The 'Manchester Is Blue' Thread

adamwest

There's a thread on 'Blue Moon' which is slating their atmosphere the last six months.

I don't watch every City game, but I watched a fair portion of tonight's game and it was horrid. I refuse to believe their fans are as passionate as those you'd see at Old Trafford, for example. On a related point: since they moved to the Council House, what is their equivalent of the "Kippax"? My mates at work all have season tickets and they tell me the most atmospheric part of the stadium is down beside the away fans.
It definitely is. My missus has a season ticket opposite side of the ground and it's consistently dead there. The few derby's i've been to there with her it's been silent that side too. The 4-1 this year we completely drowned them out, even at 4 down.

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan
About 10 minutes in it became patently clear the players were not up for the game. Lethargic and uninterested, Sunderland were playing better. Simply because they wanted it more. I turned to my mate at half-time and said I'd be amazed if we win this. When they scored I can imagine many fans were just pissed off about the whole inevitability of it all. Frustration got the better of them and like I said, I can certainly sympathise with them leaving early. If the players aren't showing any commitment and passion it's hard for the fans to get behind them.
Fair enough but if the fans had gotten behind the players and gave them a raucous cheer, chants etc it could have spurned the team on. You should never underestimate the fans as the 12th man.

CantonaGiggs1

This article is something else LOL. City fans are a delusional bunch. Read this if you want a good laugh.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/17/manchester-a-city-not-united-as-blue-and-red-converge/

Here are a few quotes:

“If you look at clubs like Liverpool and United, their fans are from all over the world,” McHugh said. “As City fans, we see it as fans who aren’t real fans. But to become a real brand or football club, you have to have those sort of fans. It comes with being successful. No we have overseas fans, City are known as a worldwide brand instead of just living in United’s shadow. We are up there with United now.”
“Let me tell you now, they are more bitter than we are,” Arnfield said. “When we were crap and they were winning, we weren’t acting as bad as they are now. We lived with mediocrity and being crap for years. They can’t. It’s their turn and they can’t hack it. They absolutely can’t hack it. They haven’t got the nuts to sit there and go through what we’ve been through. They can’t handle the fact that they’re not the best team anymore, and they’re certainly not the best team in Manchester. They don’t matter, they are insignificant. I’m happy their time has come and they’re struggling.”
“The thing with City, it is the people’s club. You get caught up with City, I think we are the roots of Manchester,” McHugh said. “Your everyday fan in Manchester supports City. It is a passion and you honestly get what you’re given. Over the years there have been ups and downs… but City is Manchester.”

Why is it that City fans are so vocal outside of the Emptyhad instead of being vocal inside of it? That place is dead half of the time.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Going from the evidence currently being broadcast on Sky... bump :smirk:

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Watching the game on the tv. Danny Mills was trying to excuse the emptiness because its Easter Weekend and people are away. Its just empty there, it has nothing to do with Easter.

Castia

Looks like a fake tbf, Villa aren't even wearing their home kit...

Oggmonster

No they won't. They haven't filled their stadium when they're four points off the title. They have no chance in an average game.
I'd suspect when they expand it they will end up getting more than their current attendance, probably not much but they will get some more. In fairness to them a few of the empty seats will be season ticket holders who haven't gone to the game. It was rearranged so people might have had plans they couldn't rearrange etc.

The capacity isn't being extended just for City either, they have quite a few gigs and events on in there which would fill the stadium

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
"If you build it they will come" is from a baseball movie (Field of Dreams). It was kind of a joke but if they add 10,000 seats they will fill them for the big games which might be worth the cost of construction.
Games don't come bigger than this.

20solskjaer

"If you build it they will come" is from a baseball movie (Field of Dreams). It was kind of a joke but if they add 10,000 seats they will fill them for the big games which might be worth the cost of construction.
Its "if you build it he will come"

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Field of Dreams, like that film, I should have remembered.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Still gunna make me sick when City win it. Seeing fuxking Noel Gallagher celebrating. Eww. Nasri. Urgh. Another reason to hate Liverpool, making me want City to win the league.

It is Noel right? I can never remember which brother it is.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Still gunna make me sick when City win it. Seeing fuxking Noel Gallagher celebrating. Eww. Nasri. Urgh. Another reason to hate Liverpool, making me want City to win the league.

It is Noel right? I can never remember which brother it is.
They're all unbearable. The brothers, that is. I do still like "Don't look back in anger", though. Can't help it.

SalfordRed1960

This article is something else LOL. City fans are a delusional bunch. Read this if you want a good laugh.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/17/manchester-a-city-not-united-as-blue-and-red-converge/

Here are a few quotes:

Why is it that City fans are so vocal outside of the Emptyhad instead of being vocal inside of it? That place is dead half of the time.
It does beggar belief when you hear City fans speak.

My favourites in that piece are:

1. United are a manufactured club, City are hardcore. Unbelievable, so from world war 2 until today we have been assembled piece by piece. Apparently during all that time we were successful, never had hard times and got the largest support through being successful. Interesting, I certainly don't recall my early years being successful and I seem to remember a certain 26 years of hurt as well. Also, absolutely no recognition that Manchester has a significant red following. If they asked their dads and their dads they would probably be told that they use to go to see both teams after the war. God knows when their bitterness and delusion started.
2. The vast majority of United fans have only experienced success. Have they seen the age groups of home and away going Reds. We not only have one of the oldest squads are match going supporters will be on zimmer frames soon. The youngsters can't afford to go. Sort of implies we are all JCL fans. They really haven't got a clue.

I worked for the GMP for a couple of years before I left Salford and the UK. Always found it interesting the number of City fans working there, all from South Manchester, giving it large about being die hard City (but actually not going to matches) and then being so bitter towards the Reds. They were only ever really happy if City won AND United lost, if we won it killed their weekend.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
It does beggar belief when you hear City fans speak.

My favourites in that piece are:

1. United are a manufactured club, City are hardcore. Unbelievable, so from world war 2 until today we have been assembled piece by piece. Apparently during all that time we were successful, never had hard times and got the largest support through being successful. Interesting, I certainly don't recall my early years being successful and I seem to remember a certain 26 years of hurt as well. Also, absolutely no recognition that Manchester has a significant red following. If they asked their dads and their dads they would probably be told that they use to go to see both teams after the war. God knows when their bitterness and delusion started.
2. The vast majority of United fans have only experienced success. Have they seen the age groups of home and away going Reds. We not only have one of the oldest squads are match going supporters will be on zimmer frames soon. The youngsters can't afford to go. Sort of implies we are all JCL fans. They really haven't got a clue.

I worked for the GMP for a couple of years before I left Salford and the UK. Always found it interesting the number of City fans working there, all from South Manchester, giving it large about being die hard City (but actually not going to matches) and then being so bitter towards the Reds. They were only ever really happy if City won AND United lost, if we won it killed their weekend.
I have met those people, and they only like city because they don't like X player or Fergie. Strange how South Manchester is home to a lot of United fans, like me and our stadium, yet we get this lot!

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
I have met those people, and they only like city because they don't like X player or Fergie. Strange how South Manchester is home to a lot of United fans, like me and our stadium, yet we get this lot!
I've never really got the whole Stockport is all City fans idea. Nearly everyone at my school supported United and only in the last 5 years have people wearing City shirts suddenly turned up.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I've never really got the whole Stockport is all City fans idea. Nearly everyone at my school supported United and only in the last 5 years have people wearing City shirts suddenly turned up.
Stockport isn't South Manchester! I'm on about Stretford, Old Trafford etc, you get a minority of people who support city for the reason that SalfordRed said.

SalfordRed1960

If you go to city center after a City match, most of the buses from Piccadilly gardens with Blues on go in the direction of Stockport.

Most of the polls done also tend to suggest that the majority of people living in the South and East of Manchester say they are Blues fans. Doesn't mean there aren't reds there.

When United met City at Wembley we went down early and stayed in a Hotel and met a lone City fan staying there. We wound him up by asking if he was from Stockport, he looked at us strange and said he came from Salford. In his view Salford was more blue than red, and he was deadly serious.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
South and East Manchester would house a lot of the City support (however little it is). I'm residing near Heaton Park and I rarely see Blues round this neck of the woods, and Blues in Salford/Trafford are as rare as Stevie Me Premier League medals.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
If you go to city center after a City match, most of the buses from Piccadilly gardens with Blues on go in the direction of Stockport.

Most of the polls done also tend to suggest that the majority of people living in the South and East of Manchester say they are Blues fans. Doesn't mean there aren't reds there.

When United met City at Wembley we went down early and stayed in a Hotel and met a lone City fan staying there. We wound him up by asking if he was from Stockport, he looked at us strange and said he came from Salford. In his view Salford was more blue than red, and he was deadly serious.
I know what you mean and I've seen the polls and graphs in question, I was just saying that it doesn't really match my experience given how many people supported United compared to City amongst my friends and at my school.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
No they won't. They haven't filled their stadium when they're four points off the title. They have no chance in an average game.
Every game since the beginning of the 11/12 season has officially sold out.

Dry them eyes mate.