The Mata Substitution

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I hope he smooths it over with Mata. Sounded like a reasonable explanation from Jose, but forgot Miki is not much taller than Mata so then it doesn't make sense again, but Miki's stronger I suppose.
Jose doesn't want to alienate the Spanish contingent so early in the season - DDG in particular.
He wanted to bring Miki on to waste time not for added height

)_(

Mourinho even admitted himself that Mata was angry. Not sure why some are making it out like he wasn't bothered. Will he be over it tomorrow? I'd like to think so, but doesn't mean he wasn't angry/annoyed initially.
Fair enough, never heard of a footballer that wasn't angry or disappointed at being subbed, especially as he was a sub himself. The media are making more of it than it is though with Luckhurst ridiculous observation that he had to be restrained...

El Zoido

Is Mata still doing his blog? Might get some clarifications.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Think Mata was pissed at first but then Mou gave him an explanation and he laughed, probably pissed to be subbed yes but I don't think there is much in it

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Mourinho explained himself quite well tbh. I don't think Mata will have too much of an issue when he watches the interview, especially when Jose also said Mata did everything that was asked of him on the pitch.

Mehul K

It was strange at the time but Mourinho's explanation makes sense I suppose. Mourinho clearly wanted to win this game, I don't think there can be any doubts about his hunger to succeed here. And if he wanted Mata gone, one would imagine he'd be in the reserves with Schweinsteiger.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It seemed a bit weird that on of the coaches was doing all the explaining but from the clips after that it's abundantly clear it's a non-story. Putting that in the same sphere as what's happening with Schweinsteiger is just ridiculous.

Popovic

Not surprising that the media is going to try to spin this that Mata was angry or needed to be "restrained", Mata isn't stupid, we're trying to hold a 2-1 lead in the dying moments of the game and we needed added height. Unfortunate that he isn't taller or better in the air but that's just the way it is. Non story here.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He wanted to bring Miki on to waste time not for added height
I guess, but his explanation was he took Mata off because he's the smallest when Miki isn't much taller. Could have taken someone else off then if he just wanted to waste time?

Anyway, I hope Mata doesn't dwell on this. Better to just move on.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Well if there was any beef with mata and mou then he would not be in the 18 at all. He would be doing what Bastian is, Media would want it over played, but i think The manager will laugh about it.

as-95

The BT pundits said that Mkhitaryan isn't massive at 5'10", but he is still almost 3 inches taller than Mata. Much physically stronger aswell so it was a perfectly acceptable decision.

Bojan11

He said he took Mata off because he was the smallest player and the game was going to end in long balls.
Yeah and he couldn't take off Fellaini or Ibra.

It's not really hard to understand.

Irrational.

Mourinho is ruthless.

Poor Mata :(

I'm sure he'll get over it, but it must be frustrating watching Rooney giving the ball away time after time in your position and you're hooked off after a very tidy half. He can be a top player for us this season. I hope he stays.

RaptorSlo

Height was so much of an issue that he left it until the 93rd minute to sub him on. It was unnecessary and shite man management. It wouldn't be as big of an issue if it was any other player but there's clearly history after how he left Chelsea.
No, height was not an issue... because he didn't sub either of the tall guys.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I guess, but his explanation was he took Mata off because he's the smallest when Miki isn't much taller. Could have taken someone else off then if he just wanted to waste time?

He said he took Mata off because he was the smallest player and the game was going to end in long balls.
He said he wanted to take someone off to waste time and it wasn't going to be Ibrahimovic or Fellaini as they are tall so it was Rashford, Herrera and Mata to pick from. Mata is the smallest so he went for him

It's not that complicated

Reyoji-Utd

There was an interview that Jose said very clearly and I think he did to all the players he mention that will be part of the squad that it's a squad game and every players that being part of the squad will have to play for the team, be it one minute as a sub.

From what it look likes, Mata maybe not happy but I think he will understand that it's for tactical purpose. He might need explanation afterward but I think with his intelligence, he would understand it and take it as adult.

Media just want to have some story to write from now till atleast the window closed. Not much transfer story for them especially pogba already wrapped up.

Reactions: Invictus

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
feck the English media, let's relocate to Korea.

AndyJ1985

It's just a typical tactical move by Mourinho. Mata may have initially felt disappointed but he's a professional and will have quickly forgotten about it.

As usual it's a case of a mountain being made from a mole hill and any excuse to turn something in to a big drama. In reality there's nothing to see here.

LouisDanGaal

I love this thread. Why is nobody taking into account mkhy's feeelings, hes been sent on for 60 seconds, I'd be more pissed off if I was him

podurban2

He wanted to waste time; takes off the shortest player. Pretty simple logic behind that really. He is not going to go out and say he wanted to waste time though.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
It was the right move. Can't believe mata even looked suprised. Wasn't as if it was eboue style.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Nonsense, if Jose does not want him why put him on the bench ahead of Young, Depay, Jones, Darmian etc?

Also why bring him on before Mkhi if he wants him out?
Hence proved Jose loves Mata. He couldn't care less about Mata when he was best player at Chelsea 2 years back, but suddenly developed man-love for him an United.
It's pre-season, it doesn't matter who plays now and where. I am not indicating anything on this game. But even my dog knows that Mata is finished at United.

Acole9

Outstanding
I can't believe this is even up for discussion, just a time filler for BT Sports programme to carry on because they had run out of other things to talk about.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Wait till the story does a few rounds then it wiil be "Mata needed to be restrained from belting Mou" obviously what Mourinho said after match is the truth. Taller players needed to defend against Leicester high ball tactics in the closing stages. And Mata done all that was asked of him.