The Manchester United positivity thread

yipthatman

Like the title says and we all know we need it. It's a hard time obviously but what are you actually positive about at our club? However slim, what are you hopeful about for the future? For me it has to be some kind of actual playing style and system next season. I am really looking forward to people knowing their jobs and knowing each others jobs.

gajender

Hopefully finally having a progressive manager at helm who might not be passed it, granted it might not work or backfire spectacularly but atleast it's something different from our usual Shtick.

GarrinchaNZ

Next seasons shirt. At this stage, I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
This thread will change direction quickly.

Sancho has shown glimpses, Elanga has broken into the side, Lindloff has looked alright, Utd broke that lengthy no goals from corners run, Fred has tried hard and played well at points. That's about all I can think of presently.

I want to be positive about next season but that's a "wait and see".

jm99

Well I just posted this as a thread not seeing this one haha

I think people are being a bit too pessimistic with regards to how long it'll take and how much work is needed. Yes there's a bad attitude through this team but really, we got rangnick from lokomotiv Moscow, we didn't poach him from Bayern Munich or any other top team we brought up primarily for the consultant role (which is fine, it's actually a decision I think the board finally got right, I'd have preferred Conte but given that it seems that wasn't happening), I'm glad they chose am actual interim and waited for their first choice rather than just appoint someone midseason and potentially keep them on of they do ok ie/ Ole. So we have someone who's not really a great manager in charge

Before that we had three years of Ole and despite some in here thinking he was great because the lads liked him, realistically there probably wasn't another team in the league or another set of fans that would have Ole as their manager, out of the 20 managers ranked by ability he was fairly close to 20th.

You have to go as far back as Mourinho to the last time we had a proper manager, and while yes it ended badly, he had us finish on 81 points in 2nd but was still miles off pep's team, then the board decided not to bother backing him and it all imploded, the season before he got the Europa League as well. And this was past his best Mourinho.

So really we're talking summer 2018 since these players played under a talented and motivated manager. Yes they should still be beating Everton but Chelsea were near the relegation zone last time Mourinho left when he'd basically downed tools, the effect a manager can have is huge, and it should be exciting that for the first time in four years we're going to be playing under a proper manager, not one looking to secure his exit package or someone with essentially no top flight European achievements, we're bringing in a guy who got Ajax to a cl semi final and a kick away from the champions league final.

Yes it might still end badly, ten hag will need to have complete control, and not be hampered like Mourinho was being told certain players weren't for sale because of their commercial value and the like, but for four years the players havent played under anything even resembling an elite manager, not since Jose 17/18 season and that was him past his best, four years is a long time in modern football and we've spent it with a manager who wouldn't get a job at any other premier League club and a guy who's never managed a club even half the size of United (though he's an actual interim with no hope of the full time job so who cares) but plenty of reason to think we're not doomed for 5-10 years. A proper manager will make an enormous amount of difference and really we've never seen this current side play under one

yipthatman

Sancho has shown glimpses, Elanga has broken into the side, Lindloff has looked alright, Utd broke that lengthy no goals from corners run, Fred has tried hard and played well at points. That's about all I can think of presently.
I know he hasn't set the world alight on loan but I'm actually excited at the prospect of seeing Amad back at OT with a good manager playing a solid system.

Lentwood

The major positive is that we finally seem to have realised the importance of a proper backroom support team for the manager and we are rid of Ed Woodward.

AndySmith1990

Pogba and Lingard are definitely leaving in a couple months.
Solskjaer will never manage the club again.
Woodward is gone.
No CL football might mean that Ronaldo asks to leave?

Struggling to think of any positives about this car wreck of a season beyond that.

Corridor of Uncertainty

I can't wait to see some of the players who have no interest in being here fecking off in a couple of months time and never coming back

Bestietom

The major positive is that we finally seem to have realised the importance of a proper backroom support team for the manager and we are rid of Ed Woodward.
Too many fingers in the pie can spoil it. It's hard for all to agree together on the players that we want. I think the manager should have complete control of incomings and outgoings.
He works with the players every day, so should know who and where we need to strengthen. We should not bring in or keep players who are just for commercial reasons. We need to concentrate on the footballing side of things more.

Blood Mage

Woodward is gone, we're getting a proper manager in the summer and thankfully it isn't Poch. Other than that, we're a fecking horror show at present.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
After this season, I'll hopefully never have to see quite a few of these players in a United shirt again. That's pretty awesome.

I'm not sure we'll get rid of as many as I'd like though, but even getting rid of Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Cavani and Ronaldo would be a great start. There's about 1.5 million a week in wages saved.

mav_9me

This is our only hope. I am not as positive as you that things have changed. Time will tell

eire-red

I'm hopeful for a new manager and a new approach next season. Clearly we are at the lows now, and I'm struggling to even bring myself to watch the remaining games. But things are never truly as bad as they truly seem, and getting the right manager in could change so much.

Look at the effect Xavi is having on Barca. Sometimes, all it can take is a change of management and a couple of proper signings and it can really change the mood. Also, we seem to be at the end for some of these players, so we can't put off the rebuild anymore. I also see that as a positive. Scorch the earth kind of thing. It can't get any worse now, so hopefully only up from here.

Josep Dowling

Pogba, Matic, Lingard and Mata should be gone this summer. All players that should have left 2/3 years ago.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
At least some of the players are trying to connect with the fans. Just wish it wasn’t physcially…

Cloud7

I am very excited for Ten Haag. The first positive, non reactive manager we will have hired in a long time. This excitement will quickly vanish if it turns out he isn’t our manager but as it stands that’s what’s giving me something to look forward to.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let me present some things I am positive about regarding Manchester United.

That's it.

Laurencio

I'm positive that we'll be better next season, mostly because we can hardly become worse than this.

Elcabron

- New CEO
- New manager
- New structure
- Ralph as consultant
- Hopefully a lot of players leaving and potentially some new players coming in.

Not much to be positive about right at this moment but there is a lot to look forward to in my view.

OleGunnar20

I think Ten Haag is the biggest step is the right direction this club has taken in a long time (if he comes of course!). I'm very excited to see how he does, given time to get his ideas across.

Seeing the back of a bunch of players who epitomise all that is wrong with this club at the moment. A good spring clean will do the world of good I hope.

Seeing Fred do well is great as I like his character. More with his attitude out there (perhaps some with a little more skill :lol: ) and we'll be much better.

We've a big transfer window ahead of, I'm cautiously optimistic, looking forward to see how we navigate that. Hopefully we plug some gaps with promising youth players such as Mejbri, Mengi, Pellestri, Amad & Laird.

dove

IF we get ETH, the positivity is that we should definitely try to play on the front foot against everyone. No more cowardish, disjointed, clueless park the bus nonsense. Watching United play might finally not be a complete chore like it has been the last few years.

MUW4Eva

I am very excited about our women's team, we are right on the cusp of something VERY special and exciting, we have a very good group of young, hungry and very talented players.

We just need to sort the contracts out of a few of them, to see them stay for next season, (& hopefully beyond that) plus add one or two marquee names this summer, then I can see us potentially pushing the usual "big 3" sides all the way next season.

Exciting times indeed!

Remember the geese

A new manager always brings a certain element of hope. It is my hope that as next season progresses we can see the team play with a clear plan. An identity. We become an Erik ten Hag side (assuming it will be ten Hag). As much as his style of football has been maligned, it was one of the things I enjoyed about van Gaal's time here. We looked very well coached. We went to Stamford Bridge and had 70% of the ball. We were a Louis van Gaal side. I feel that we haven't really played with a clear identity for quite a while. Rangnick's pressing game hasn't really been seen. At least not consistently. We played effectively on the counter attack under Ole at times, but that way of playing isn't conducive to sustained success. In possession we were incoherent and won games simply because we had better players than the opposition 7 or 8 times out of ten. Additionally, there is the hope that with a clear system in place, we see a synergy throughout the team. Certain players who have been branded as failures may become revitalised. It is a complete unknown and that brings its own form of excitement and sense of anticipation. I am particularly excited to see Sancho perform in a functional side.

As a keen follower of the academy, it is a joy to watch the talent we have at the moment. Particularly midfield players. They won't all make it of course, but guys like Hannibal, Shoretire, Hansen-Aarøen, Mainoo, Gore, Iqbal, Mather etc, bring real optimism. Not a midfield player, but just a mention for Alvaro Fernandez, who I really rate as a player and would love to see given opportunities in the first team.

Things are never as bad as they seem. Things can change very quickly in football.

Spaghetti

Mom's

I want to be positive about next season but that's a "wait and see".
Elanga has strangely broken into the side. He’s looked awful for 95% of the time. Not sure that’s a positive.

The main positive is that defeats aren’t as painful as they used to be. Disappointing draws and defeats have become the norm.

djembatheking

Martial, Van der Beek and Pereira have been on loan so we`ve been spared having to watch them under perform.

yipthatman

Im
I am very excited about our women's team, we are right on the cusp of something VERY special and exciting, we have a very good group of young, hungry and very talented players.

We just need to sort the contracts out of a few of them, to see them stay for next season, (& hopefully beyond that) plus add one or two marquee names this summer, then I can see us potentially pushing the usual "big 3" sides all the way next season.

Exciting times indeed!
Nice one. When is the next game on TV? I haven't watched much but from what I have seen they always play with a lot of heart and skill.

croadyman

After this season, I'll hopefully never have to see quite a few of these players in a United shirt again. That's pretty awesome.

I'm not sure we'll get rid of as many as I'd like though, but even getting rid of Pogba, Lingard, Mata, Cavani and Ronaldo would be a great start. There's about 1.5 million a week in wages saved.
Yeah sadly those yankee leeches won't allow a cull even though it's desperately needed.

Back on topic the only positivity is hopefully a progressive manager at last and some talented youth players.

Yakuza_devils

IF we get ETH, the positivity is that we should definitely try to play on the front foot against everyone. No more cowardish, disjointed, clueless park the bus nonsense. Watching United play might finally not be a complete chore like it has been the last few years.
Rangnick came in with high promise to lay foundation for us to play modern entertaining high intense gegenpressing. He was known as a man to keep to his philosophy and was very stubborn about it. Fast forward 3 months, the plan was completely abandon.

MUW4Eva

Im

Nice one. When is the next game on TV? I haven't watched much but from what I have seen they always play with a lot of heart and skill.
Our next game is not until the 24th of April, as this is a week for internationals, and next week is for the FA Cup semi finals, for which we are sadly not in.

We are away to Villa, with a 6pm kick off, most likely at this moment to be on the FA Player app, which is free to use, and watch.

Last time we played Villa at home, we won 5-0, so hopefully there will be goals, as we need to win, and win big again, to stay in the hunt for a Champions League place next season.