that you can pause the game in FIFA and you can only make subs in half-time.

It's insane. He knows that you can waste time by making subs, right?

spiriticon

The more intense the fixture pile-ups get, the less subs Ole makes.

Interesting.

Kajus

When we’re in control of the match and he makes a sub - he totally kills the momentum and costs us a game.
When we’re in control of the match and he doesn’t make a sub - he’s a rabbit in the headlights.

We won. Take the night off.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The sensible subs might have been Matic or Axel for either Greenwood or Van de Beek for Bruno but the game was literally on a knife's edge until the very end there, so its hard to take an attacker out.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
When you don't know that you can pause the game in FIFA and you can only make subs in half-time.

It's insane. He knows that you can waste time by making subs, right?
Yeah like when we made a last minute sub against Everton and it helped us waste time.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
My opinion is he's over reliant on players, rather than tactics and systems to create chances, so if the game changes are already out on the pitch he's reluctant to take them off, regardless of performance.

Rashford got hooked tonight because he was a passenger, but it's not an isolated performance from him in recent weeks. The difference this time around is that he has Pogba, another player that he trusts to create something out of nothing, ready to come on. If Pogba wasn't on the bench, Rashford would've seen out the 90.

Flying_Heckfish

I know. If only we had some evidence that Ole could make a sub that would win us a game after tonight.
Rashford shouldn't have started. I am a little surprised he made the change even then, but he was pretty much forced to.

Ole is so scared to affect the balance he won't take a chance and it is causing us problems, both in game management and in terms of exhaustion.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Rashford shouldn't have started. I am a little surprised he made the change even then, but he was pretty much forced to.

Ole is so scared to affect the balance he won't take a chance and it is causing us problems, both in game management and in terms of exhaustion.
Yes. We’re in a real problem run right now.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm a bit speechless how little faith he has in his squad. You can't keep playing these players over and over again without them breaking down and inevitably costing us. Don't want to be too negative as the result was great.

Manncunian

The fact this thread always has to come out is criminal in itself. Sometimes it’s obvious Ole. Why can’t you see it?!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
There are games where his game management is genuinely baffling. It's negligent to have just let this game go on as it has for this long without trying to change anything.