Film The Marvels

Oldyella

Yeah this wasn't great..

Cast weren't bad I thought, but it was all over the place.

Bole Top

this and The Eternals I think are the only ones I couldn't finish from all the Marvel movies. I like the actress from other movies and I even liked the first movie, but this? this is insulting. it's actually incredible how they managed to come from mostly entertaining summer blockbusters to this. garbage.

RedDevil@84

How does it rank against the likes of Black Widow, Thor: Love and Thunder, Eternals

mu4c_20le

Thor
Black Widow
Marvels
Eternals

My personal order. Cast was decent but the writing and directing just seemed all over the place. Still not as bad as Eternals mind.

Bebe

I tried watching this last night, got about halfway through before giving up. I don't think it was much worse than most of marvels recent offerings for what that's worth, but it's still borderline unwatchable.

MiceOnMeth

Thor
Black Widow
Marvels
Eternals

My personal order. Cast was decent but the writing and directing just seemed all over the place. Still not as bad as Eternals mind.
I really liked Eternals and Black Widow. Thor and the marvels are a bit naff.

Unam333

I really liked Eternals and Black Widow. Thor and the marvels are a bit naff.
Eternals, Black Widow, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Doctor Strange 2, The Marvels, Thor Ragnarok, Shang-Chi, Black Panther 2 all good movies imo.

Thor 4 and Guardians of the Galaxy 3 I still have to watch.

Didn't really like Ant-Man 2 and especially hated Kang.

Sylar

I disliked black widow. It was terrible, and I usually have a low bar in terms of entertainment. It would have made sense if she was some out of world person or godlike person. But she basically had crash after crash and came out ok each time.

Love and thunder had a great soundtrack but was a step down from Thor in Ragnarok and IW. About par with him in endgame I guess.
Eternals was different but it was one of the few I didn't watch in the cinema but needed two sittings to finish it. Think they wasted their cast and it really needed a series. And there's still no mention of that damn thing sticking out of earth.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Eternals, Black Widow, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Doctor Strange 2, The Marvels, Thor Ragnarok, Shang-Chi, Black Panther 2 all good movies imo.

Thor 4 and Guardians of the Galaxy 3 I still have to watch.

Didn't really like Ant-Man 2 and especially hated Kang.
Thor 4 is terrible and Guardians 3 is great.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
As someone who's been critical of these films I'd say The Guardians of the Galaxy movies have largely been good.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
In phase 4 they are not even trying to go deep in describing characters. Wanda is the only content where they manage to show struggles, raise and fall of one hero. Everything else was; here is our hero(s), there is our villian. Fight!

Lazy writting all over the place.

Sylar

In phase 4 they are not even trying to go deep in describing characters. Wanda is the only content where they manage to show struggles, raise and fall of one hero. Everything else was; here is our hero(s), there is our villian. Fight!

Lazy writting all over the place.
Phase five has been better. I did enjoy shangchi and the Spidey movie

MiceOnMeth

I don't think guardians 3 is all that great. The humour felt very forced and awkward. Rocket had a good story but the rest just missed the mark for me

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I watched it last weekend.

It started off bad, then was sort of threatening to be ok once the main characters started interacting.

Then the bit with the planet of singing people happened. This is possibly the most annoying and dumb scene I've ever watched in any film. Setting a film in space and having magic exist means you can basically add in anything you want without explanation. This isn't an excuse to fill it with absolute crap. Why would I care what happens from this point on when they turned the destruction of an entire planet of people into a cringeworthy comedy sketch?

If the film had any self respect it should have ended with an apology after this scene and deleted itself from existence. Instead it crawled along to some kind of ending.

I don't remember who the bad guy was. I remember it making no sense. Why would a civil war cause the sun to stop working or all the water to just disappear?

They also tried to make Captain Marvel seem less over powered by having her be able to effortlessly reignite a sun, and tried to make her less of a knob by having her very briefly regret genociding a planet until someone gave her a hug.

It still wasn't as bad as Thor 4

decorativeed

I watched it last weekend.

It started off bad, then was sort of threatening to be ok once the main characters started interacting.

Then the bit with the planet of singing people happened. This is possibly the most annoying and dumb scene I've ever watched in any film. Setting a film in space and having magic exist means you can basically add in anything you want without explanation. This isn't an excuse to fill it with absolute crap. Why would I care what happens from this point on when they turned the destruction of an entire planet of people into a cringeworthy comedy sketch?

If the film had any self respect it should have ended with an apology after this scene and deleted itself from existence. Instead it crawled along to some kind of ending.

I don't remember who the bad guy was. I remember it making no sense. Why would a civil war cause the sun to stop working or all the water to just disappear?

They also tried to make Captain Marvel seem less over powered by having her be able to effortlessly reignite a sun, and tried to make her less of a knob by having her very briefly regret genociding a planet until someone gave her a hug.

It still wasn't as bad as Thor 4
I agree with all of that, except for the fact I think it is much worse than Thor 4, which at least was competently edited and had a great (just underused) villain in Christian Bale.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I agree with all of that, except for the fact I think it is much worse than Thor 4, which at least was competently edited and had a great (just underused) villain in Christian Bale.
The fact they wasted Bale on Thor Thor made it even worse for me.

I couldn't take it seriously because it didn't even try to take itself seriously, and I couldn't take it as a joke either because none of it was funny.

These films have tried to go in too many directions at once. We now have an outer space universe, multiverses of universes with space in them, the quantum realm universe which presumably exists in every multiverse and which you can also time travel in but only to other multiverses and only in the quantum verse which makes no sense. Now we have xmen as well. Some of the films are funny joke haha and some aren't, and most can't decide if they are or aren't.

Every film now has characters in it and/or missing bits of the plot from TV series that I haven't watched.

Adamsk7

If Deadpool 3 is bad then honestly Marvel may be done. They won’t be able to continue spending $300m on movies that don’t make much money.
it’s amazing to even think that after the heights of the first 10 yrs and IW/Endgame

Andy_Cole

Finally watched it. The movie was better than I expected. It’s obviously the same formula. I’ve not seen a marvel film in a while I guess. Kamala Khan was good. Also enjoyed seeing Vod from fresh meat as the villain. Didn’t watch secret wars though so maybe I missed some important plot points?

Andy_Cole

If Deadpool 3 is bad then honestly Marvel may be done. They won’t be able to continue spending $300m on movies that don’t make much money.
it’s amazing to even think that after the heights of the first 10 yrs and IW/Endgame
Not sure how much importance this will have in the MCU. I think they’re massively banking on fantastic 4 and XMen to revive it.

decorativeed

Finally watched it. The movie was better than I expected. It’s obviously the same formula. I’ve not seen a marvel film in a while I guess. Kamala Khan was good. Also enjoyed seeing Vod from fresh meat as the villain. Didn’t watch secret wars though so maybe I missed some important plot points?
Secret Wars hasn't been made yet. Vod was fun in Fresh Meat, but they didn't give her much to work with here, as the villain was entirely forgettable.

MiceOnMeth

Yeah I don't see why everyone has jumped on it saying it's the worst marvel movie by far etc. it's a fine 90 minute popcorn flick and Kamala Khan really shone.