Television The Mandalorian - TV Show

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Perhaps if you’re using a rather young age as a cutoff for the term “children”. But older children absolutely lap it up, same as they do with video games that require the use of skill and memory.

Obviously someone who is just past toddler-hood will not dive into this stuff the same as a 10-year old, but that doesn’t mean it’s not designed at least partially with children in mind.
The OG trilogy? No way. Maybe the third one a bit with all the ewoks. By then it was already a hit and I guess they knew kids enjoyed it.

But it's just not a kids film. In the first film for example;

Luke's family are killed (off screen)
Leighs planet is blown up.
Loads of Xwings pilots are killed.

I know it's a different generation but compare it to the likes of Pirates of the Carribbean or whatever.

Traub

All I can hope for now is that Kylo didn’t kill Grogu, because that would make the sequel trilogy even worse - which I genuinely didn’t think was possible.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
@rcoobc

Nobody said adults can't also enjoy kids' films, or fill out the theatres for them. If you go to a showing of a Studio Ghibli film in the UK or Ireland you will often see a mostly adult audience watching a children's film. That suddenly doesn't turn Ponyo or whatever into a film built for adults though.

A well-made children's film should often be able to attract adults too, because it's still fundamentally a good film. It's difficult to do but if a film manages it then it shouldn't be scoffed at, or get hastily recategorised as being something else because people don't want to admit to being compelled by a children/family film.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The OG trilogy? No way. Maybe the third one a bit with all the ewoks. By then it was already a hit and I guess they knew kids enjoyed it.

I know it's a different generation but compare it to the likes of Pirates of the Carribbean or whatever.
It is clearly designed to neither be too complex nor obscene for a pre-adolescent to access and enjoy, hence it is designed with kids in mind. But I feel I’m just getting into pointless semantics here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

The third Pirates film literally begins with a child being hanged to death.

The severity of the content of ANH is reflected in it's "U" age classication, which is a lower rating than even (for example) the very first Harry Potter film. I doubt most people would argue that even the HP films with 12s rating aren't kids' films, so pointing to much milder content in ANH is hardly telling.

Edit: Anyway, never mind, I'm derailing the thread.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
This thread and others proves it's really hard for some people to like something without also using it to have a dig at something else. Strange phenomenon.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
@CassiusClaymore
@sullydnl

I'm sure it was all the kids lining up in the 70s to watch the film again and again

Well kids don't have disposable income. My Dad took me to watch Star Wars at the time. I thought it was well accepted that Star Wars made the bulk of its money via the merchandise? Revolutionary in many ways.

I'm not saying adults didn't enjoy those films but the generation that still fawns over them (far too much imo as they don't hold up to well) are the generation that were children when they came out.

Anyway I'm drunk, what are we arguing about?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Finally some fan service for middle aged male Star Wars fans and lovers of 80s nostalgia culture!

I don’t know how you guys lasted so long without being directly pandered to by the overwhelming majority of mainstream media... it must’ve been a really tough couple of weeks there.

Solidarity. You did it guys!... and it only took the blanket saturation of the genre for every other generation and the ironic attritional defeat of the kind of originality that begat it to begin with to get there. Wooooooo!

Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke!! **pedantic cheering fades off into the creative graveyard of obscurity***

Last edited:

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Finally some fan service for middle aged male Star Wars fans and lovers of 80s nostalgia culture!

I don’t know how you guys lasted so long without being directly pandered to by the overwhelming majority of mainstream media... it must’ve been a really tough couple of weeks there.

Solidarity. You did it guys!... and it only took the blanket saturation of the genre for every other generation and the ironic attritional defeat of the kind of originality that begat it to begin with to get there. Wooooooo!

Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke! Luke!! **pedantic cheering fades off into the creative graveyard of obscurity***
So, you liked it?

acnumber9

I felt the choice of music with you-know-who's introduction was abit off. Wasn't seamless.
Yeah, there seems to be an attempt to shy away from the original score in this and the sequel trilogy, despite it both being epic and appropriate.

acnumber9

Why do you keep watching Star Wars things?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Well...

The thing is...

The OG trilogy is absolutely not aimed at children. Everytime I've ever watched OG star wars with any child, including my own kids, they often struggle to watch it.
I loved all 3 original movies when I was about 11 or 12.

Mockney

Why do you keep watching Star Wars things?
Thing is, sure, my comically exaggerated hate of Star Wars is a thing... but only cos I think it’s ludicrously overrated... which it undoubtedly is.. not because I think it’s all inexorable by default.

I also can’t really avoid it. Because however much you wankers whinge about it, they keep making more of it, and I’ve got to watch something! So I’ve been watching the Mandalorian since the back end of season 1 (in part because Disney + has a very small remit of interesting shows) and have so far quite easily resisted posting in this thread, or trolling anyone... because I genuinely quite enjoyed the show as a largely separate, distinct thing, entirely unto itself, made by a lot of people I really like (Favreau, Waititi, Rodriguez etc) that may have frequently dropped geeky little tit bits for the more invested than I, but which endeavoured to tell its own, welcoming, mostly procedural story....

It was exactly the kind of thing I considered to be actually good fan service; subtle enough to please both nouveau viewers and wanky obsessives.... so I feel perfectly legitimised in feeling annoyed that the ultimate denouement of the 2 season long Mando-X-Baby Yoda arc, was concluded with an indulgent bit of fan wank that doesn’t satisfactorily connect to anything within the previously contained Universe of the show...

Sure everyone knows who Luke Skywalker is...but what did him swanning in and defeating an entire army of undefeatable droids have to do with the plot of that episode?... what did it matter that Mando & his crew (who the series had built up as a tense collection of would be allies) had fought their way to that point, when ultimately a Deus Ex Lukina could’ve flown in at any moment and picked up the Child, regardless of the circumstances?... he could’ve done it before they arrived! It would’ve made no difference... and thus the entire series was pointless, when we could’ve been following him and his quest to find Grogu if that was the endgame!

The best bit of the episode was Mando removing his helmet and the little funny puppet child stroking his face... that was great!... that was something the show had actually been building to... and yet all anyone can talk about is how a weird uncanny Valleyd CGI character (that will inevitably date appallingly) from a series of films 30 years ago, appeared, and then.... left... So what!!!?

The new series of films were apparently rubbish because Rey was a Mary Sue and they didn’t respect Luke’s character enough (ironically by actually trying to give him one)... but this series is amazing because they parachuted in a character never previously mentioned in it to destroy the entire final threat in one fell swoop and utter about 6 words - How does that work!?

At what point do Star Wars fans gain the requisite self awareness to understand how damaging their baby brained obsession with nostalgia is?... cos if it’s not this, or the 40098888 other things deliberately aimed at appeasing them, that the rest of us have had to listen to them whinge about not being good enough - but which they keep getting given more of for some fecking reason!! then the franchise is just on a long prolonged death spiral to meaninglessness...

And if so, roll on that day, I say.... kill it. Kill it all... Kill it with fire! Mwa hahahaha!.. at least then the rest of us can finally move on.... or otherwise embrace a hellscape future where the Star Wars films of 2045 are still being pumped out 10 at a time, for the sole benefit of an increasingly dwindling and angry bunch of 70 year olds...

Also who was cutting Mando’s hair? ‘Cos I feel that wasnt adequately addressed.

Last edited:

acnumber9

Thing is, sure, my comically exaggerated hate of Star Wars is a thing... but only cos I think it’s ludicrously overrated... which it undoubtedly is.. not because I think it’s all inexorable by default.

I also can’t really avoid it. Because however much you wankers whinge about it, they keep making more of it, and I’ve got to watch something! So I’ve been watching the Mandalorian since the back end of season 1 (in part because Disney + has a very small remit of interesting shows) and have so far quite easily resisted posting in this thread, or trolling anyone... because I genuinely quite enjoyed the show as a largely separate, distinct thing, entirely unto itself, made by a lot of people I really like (Favreau, Waititi, Rodriguez etc) that may have frequently dropped geeky little tit bits for the more invested than I, but which endeavoured to tell its own, welcoming, mostly procedural story....

It was exactly the kind of thing I considered to be actually good fan service; subtle enough to please both nouveau viewers and wanky obsessives.... so I feel perfectly legitimised in feeling annoyed that the ultimate denouement of the 2 season long Mando-X-Baby Yoda arc, was concluded with an indulgent bit of fan wank that doesn’t satisfactorily connect to anything within the previously contained Universe of the show...

Sure everyone knows who Luke Skywalker is...but what did him swanning in and defeating an entire army of undefeatable droids have to do with the plot of that episode?... what did it matter that Mando & his crew (who the series had built up as a tense collection of would be allies) had fought their way to that point, when ultimately a Deus Ex Lukina could’ve flown in at any moment and picked up the Child, regardless of the circumstances?... he could’ve done it before they arrived! It would’ve made no difference... and thus the entire series was pointless, when we could’ve been following him and his quest to find Grogu if that was the endgame!

The best bit of the episode was Mando removing his helmet and the little funny puppet child stroking his face... that was great!... that was something the show had actually been building to... and yet all anyone can talk about is how a weird uncanny Valleyd CGI character (that will inevitably date appallingly) from a series of films 30 years ago, appeared, and then.... left... So what!!!?

The new series of films were apparently rubbish because Rey was a Mary Sue and they didn’t respect Luke’s character enough (ironically by actually trying to give him one)... but this series is amazing because they parachuted in a character never previously mentioned in it to destroy the entire final threat in one fell swoop and utter about 6 words - How does that work!?

At what point do Star Wars fans gain the requisite self awareness to understand how damaging their baby brained obsession with nostalgia is?... cos if it’s not this, or the 40098888 other things deliberately aimed at appeasing them, that the rest of us have had to listen to them whinge about not being good enough - but which they keep getting given more of for some fecking reason!! then the franchise is just on a long prolonged death spiral to meaninglessness...

And if so, roll on that day, I say.... kill it. Kill it all... Kill it with fire! Mwa hahahaha!.. at least then the rest of us can finally move on...

For once, I’d probably agree with just about everything you’ve said there. The best thing about that episode was the baby Yoda and Mando stuff because that’s what the show has been about. And as much as I absolutely love Star Wars, I preferred it to Luke showing up. It’s also one of the few things they’ve given Pedro Pascal to actually do and he was able to portray the emotion the audience was feeling. For fans of Star Wars though, Luke showing up to save the day is akin to Alex Ferguson coming back to win United the league this season so it can’t surprise you when people love it because they’ve become invested in it from they were kids.

I just wondered why you put yourself through it because The Mandalorian pretty much only exists for the man children who love Star Wars. Just about every good thing about it, from baby Yoda to Boba Fett, is things we love from the original films. And even I was very much on the fence with it up to the last four or five episodes. For the most part it’s been formulaic pap with good visuals and a great soundtrack. Which, of course, you could argue Star Wars always was I suppose.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
And if so, roll on that day, I say.... kill it. Kill it all... Kill it with fire! Mwa hahahaha!.. at least then the rest of us can finally move on...

It can't be killed, it's been on the rise since Star Wars Christmas Special even when George Lucas stepped back from directing after damaging his own work of life.

The hair was cut by midichlorians in Gideon's blade. (Actually decent scene that fight was.)

Mockney

I just wondered why you put yourself through it because The Mandalorian pretty much only exists for the man children who love Star Wars. Just about every good thing about it, from baby Yoda to Boba Fett, is things we love from the original films. And even I was very much on the fence with it up to the last four or five episodes. For the most part it’s been formulaic pap with good visuals and a great soundtrack. Which, of course, you could argue Star Wars always was I suppose.
Counter point: Formulaic pap is fine. All of Star Wars is that from my perspective... And you can quite easily digest this series without knowing who either Boba Fett or Yoda are... the former of which only showed up for the last few eps, looked a bit fat, and was subsequently easily out-badassed a single episode later by that legendary legacy Star Wars character - bald middle aged comedian Bill Burr.

Last edited:

acnumber9

Counter point: Formulaic pap is fine. All of Star Wars is that from my perspective... And you can quite easily digest this series without knowing who either Boba Fett or Yoda are... the former of which only showed up for the last few eps, looked a bit fat, and was subsequently easily out-badassed a single episode later by that legendary legacy Star Wars character - Bill Burr.
Yeah, I can’t watch Boba Fett without wondering what the hell he was eating while in that Sarlacc. We all have different tastes, I really dislike procedurals, so the only thing really keeping me interested was the Star Warsy stuff. But, I know some people like a crime of the week type show. I won’t have a bad word said about that Bill Burr cameo though. He was excellent. Or Timothy Olyphant playing that Timothy Olyphant character. But that was in the 15th episode, what was there really before that that wasn’t almost instantly forgettable?

Mockney

Timothy Olyphant is indeed a supremely sexy being... though somehow managed to look both better and worse in that armour, by virtue of his incredibly slender torso making it look a bit like one of those plastic fancy dress children’s centurion uniforms.

Still, his great hair made up for it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Ya. The way they had set up that fight, and with the time left in the episode, there had to be some deus ex machina or something really weird to save them. I thought it would be the baby itself doing some force powers, and given the reaction here before I watched it ("it went there"), I thought it would be either the baby using the patented evil force power (lightning), or some of the good guys to get killed off.

it was unruly enough he might have been doing it himself, at least based on my efforts since covid.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
The SW deepfakes are quite good, Harrison Ford in Solo is impressive too. That said Leia still looks like a CGI but I suspect it's due to them improving an existing CGI. I think it works better with actors that have a resemblance to their deep fake replacements. Anyway it's a scary app...imagine the potential fake news.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

And if so, roll on that day, I say.... kill it. Kill it all... Kill it with fire! Mwa hahahaha!.. at least then the rest of us can finally move on.... or otherwise embrace a hellscape future where the Star Wars films of 2045 are still being pumped out 10 at a time, for the sole benefit of an increasingly dwindling and angry bunch of 70 year olds...

Why do you even bother watching any Star Wars if you don't value or enjoy nostaligia? Just to get pissed off and then trash it on an internet forum?

Sylar

Why do you even bother watching any Star Wars if you don't value or enjoy nostaligia? Just to get pissed off and then trash it on an internet forum?
For the interactions and responses clearly. I mean its clear by the number of edits too.
Its not even an instant reaction, its done on purpose for that very reason.

Not every show needs phenomenal writing. This does fine with what it has. It's immensely popular and there's no need to change anything.

My thoughts too. Not everything has to be 'similar' or be constructed similar. Its weird to think that especially for a show thats successful but seemingly claiming its not (or that its suffering for not doing what other shows are doing)?

hungrywing

All I can hope for now is that Kylo didn’t kill Grogu, because that would make the sequel trilogy even worse - which I genuinely didn’t think was possible.
Best case scenario: by the time that comes around, everyone's unified in 'the ST is absolute trash, just do away with it'. Worst case, they do a really good job of tying into it and then spawning off so many good storylines that no one gives a crap.

I felt the choice of music with you-know-who's introduction was abit off. Wasn't seamless.
Slightly into when it happens, there's a mix of two score cues. Each is truncated to the point I wouldn't even venture it into the category of 'subtle'. They consciously stop short of any overt signaling. It's like they were trying to toe the line between 'should we?' and 'okay, even one picometer further and it'd just be too obvious. We don't want to rob anyone of the oomph later on.'

You're not wrong; but it's also an extremely tough decision to make.

"Imperial March and Binary Sunset". Happens at 30:49.

Yeah, there seems to be an attempt to shy away from the original score in this and the sequel trilogy, despite it both being epic and appropriate.
Dude physically can't hear what John Williams hears. (It's particularly 99.99999% clear from the credits score.)

This is not a diss on LG. JW is just that much on another plane.

Last edited:

Traub

To be fair, they had to show some Jedi destroying the dark troopers as it drew Grogu in - would he have wanted to go with if he didn’t see that on the monitor?

besides that, I would’ve preferred to have seen Mando destroying the troopers using the darksaber. I think that would’ve set up the next stage of the show (Mandalore) even better.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm almost through series 1. Loving it without thinking it is anything deep or meaningful. I'd say it has captured much of the charm of the first film.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm almost through series 1. Loving it without thinking it is anything deep or meaningful. I'd say it has captured much of the charm of the first film.
Thats great - that's exactly how i feel about it to. The good news is that Season 2 is even better than the first 1 in my opinion.

Spoony

The People's President

Second is even better especially once it starts motoring. But yeah better than the films. Easily.

Norris

I've only watched the original trilogy before this, but I love The Mandalorian. Really so well made and damn, Baby Yoda and Mando make a great partnership. Can't get enough of Cara Dune either. :drool:

Conor

He needs something to write obtuse essays about.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I've only watched the original trilogy before this, but I love The Mandalorian. Really so well made and damn, Baby Yoda and Mando make a great partnership. Can't get enough of Cara Dune either. :drool:
I reckon she’s going to feature prominently in their new Rangers of the New Republic series. Assuming they don’t remove her for her comments on Covid/US elections.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Normally I'd balk at someone like Luke showing up too but in this instance I thought it was justified.

Plot-wise we know Grogu had called out for a jedi. Based on everything we know about the Star Wars universe at this point, Luke is simply the most obvious person to answer that call. I mean what other random jedi turning up would make more sense? Plus for Grogu leaving to work as well as it does it helps that the person he's leaving with is Luke Skywalker rather than some other randomer the audience doen't know or trust. Within the context of the story (and with us knowing some jedi was coming) it was justified.

I definitely didn't wince in the way I did with some of the examples of nostalgia-heavy fan service in the films, or even the Vader scene in Rogue One which Star Wars nerds love but I thought was a bit cringe (despite being a similar scene, really). Maybe that's because this series knows how to handle its fan service better. Or maybe it's because I wanted the films to try different things and challenge the audience, whereas I think this is fine being what it is.

The only issue is that the rendering of Luke looked pretty crap. But hey, a bit of shonkiness has never hurt Star Wars. Generally, season 2 was a step up on season 1 across the board.

Norris

I reckon she’s going to feature prominently in their new Rangers of the New Republic series. Assuming they don’t remove her for her comments on Covid/US elections.
Oh crap! And I had just followed her on Insta :(