Television The Man In High Castle

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I think all things considered they've done a good job. I don't really think the books story would have worked as a ten series long season arc (especially if they want to make a series 2) but they've done a good job in re-creating the world of the story which is, all things considered, the best bit about the book in the first place.

I also think the Grasshopper lies heavy change makes sense, partly because we don't have to deal with the awkwardness of watching characters read a book, but also I quite like the symmetry of a book within a book and a film within a film.

Completely agree with the characters though, well, by and large. I think the Obergruppenführer character is good, as is the trade minister and the Kemptai officer. Joe, Juliana, and her bloke are all pretty terrible though.
Perhaps not, I'm just not really liking that they've pasted in a fairly standard on-the-run-from-the-bad-state-with-contraband thriller. They've tried too hard to make the characters likeable, which perversely makes them less likeable for being so unreal. Agreed on Rufus Sewell's character, though it's notable that for the one person they give some nastiness to reflect the world they live in, he has to be a high ranking SS officer. Even Juliana's casually racist in the book! Which to me just makes the world itself suffer and look like the CGI that it is. Contrast with Blade Runner, where you don't really care if you can see the cables lowering the spinner, it feels like a real place full of knobheads.

On the film Grasshopper, I agree that visually it works better, my problem is with the concept of it. There's nothing odd or otherworldly about a book with subversive ideas being shared underground, which is one reason the end of the novel is a bit of a mindfeck. With this, it's actual photographic evidence in the first episode of a parallel universe... just diminishes the whole effect to me.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Perhaps not, I'm just not really liking that they've pasted in a fairly standard on-the-run-from-the-bad-state-with-contraband thriller. They've tried too hard to make the characters likeable, which perversely makes them less likeable for being so unreal. Agreed on Rufus Sewell's character, though it's notable that for the one person they give some nastiness to reflect the world they live in, he has to be a high ranking SS officer. Even Juliana's casually racist in the book! Which to me just makes the world itself suffer and look like the CGI that it is. Contrast with Blade Runner, where you don't really care if you can see the cables lowering the spinner, it feels like a real place full of knobheads.

On the film Grasshopper, I agree that visually it works better, my problem is with the concept of it. There's nothing odd or otherworldly about a book with subversive ideas being shared underground, which is one reason the end of the novel is a bit of a mindfeck. With this, it's actual photographic evidence in the first episode of a parallel universe... just diminishes the whole effect to me.
Not to mention Joe and Frank being in the last film we see.

I mean that just opens up a load of other questions. Who has the technology to make these films? How did they know to put Joe and Frank in it? As that happened it's obviously propaganda of some sort and a form of controlling the situation.

Interesting to see where they go from here though, I guess.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
The acting and dialogue make it feel like something made for the Sci-Fi channel or PickTV

Amir

I thought it had great potential but the result wasn't great in the first season. Plus I'm not keen on what could be a sci-fi solution of alternate universes or whatever.

Norris

So how is this show exactly ?I downloaded the pilot and I want to get an Idea of how it is before I start. Is it fast paced, slow. What is the rhythm like ?

pauldyson1uk

It looks great, everything else isn't up to much though.
Depends on your TV taste. If you're an action type fan then it's probably not a show for you. If you don't mind slower paced thinkers then this is 100% up your street.

I thought it was excellent.
RedSky comments are spot on. I thought it was excellent.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I wish they would have done a recap of the important events, I was a bit lost at first because it's been more than a year since I last watched it.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Can you imagine of what the UK would be if the Nazi won? UK Politicians would probably be speaking German at home, they will prefer living near to Germans instead of Romanians and they will be proud of their nationalist sentiments and against certain type of foreigners whom according to them they steal jobs etc. Its unconceivable isn't it?

ZAGREB RED

Up to episode 5, it's starting to get a bit confusing now - think Westworld - but still great, might need to go back and watch the whole thing from the start, keep thinking I am missing something or things.
I haven't read the book, has anyone on here ?

NinjaFletch

Up to episode 5, it's starting to get a bit confusing now - think Westworld - but still great, might need to go back and watch the whole thing from the start, keep thinking I am missing something or things.
I haven't read the book, has anyone on here ?
Me and (if our convo at the top of the page from last year is anything to go by) @Ubik have.

Good book, well worth a read, nothing like the TV show.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Yeah I'm pretty harsh on it because I love the book, it's a good watch. Haven't even done Westworld yet though so might delay watching this season a bit.

It's funny seeing the mass of new reviews for the book on Amazon now all being so negative because of how different it is to the show :lol:

ZAGREB RED

Me and (if our convo at the top of the page from last year is anything to go by) @Ubik have.

Good book, well worth a read, nothing like the TV show.
Will need to check it out, as you say, from what I have read about it, differs from the TV series, although this might well be due to the time difference between the book being written and TV show coming out. I am guessing from the preview of the last episode of s2 there will be another series. Again, from what i have read about the book, it ends very abruptly on a note which, according to the author (I think) is a quite deliberate let-down which is done to make readers attempt to interpret it themselves ?

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I watched about half of season 2 completely steaming drunk so despite having now finished the season I have no idea if it was any good or not.

The Firestarter

The second season was much better . Faster pace, and more interesting locations shown. They have changed the story quite a bit from the original book, but that does not make it a bad show. After all, you can assume that there exists a universe where the book is exactly like the show ;)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Just finished watching Season 2.

It's a real shame this gem doesn't get more love. It's slow paced at times, but really is brilliant. A much better (and more intelligent) show than Westworld imo.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Just finished watching Season 2.

It's a real shame this gem doesn't get more love. It's slow paced at times, but really is brilliant. A much better (and more intelligent) show than Westworld imo.
Really loved the book, it is my favourite PKD book by far, but I just couldn't get into the series.

My main issue as mentioned by many in this thread was the pacing, imo no matter how good the characters and story is if a show gets the pacing wrong it just doesn't work.

Edit: Being better than Westworld doesn't take much tbf. One of the most overrated pieces of TV in modern history. It is nearly Matrix levels of overrated.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Really loved the book, it is my favourite PKD book by far, but I just couldn't get into the series.

My main issue as mentioned by many in this thread was the pacing, imo no matter how good the characters and story is if a show gets the pacing wrong it just doesn't work.
It's just slow paced that's all. We're all so used to fast paced bullshit on television that I found it refreshing to have something a bit more intelligent and slow. Season 2 was excellent, character development was superb and the acting was terrific.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I was looking for a thread on this the other day. Just binged both seasons. A little slow in places but it is really good.

Ivor Ballokov

It looks great, everything else isn't up to much though.
I take it back, or at least my view has changed, really enjoyed the second season. I still have some criticisms, Luke Kleintank and DJ Qualls aren't great, I don't buy Juliana and Joe's love story and the plot armour that plagues pretty much everything is inevitably there. Overall though it's become a very good drama though and I'm really looking forward to season 3.

It still looks great too, the way they've created the alternative NYC/SF is great.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I am currently 7 eps into season 1, it is great entertainment and the slow pacing suits it so well.

Originally didn't start watching it due to the pacing of the pilot, and I am actually glad I didn't since this show should be binged, and now I have two seasons to binge.

Adebesi

I asked this in the book thread but maybe I am more likely to get an answer in here.

How far through the book are we by the end of the second series of the show? Or have the two pretty much completely parted company by that point?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I asked this in the book thread but maybe I am more likely to get an answer in here.

How far through the book are we by the end of the second series of the show? Or have the two pretty much completely parted company by that point?
No book talk in this thread please as per the Caf spoiler policy.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A trailer was released in Oct 2017 so it should be this year but I haven't seen a confirmed date yet.